The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Barbandunga volcano

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's now been two months since the volcano Barbandunga in Island first erupted and never stopped since. The eruption type is a fissure eruption, meaning that lava flows out of a rift in the ground (so there's no actual "volcano" to be seen though the eruption takes place some miles north of the actual volcano (which IS a mountain)). There is only one crater left producing a huge amount of lava (it's the second biggest eruption of an iceland volcano in recent history, only the Laki eruption in 1781 (I think) producing more lava. Barbandunga is currently at roughly 1km?. That's the estimated amount of lava the eruption has produced so far.
Current size of lava field
The total size is about 65 km? currently... and counting ;)

Some lovely resources are webcams. There exist 4 of them and, in spite of the fact that they are mostly showing nothing more than fog (due to the bad weather in Iceland), the rare moments where they actually work are worth it!
Barbandunga 1
Barbandunga 2 (working RIGHT NOW! Check it out! :D
Barbandunga 3
Barbandunga 4

That's it for now. I might update this thread regularly, if there are significant events (or once I find some time to gather some videos and pictures ^^)
Inactive, probably forever.

kitkatze

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I wish you could like posts on here.

Thank you for posting. Very cool.:)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thank you :)

I've just stumbled across some videos so I thought I might as well show you these as well ^^

Video 1: (it's already a little older. Nowadays, there aren't fountains of lava anymore...)

Video 2: (this one is more recent. A lava lake has formed and the lava is just flowing out rather than shooting out of the crater with force ;))

The webcam Bardarbunga 2 shows the eruption zoomed in (and lately the cams are almost always sending pictures) so I'd recommend to cast a look at it whenever you feel like. Nothing spectacular will happen but it's still an astonishing sight :yes

EDIT: Just found yet another video which is even newer. The lava lake is so scary from very little distance  :blink:

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
And four monts later, the eruption has eventually stopped for the time being. However, many scientist predict that it's not over yet. The duration of the eruption so far (6 months) is proving that there seems to be a good magma supply.

I'll just leave a video here: Here you go

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
I know that we are here to discuss the eruption, but I can't help but notice how beautiful is that place... man, the lava makes it look like a dream.

I wish I can go there someday.

Thanks for sharing that awesome vid, dude!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You're welcome :) Unless the eruption picks up again some day, there won't be very much to see though aside from a lot of cooled down lava and a huge crater :p

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/