The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Into the Black

Serris · 1584 · 97660

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Soren Almaya awoke to the bleating of his home security system. Quickly throwing on his glasses, he hastily punched in a combination to enter his environmentally sealed and fireproof control center. Taking a seat in the main console, he gasped.

The bright red letters on the screen told him all he needed to know.

Threat: Fire

Swearing profusely, he immediately ordered the CO2 fire suppression system to activate. The next words caused his heart to sink:

To make matters worse, another warning came up:

WARNING! POSSIBLE INTRUDERS APPROACHING HOUSEHOLD!

"Oh no," Soren muttered. Thinking quickly, he unlocked his gun safe and grabbed his Remington 870 shotgun. Despite the fact that compact laser weapons and magnetic accelerators existed and were commonplace, standard firearms were still very popular -- despite modern armor rendering them mostly obsolete. This was mainly due to their relatively low cost, low maintenance and sheer reliability.

He switched on the external cameras and saw a group of figures running away from his house. He also saw red and blue lights in the distance heading to his house.

He'd wait until they arrived before he got out of the safe room.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Captain, this is Officer Echo," Emilena reported from the lead squad car, without a trace of emotion in her voice. "Approaching the suspected augment's living quarters."

"I know; I'm watching online news," the Captain snapped back over his walkie-talkie, from his sealed penthouse in another country. "Why the hell can't you ever keep stings quiet?"

"Augments don't deserve anonymity," she said matter-of-factly, "the world deserves to know of their treachery. Will be using lethal force."

"At least make reasonably sure it's an Augment!" He sighed. "With legally verifiable evidence!"

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
out in the street, m a great dane named marita jones was walking diown the stret, taping away at her laptop, as a police car raced by, lights flashing ' wonder what perp they're going after ' Marita said to herself probably an augment of some kind. ' marita had little love augments, she prefered creatures to be natural, not something that looked like it came out of some old movie about a mad scientist.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The police cars as well as several firetrucks pulled into his driveway. The firefighters got out and began dousing the blaze, fueled by the chemicals he used in his work.

Soren saw them approaching via the cameras. Making sure he appeared to be unarmed, he exited his safe room and made his way to the entrance of his house where he waited for the first available officer.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Officer Echo marched up to the front door. Suspect appeared to be cooperating. Wonderful. Normally, she'd just shoot him (exposed inner cybernetic parts are her favorite legally verifiable evidence), but since she's on probation she cannot carry a firearm.

"Name, occupation, identification," she demanded. "Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law."

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren handed over his ID card. "Soren Almaya. Certified external augmentation service technician."

Inwardly, he didn't like the look this Fox was giving him. It was the look of a bitter law enforcement officer looking to pin someone with a crime.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
From a rooftop nearby, a fox crouched, a hooded jacket covering his entire body, save for the faint shimmer of his augmented eyepiece.  
"Hmph.  Damnit, I was too late.  They already got here."
He muttered to himself, casting his gaze between the officer and the man from the building...

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Mr. Almaya, did you know that if I punch you and you fight back any more than a sack of rice would, that legally counts as 'resisting arrest' and gives me authorization to haul you in for questioning?" She asked bluntly.

After giving a moment to let this sink in she swung her first in a low undercut, aiming for his stomach.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren staggered back from the punch. Luckily, the clothing he wore was inpregenated with shear-thickening fluid to soften the blow. It was a necessity when working around things that could deliver blunt force trauma on par with a car crash. "By the way, choose your next actions carefully, all video and sound is recorded," he said. He looked around, hoping another officer would help him. If worse came to worse, he'd fight back.

But obviously, Soren did not want "assault on a police officer" on his currently clean criminal record. But if this rogue cop was intent on killing him, what choice did he have?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Everything everywhere is recorded, Mr. Almaya..." She narrowed her eyes. She didn't like it when she punched people and they didn't go down. "Mr. Almaya, have you ever constructed, used, or in any way interacted with biomechanical augments?"

Her fellow officers looked slightly uncomfortable but their professionalism stopped them from interrupting an interrogation.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
marita had passed by the open door, long enough to overhear echos threat to soren. ' with all due respect officer' she said coming up to her '  rule 17-B of the police handbook, sections 1-4 forbids use of force without probable cause. a mere 5 second search online can give me, an average jane, that information. surely you know the rules governing your conduct?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Miss Jane, turn around and walk away from these premises immediately or I will indict you for aiding and abetting a possible criminal. Which will give me probable cause to punch your pretty face!" Echo snarled, eyes flashing.

Of course, the dane was right, but if Almaya turned out to be an Augment (which she was sure of), he would void his rights on principal and it wouldn't matter.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"I do not have any augments. However, as I said, I am licensed by the City of Lanthae to perform maintanence and repairs as well as modifications -- within the bounds of the law -- on class 1 and class 2 external augmentations. In addition, I have a restricted license to possess class 3 external augmentations, which as you may know, allows me to possess and work on them but I may not under any circumstances sell them."

(OOC - class 1 external augments are ones that are "normal specification" artificial limbs (no super strength or built in tools). Class 2 external augments are ones with super strength an/or built in tools. Class 3 external augments are limbs with weaponry built into them.)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Have you ever operated on augmentations which do not fall under your legal liscensing, or sold augments to parties without proper government-issued permission?" She demanded.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
with all due respect officer, i know not what this gentlemen is doing nor do i care. but if you strike me, not only will you be in serious trouble with  your superiors, i will not hesitate to defend myself. and of course, if is not assault if the officer initiates the fight. you have absolutely no right to threaten me, a regular citizen, when i have not committed any crime.marita replied curtly.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren's eye twitched. "No. Am I free to go now?"

He looked out of the corner of his eye and noticed that the firefighters were still trying to put out the blaze.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena ignored the chattering dane and answered Almaya's question. "No, now you must consent to a full searching of your residence, with the stated purpose of locating any evidence indicating illegal augment construction or vending."

(OOC: If you ask for the warrant, it will have a typo.)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
thank you mam ' an oc wearing an Sergeant tag  said coming up to marita ' we've got everything under control here.. please be on your way..' he said loudly.. 'dont get mixed up with Emilena, for your own safety. now go
' he added softly.
 Mariota nodded at the ox, and continued down the street...
 A word emilena after you have served him the warrant."'the ox whose name was Brownstreet said.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Stay out of my business, Brownstreet," she muttered, struggling to keep her voice level.

"Officer Echo, the sargeant outranks you!" exclaimed one of the other officers.

"Not in this investigation!" She snapped back. As the arrest of Mr. Almaya was designated her chance to get taken off probation, she liked to interpret the orders as she was given power above her position on matters regarding the arrest of Almaya. Nevertheless, realizing the Captain may not see things that way, she acquiescently turned to look at the ox. "...yes?"

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"I don't have to consent to anything unless you show me a warrant." Soren crossed his arms.