The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Odd Facts of the LBT World

Kor · 47 · 6202

Sharptooh #436

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I don't know if anyone has noticed this before, but ever since LBT XI, Fast Biters (Velociraptors or Deinonychus) have two clawed hands, while they're supposed to have three claws on each hand. Same thing with XII's Spinosaurus.

Speaking of claws, in LBT II, chomper has two fingers, while in V he begins to have three fingers.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I didn't notice that about the fast biters, but I don't have any movie past 11 so would not see those.  

I did notice that about Chomper, when I was getting some screenshots of him for lbt wiki, but I never did before.  Guess they are saying he grew an extra finger on each hand between 2 and 5.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Figuring out the exact connotation of such exclamations as gee, geez, golly, sounds, heavens etc. is one of the more difficult tasks for the non-native speaker as even for a native (no matter the language) it would be almost impossible with the means of our languages to describe such exclamation's connotations. Also much depends on how something is said. Is there any religious connotation to the "golly" (used by the Dink character Shilah (if that's her spelling) quite frequently) at all? And is the "Sounds!" frequently used? I only ever heard / read it in western stories written by a man who never ever even saw America.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True.  One would have to do research into the origin of a word to find out and most have no interest in doing such.  Most just use words as the common usage is for them, golly, gee whiz, ect for exclamations of surprise, and others for their common usage.  I forgot the name, but there are some who do study the origin of words as part of their profession, most do not.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
i kind of like etymology and i will try mah best to find out about some of those words.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
i found:

gee: exclamation of surprise, 1895, euphemistic for Jesus. Form gee whiz is attested from 1885.

gosh:  1757, altered pronunciation of God. Probably from by gosse (mid-16c.).

golly:  euphemism for God, first recorded 1775, in a source that refers to it as "a sort of jolly kind of oath, or asseveration much in use among our carters, & the lowest people."

(found an online etymology dictionary)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quite a bit of research you did.  The origins of words can be very interesting.  

Though I doubt the scriptwiters meant anything religious in using those words.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
definitely.
the actual religious connotation of the terms certainly vanished during the ages of daily use.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
You know what else is odd: the sudden appearance of the pink-colored females. While I'm not opposed to it, I think that it is a little stereotypical. The list of them:

-Sue
-Tria
-Tricia
-Ruby
-Ruby's mother
-That pink yellow-bellied creature in the 13th movie

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Shinji-Lee,Sep 28 2008 on  10:07 AM
definitely.
the actual religious connotation of the terms certainly vanished during the ages of daily use.
Very likely.  It can be interesting to see what the origins of words are from time to time.  Though some folks make that their main profession, studying the origin of words in various languages, and such..

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile
i just notice something...watching >the lonely journy>.
i might be wrong: are they celebrating the time of the great giving? from movie 3?
how does tria know and be able to tell about it? she wasn't there, if i remember correctly.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They May be calibrating it.  I don't recall if they ever say what they are celebrating.

Shinji-Lee

• Chomper
    • View Profile

>this will be chompers first time of great giving<
>...everyone learned a lesson about caring for one another...<
this was, what grandma longneck said, which made me think, she means the happenings from movie 3

>and now we celebrate being able to share with each other<
this was, what tria said, which made me think, she knows about these happenings.

am i concluding wrong or is there something?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
All that I can guess is she may have been told about it offscreen or at some point before the episode started.  Either that or some folks messed up and it wasn't caught, or they just don't care about continuity.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Something I always wondered in regards to the song "Friends for Dinner": How in the world does the Gang know what soup, stew, pot pie, and even a la mode are :blink:  :huh:?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Or liver for that manner.   The ooc reason is in songs they use non lbt words since I guess it is easier to  get rhymes instead of having to redo the song idea to fit in using lbt terms, which I would prefer.  

For the IC reason you could, maybe, assume the male rainbowface talked about that offscreen when the camera was not on him or the gang, and the female didn't hush him up, or was away from him and could not, or the gang heard them talking to each other when they didn't think anyone was nearby.    Though how Icky knew how to use the words cold and july, unless they met the strange rainbowfaces too, or overheard them talking.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There are more such cases. For example the rainbowfaces don't seem to assume Littlefoot to know the word "species" (indeed the characters usually refer to it as "kind" or "sorts") while in the song Eggs Ozzy uses so scientific a name as "Struthiomimus".
Apart from the words "cold" (which LBT dinosaurs might arguably know) and July (no way they would know about a specific part of the year to be named after a Roman family in many million years) Ichty mentions the term "bed", "bag", and "sock" in that song and none of these items are likely to be known by any dinosaurs. I suppose that some of the songs are just to be seen apart from the canon of the usual dialogue.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Likely easier to use some words used in modern language instead of making the song writers stick only to words and terms that would be used in LBT, but it would lead to songs that fit in better I think.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah, I remember the first Land Before abnormality I ever noticed, and it might possibly be the very first one. You guys remember how odd it was how fast Spike grew up in like, I dunno, around fifteen seconds? I mean, Ducky gets flung about thirty feet away from the others, then finds an egg that is barely larger than she is. Inside we find the quiet, baby spiketail, who manages to increase in size by at least five times- in less than a day? He ends up being about Cera's size from recently hatching and the other four either didn't notice or they just didn't find that unusual. Well I did. I understand that Spike's size was for the flow of the movie. I mean, if they hadn't all stood on the now big Spike, they probably wouldn't have reached the leaves on top of that tree. And it would have been awkward for Ducky to ride on someone the same size as her. And Spike wouldn't have been able to help push that bolder on that sharptooth if he was still a little guy. So I his size was important, but that unproportionate growth was, well, a bit out of the ordinary. Since Spike was best at his final size, it might have been more realistic if perhaps Ducky had found him sleeping in the middle of nowhere quite some time after he was born. Then this oddity could have been prevented. But hey, if all Land Before Time films and episodes were perfect, there wouldn't be as much to talk about, would there?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I agree, Ducky finding him sleeping at his larger size would make more sense.  I guess it has to be either chalked up to being a continuity mistake, a change in character concept but they didn't go back to change the earlier animation for 1 of a number of reasons, or the odder one, Spike can grow a bit larger at will, but can't control it.