The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ridiculously Hard Games

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There are games out there that can just be labeled as HARD!  I mean, really hard.  They're like ridiculously hard to the point where we feel they went too far.  To the point where they are just unfair.  Those are the types of games we'll be talking about here.

One game I can think of right off the bat that is just unfair is Ikaruga.  I mean, you got bullets coming at you ALL the time.  There's hardly a time you can take a breather.  Also, trying to match up your shield with the right color bullets just to make your ship more powerful?  Forget it!

It's just HARD!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
man i love ikaruga, and i can beat it without using a continue...on easy. Yea, on normal and hard, it just gets too insane for me to comprehend (especially chapter 4...ugh, can't stop dying on that level).

Heres an old video of me playing the last level on ikaruga on easy
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-3381379524454154841
i thought i did quite well, with only one death near the end.

Hmmm, the only game i can think of at the moment would be Mario Bros. Lost Levels (btw, i have beaten all 13 worlds in the game without save states on Mario All-Stars). Lost Levels has the most hardest castles ever in a mario game and once you beat the game, they have 4 more worlds that have harder versions of older levels, with level C-4 being the hardest (heres a video of me playing it) mainly because of that one tricky part at about 45 seconds in the video.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
There were many hardcore games on old consoles like NES and Sega Genesis. Anyone remember Contra? :rolleyes:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Playing the strategy game Supreme Commander on a hard difficulty level is really tough. They have several different modes of hard difficulty. In one mode your enemy will very quickly send hordes of low level units against you. In another mode your enemy will develop his technology and attack you with very strong units. Then there is a mixed mode between the two. What I wished for was a mode which would allowed for an initial "peacetime" during which one can build up the own base without being attacked or being able to attack oneself (as some games offer).

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The game I'm thinking of is fairly new and is quite a popular one. Usually the really really hard games you hear about are always for the old systems. Well this one is for the Xbox 360, and I have never played a game as hard as this one. Ninja Gaiden 2.

I understand that players want a challenge when they play a game, and don't want to be able to walk through it like it was nothing, but when the easiest mode on the game is not easy by any stretch of the imagination, then you know they just screwed up.

My friend has played this game on the easiest mode and just simply could not beat it. He quit after trying so many times. What sucks is when he saw this game he was really excited about it. It looked so awesome, that I just had to buy it for us.

This is the kind of game where if you're not careful, the most insignificant enemies could kill you. For example: If you weaken your enemy enough he usually ends up crawling on the floor, or limping in some way. This is when you perform a finishing move to permanently kill him. The problem is, if you're not fast enough when you approach him, he could take out half of your life bar. They blow themselves up with you if you're next to them for more than 3/4 of a second. It's a beginner's trap and it's just dumb, cheap, and makes players really angry when you're trying to conserve all the healing items you can.

As if that's not bad enough, it's nothing compared to the bosses in this game. I have to point out that in all the games that I've played, I have never dealt with such a frustrating experience as fighting the bosses in Ninja Gaiden 2. The thing is, the amount of concentration and practice you need to get by some of them isn't even worth it. You could have a boss down to 3% of its life bar, and you could have full health, and still die. If you're not careful, or if you make one simple mistake, one little press of the wrong button, you could end up caught in some vicious combo that will drain your health to practically zero.

Now believe it or not, I beat this game on the easiest mode and on the next mode. Yea it is possible, but that doesn't mean everybody wants to go through all the trouble of doing it. There are some parts of the game where I literally just kept dieing to the same enemies over and over again because I was studying their movement patterns, constantly practicing dodging their attacks. It helped, but it by no means made it easy for me. I still died to them a lot because, well, nobody's perfect, and it's kind of hard to see an attack coming when you only have 1/2 a second to react.

So I bet you're wondering what the last boss was like :p Well I'll just say that I spent hours dieing to him before I killed him. Yea hours, no joke. I was up until about 2 AM. You can't save it directly before a boss battle, and there was no way I was going to go through the entire level again the next day.

Well all that aside, I've never played the first one so I wouldn't know how hard it is. But Ninja Gaiden 2 just went too far, and it is practically impossible to enjoy the game, unless you really, and I mean really know what you're doing.

Loofah

• Chomper
    • View Profile
- Blast Corps
- the first 2 Turok Games
- and a lot Games in hard Mode.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh man!  This boss is just UNFAIR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70iFdnI-xfA

Please note:  Both you and the boss have a weakness that is only one pixel big.  Keep an eye on the ship and see the one pixel that is hardly ever hit.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The next gen version of Spiderman 3.  This game had no difficulty settings and it was extremely hard.  Plus your attcks seemed really weak.

Anybody ever play BioShock on hard?  The Elite Rosies become a real pain in the neck near the end because a two foot nail in the head goes a long way towards killing you.  

Halo on legendary was a real pain in the butt.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jul 20 2009 on  03:32 PM
Oh man!  This boss is just UNFAIR!

Please note:  Both you and the boss have a weakness that is only one pixel big.  Keep an eye on the ship and see the one pixel that is hardly ever hit.
yep, i've seen videos of that boss many times, and i'm still impressed by how people can even do that.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Flathead770,Jul 20 2009 on  11:38 PM
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jul 20 2009 on  03:32 PM
Oh man!  This boss is just UNFAIR!

Please note:  Both you and the boss have a weakness that is only one pixel big.  Keep an eye on the ship and see the one pixel that is hardly ever hit.
yep, i've seen videos of that boss many times, and i'm still impressed by how people can even do that.
I know!  Look at all those bullets flying!  Sheesh!  I'd spend $20 worth of quarters on that boss easily, and that thing would probably not have even half it's health gone by then. :(

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Any Ninja Gaiden - these games are reknown for being superly rock solid. Today's incarnations are no different from the previous ones.

Metal Gear Solid on Extreme Mode - The only MGS game I've done on Extreme Mode is MGS2. It's pretty much two hits from anything and you're done for so you really have to be stealthy and NOT get seen by the enemy

Resident Evil 5 Professional Mode - I'm working through this as we speak but try doing this mode without Unlimited Ammo is just stupid! Everything is pretty much one hit kills, you have literally 1.5 secs to heal your partner if they hit the "DYING" phase (9/10 you're never close enough to reach them), enemies now do not hang around to attack you (as soon as they are in striking range they go for you!) and all preset ammo and healing items have been removed. On the plus side, all money bonuses you DO find are double. Yeah...coz money's gonna help you get through this onslaught! Thanks a lot Capcom!  <_<  :lol

Street Fighter 4 - Just... Street Fighter 4 entirely! This game is not for general play. You have to be a hardcore master at every previous SF title to even consider picking this game up (and there are a lot of them). Even on Normal difficulty you get absolutely obliterated! CPU opponents must read your button presses even before the console has registered them. They're impossible to land a hit on! If you didn't have high blood pressure before, nab a copy of this and feel your blood boil as you fail time and time again :lol Thanks AGAIN Capcom...for shortening our life expectancies even further  :p

gisti87

• Ruby
    • View Profile
A Dino hunter game, Carnivores is not that hard, except when you have to shoot T-rexes. The only way you can kill them to shoot to their little eyes, nearly impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4pUhCZHNR4   :p

Well, sharptooth won.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jul 20 2009 on  05:32 PM
Oh man!  This boss is just UNFAIR!

Please note:  Both you and the boss have a weakness that is only one pixel big.  Keep an eye on the ship and see the one pixel that is hardly ever hit.
That boss is amazing :lol: I can't imagine how long it took to add in every single one of those bullets.

That really is unfair though as it seems there are certain parts where there simply is no way to get around the bullets except to run into them and die. Regardless, I would probably try that boss just for fun and just so my friends can say "what the heck are you playing?!" :p