The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ducky

Petrie. · 91 · 15071

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I agree, militarism and LBT does not really fit.  It seems very few, if any, have made anything like a military or a study of fighting like the martial arts.  Some may say Doc has, but he seems more like one who has practiced being able to use his tail very skilfully, and not made a study of using it to battle sharpteeth, hitting their pressure points and the best spots to stun or cause pain.  

I like the Cave of Many Voices for that reason.  It wasn't the classic Littlefoot saving the day, but Ducky who had a large part, if not the largest part in it.  If not for her the others would not have been able to get to the cave to do their part.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Quote from: Kor,Jul 15 2008 on  11:12 PM
She is smart, and being small does have good points.  I'm just glad they do not use the damsel in distress to often as so many others do.  It's a very easy plot that writers can do who either do not have the talent or are to lazy to come up with another plot.
well... the underdog is oft similar though...

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ducky is one of my favorites. She's just so innocent and naive. I don't particularly find her speech annoying, it's just part of who she is.

Her being the damsel in distress is rather unfortunate, but makes sense since he is the smallest and for all those other reasons. (Though they might think twice if she did know kung-fu.  :DD )

I wonder if Ducky's species isn't so specist as the other species? Her parents did take in Spike without much question. Though I have only recently watched the first movie and the only others I have are the second, third, fourth, sixth, and seventh, so I don't really remember much about Ducky's parents.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Ducky makes of her what her size allows, I guess. She is usually honest in what she says.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some seem to be non speciest.  Ducky's parents and I'd guess Petrie's mother since in the first movie neither one shows disgust or not wanting to travel with Littlefoot, though Littlefoot did show some dislike of Ducky being a non longneck, he lost it pretty quickly though  His mother seems to have had this to some degree, though not to the extreme as Threehorn does & I guess her parents didn't have it much ether and likely quickly lost it while traveling with the combined herd.  From her brief mention of it it seemed to be more like the separate types had always been separate and didn't mix, not any thing to do with longnecks were better then everyone else.  

Also in the tv series Rhett didn't seem to be a speciest.  Shorty didn't either and Bron didn't seem to show any, nor did Rooter, nor Mr. Thicknose.  It would seem that some are speciest but not everyone is.  Many are not.  

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
As for Ducky, I cannot imagine her to be a speciest... it's rare that she shows any anger at all, and I don't think that she has ever shown hatred... she will be an excellent motherly example to her children one day...

And yes, Malte, I agree that developing a "military tradition" in the Great Valley would be unusual, and might spoil the series. I'd imagine that some dinosaurs would fight (such as the Triceratopses and the Sauropods), but that others would simply run or fly away. As I said earlier, Ducky's kind would probably head for the water and swim away in it, which is probably the safest thing for them to do...

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The Great Valley herds don't really need a military tradition. All of the herds probably have their own tactics for dealing with sharp teeth, just like the animals of today.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That's right. Some dinosaurs would fight, others would flee. As I said before, Ducky's species would probably instinctively run for the water and swim away in it.

P.S. If I've been posting a lot lately, it is because I want to get to 1,000 posts....

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I agree: the Great Valley doesn't need a military BUT a dose of militarism adds a refreshing and unusual flavor to LBT. I cite: the LBT fan fic War of the Worlds

*Powers up flame shield*

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, well, there have been a few fights in the valley... no fatalities, though. As for Ducky... I can't really imagine her as a fighter...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
One does not need any military tradition for a brawl, even for a brawl for live and death. The closest things to a "battle" were in LBT 3 and LBT 10, but even there I consider the number of participants (as well as some other factors) as insufficient to think of it in military terms.
As for Littlefoot's prejudices against Ducky in the original movie, he seemed to be still depressed from Cera's attitude towards him but felt compelled to imitate her until he realized he would be much happier being himself rather than her.

Sometimes it is funny where threads can move. We started out with Ducky and ended up with the question of "military traditions in the Great Valley" :rolleyes:

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, if there were to be a military tradition, Ducky would have little part in it. She might be useful as a messenger if swimming through the water is the fastest route, or she might make a good scout (or bait, as she already did), if she can spy on enemies from the water and make a quick escape. When it comes to the actual fighting, Ducky would be relatively useless and would probably instinctively make a run for the water and swim away in it.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Aug 14 2008 on  08:37 PM
When it comes to the actual fighting, Ducky would be relatively useless and would probably instinctively make a run for the water and swim away in it.
Don't forget that in LBT IV and LBT II, Ducky did use projectiles to distract  attackers (coconuts in II and stones in IV). So I'd guess she'd serve as the ranged attacker or "sniper".

Wow. I just realized how dramatically I can violate Ducky's character in my fan fiction and still keep it relatively pure.*Cough*Duckyfightingwiththrownrocksandsticks*cough*

But yeah, it is kinda funny how it moved from "Ducky" to "Military Traditions in the Great Valley".

I wonder if I should start a thread titled "Military Traditions in the Great Valley"? But where would it go? The Party Room or General LBT or the Fridge?

Oh, I forgot to mention Ducky is the equivalent of an 18 year old human in my fan fiction and is large and strong enough to throw objects with enough force to cause injury.

BACK TO SERIOUSNESS:

I think some dinosaurs "culturally" might be more or less xenophobic than others. But this is very difficult if not impossible to judge.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ducky was less of a distraction in those movies and more of an annoyance... still, I suppose she COULD throw things, just not very hard...

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would think she would be able to hurt predators with projectiles more than she would appear to.  After all, she's gotta have strong arms to be such a good swimmer.  Her courageousness is far greater than her size, and she is protective of her friends regardless of physical limitations :yes.  She really is a sweetie :wub:.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes indeed.  Imagine what she'll be line when she's older, in her mid teens at least when she's larger say around Ruby's current size at least.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Aug 23 2008 on  11:53 AM
I would think she would be able to hurt predators with projectiles more than she would appear to.  After all, she's gotta have strong arms to be such a good swimmer.  Her courageousness is far greater than her size, and she is protective of her friends regardless of physical limitations :yes.  She really is a sweetie :wub:.
Not really, technically, her arms would have helped her steer through the water; her feet and tail are what would actually propel her. I imagine that she might be able to kick and use her tail in a fight when she is older, but she would likely use her tail and feet to help herself swim to safety rather than fight.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Ducky is my second favorite of the group, after Spike. She instaltly pierces your heart, and it was really sad to find out what happened to Judith Barsi, the girl who originally voiced her.  :cry

Movie 6---46:21. She got through that and lived to tell...I respect her even more after that

I really liked her voice from 7 and onwards. She sounds like she's growing up.  ;)
I didn't really like her in 6, but I adored her in 7. To see Spike crying at 33:14 over her being gone pratically breaks my heart---thumbs up if you cried, too.  And I thought it was really sweet when they found her in that cave. Spike immediately running to her and giving her a lick is one of the most touching moments in the film; all this is truly proof that he cares about her the most.

I really like how LBT 8 gave us a look at the struggle she was having of feeling unable to express herself. It's something all of us have a hard time with at some point, and while 8 wasn't the best LBT film, it definitely succeeded in this area. Eve though she said she'd never get mad at Spike again, I'd actually like to see her break this "promise". She's most interesting when she's mad.

I liked her espicially in the later seqeuls, by which point Littlefoot was losing his charm, and Petrie had gone from cute to annoying. The only complaint I have about her is her meltdown at 69:37 in 11. Seriously---69:31-70:08 was...the huuuuuuuggge meltdown the series had been edging perilously towards ever since 5.

Movie 6---at 41:34-38. She does what's in her case near-equivalent to dropping the F-bomb!!  :wow

(Spike too seems to have this temporary fits of acrophobia while he sometimes shows an extreme indifference towards heights, for example when he crosses the LBT 5 log smiling relaxed and with closed eyes).

That was so cute.  :smile

And then in 6 he's scared to death to cross the chasm, and I feel so sorry for him. And then he nearly gets gets made into splatter by the tooth that fell off saurus rock. And then he gets his tale stuck in the hollow log.

And just when you think he's had enough in this film...well, you know what I'm getting at.

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
I always wondered what is her species  exactly.An LBT game said that she is an edmontosaurus,but I dont know how official the information is.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Edmontosaurus would not make much sense because that kind didn't have a crest on the head. Ocasionally she has been identified as a Parasaurolophus, but this too doesn't seem to be correct, for not only would the crest on her head be more prominent and a continuation of the ridge of her nose, but we also saw the distinctly different looking Parasaurolophus in some LBT scenes (e.g. there were some during "grandma's lullaby" in LBT 4). I guess our closest bet is the Saurolophus with a less prominent crest than the Parasaurolophus.