The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Differences in naming the LBT-movies

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
hi,
I watched all LBT movies the last time and I noticed that some of them has a difference in meaning in their titles, so I'd like to...
a) discuss about posseble reasons with you all                                                  and
b) know how the movies are called in other languages(and discuss about the titles of them ;) )

so I'll post the German titles(plus translation :D )I hope I'm not the only one

The original was perfektly translated
nr2: In German there are two titles: "Das vergessene Tal"(the forgotten valley)and "Das Abenteuer im Grossen Tal"(which is the translation of the englisch title "The Great Valley Adventure"(I personally grew up with the changed title))
nr3: another well translated title "Die Zeit der grossen Gabe" (The time of the great giving)
nr4: "Im Tal des Nebels"(through the mists) here the meaning is different.They let out the "journey" which changes the meaning,right?
nr5: well translated,too "Die geheimnisvolle Insel"(the mysterious island)
nr6: well translated,too "Der geheimnisvolle Berg der Saurier"(the secret of Saurus Rock)
nr7: well translated,too "Der geheimnisvolle Zauberstein"(the stone of cold fire)
nr8: "Der erste Schnee"(the first snow) here is the meaning a bit different(but in nr8 it's not a big difference between "freeze" and "snow" is it?)
nr9: well translated,too "Die Reise zum grossen Wasser"(journey to big water)
nr10: "Die Grosse Reise"(the great journey) in this movie they used a complety deviating title(why didn't they called it " Die grosse Langhals Migration"(the big Longneck migration) :bang )
nr11: "Das Geheimnis der kleinen Saurier"(the secret of Tinysauruses) here again a deviating title,but in this movie the english title sound a bit...well,I dunno... "invasion"... sounds more like there would be tiny creatures attacking the dinos of the Great Valley :D Maybe the German one is better, hmm...tell me what you think about this ;)
nr12: "Die grosse Flugschau"(the great flight/air show) well,the meaning doesn't change much,but...they should use the english title(the great day of the flyers) imo because it's the name of the event that the movie is about
nr13: "Die Suche nach dem Beerental"(the search for the valley of berries) omg the German title has nothing to do with the english one!!! I dunno which title is better so tell me your opinion :p

ohh shit a very long first threat :DD I hope you don't fall asleep while reading :p
tell me what's going through your mind :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Most of them are pretty much the same. The only differences I can see are:
8: The Big Freeze, rather than the first freeze.
11: Invasion of the Tinysauruses, rather than secret.
12: Great Day of the Flyers.
13: Wisdom of Friends.
And 10 is normally known as the Great Longneck Migration, but as I'm from the UK, I have a European edition, called simply The Great Migration, which is also, interestingly enough, the name of one the original Land Before Time soundtracks.

Another annoying habit of my European copies of the DVDs is that the fifth film has NO sharptooth subtitles for Chomper and his parents! They're just shown growling with no helpful translating captions! Do you have that?

Fortunatley I know all of their lines anyway... :lol

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Then you might be interested in this topic, as well asthis one. As far as I know, the German and Slavic languages' names are either litteral or paraphrased translations. I guess the movie titles were paraphrased in some languages first and foremost to be more agreeable with their grammar ("land before time" doesn't sound good in a language where "before time" means "too early" for example), and second to cater to cultural and historical sensibilities (probably the reason behind avoiding the word "invasion" in the German translation of "Invasion of the Tinysauruses").

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for linking the older threats :) I didn't know there are older one's existing :o
I think you're right that the change of the title of LBT11 has historical reasons

@dosu2dinner I have them in German only, but I can translate them for you...or maybe someone else can do...haven't them in mind,unfortunatily  :bang
Inactive, probably forever.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jan 11 2013 on  08:31 AM
@dosu2dinner I have them in German only, but I can translate them for you...or maybe someone else can do...haven't them in mind,unfortunatily  :bang
No thanks, that's fine. Like I said, I remember all the subtitles anyway.  :lol:

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile