The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Watership Down

Raptor · 279 · 21823

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thyme overheard that last statement from Mayberry and he did not like it much.

"Ehem..." he coughed "I appreciate your concern about my safety, Mayberry, but I can protect myself rather well. I was going to join Owsla back in our warren after all. If you think that I am completly defenseless because I got caught in snare, then you are wrong." he said firmly.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Mayberry turned to face Thyme and stood on her hind legs as she gave him a cold glare and replied, "I am very certain you can look after yourself, but I as a former Owsla captain take the protection of our warren seriously! I will not allow the warren to lose a buck with as much character or wisdom as you...so I will be placing myself at the back of our trail when we move...is that clear?!"

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"It is perfectly clear when you say it in that way." Thyme answered with grin, before turning to Thistle "So... Are we moving now or we will wait a little longer here, Thistle-rah?" he asked, for the first time using leader's suffix.

"I think it would be best to go now, Thistle. Staying in the open at daylight might be dangerous. Besides... The faster we will get to big water, the sooner we will be able to think out the idea how to cross it." Neltita said.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry nodded her head in agreement with Thyme's suggestion on moving now.
"It is the safer option." she said aloud.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"Yes. Get the others together. We're going to use Mayberry's idea of moving in a line." Thistle replied at last. "It does seem like the safest option." Without another word, he hopped over to Walnut, to get him moving.

Most of the Rabbits had passed into the slower, picky state of feeding that proceeded the hasty, hungry feeding that occured earlier. It would not be too hard to get them moving.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry waited for the other rabbits to get moving, and she turned to Thyme and asked, "Well ya gonna move or what? We can't sit here all day ya know..."

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"I am going, I am going." Thyme murmured in response, hopping forward "I just hope I wont have to take orders from her for the rest of my life..." he said under his breath.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
As the rabbits gathered, Thistle explained. "We're going to have to move in a line. It may not seem safe, but it should keep anyone from getting lost."

None of the rabbits protested. They could see nothing wrong with the plan.

"Now, I'm rather willing to get moving. I'll lead." Said Thistle. He turned to continue onward, but then sat, to wait for the others to line up behind him.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry sitting at the very end of the line smiled and called out to Thistle, "Everyone is ready, you can start hopping Thistle-rah."

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thistle surveyed the rabbits one more time, and started to move on. Walnut was close behind him, not at all willing to be stuck near the back. Most of the other rabbits fell into line rather uneasily.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry smiled as the line began to move and before she moved along with the others she cast a glance back once more to ensure the groups safety, and knowing the path behind them was clear she nodded her head and hopped after Thyme hoping that they would reach the river soon.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thistle took one quick glance back, then continued to lead the others away from the flipped wheelbarrow. Soon, it was out of sight.

"I have a feeling that we just avoided some sort of horrible problem." Said Thistle.

Walnut started to lag behind, slightly. His foot had started to ache again, despite him keeping it clean.

Thistle, unfortunatly, did not notice. He was too busy keeping alert for elil, or any other hazards. He was also on the lookout for any sign of water.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry could tell something was wrong despite being at the end of the line of rabbits and she asked aloud, "Hey Thyme, could you make sure Walnut is alright...we seem to be moving a bit slower than before...he might need some help."

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Alright. I am on it." Thyme responded, hopping forward and passing some other rabbit. When he had got to Walnut he watched him closly first. Wounded foot looked clean, but it surely wasn't healed yet.

"Is everything okay, Walnut?" he asked smaller buck.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"It's my foot." Walnut said, in his nervous tone. "It doesn't hurt really bad... but it's starting to ache again."

Thistle paused. 'Could that be...?' He thought. He had heard something a short way away. But it was not the foreboding, slight rustling from the wheelbarrow.

It was the sound of running water.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry was glad to see the line still progressing ahead, but her ears picked up a unique sound, much like running water...and she immediately froze up, almost to the point of not bothering to breath...she absolutly hated admitting this...but she was afraid...and although she wanted to move, and make it seem she was alright, she couldn't against everything she did, she just wouldn't move out of fear.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thistle paused, as soon as he heard several rabbits stopping behind him. He turned around, and immediatly saw that Mayberry had frozen up, from some unknown fear.

Thistle's first reaction was to be frightened himself, because it was terrifying to see another rabbit go tharn. But there wasn't anything to be frightened of, at least, not anymore then anywhere else.

"Mayberry?" Thistle questioned, hopping closer to the small doe. "What happened? Are you alright?"

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry heard Thistle speaking to her, but she couldn't respond even if she wanted to...the fear she felt was gripping her entire body. The fear was so great she stopped shaking and laid her body down onto the grass and began to whimper as her eyes darted back and forth as if she were dreaming, and finally she spoke.

"I...I can't...the water...ran red with blood...m-my brother...we lost him...to the...red river...and...I lost...myself...in the river..."

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
As Mayberry started to cower on the ground, Thistle became worried. Her mumbling was frightening the others, and that was a major risk.

"Mayberry?" Thistle questioned, nervously. "Mayberry!" He nudged her side. Her cowering and muttering had caused Walnut to shrink back in fear.

Then, Thistle remembered when Mayberry had muttered in a similer manner. When she'd been asleep, under the brush by the wood.

But there wasn't time to puzzle over that now.

Thinking quickly, Thistle said "Mayberry, you're an Owsla officer! You shouldn't be frightened of some water!"

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Mayberry looked up at Thistle with tears in her eyes and shouted, "It's not the water I'm afraid of you fool! I..I don't want to lose another member of our Warren to a Homba AND the river! Now...j-just let me...grieve..." She then set her head back onto the grass and continued to cry.