The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

chomper's parents

rosie · 6 · 1961

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
It would have been cool if The original sharptooth was Chomper's dad and he didn't die. Or, it would have been better if he was saved by chomper's mom. How do they know Rudy? Did one of her parents know one of them?  :unsure: Maybe it was like that tale with slave christian and the lion who had a thorn in his paw?  :huh:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
We may never know.  Ruby says in I think the Cave of Many Voices that she promised his parents to look after him.  But as far as I know we're not given any details.  Did she meet them.  Does one of her parents know the sharptooth language, did Chomper do all the translating, how did they come to trust her and leave Chomper in her care while she is with her parents is, as far as I know, never revealed.  The flashbacks do not say or show.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It would have been cool if The original sharptooth was Chomper's dad and he didn't die. Or, it would have been better if he was saved by chomper's mom.
The original movie's sharptooth had lost an eye though which was not the case with either of Chomper's parents.
Maybe it was like that tale with slave christian and the lion who had a thorn in his paw?
There is a slight resemblance between that story of Androcles and the lion and "Escape from the mysterious beyond" where one of Redclaws cronies doesn't give away the gang's hiding place after Ducky and Chomper had helped to free him from the rockslide that had jammed his tail. Unlike that lion of the legend Thud (if that was the name of the crony) did not actively save the gang by taking a stand against redclaw on their behalf (while the lion is said to have not just spared Androcles but actively defended him against the other wild animals) but just did not give their hiding place away.

Spike_of_the_Valley

• Ruby
    • View Profile
The original movie's sharptooth had lost an eye though which was not the case with either of Chomper's parents.

When did the original sharptooth lose his eye?  I recall getting hit in the eye on one occasion, but I thought he still had both his eyes in subsequent scenes.  

At any rate, I think it's safe to say the original Sharptooth dies at the end of the first movie.  He was hardcore, but he simply couldn't swim because of his scrawny arms, so I can't see how he could possibly get out of that deep pond.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The movie is kind of ambiguous about this for there is at least one scene in which the right eye of the sharptooth is opened after the chasing of Cera and Littlefoot through the thorny thicket (namely in the scene where Cera is charging the presumed death sharptooth). The main idea of sharptooth's loss of one eye during the chase and his following pursuit of Littlefoot being partly motivated by thirst for revenge was brought up in a land before time book of 1988. This is what the book says about the purchase of Littlefoot and Cera by Sharptooth:
Sharptooth was at their heels, and they could feel the ground tremble. Littlefoot and Cera cowered in the center of the brambles, thinking they were safe, but Sharptooth chewed and ripped through the twisted boughs. Littlefoot could fel the monster's hot breath on his tail. Leaping up to get away he got caught in some thorny black branches. Sharptooth bore down on him with evil glee.
At the very last moment Littlefoot freed himself. One of the hard thorny branches snapped back and hit sharptooth right in the eye. The monster bellowed in pain and reared back from the brambles. Then, with a terrible fury, he plunged back into the thicket, searching for the puny creature that had dared to injure him.
Just a few sentences later it reads:
Closer and closer the monster came. Although one of his eyes was swollen shut, he was growling softly, enjoying his moment of revenge.
The scene in which sharptooth chases Littlefoot and the others out of the sharptooth footprint includes the following line:
With another terrible cry, the big beast thundered toward them, his enormous mouth wide open and his one good eye glinting with hatred.
During the scene of the final fight with the sharptooth the book says:
Petrie saw what was happening and he whistled in fury as he once more zoomed at Sharptooth, landing on his head. He put one wing over Sharptooth's good eye and held on for dear life. [...] Petrie was getting tired holding on to Sharptooth's face, and his wing fell away from the monster's eye. Now that he could see what he was doing, Sharptooth roared in rage and charged at the rock wall - and Petrie.
Illustrations in that book also show the Sharptooth with only one intact eye. It seems very likely that indeed the idea (though not explicitly mentioned) existed for the makers of the movie, for there are many scene in the movie showing Sharptooth with only one intact eye.
For another thread about the original movie's Sharptooth Kacie made a collage of images from the Sharptooth showing him with just one "normal" eye during the scene of the final fight:

In any case I totally agree with you that the original movie's Sharptooth is dead.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
The original Sharptooth is dead. Yes, he was supernaturally tough but he can't swim.

Besides, Chomper's hather does not have the missing eye and if I recall they have different eye colors.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.