The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Visiting Rome

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey everyone!

I'm going to Rome with school next week, leaving this Sunday. We won't have internet there, so I won't be on the gof.

We're gonna visit:
  • Old Rome
  • Modern Rome
  • Catholic Rome (the Vatican)
  • The Vesuvius
It'll be lots of fun, and I'll make sure to take lots of pictures!

Back by Saturday! :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck.  Hope the travel is safe and all of you have a great time.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks guys!

Okay, I've packed my bags and leaving in a couple of hours! :) See you in a week :D

Oh and I'll make sure to take pictures ^^

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
That's awesome!  :wow Have fun on your journey!  :lol:

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The Vatican? Wow, nice man.  Lucky you, I'm not Christian or anything like that, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Vatican myself, especially that big church, I think it was St. Peter's Church, it just looks magnifacent from what I've seen ot if.

But yes, good luck anyway on your trip and have fun ^^

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck on your trip there and back.  Have fun.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks all!

@Drake yes we're going to the big church, haha :D

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
lol, alrighty then, sounds fun indeed.  And no problem either.

Also, Rome in general sounds fun too, I mean, I would love to see the Colliseum myself.  I take it you're also going to see it?  I mean, is it part of the school trip?  Although by the sounds of it, seems like it could be monuments and what have you that you visit, am I right on the matter?

Just curious is all XD

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yea we're gonna visit the Colosseum too! (And all the other ancient buildings :))

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You...you....you lucky person you! :lol:

Yes, at the moment, I envy you with you going to Rome and the Vatican, seeing all those ancient buildings.

But yes, it's still awesome to hear that you're heading there and again, have fun ;)

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Have a good time! Take lots of pictures! I'm sure you'll have a lot to tell us when you get back.  :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun.  Hope you continue having fun.   :goodluck

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Peekaboo!

After a long week I'm back! I'm at a birthday party of family members right now... But I'll post my experience soon! Promise! :D

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Alright, I'm gonna post some piccies and a travel report.

Here's the summarized version

Things I really liked:
  • The huge awesomeness of all the ancient buildings
  • The fact that they were huge
  • Seeing everything from the movie Angels & Demons irl
  • The Trevi Fountain was beautiful, I sat there for an hour
  • The special things to see in Rome are really close to each other... It won't take more than an hour to cross from one place to another walking.
  • The weather was beautiful, except for Friday
  • I didn't get a sunburn
  • They have a Disney Store!!!
Things I really disliked:
  • I don't fit in with my age group
  • The campsite we stayed on had buildings that moved when someone walked past
  • The kids in my age group won't go quiet before 3am
Things that caught my attention:
  • There are a lot of half-naked ladies on totally unrelated advertisements
  • There is a serious garbage problem in Italy
  • Hardly any Italian speaks or understands English
  • They have multiple kinds of police in Rome
Okay, and now for a detailed Report.

Monday

We arrived in Rome on Monday. We checked in and looked around in the place we  would be staying. After having put away all our luggage we went with the bus and the metro to the Spanish Steps (Scalinata della Trinit‡ dei Monti). The Spanish Steps are basically the meeting point of Rome.

After visiting the Spanish Steps we went and visited the Trevi Fountain. This is a huge fountain which portrayed men and the sea, it was truly beautiful. Legend says that if you throw a coin over your right shoulder into the fountain, your biggest wish will come true.

Random Pictures from this week:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Tuesday

On Tuesday we visited Ancient Rome. The first thing we visited was the Colosseum, which was as huge as I expected. We had a guide there that had lived in Italy for 30 years of her life, but she could speak Dutch since she was born in Holland.

After getting toured through the Colosseum we went to the Forum Romanum, which was the political and religious place in the 1st century. For me this was the main reason to go to Rome, and I must say that even if it doesn't look like much, I really loved it!

We visited a lot of other places that day, including the Pantheon with the oculus, but I don't have any good pictures of that. We got some time off to stroll around in the city with a group... We had some nice pizza that evening! Oh and we had this picture taken, lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wednesday

This day we visited the Vesuvius. Hopped on the bus at 7:30am. Most of the girls were dang scared when the bus climbed the volcano, going through sharp curves in the road. Luckily my parents always took me to very small roads in the mountains in France, so I was used to that.

The view on the Vesuvius was breath taking! At a certain moment there was a bridge which I really didn't want to pass, being afraid of bridges and height. But I did see the crater and it was huge. When I got told that the volcano road we climbed was the actual first crater, I was thinking "whoa, that must have been a heck of an eruption".

After having visited the Volcano we went to one of the 5 with ash covered cities that have been discovered. We didn't go to Pompeii for that one is too famous and school groups like us would be hard to keep under control. Instead we went to Herculaneum, which according to our guide was an excellent choice.

Once again there wasn't much to see, but I really loved it. To just think that people once lived there, and ran away in terror for a volcano that's erupting is just amazing. I portrayed the way people would have lived when I saw the living rooms, shops and bath houses.

Since the bus trip to the Vesuvius was 3 hours, and the trip back was also 3 hours, we did little else that day.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thursday

On Thursday we went to the Vatican, the small country within Rome. We went to St. Peter's Basilica and it was huge! We've also visited the Vatican Museum

Some pictures:

This is a Tapestry in the Museum.

Friday

This day was just extremely boring. You had free time the WHOLE day, but I had basically seen everything I wanted to... So Iris went and visited the Disney store, which was awesome!!!

I also bought two lion king plushies which were Disney Store only :P:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Looks like you visited many places and had overall quite a bit of fun.  Thanks for all the neat pictures.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
AWESOME!  :wow
*cough* Welcome back!  :D The pics you posted tells me that you had an awesome journey.  :DD
And they have a Disney Store too! With Phineas and Ferb running.  :lol