The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Epic Mickey

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
as do I, it was a touchstone in filmaking, which is why it won a special achievement oscar . whe i mentione it , i meant it as a compliment.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
The way thebigdeal tells it, Disney's never done anything dark before. Just rewatch any of Walt's older films. You Will find that had Epic Mickey had been a film made by Walt, it would not really stick out amongst the likes of Fantasia and Sleeping Beauty.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://youtube.com/BigDealStudios
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 24 2009 on  11:40 PM
The way thebigdeal tells it, Disney's never done anything dark before. Just rewatch any of Walt's older films. You Will find that had Epic Mickey had been a film made by Walt, it would not really stick out amongst the likes of Fantasia and Sleeping Beauty.
actually, htey've done LOTS of things dark before, i can give you examples...

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
^Like one banned political cartoon, "Education for Death". It tells about the Hitler propaganda and it really was making fun of Germans at that time. :p

I liked it myself, because I saw a different side to Disney, but I can see why it was banned. <.<

Here's a link in case you're interested:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3104128/hitl...disney_cartoon/

Now we are getting off topic a bit... :p

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, that was kind of my point. By the way, if you hate Disney and the concept of this game so much, why are you even here? Go away if all you're going to offer absolutely nothing to this discussion.
By the way, Kingdom Hearts was not a serious anime, and the games were not pointless, ya baby.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 25 2009 on  02:28 PM
By the way, Kingdom Hearts was not a serious anime, and the games were not pointless, ya baby.
Didn't know, haven't played much...

and i never hated Disney, sheesh...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
You said you don't like the man... Well, whatever. By the way, did you watch the interview with the guy whose making the game. He's a Disney fan. I posted that to quell any fears that this was going to be inappropriate material for a Disney game. Why has no one else pointed that video out yet?

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 25 2009 on  06:32 PM
You said you don't like the man... Well, whatever. By the way, did you watch the interview with the guy whose making the game. He's a Disney fan. I posted that to quell any fears that this was going to be inappropriate material for a Disney game. Why has no one else pointed that video out yet?
Yes i saw the interview

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
So, you know that the guy making the game probably loves the characters produced from the Disney company enough as to not make the game inappropriate for being a Disney game, then, right?
Anyway, updates have shown that the game isn't going to be as dark as the initial impressions made it out to be. Besides, this project is about reinvigorating the Disney characters (especially Mickey) not destroying them.
Besides, the scary stuff (like zombie mecha Goofy) are just copies of the characters made by Phantom Blot (something he would totally do, from what I've seen or remember of him old Disney comics), and not the characters, themselves.
Also, Oswald (I think was the name) the rabbit, Disney's original creation, who hasn't seen the light of day in too many decades will be featured in a Disney release  for the time in...I have no idea how long. That has to count for something. The way I hear it, the Disney company only recently paid VERY handsomely (as they did not originally own him to begin with) to get him back. If nothing else, this will reintroduce a truckload of old Disney characters who haven't been seen in a while and potentially open up some new avenues for the canon.

Besides, I haven't seen Mickey in anything of note for a long, long time, so seeing him as the star of a high profile game that promises to make him epic is like the best thing in the world for me.
And actually, if you think about it while looking at Mickey's character, this IS something that could happen in an actual canonical Disney story. Mickey always been the good guy, but he's also never been able to keep his hands out of stuff (hence the mess created in the world Yen Sid created for the forgotten Disney characters). This would SO happen in old school Disney! I'm psyched and can't imagine why you wouldn't be!

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
dang, thats the longest comment i've seen in months  :lol
well, i've seen some of the updates and you are right, it isn't THAT dark,
and you haven't seen Mickey in a while? try MICKEY MOUSE CLUBHOUSE.... well... i don't give a crap about that show either...
I still don't tlike the game's atmosphere and plot, but i DO like the return of an old Universal character and their new "retro" designs

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I said haven't seen him in anything MAJOR for a while. He's kind of been put to the sidelines by Disney in more recent years.
He's pretty much been reduced to a single TV series and a couple of appearances in the Kingdom Hearts games, whereas he used to appear in TV specials and series after series all the time.
Now, to see him as the focus and on the primary advertising points of something new and hyped is pleasing for me, to say the least.

Eh, I can understand not liking the plot and the feel, though I think in terms of that this is probably the best you can expect from it. I seriously think you shouldn't write Epic Mickey off just yet.

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 25 2009 on  07:05 PM
I said haven't seen him in anything MAJOR for a while. He's kind of been put to the sidelines by Disney in more recent years.
He's pretty much been reduced to a single TV series and a couple of appearances in the Kingdom Hearts games, whereas he used to appear in TV specials and series after series all the time.
Now, to see him as the focus and on the primary advertising points of something new and hyped is pleasing for me, to say the least.

Eh, I can understand not liking the plot and the feel, though I think in terms of that this is probably the best you can expect from it. I seriously think you shouldn't write Epic Mickey off just yet.
yeah, i'll tell you 1 thing, i wILL try it out when it's released  :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i agree that mickey has been sidelined in favor of the flavor the month series like Hannah Montana and and other Disney shows, all of which are live action I might add. Mickey is an interesting character.. and I think it wouyld be interesting if they put a little "bad boy" into him..have him cause some havoc for once.. and actually build on his relationship with MInnie, I mean they've been boyfriend-girlfriend for nearly 80 years now
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah, yes. This game. At first I wasn't sure if this game was real, but that was quickly put the rest.

Well, I look forward to it. It's different, that's for sure. And, yeah. I know the creator's a Disney fan. I saw that video. Good to know he's not taking the characters to the extreme.

I'm getting it. The Wii is all fired up for it.\

BTW, question WR: What did you mean by "the game isn't going to be as dark as the initial impressions made it out to be." I might have seen the new updates, but not sure what to consider dark or not. Do you mean the character designs?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I'm reading the gameinformer right now, and it has Epic Mickey in it. I must say reading that is making me change my mind. It's almost spiritual, the change that disney is trying to breakthrough. :)

I hope in the future the DS version will come out. :p I don't have a wii.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, the characters now look nowhere near as terrifying as the original concept arts which looked like someone had chainsawed the Disney classical character and then put them together in unimaginably horrible and mismatched ways.
Also, the plotline doesn't look quite like its going to be as dark as they were making out to be.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Doesn't look too bad to me! The concept art does look a bit whacked out but I think artistry like this is a lot more bold and daring. It definitely does seem to be a bit more on the dark end of the fluffy bunny spectrum Disney is known for but this isn't the first time Disney has pushed the boundries of what we've come to expect of their creations. Anyone seen the Mickey short cartoon "Runaway Brain"? For a Mickey Mouse cartoon, I thought that was a bit dark considering the norm for a Disney short starring their own mascot (in terms of animation style and representation). Wouldnt mind seeing some gameplay footage of this. Mickey Mania was probably the last Mickey Mouse game I played (Kingdom Hearts doesn't count before anyone asks :p) and that was way back in the mid 90s. Will be interesting to see what happens with this one. Anyone know which game company is leading the project? Is it Disney themselves? Or will they just be publishing it?

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Oct 26 2009 on  09:18 PM
I'm reading the gameinformer right now, and it has Epic Mickey in it. I must say reading that is making me change my mind. It's almost spiritual, the change that disney is trying to breakthrough. :)

I hope in the future the DS version will come out. :p I don't have a wii.
SPIRITAUL? what do you mean?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
What I think Littlefoot1616 means is that Disney is tryng to become more like it was before Michael Eisner, which alone would be changes of spiritual proportions.

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Nov 2 2009 on  03:14 PM
What I think Littlefoot1616 means is that Disney is tryng to become more like it was before Michael Eisner, which alone would be changes of spiritual proportions.
by the way, Runaway Brain was HILARIOUS