The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Swimmer Trials

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, that was eventful.  She has a hope of surviving that Trial and ending the danger for good if she can kill that eel.  

I'm glad that Sura isn't dead.  You had me worried for a moment.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 25: A Kind Stranger

Ducky felt her hope return in wave that brought warmth to all her body. Her mother was still alive. She kept on repeating that thought in her head as if it was the only thing that prevented her mother from dying. "Perhaps she could be saved" thought Ducky hopefully.

She walked beside the old Swimmer who was carrying her mother on his back, he was straining with the effort of holding her up but they still made fair progress.

"Where are we going?" asked Ducky curiously.

The old Swimmer stopped, panting with exhaustion and he turned to her "We are going to a my nesting site" he said.

Ducky nodded and continued to follow the Swimmer. Soon after a short walk they sighted the Big Water. While Ducky had seen the ocean before she was always amazed by the sheer vastness of it whenever she came to it's shores. The Swimmers walked along the shore. Ducky waded in the shallow water and let the waves bring cool water over her body. It felt very refreshing to her but if only her mother could join in with her. Ducky sniffed and looked down at the thought.

The old Swimmer noticed this "Hey now, we'll have none of that" he said in a resolved voice "Your mother will be fine and that I promise you little one".

Ducky nodded and continued the trek along the shore until the Swimmer's came to a large cliff and the shore became covered with smooth rock. Ducky followed the older Swimmer as he climbed up a small path that turned into an opening in the rocky wall. She then entered a large cave that was bathed in moonlight from the entrance and a small hole in the ceiling. Ducky observed a small nest in the centre of the cave and inside was a baby Swimmer, a girl with the same colouration as herself was sleeping in a bed of leaves that lay scattered on the bottom of the nest but upon arrival of her, Sura and the old Swimmer, she woke up.

The baby squealed in excitement at the new comers, she wagged her tail, but did not get up. She evidently could not walk yet which implied that she was only a few days old. The old Swimmer placed Sura down at the cave wall and inspected her injuries. Ducky spotted a small spring with a ground star plant growing next to it. She wondered over to it and took deep sips of the cool refreshing water.

The kind old Swimmer came up to her. "I think that I can stop the bleeding but the rest will be up to your mother dear" he said. "Now eat up it's late and your are tired and hungry. I must go and fetch some herbs for your mother so I will be gone for a while and if you want to know the hatchling's name is Jane".

Ducky nodded and started munching on some of the ground stars while the old Swimmer left the cave. She ate a lot of food due to the exertion that the days events had on her. Jane watched her curiously from the nest. She gave a small squeal when Ducky went to grab more food. Ducky turned to Jane. She saw that the baby was looking eagerly at the ground stars.

She held up a ground star "Do you want one?" she asked. But the baby did not really understand what she said but she held out her arms to the ground star. Ducky walked to the nest with a few ground stars and shared her dinner with Jane. The two ate in silence. Jane was looking at Ducky curiously, she touched her hand. Ducky knew that Jane was just a Hatchling and was hence very curious about her new world. Jane turned her head to Sura.

She pointed to Sura then to Ducky and said "mama?" curiously.

Ducky, thanks to the experience she had in understanding Spike and baby language that she had once shared with her siblings, knew that Jane was asking if the Swimmer was indeed the mother of this new young Swimmer that had stumbled into the cave. Ducky nodded. She looked at her mother and sighed, looking sad.

"My mom is hurt" she said sadly.

Jane looked sympathetic, she may not of understood what Ducky had said but she understood that Ducky was feeling sad from her expression and body language. So she embraced her in a loving hug as if it was the cure to all ills. Ducky gladly returned the hug.

Ducky pointed to herself and said her name to Jane.

"D....D....Du...Du.......Duck.......Ducky?" asked Jane slowly as she tried to pronounce Ducky's name properly.

Ducky nodded and smiled. Jane grinned, she had met her first friend.

Just at that moment the old Swimmer entered the cave carrying lots of different plants in his arms which he laid down beside Sura. He smiled when he glanced at Ducky with Jane.

"Looks like you've made a friend dear" he chuckled.

"Will that stuff help" asked Ducky, pointing at the pile of plants.

"It will dear, it will help heal her wounds and prevent infection the rest will be up to your mother" he said and he began crushing several herbs onto some plants which he then used to clean Sura's wounds. Then he mashed up lots of different herbs together and poured the mash onto a few large leafs which he used to bind the wounded areas tightly. Lastly he smudged the remaining herb onto his hands then cupped them. He then proceeded to fill his cupped hands with water from the spring and then pour the mixture into Sura's mouth.

"There" he said when he finished. "Now all we can do is wait and hope".

Ducky sighed and raised herself and was about to exit the nest when Jane gave a sad cry as she started to leave. Ducky looked back and saw the tears in Jane's eyes. Ducky laid down beside Jane and put a comforting hand on her back. The baby Swimmer smiled and curled herself up beside Ducky's belly and fell asleep, as if Ducky was her mother. Ducky smiled lovingly at the cute little Swimmer, now asleep beside her. She was amazed at how much trust Jane put in her when they had only just met. She curled her tail around the baby Swimmer, who was no bigger then her thigh.  

"She really likes you" commented the old Swimmer "Jane is luckier then most".

"Are you her father?" asked Ducky.

"No I am not, I'm her Uncle. Her family was killed by Sharpteeth a day after she had hatched and for the next three days she was alone until I found her and took her here, where she has been for two days now". said the old Swimmer.

Ducky looked at the baby Swimmer in shock. She had lost her family to Sharpteeth and somehow managed to survive three days in the wilderness. Just like her when she was separated from her family in the Great Earthshake. Ducky sighed sadly. "That is sad it is it is" she said mournfully.

The old Swimmer nodded then addressed her again. "But what are you doing out here alone?" he asked Ducky.

"We came from The Great Valley" said Ducky.

"The Great Valley huh? I haven't been there for a very long time. But that makes me wonder even more about what you guys are doing way out here in The Mysterious Beyond and without a herd" said the old Swimmer thoughtfully.

"Mama and I left the Valley to find a Swimmer who has survived The Trial of Destiny. I do not remember the name though" replied Ducky, shaking her head as she unsuccessfully tried to recall the name of the Swimmer that they were searching for.

The old Swimmer's face took up a grim frown. "So Sculra is still making the poor younglings take that Trial" said the old Swimmer in a low voice.

"I do not like the elder Swimmer nope nope nope" said Ducky shaking her head vigorously "She hurt me she did she did".

"She hurt you!?" asked the old Swimmer in astonishment "Why would she do that, what have you ever done to her?".

"I ran away from home and when I came back she hurt me for running away and I have never done anything to her but my mama said that she does this because she does not like my mom" said Ducky slowly.

"I understand now" said the old Swimmer "but why did you run away?" he asked.

Ducky trembled and looked down, tears formed around her eyes. "I was so scareded I was I was".

"Scared of what?" asked the old Swimmer in a soft voice, he could see that he was touching a sensitive subject here.

"I was scareded of The Swimmer Trials" said Ducky tearfully.

"But why? Why would you be scared of the Trials you have no need to fear unless.........oh" the old Swimmer looked at Ducky with understanding and regret. "I am so sorry" he said. He bent down and gave her a comforting nuzzle. "So that is why you are out here" he said quietly.

Ducky nodded. "We need to find a Swimmer who has survived the Trial to train me" she said. "And can I ask what is your name?"

"My name is Cyrest" said the Swimmer.

Ducky gasped, then grinned happily. "Your the Swimmer we have been looking for and we founded you we have we have" said Ducky in joy.

"So you were looking for me then, who told you about me and how did you know I was here?" asked Cyrest in shock.

"A Longneck told us where you lived and Swayer told me about you" said Ducky.

"Swayer!" said Cyrest sharply.

Ducky was startled by the sudden explanation, but she nodded her head in confirmation.

"How do you know Swayer?" asked Cyrest in a shocked voice.

Ducky looked a little taken a back at Cyrest's reaction. "Did you know him?" she asked. Ducky was astonished when she saw a tear fall down Cyrest's cheek.

"Swayer was my only son" he said in a pained voice.

Ducky felt like a large weight had fallen in her stomach, her mouth fell open in numb shock and tears filled her eyes. 'He was your son?" she said slowly.

Cyrest nodded. "His egg was the only egg that survived but when he hatched his mother was-"

"Already dead" finished Ducky before Cyrest could say it.

"How did you know that?" demanded Cyrest.

"Swayer told me" said Ducky in a small voice, she did not know if Cyrest would believe her. She looked up into the face of the elder Swimmer and saw a look of puzzlement on it.

"How could Swayer have told you? You never met him" said Cyrest, eyeing Ducky closely.

"I saw him in my last few sleep stories, he says that he wants to help me survive the trial he does he does".

"Hmmmmm" said Cyrest thoughtfully, he was not sure whether he believed Ducky but she did know facts about Swayer that only a few people knew.

"I thought that he would be able to complete the Trial because I survived it, that's why I was not badly affected when Sculra chose him but on the day of the Trial, the river turned red and I never saw my son again" said Cyrest in a trembling voice, his expression showing all the pain that he still felt over the loss of his son. He looked down at Ducky and saw the fearful look on her face and decided to change the subject as the conversationalists were moving into an awkward silence. "So how is life in The Great Valley" he asked.

"It was great until I found out about the Trial" said Ducky. "I would play with my friends and go on adventures with them and my little brother" Ducky smiled at the fond memories that she had of The Gang.

"Sounds like a nice place to live and it sounds like you have many friends" commented Cyrest.  

"Oh it is a great place to live yep yep yep and I love being with my friends I do I do" said Ducky.

"The Valley must have many good Swimmers for you to play with" said Cyrest thoughtfully.

"Oh there are many Swimmers but I don't play with them nope nope nope" said Ducky as matter of fact.

Cyrest looked curiously at Ducky "But then who do you place with if not Swimmers and how many fiends have you got?" he asked.

Ducky told Cyrest about her friends and all the different kinds. He was appeared surprised when she said that Spike was her brother and even more surprised when she mentioned that she did not play with any Swimmers but the surprise turned to astonishment and worry when she talked about Chomper.

"Your friends....with a.......Sharptooth" he said in shock.

"Oh yes yes yes" said Ducky "Chomper is a friendly Sharptooth he is he is" Ducky said the last bit with firm resolve.

"I would advise you not to play around with Sharpteeth but you appear to get along very well with your friends" said Cyrest calmly, his expression blank.

Ducky headed for another subject as she did not like where this one was going. "My mom tried to teach me the Swimmer Wisdoms but she could not so we are hoping that you would help me we are we are".

Cyrest looked at Sura. "She must really love her daughter to try this" he thought. "Well those Wisdoms are not learned in a day" he chuckled "And I certainly will help you, I can't let a kind young child like you take such a Trial" said Cyrest.

Ducky's face split into a grin. "Oh thank you thank you thank you!" she cried gratefully. She was so loud that Jane stirred in her sleep. Ducky hushed herself and Jane snuggled back up to her and drifted back into a comfortable slumber.

Cyrest smiled as he watched this, he was glad that his niece had a friend now. "I think that is time that we got some sleep Ducky" he said quietly.

Ducky nodded and gave a long tired yawn, her eyelids suddenly becoming heavier. "Okay" she said in a tired voice. Ducky proceeded to lay her head down but Cyrest still had one more thing to say.

"I would recommend that you sleep with me Ducky and not with Jane" he said calmly.

Ducky looked a little hurt. "Why? I have not done anything wrong have I?" she asked.

Cyrest laughed richly "of course you haven't done anything wrong. It's just that Jane is a newborn hatchling and you know what that means when it comes to the babies relieving themselves, I just wanted to spare you the trouble" said Cyrest.

Ducky understood what Cyrest meant but she looked back at Jane sleeping soundly against her belly. She appeared so innocent and happy. "just like me" thought Ducky. "I will stay with her tonight, I don't care if she wet's the nest, she needs me she does she does" said Ducky.

Cyrest nodded "Okay Ducky, if that's what you want. Goodnight and have a good night's sleep" said Cyrest before turning in.

Ducky yawned. She turned to her mother and let out a trembling breath. "Please be okay" she whispered to her mother before she curled herself around Jane just like her mother did with her, she then placed her head on the ground and was soon fast asleep. In her heart Ducky hoped beyond all hope that her mother would survive her injuries.

Well it appears that Cyrest has finally been found. Ducky also have met a new friend and Sura's hopes for living another day have increased. Hope you liked the chapter. Stay tuned for more.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I think the best way to end the Trials is to get rid of Sculra.  She MUST be stopped!  

(I don't know how she hopes to continue the Trials after her own death, as she's not immortal anyway and it looks like there aren't many others that would continue it for her.  If there are, she won't be the only one who has to be stopped.)

Personally, I'd like to see Sculra end up a victim of her own foul play.  :)

On the other hand, I could think of a better punishment for her.  She'd make some kind of agreement with Sura that

If Ducky Wins

1.)  Sura replaces Sculra as the High Elder.
2.)  Sculra is banished for life from the Great Valley (unless, perhaps, she truly reforms)
3.)  The Trials are ended forever
4.) Sculra's minions are banished with her (that might include Mrs. Maia.)

If Ducky Loses

1.)  Sura and her family are banished from the Great Valley for life.
2.)  Chomper is banished from the Great Valley for life for trying to assassinate Sculra.
3.)  The Trials will now occur once a year and will go on forever.
4.)  Archie, Sawyer's father, and perhaps Littlefoot and his group are banished too for trying to stop Sculra.

Ducky ends up winning and Scurla is kicked out.  She'll have to spend the rest of her life, knowing she's lost her power, that Sura, whom she despises, will be holding her spot, doing everything she doesn't want her to do, that Ducky will live and end up as the High Elder perhaps someday.   And she'll know that the Trial is gone forever and have to live with all the bad things she did and be shunned by those she's wronged like Sawyer's family.  And, perhaps, she has a chance that, perhaps, she can live to become a better dinosaur and get some kind of redemption.  

(I don't think Ducky would want Sculra to die.  I just don't.   Also, it would be awful for Sura to end up a killer just for Sculra.  Same for Chomper and Rolphus.)

I think this one could be a movie, though I'd leave out the part where Ducky wets herself.  
Ruby killing someone is a bit dark (though she'll end up killing someone in a fanfic of mine too and even poor, Chomper, albeit by accident, ends up killing someone and I think it's still ok to make into a movie.)

This is going to be a nomination for the 2015 Fanfiction Award.   :yes  :)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Man, did things ever just get intense!  That chapter with Sura had me scared for a few minutes.  That's a nasty injury she was dealt, and humans usually need stitches for those.  Cyrest being a healer/holistic medicine practitioner has really caught my interest.  I am totally into holistic medicine, and after grad school may even pursue the certificate program for holistic medicine...that way, I can actually advise and/or work on others' health legally :lol  :yes.

I'm glad to see Sura's still okay at this time, and now Cyrest is in the picture.

BTW, I love the paranormal elements with Swayer.  Dreams are usually full of advice, but to actually have a deceased person visit your dream world and advise you is a pretty awesome experience :angel.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's possible in LBT, as Mama Longneck is talking to Littlefoot even after her obvious death.  

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 26: A Different Kind Of Dreaming

The Great Valley was completely painted black by the darkness of the moonless night, not that it really mattered to the Valley residents at this hour since they were all fast asleep with no one spoiling the peace in the darkness of the night, well almost no one.

Littlefoot was asleep but his rest was far from peaceful, he turned and rolled, thrashed and moaned in his sleep and occasionally muttered a word or phrase his dreams were not allowing him a reprise. Littlefoot turned over, onto his back, his neck thrashed wildly from side to side. "No....no...." he graoned in his sleep. His whining woke up his Grandparents who were usually aware when Littlefoot had bad sleep stories. Ali was also awake because Littlefoot had accidentally rolled into her as he slept. The three dinosaurs watched the young longneck thrash around with his legs. This was an alarming sight for them.

"Wake up Littlefoot" said Grandma as she nuzzled her grandson, but failing to wake him. Littlefoot appeared to be lost in his own world at the moment.

Littlefoot saw vivid images in his dreams that horrified him beyond comparison, he gave a loud groan. "Ducky" he mumbled.

"Littlefoot" said his Grandpa loudly giving Littlefoot a firm push but it appeared to have no effect.

"Let me try" said Ali in alarm. She spoke in her softest, kindest voice that she could muster even though she was scared stiff for Littlefoot who could easily hurt himself in his uneasy state. "Littlefoot, come on. Wake up, it's Ali, I'm here, wake up Littlefoot". Ali's attempts were in vain as Littlefoot thrashed violently onto his stomach and lay there twitching uncontrollably.

Littlefoot had seen horrific sights before but now he saw the unthinkable. He reflected over all his previous adventures and asked the question "what if". His first image was of The Great Sharptooth leaping into the air and landing on the rock that he and his friends were desperately trying to push. What had happened at this moment was that Ducky had fallen to the ground and Sharptooth snapped at her but missing by an inch. But instead he saw Ducky get skewed on one of Sharptooth's teeth.

The scene changed.

Littlefoot watched helplessly as Ducky fell screaming to her death at Threehorn Peak. Pterano had saved Ducky at this moment but not this time. Littlefoot watched as she disappeared into the mist and her screaming suddenly ended.

The scene changed again.

He saw Ducky falling through the air unconscious toward the open mouth of Dil, but this time she did not wake up, she fell into Dil's open mouth and was almost immediately swallowed whole by the Belly Dragger.

The scene changed.

"LITTLEFOOT WAKE UP!!!!"screamed Ali at the top of her lungs as Littlefoot let out a scream of terror that she had never heard or wanted to hear again from him. Littlefoot had a tree star full of cold water dumped on top of him but even then he remained as incapacitated as he had before. He was shaking around violently and suddenly rolled over, down the hill next to the nest. He bumped into a few rocks and trees on the way down but when he came to rest at the bottom of the slope he was still asleep. Ali gasped as did Grandma and Grandpa, they all gave startled exclamations and ran down to where Littlefoot lay trembling on the ground.

Littlefoot watched as Ducky tripped over a stone in her desperate attempt to flee from the blue female Sharptooth that was the mother of the eggs that they had moved all the way from a cave in The Great Valley. The events that happened were the same as he remembered from the experience, the mother turned to the sound of her babies hatching from the eggs. But there was a twist, he watched as the fast biter picked up Ducky in her arms and fed her to the newborn babies. Littlefoot was forced to watch the slow and painful death helplessly. He heard Ducky's screams of pain as the fast biters tore out enormous chunks of her flesh from her body, drenching the ground with blood. He screamed loudly as each time a scene vanished it was replaced with another scene from his previous adventures that involved watching Ducky die in some way. However, the last one scene was different. He saw a large rock shaped like a crescent moon, a flash of white teeth and a red river.

The scene disappeared and this time he found himself alone. He looked ahead and saw himself and his mother during her last moments. Littlefoot relived the painful experience, he could not bear it anymore, he tried to escape this torturous prison by running blindly away, with no clue where he was going. But the scene dissolved again and everything turned white.

He stood at his nest in the Great Valley but except for him it was completely deserted. Well almost......

"Littlefoot" said a familiar voice from behind him. "My Littlefoot, I am so sorry but you can't prevent this".

Littlefoot took a trembling breath and slowly turned around and was confronted by a tall female longneck. She smiled at him.

"M...m.....mother" said Littlefoot slowly, hardly daring to believe what he was seeing.

"My sweet Littlefoot, I am sorry for everything" she said sadly. "I never wanted to go and now you are faced with losing a dear friend".

Littlefoot looked at his mother and suddenly ran to her and nuzzled her knee, crying loudly. He felt his mother's muzzle on his back, something he thought that he would never feel again. "I miss you" said Littlefoot through his tears.

"I know dear, but I could not have been more proud of you and of all you have accomplished my dear" replied his mother.

"How did you know about Ducky?" asked Littlefoot.

"I keep watch over you always" she said.

"I don't want to lose her, she's my friend but I can't do anything to save her" sobbed Littlefoot.

"My Littlefoot, The Trial of Destiny is something that your little friend must undertake alone, but that does not mean that you can't be there for her and help her, just as she has helped you" said his mother, quietly.

"How?" asked Littlefoot "I don't know what to do"

"Littlefoot, listen to your heart and let your heart guide you" said his mother. She turned to leave.

"Mother? don't go mother, don't go!" cried Littlefoot in dismay "I don't want you to go!" he called, his tears drenching his face at this parting. His mother turned around and nuzzled him in a loving way and spoke in a voice that conveyed her love for him.

"I will never go, my dear sweet Littlefoot" she said "I am and always will be in here" she touched her muzzle over her son's chest. "In your heart". She finished and everything turned white.

Littlefoot awoke breathing heavily, his entire body was drenched with cold water, he lay on the ground panting in shock. He was vaguely aware of voices and dark images around him but he had no understanding of what the images were or what words were being said. But finally he felt contact on his right cheek as he was nuzzled by someone. Littlefoot's vision slowly returned and soon he could make out the form of Ali, she was nuzzling him. He groaned and raised his head to see himself lying on his left side half way down a hill he was also aware of the growing pain that he was felling all over his body due to all the unknown objects that he had crashed into while he slept.

He looked at Ali and saw intense relief on her face.

"Littlefoot!" cried his grandmother, coming forward to him. "Are you all right?" she asked with genuine concern.

"I saw Ducky die, in so many ways" he said in a small, fearful voice. His Grandparents exchanged worried glances with each other and Ali had a sympathetic look upon her face. "I saw my mother" he whispered so quietly that the three longnecks did not hear him.

"Well your awake now dear" said Grandma in a soothing voice. "It was just a scary sleep story, you'll be okay".

"And Ducky?" asked Littlefoot.

Grandma hesitated but eventually she nodded "and Ducky" she said.

"Here, drink up" said his Grandpa, pushing some water filled tree stars beneath Littlefoot's nose. Littlefoot drank gratefully, taking in large gulp's of the cool, soothing water. After a while he raised his head and looked at the concerned expressions directed at him.

"I feel much better now" he said. He tried to get up but fell back down on a sprained ankle. Ali helped him all the way back to the nest. Littlefoot was astonished at just how far away from the nest he was. "Did I really do this?" he asked himself as he arrived back at his sleeping spot. His Grandparent's both nuzzled him gently which was repeated by Ali.

"I was so worried about you" she said in a voice that conveyed to Littlefoot the fear that she had felt all through his dream.

Littlefoot could only nod, he knew that he must have put on a very dramatic show as he slept. He laid down beside Ali but he did not fall asleep, instead he reflected on the dreams he had just experienced. He was obviously fearful that Ducky would die. He was also made aware of all the ways it could have ended for Ducky on their various adventures. But the last scene puzzled him greatly. He did not recognise the Crescent Caves. The flashing teeth was very innerving but the thing that filled him with the most alarm was the blood red river.

"Could it be that Ducky is up against a Swimming Sharptooth?" he questioned himself, the idea seemed absurd but it would explain why no one had survived the Trial. Littlefoot felt a cold chill run up his spine, the thought scared him. So Littlefoot reflected on the second half of his dream. It had delighted him to see his mother again, to hear her loving voice and to feel her muzzle which always provided comfort to him. She was proud of him, she watched him and she had given him some special advice. He understood that while this Trial was Ducky's and Ducky's alone, he could still help his friend. He would search for a way to help Ducky and he knew that his heart would lead him on the correct course.

Littlefoot felt the slow and steady beat of his heart. "I am and always shall be here.....in your heart". His mother's words kept echoing in his head and they seemed to make him feel a lot better, He looked up into the sky and spotted his star. The bright star that he always looked up to at night when he felt alone.

"Thank you mother" he whispered. Littlefoot settled down for sleep. But for the rest of the night the Valley appeared less dark as if some unworldly light illuminated it, the light that came from Littlefoot's star. A sign that his mother was still with him.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
He's got to do something.  Maybe Mo can help.  I think that Littlefoot & Co. should try and kill the Swimming Sharptooth before Ducky gets there.  Then Ducky has a much better chance of surviving the Trial.  Ducky cannot beat the rapids and the Swimming Sharptooth all by herself.  At least, I don't believe she can.  

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 27: Constant Vigilance

Ducky woke in the morning with a gasp. Her whole body was trembling and in her hands were a lot of crushed leaves that had once covered the bottom of the nest but she had grabbed and crushed them in her hands as she slept. Ducky took several deep breaths and looked solemnly at her mother. She was very worried for her and that made Ducky very restless during her night's rest. Ducky yawned and felt a body beside her, Ducky looked down at Jane, the sleeping baby who was resting against her body. Ducky smiled "She looks so peaceful yep yep yep" thought Ducky as she raised herself carefully in order not to wake Jane, she then wondered over to the spring took a few sips of the water before returning to her mother's side.

Ducky looked at her mother's closed eye sadly. "Mama?" she said in an uncertain voice. "Mama, please wake up" she said quietly. But like before Sura remained motionless.

"Please wake up" said Ducky, pushing her mother's head before cuddling up to her beak and closing her eyes sadly.  

"You okay dear?"

Ducky opened her eyes slowly, she recognised the voice of Cyrest, the old Swimmer who had survived the Trial of Destiny. Ducky didn't reply to Cyrest, she simply laid limply on her mother's beak.

Cyrest walked over to Ducky and settled down, he envied her and all the hardship that had been thrust upon her at her young age. "Sleep well?" he asked.

Ducky responded by giving a slow nod of her head, even though she had been through a very restless night.

"Why won't she wake up?" asked Ducky.

"Ducky" said Cyrest in a calm voice. "Your mother was as good as dead when I brought you here, so don't be surprised if it takes her a few more days to recover".

Ducky nodded. "How is she now?" she asked.

Cyrest inspected Sura. Her wounds on her leg and back where healing nicely but the wounds on her belly and neck did not look as good. Sura also appeared to be very pale, she was almost grey. This worried Cyrest greatly even though he knew that Sura had lost a lot of blood, she should not look this pale unless...
"She is still losing blood" thought Cyrest in alarm. He got up suddenly, startling Ducky who looked up with concern.

"What is wrong" asked Ducky, her concern resonating in her voice and expression.

"Are you sure that these..." Cyrest gestured to the bandaged areas on Sura's body "are your mother's only wounds?"

Ducky nodded "Yep yep yep" she said.

"Oh dear" said Cyrest. He started looking all over Sura's body. On her legs and back, on the top of her head. He lifted up Sura's head and inspected what was underneath but did not find anything. Satisfied he then opened Sura's mouth and peeked inside. Sura's breath was shallow and slow but suddenly became very fast. She appeared even more pale then before. Cyrest now looked fearful he went down to Sura's rear and despite the rudeness of his action's lifted her tail and inspected it's underside.

Ducky watched with concern when Cyrest started looking all over her mother. But when her mother's breathing became irregular and fast she became very scared, She held on to her mother's hand tightly, then noticed Cyrest peaking under her mother's tail. Ducky's initial gasp turned into a furious glare. "Of all the nerve" she thought.

"What are you doing!?" yelled Ducky loudly, so loudly that she woke up Jane who after jumping up in alarm, turned to watch the scene nervously. Ducky ran up to Cyrest and kicked his foot firmly.

"Owwww!" hissed Cyrest.

"Get your head out of there!" yelled Ducky, furiously.

"It's not what it look's like" said Cyrest. In a fast, fearful voice. "There is a wound on your mother that has not been attended, I must find it. Pardon me for this rudeness but I have to find the wound or she might die".

Ducky looked alarmed at his statement. She froze in place. Cyrest laid her mother's tail back on the ground and pushed her on her side. Ducky gasped in horror at what she saw on her mother's belly.

A large, black, bloodsucking Leech was over the bandaged wound on Sura's belly and taking up the remainder of Sura's blood.

"Get it off!!" screamed Ducky. She ran to the Leech and was about to tug it off but Cyrest grabbed her tail and pulled her away.

Ducky struggled and squirmed as she tried to get free from the Swimmer's grasp. "Let me GO!!!" she demanded.

"Not so fast youngling, we need a tree star of water from the Big Water now, it's the only way to get the blood sucker off without causing more problems and pain for your mother". He released Ducky and she immediately ran to the ground star plant and grabbed a tree star then sprinted out of the cave and down to the shores of the Big Water. Ducky filled the tree star with water and hurried back to the cave.

When she got back Sura was convulsing, Cyrest was holding her down and keeping her from any harm. "Pour the water on the Blood Sucker, Quick!" cried Cyrest when she entered the cave.

Ducky ran to her mother and flung the water over the Leech. But the Leech did not let go. Cyrest bend down and squeezed the Blood Sucker until it was drained of blood. Sura's belly was coated with blood but thankfully some of it had returned into her body through the wound that the Leech was on. Cyrest tugged the blood sucker off of Sura and threw it out of the cave entrance. Sura's convulsions slowed and eventually died down. Then all was calm again.

Everyone in the cave was breathing hard and fearfully. Ducky looked scared, she looked at the wound on her mother's belly as did Cyrest. The old Swimmer looked grimly at the wound then at Sura , who appeared even more pale. He sighed sadly, a tear fell down his eye. He got up and headed for the entrance. "Look after your mother for a few moments please Ducky, I will be back in a few moments" he panted as he left. He would not like doing this but he knew that Sura would not survive and letting her live like this would mean a slow and painful death.

Ducky cuddled up to her mother's belly and cried quietly. She was now very scared, she wondered how much fight her mother had left before she gives in.

"Ducky?" said a scared voice behind her.

Ducky turned to face Jane, she looked awfully frightened. She held out her arms for her. Ducky went to her side and hugged her tightly. "It will be alright it will it will" she said, but she sounded uncertain. Just at that moment Cyrest entered the cave, he was panting with exhaustion and was carrying a large rock in his hands, which he laid down beside Sura.

Ducky had a very uneasy feeling in her stomach "what is that for?" she asked, pointing at the rock.

Cyrest turned to her, his face seemed to convey unimaginable sadness, he had tears falling down his cheeks.

"Ducky, why don't you take Jane out for a swim in the stream?" he said.

If Cyrest was hoping that this pathetic excuse would hide his intents, he was wrong.

"NO!!" cried Ducky as she realised what the rock was for. She ran in front of Sura and stood defiantly between her mother and Cyrest.

"Ducky" said Cyrest quietly "please try to understand, she has no hope of survival, she's lost to much blood" Ducky shook her head vigorously, tears streaming down her face. "We can save her a long time of suffering if we end it now" finished Cyrest.

"I will not led you do this!" yelled Ducky, standing on top of her mother's beak. "NO...NO...NO!" Ducky yelled out each 'no' firmly in rebellion against this act.  

"Ducky, there is no hope for her, we-"

"THERE IS HOPE, THERE IS HOPE!!!!" screamed Ducky at the top if her lungs.

"My mama told me not to give up hope she did she did. I did once before and it felt terrible but I will not give up hope this time, my mommy will LIVE!, yep yep yep!" said Ducky. "And if you want to kill her then you will have to kill me first!" said Ducky fiercely.

The cave was silent. Cyrest stared at Ducky in astonishment, their eyes locked in a battle of wills. Cyrest quickly questioned himself. "Do you really want to do this? she is just trying to protect her mother. Don't repeat your same mistake" thought Cyrest. "What will Ducky do if she losses her mother? You can at least try to help her survive, for Ducky." he said to himself. Cyrest sighed and looked down. "Okay Ducky you win, we will save her together" he said.

Ducky nodded and stood down. "So how will we save her?" she asked.

"I don't know" said Cyrest.

"Think, you need to find away to save my mom" said Ducky desperately.

"I'm trying, but I can't.....actually" Cyrest smiled as he had a sudden epiphany "I've got an idea" he said. He knew it was a long shot but it just might work, but he would make sure that it worked, he would save Sura. "I'll save her if it is the last thing I do" he thought with a firm resolve. He looked at Ducky who was holding tightly onto one of her mother's fingers. "For Ducky" he resolved.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What, he tried to kill her?!  That's not very nice!  

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wowza😮.  Grey is not a good color.  Trust me, I nearly bled to death after donating blood a few years ago.  The EMTs tried to get me to go to the hospital and get a transfusion, but I hate hospitals and said I'd be fine in a few weeks when all my blood recovered.  They said I was more ashen than the northern sky in the winter, and even gave me a mirror when I said that wasn't possible, that I'd given blood before.  The body changes over time I guess, and my vitals including blood sugar tend to run much lower than your typical parameters.  Needless to say, I was blacklisted from ever giving blood again after that, not that I would unless I was a true masochist.

Leeches are great for reducing blood coagulation, but not when you barely have a drop in your veins.

A good healer would never kill a patient, under the belief that only the universe decides when a person dies, but they are able to accept the limitations placed upon them as a mortal being if they cannot save a patient.  I'm glad Ducky found her big girl voice in that moment.  Good for her.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
NOTE: MAJOR EDITING DONE

Chapter 28: Life Flash

Ducky watched in amazement as Cyrest allowed the leech that he had recovered from outside the cave to latch onto him and begin sucking his blood. Cyrest endured the pain without complaint then when the Leech had its full share he removed it using the same method as before except for one thing. He did not squeeze the leech this time, He took the overgrown bloodsucker to Sura where it latched onto her. That was when Cyrest squeezed all the blood out of the Leech and into Sura's body. After removing the Leech he laid down and panted in exhaustion. He appeared a bit pale but nothing like Sura had been. Sura gained a little colour when the blood entered her body but Ducky did not know whether it would be enough to save her.

"We've done all that we can Ducky, now we shall see if your mother pulls through this" said Cyrest. He gave a tired yawn and fell asleep where he lay. He had given up a lot of blood for Sura. Ducky sat next to her mother, content to sit and wait until she recovered. She would also prevent anything else from harming her. Ducky allowed herself to be filled with the hope that her mother would survive but it was still out of her hands now. It was all dependent on Sura.

Images flashed through Sura's mind as she slept.

She opened her eyes and saw her first image. A dim light came through a strange surface that she appeared to be encased in. She could see the ends of her tail and her feet which were right up close to her head. Her back was covered in a wet substance that she did not know.

The Swimmer then saw what appeared to be shadows cast on the outside of the strange barrier. Many shapes that she did not recognise but filled her with an intense curiosity, she squeaked and touched the barrier with her hand. It was a new sensation to feel, one that she had never felt before. The barrier felt hard and rough.

The Swimmer wagged her tail in excitement and tried to stretch herself out but the barrier prevented her from doing that, so she resolved to break through it and see what was on the other side. She thrust and kicked at the barrier with all her might, her heart beating at twice its normal pace with the effort. Then she heard an excited cry from behind the barrier. She pushed harder and harder, until the surface of the barrier was filled with cracks that let light in.

Then with one final push the Swimmer broke through the barrier that was her egg and landed on the ground outside. The sensations that greeted her were both exciting and confusing which made her very curious. She heard strange sounds that included squeaks from her clutch mates and the sound of running water that was loud in her ears. A warm wind fell over her along with the light which was a lot more abundant outside of her egg. She smelled strange scents that were unfamiliar to her but ones that she liked none the less.

The Swimmer opened her eyes and was almost blinded by the light. She blinked a few times until her eyes adjusted. Now she could see.

She looked around with excitement and curiosity. She saw a river and a few tall trees, she saw the sky, the sun and the nest that was filled with hatching eggs. Then the young Swimmer saw what had made the shadow over the barrier that she had just broken. She beheld a brown Swimmer with a duck beak and crest with webbed hands and feet and a strong body and tail. The Swimmer was smiling warmly at her, which made the newborn smile back her tail wagging from side to side in excitement. She did not know who or what this creature in her new world was but she liked it especially when it nuzzled her.

The hatchling laughed happily as the felt the new sensation of being tickled. She placed her little hands on the creature’s beak and felt it. The skin of the Swimmers beak felt smooth underhand.

"Hello Sura" said the Swimmer in a soft and kind voice.

Sura did not understand what her mother had just said but she loved the sound that she made, it made her feel happy and safe. She looked around the nest at her clutch mates and spotted one that looked exactly like her. Sura felt very curious now. She wondered how this creature could look so much like her. She crawled up to her newly named sister: Merri. The two looked at each other up and down, they touched each other and squeaked in happiness. The two sisters hugged each over as they started their journey into this brave new world.

The years had passed and now Sura was an adult, her adventurous childhood was left behind and a new chapter of her life had started. Sura walked along the banks of a wide river. On her side there was a parched, desert land and on the other was a tall green forest filled with food. Sura felt her stomach complain as she looked at the green food longingly. The only thing that separated her from the food was the river. But the river was deep, fast flowing and ended in a powerful whirlpool at a junction of three rivers that could kill even the strongest of Swimmers.

Sura may be an adult but she was a new adult, who only just left the nest to make her own way and she was still very inexperienced in life. Her reason told her not to risk taking on the river but her reason was overthrown by her growling stomach which had not received any food for the past five days. Sura's hunger was just too strong at this time to ignore, she had to satisfy it. So against her better judgement she stepped into the river.

The water was cold and very fast. Sura resisted the pull of the current and walked into deeper waters, all went well until she reached the middle of the river where the water reached up to her neck and the current was far stronger. Sura took another step forward but slipped on a rock and lost her footing. She did not even have time to scream before she was pulled under the water and swept downstream.

Sura regained her balance and tried make a break for the shore but the current held her firmly in place with an iron grip that refused to let go. Sura tried to break the surface but the current was pulling her into the deeper waters. Sura started to panic, she kicked her legs desperately, but to little avail. She looked ahead and her eyes widened in fear, she was heading for the whirlpool at full speed.

Sura now knew how foolish she had been in letting hunger rule her reason. She braced herself for the impact that was to come. The impact of the water came with such force that it knocked all the air out of Sura's lungs. Sura was in a full panic now, she had hardly any air left and her mind was becoming dangerously clouded, she knew that she would not survive unless she could make it to the surface.

Sura angled herself down with the current and mustered all the speed she could before trying to break the surface. She felt the current resisting her efforts to beat it. Her body was burning with the exertion but she pushed herself. Her hands broke the surface but by that point she had no strength left and the current started pulling her down again. Sura felt light headed. "Is this what dying feels like?" she thought as she used up the last bit of air she had.

SPLASH!

A hand grabbed hold of outstretched Sura's hand and pulled her out of the water. Sura gasped and took deep breaths of the welcoming air and filled her lungs with it. She struggled to the shore and lay there in a trembling heap. She had a fit of coughs and vomited up a lot of water that she had swallowed in the river. She groaned.

"Are you okay?" asked a concerned voice.

Sura looked up and saw a tall male Swimmer, whose hide was a mixture of light blue and green hues on his belly, while being coloured a light brown on the rest of his body. She nodded at the Swimmer. "I feel much better now," she said "did you pull me out?"

The male nodded. "I thought I was too late but you were still alive when I pulled you out. What were you thinking in trying to take on that river? You almost got yourself killed" he said in a shocked voice.

"I was starving" was all Sura could say in reply. "But.......thank you for saving me" she said in a kind, grateful voice.

The male smiled and helped her up. "What is your name" he asked inquisitively.

"Sura, what's yours?"

"Ruphus."

At least nine years had passed since Sura had met Ruphus and now they were mated and had their own children. Sura watched them playing in the watering hole a little away from the rest of the Swimmer families. She watched all eight of her children: Echo, Ray, Opal, Rapid, Diver, Spinner, Sandy and Ducky playing tag in the water, each one as happy as they could be. They had lived a tough life, with the land suffering a major drought. Water and food had become scarce but that never seemed to dampen the spirits of the children.

Sura watched as Opal chased Ducky to the other side of the shore, while everyone else moved to her side. That was when it happened.

The ground rumbled with a force so violent that it sent everyone to the ground. "EARTHSHAKE!!!" was shouted from everyone present. Deep cracks appeared in the ground and headed straight through the water hole draining all the water through the crack.

"Children come here! HURRY!" yelled Sura.

Six of her children made it into her, Merri and Ruphus. A loud scream of pain sounded that drew Sura's eyes back to the now dried up watering hole. She saw Ducky supporting Opal whose leg was twisted badly, preventing her from walking. Ducky moved slowly over to her mother who ran out to meet them.

"AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

Sura turned to her left and gasped as over half of the herd fell as the ground they were on collapsed, sending then falling to oblivion. If she and her family had been with them then they would have perished too. A large crack appeared in the middle of the earth between Sura and her two children.

"Ducky, Opal jump!" shouted Sura from her side of the crack.

"I can't move my leg" cried Opal in pain.

"Mama Catch Opal!" called Ducky. And with that Ducky threw Opal with all her might toward her mother, but the throw fell short and Opal started to fall but Sura grabbed her in her hand and pulled to safety. With Opal safe Sura turned her attention to Ducky.

Sura reached out for her daughter as Ducky took her run up but all of a sudden the ground that Sura was on suddenly lifted.

"RUN DUCKY, RUN!" she yelled as she was sent up. She could not see her daughter but she heard her scream and then she heard the deafening sounds of the crumbling earth. She lay on her belly and held onto the ground until finally after an unknown amount of time the ground stopped shaking.

Sura recovered herself and rushed to the edge. At first she could not see anything through the dust but as the dust cleared she saw a huge crack in the earth. She could not see the bottom of the crack, all she could see was the blackness staring up at her. Sura looked at the land on the other side of the divide.

She noted how deformed the land was. It was no longer flat and had many overhangs. But worst of all was that Ducky was nowhere to be seen.

"DUCKY!" called Sura. But she got no reply. She knew that the chances that Ducky survived were almost non-existent. She looked away from the edge and cried hard into her hands. Ruphus looked at the scene and held on to Sura tightly.

"She might have survived dear, she might just be unconscious somewhere" said Ruphus in an attempt to brighten his mate. Sura didn't really listen, she wept hard for her dear Ducky. Opal limped up to her.

"Where's Ducky?" she asked.

Sura looked hard at Opal. Ducky had saved her but at a terrible cost. "A life for a life" thought Sura. "Come here dear" she said and took Opal up in her hands. Opal cried loudly when she saw the destruction caused by the earthquake. She buried herself in her mother's arms and sobbed hysterically, completely inconsolable.

Sura nuzzled her, but she was faring no better than Opal. "Come on dears, it's time we got going" said Sura sadly.

"But what about Ducky?" cried Echo in dismay, he too was crying.

"I'm sure it's what she would have wanted dear, now let's go" Sura stood up and before she left, she looked back at the destroyed land in the hope that she would spot Ducky. But she was disappointed. "I'm so sorry Ducky" she said then left for The Great Valley.

Sura was eating some of the underwater green food in the river next to her new nest in The Great Valley. She felt proud that she had safely gotten her family here safely. "Almost all" her mind corrected. Sura sighed sadly, if only she knew if Ducky had survived. She had been plagued by constant nightmares since that horrible day and hence was badly sleep deprived.

"But at least I still have the rest of my family" thought Sura which was more then she could say for The Longnecks or Mr Threehorn. Suddenly laughter erupted behind her, she thought it was just her children playing around but when she turned her head she was greeted by a sight that she thought she'd never see again. There was Ducky on the back of a baby Spiketail, they slid through the water towards them.

"Ducky!" she yelled.

"Mama!" replied Ducky as Sura embraced her. She felt more alive than she had been in days. "Oh Ducky, I'm so glad your all right" she said.

"Me too yep, yep, yep" said Ducky.

Sura smiled at her then turned her eyes on the Spiketail. Ducky could see this and jumped onto the Spiketails back. "This is our new brother Spike" she announced to the family. Sura heard what Ducky said, she looked at Spike and considered her options. She knew that there were no other Spiketails in The Great Valley and as much as she could tell Spike was an orphan. But her daughter had taken him in and already liked him so what was the harm in adopting him. Even though he was a Spiketail and she was a Swimmer and raising Spike would bring its own set of challenges, she resolved to take them as they came. She bend down and nuzzled Spike, her new son.

“I am not going to have a daughter who is friends with a Sharptooth!” yelled Ruphus to Sura.

The night was cold by The Big Water and Sura and Ruphus were standing on a secluded beach far from the herd or their children. It was two days after Ducky and Spike returned from Chomper’s Island along with the rest of The Gang.

However after Ducky gave her parents the details of her adventure on the Island as well as the finding of Chomper’s egg the happy, relieved atmosphere was completely dissolved. Sura was shocked that Ducky and Spike had hatched and raised a Sharptooth in The Great Valley, she was also shocked by her apparent friendship with said Sharptooth but she was astonished that they had survived there time on the Island.

Ruphus however did not handle the story very well. He was horrified that Ducky was friends with a Sharptooth, he knew about Sharpteeth, he had suffered at their claws, he had lost his friend and several of his siblings to the teeth and claws of Sharpteeth. Ruphus was not going to accept his daughter’s apparent friendship with one of those murderous fiends. He furiously scolded her for it, letting out a furious rant about how foolish she had been.

However when Ducky said naively “I did not mean to do all this, I did not mean to make you mad no, no, no” she said, sounding a little hurt.      

Ruphus had stomped on the ground and shouted at her “Make Me Mad?!” He yelled at his cowering daughter “I’M FURIOUS!!!!”

He stomped his foot on the ground causing the ground to shake. Ducky screamed and tried to run but her father caught her by the tail and lifted her up in front of his face. Ducky was crying now, she had never seen her father so angry before in all her life and it scared her. “You are no daughter of mine if you can be friends with one of those beasts!” he yelled.

It was at that moment that Sura stepped in, snatching Ducky out of her mate’s hands. “Ruphus!” she yelled in shame and shock. Ducky sobbed into her mother’s chest “We will talk later” she said as she turned and left in order to comfort Ducky.

Now here they were.

To say that Sura was unhappy with Ruphus was a complete understatement, she was really angry. She glared at Ruphus with her hands on her hips and he glared back. “How could you treat her like that?!” She yelled. “Your own daughter!” Sura was furious with the way Ruphus had treated Ducky though she knew that her mate had been through hard times with Sharpteeth before, he had crossed a line with Ducky and Sura was extremely protective of all her children, she was not going to stand this sort of behaviour from anyone.

“She’s no daughter of mine!” hissed Ruphus coldly.

“She’s your own flesh and blood Ruphus even if you don’t want her to be” replied Sura

Ruphus stomped his foot, he was hardly as open minded as Sura, especially when it came to Sharpteeth. “But I will not have a daughter who fraternises with a blood thirsty murderer!” shouted Ruphus.

“He was just a child Ruphus,” said Sura. “Just like Ducky.” Ruphus looked away from Sura, his blood boiling and his fists clenched “Would you kill Ducky if she were a Sharptooth?” asked Sura in fear.

“I would kill any and all Sharpteeth that cross my path if I had the power” he said firmly. While Sura put her hands on her mouth in horror.

“Please say you don’t mean that, you would never hurt your children, our children” said Sura, her hands trembled.

“Shut UP! Yelled Ruphus, suddenly pushing Sura back. Sura was so astonished she fell to the ground looking horrified, Ruphus had never struck her before.
“I DON’T GIVE A DANM ABOUT THE CHILDREN NOW, BUT IF THEY ARE HELPING SHARPTEETH THEY ARE NOT MY CHILDREN AND I WILL TREAT THEM LIKE I TREAT ANY SHARPTOOTH!!!!!!!” yelled Ruphus at the top of his lungs.

Sura got back on her feet looking horrified, she had tears in her eyes when she next spoke “Then why haven’t killed Ducky and Spike yet? If what you say is true” asked Sura.

Ruphus shrugged “then perhaps I’d better get the job done.” He said firmly and started walking off with a purpose.

“NOOOOOO!!!!” screamed Sura and rammed herself into Ruphus’s back.

Ruphus fell to the ground but he managed to trip Sura with his tail but Sura jumped on Ruphus in an attempt to hold him down. “I WILL NOT LET YOU HARM THE CHILDREN, YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD!!!!!!!” screamed Sura. The two wrestled around and rolled into the water and proceeded to pummel each other senseless until finally after one ferocious fight they both stood staring enraged at each other.

“I will not be a part of this Sharptooth loving family” said Ruphus, panting with exhaustion, he and Sura were both bleeding from cuts and abrasions along their badly bruised bodies.

“Then go on then……leave this family……..never come back……..I hope I never see you again” said Sura who was now crying.

“Fine” said Ruphus tonelessly and turned his back on Sura and walked away until he was out of sight while Sura fell to the ground and began to weep uncontrollably over the loss of her dearest love.

“AHHHHH!!!!! Put Me Down!!!!”

Sura opened her eyes drearily, her mind was still asleep yet she quiet distinctly heard something.  

“I Am Not a Flyer!!!” screamed the same voice. It sounded familiar, Sura jumped to attention with a horrible realisation, she knew who that voice belonged too. Sura looked down at her children and…

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!”

“DUCKY!!!” screamed Sura in horror when she heard her daughter scream and she was not in the nest either. Everyone around jumped awake in shock including all her children who also recognised the voice of their sister.

“What’s Going On!!!?” Cried a nearby Hollowhorn.

“Sharpteeth!!!” screamed a nearby Threehorn female who was dashing past.

Sura leapt up and yelled to Merri. “Look after the kids, don’t let them leave the nest, I've got to save Ducky!” she cried and ran off into The Valley.

“HELP, HELP, HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!” came Ducky’s scream.

“DUCKY WHERE ARE YOU!!!” yelled Sura running around frantically, searching for her daughter. She dare not even think what would happen if she was too late. She ran to the main river and saw a splash as Littlefoot surfaced with Petrie on her head. Sura ran to them, perhaps they knew where Ducky was.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! HELP, HELP, HHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!” screamed Ducky.

Littlefoot and Petrie gasped and looked up in horror. Sura followed their gaze and saw three Flyers in the distance that appeared to be heading into The Mysterious Beyond “Where is Ducky! She cried rounding on the two kids.

Petrie let out a loud wail “Ducky gone!” he lamented.        

“Gone!” said Sura, her eyes and mouth opening wide in horror.

“Those Flyers took her” said Littlefoot pointing his snout up to the three Flyers.

“Why me Uncle Pterano take her?” she cried Petrie who was in tears and completely shattered from this betrayal.

“Pterano?” said Sura in horrible realisation. “He’s kidnapped Ducky?” asked Sura slowly, the fear and panic rising into an overwhelming torrent.

“Yes” said Littlefoot.

Sura swayed on the spot then fell to the ground with a large thud, as she completely blacked out with the horrifying scenario fate had presented her.    

Sura was enjoying her lunch with Merri while the kids played in the stream next to the nest however they were still missing their father who had been absent for more than two years. Sura brushed away those thoughts, she had loved Ruphus and he had loved her and they had many fond memories of each other. But that was all gone. Taken in one fateful night, one argument. Sura shook her head and suddenly walked away from the stream.

“Sura?” said Merri uncertainly.

“I’m okay, I just need some time alone” replied Sura with a hint of melancholy in her voice.

Sura walked until she was in a secluded spot by the stream and looked down into the water, a few chocked sobs escaped her. Ruphus’s absence had taken its toll on her. With her mate gone there was a lot more work to be done in terms of looking after the kids and of course there were some nights that Sura remained completely awake, unable to fall asleep and other times when she would just begin to cry for no apparent reason.

No one knew of course. Sura was the same as ever on the outside but inside her heart was torn with grief at being separated for so long. With no outlet, her emotions were eating her from the inside. Sura crouched down and stared at her depressed face in the water, a face that would make every resident in The Valley want to help but none had to experience a breakup like she had so who could she talk too?

Suddenly there was there was a sudden rustling in the bushes nearby. Sura tried to wipe away her tears and regain her composure as she rose up but what she saw made her heart stop. Sura gasped in astonishment.
Standing on the over side of the stream wearing the same astonished expression as her was none other than Ruphus.

The two Swimmers stood utterly frozen to the spot as the stared at each other. The whole world felt like it had stopped for then then all of a sudden, almost simultaneously the two Swimmers gave out yells of joy and ran toward each other. They met in the middle of the stream and embraced in a loving hug. Ruphus twirled in a circle, laughing loudly as did Sura before they both stopped and Sura pulled her mate into a long kiss.

She felt like she was invincible at that moment, her heart no longer ached because now she was back where she belonged. She had tears fall from her eyes. However as she looked into Ruphus’s eyes she felt an old pain and anger assert itself over her.

Without warning Sura pushed Ruphus down into the water and with a pained yell she proceeded to beat every inch of him that was in her reach. Her tears streaming down her eyes but Ruphus did not fight back or even beg for her to stop.

“YOU…….UNIMAGINABLE…….BASTARD RUPHUS!!!!!” she yelled as she punched him in the face.

Ruphus fell to his knees and Sura actually saw that he was crying. “Oh Sura” he sobbed.

“You show up here after two cold times…….and……..and…….You have not been here for me, for my children!” cried Sura.

Ruphus looked up at Sura and said just two words “Our children.”

“Do you know how much pain you have caused for us, everything you missed, Ducky was kidnapped and where were you?!” said Sura in anguish.

“Ducky was kidnapped?! Said Ruphus in horror getting back on his feet.

“She is fine now, playing at home and why do you care if she is a Sharptooth friend?!” replied Sura.

Ruphus closed his eyes tightly and held her hand and sobbed “I’m so sorry, I have never done anything so stupid before.”

Sura gasped “Do you think that simply saying sorry will help Ruphus?” said Sura.

“No” said Ruphus shaking his head. “I never wanted this. To be away from you or the kids and Ducky. I take it all back, she is my daughter and I love her.”

Sura’s expression softened. “Why did you come back?” she asked quietly.

Ruphus looked at her “You know why dear, I just want a second chance a chance to redeem myself” he said.

Sura stood rooted to the spot, her mind in conflict over whether she should take Ruphus back in or not. “I missed you” said Ruphus.

Sura’s mind clicked, her decision was made. She grabbed her mate and pulled him into a loving but strangling embrace, her tears flowing the whole time. “I missed you too” she said as she finally had her love back now the family was well and truly back together.

The two disengaged and smiled at each other. “Come dear, I think the kids would like to see you again” she said.  

Ruphus chuckled and smiled “Anything for you dear” he replied.

Ruphus and Sura then made three direct but short kisses before turning both their heads down then bringing them up again simultaneously so that they were both facing skyward before bringing there beaks back down. After that they both circled each other nuzzling the side of the others beak until they came to a stop and held onto each other’s hands and arching their necks they touched the tips of their beaks together. Finally they broke off and hence ending the traditional Swimmer courtship dance, it had a very symbolic meaning for them, a symbol of union, a symbol of love.

The two left the clearing with their hands held together and smiles on their faces.  

Sura lay on her belly in the snow. It was the first time she had ever seen such strange stuff but it had brought her children joy today so she found it easier to put up it with despite what the Spiketails had told her about it. Everyone appeared happy except for Ducky. She sat some distance away from her mother and had not eaten any of her dinner and had refused any counselling by her father or siblings. Sura knew perfectly well why Ducky was acting like this. She had shattered her daughter's day when she gave Spike permission to sleep over with Tippy. In one second Sura watched Ducky turn from her happy, cheerful self to an angry, depressed side that she had never seen nor wanted to see again.

Sura knew that her daughter just wanted to be with Spike, but she had appeared to have forgotten that Spike had never had any associations with any of his own kind before and that this experience was very special to him.

The night came and Sura called her children over to her but Ducky did not move from her position. She had her back to her mother with her arms folded and a furious glare on her face.

"Come Ducky, sleeping time" called Sura. Ducky ignored her.

Sura groaned and spoke directly to her daughter. "Look dear, I understand that you are upset but that's no reason to give me the cold shoulder" she said.

Ducky's beak twitched but she made no move.

"Ducky why don't you tell me what's bothering you?" asked Sura although she already knew but it was not good for Ducky to hold all her emotions in.

Ducky turned around and asked in a very hurt voice "how could you?"

"I did what I thought was right at the time dear" said Sura, trying to be reasonable.

"That decision was not right nope, nope, nope." said Ducky "Spike should have come home with us yep, yep, yep.”

"Ducky did you not see that Spike wanted to go with Tippy? He is the first kid of his kind that he has ever met" replied Sura.

"Humpth" said Ducky, turning her back.

Sura frowned, insolence was not in Ducky's personality and yet here she was displaying it. "Ducky come here dear, you still need your sleep" said Sura trying to keep her voice calm and composed.

"I will sleep here I will, I will" replied Ducky.

"Ducky" said her mother in a more serious voice. "This weather is more dangerous than it looks, the Spiketails have told me that younglings can freeze to death in the cold, I am not going to take that chance with you."

"Ohhh, the Spiketails told you" said Ducky in a mocking voice.

Sura glared at her rebellious daughter "Ducky, come here!" she said firmly.

"No!" said Ducky in a rebellious voice. "Spike is my brother, but you do not appear to want him as your son, if you can send him away like that!" Ducky turned and stomped off.

Sura had enough of this. She quickly grabbed Ducky's tail in her beak and hoisted her into the air, she could feel Ducky struggling and could hear her angry protests but she did not let that stop her. She placed Ducky next to her and swung her tail around her children.

"Listen Ducky, you can be mad at me some other time but now I'm not going to risk your life for foolish reasons is that understood!? Spike is indeed my son, but that does not mean that he can't visit his friends, do I make myself clear!?" she said firmly.

Ducky glared at her mother and walked into the middle of the area sealed by her mother's body and settled down, keeping her head turned away from her mother.

Sura sighed. "I am sorry little one" she said.

Sura laid her head on the ground and thought of Spike. He was like a son to her but now she wasn't sure. He was still a Spiketail and she a Swimmer and that made it difficult at this moment to decide what was in Spike's best interests. But Ducky's outburst made her feel very uneasy, she had been acting very oddly lately, doing things that did not suit her and overreacting at the smallest things. Sura hoped that all would be well soon as she drifted into an uneasy sleep.

Sura laid beside her mate in the early hours of the evening. Her nest was prepared and she was ready. Merri was supervising the children at the watering hole where they were still happily playing. She and Ducky had only just returned from The Hidden Clearing after Ducky's disastrous attempt to master The Swimmers Wisdoms.

"It's so good to see you again dear" said Ruphus.

"Same you darling" replied Sura.

"How did the rest of the training go? Did Ducky go well with the wisdoms? I can't deny that I didn't expect to see you to back this early" he said.

Sura sighed and launched into a story about how Ducky had broken down from the training that she had given her in preparation for The Trial of Destiny.

Ruphus sighed when she was done and placed a his hand on her hand. "At least you tried" he said.

"And I will try again" said Sura.

"Sura" said Ruphus in a warning voice. "Don't push Ducky to hard, remember she is just a child and does not have the abilities of an adult or their self-control, what were to happen if Ducky was to fail the Wisdoms dear? She would be devastated and how would she have the strength to take The Trial then?" he asked.

Sura looked down "I just want her to be safe, is it a crime trying to keep your children safe from vile traditions?" asked Sura.

Ruphus shook his head "No dear, I'm just saying that I don't want Ducky to do something stupid because she thinks that she can't handle the Wisdoms." he said calmly.

But Sura did not respond to Ruphus, she just groaned at the pain in her belly. "It's time" she said. Sura got up and walked over to the nest and proceeded to lay her eggs, with each push another egg was laid until there were eight eggs in the nest. Sura laid down beside Ruphus, totally devoid of strength. "She'll survive dear, there is always hope......I know...she will......live" Sura yawned, she was now exhausted after laying her eggs and fell asleep as soon as her head touched the ground. But she would soon wake again to tell Ruphus her plan for getting rid of Sculra.

Everything went black, all these thought's and memories passed through Sura's mind in an instant then all of a sudden the blackness took shape.

Sura swam through the water. Toward a whirlpool, her way back to Ducky. Her legs were burning and she was exhausted and her injuries bled but she still swam, the current pushed against her in an attempt to stop her. A black Swimming Sharptooth was chasing after Sura in an attempt to catch her. Sura wanted nothing more than to stop and give in but she knew that Ducky needed her, so she forced herself onwards until she was at the edge of the whirlpool. She was tired now, so very tired. "Why do I need to push myself?" questioned a voice inside Sura "If I stop then the pain will go away."

Sura was about to give in to the voices demands when another voice, a strong voice spoke in her mind "Keep going! Ducky needs me, I won't leave her or any of my children. I will survive!" Sura felt a new strength assert itself over her and she pushed her limits despite everything being against her, the voice gave her something to fight for and it gave her strength to overcome her obstacles.

"Hold on Ducky, I'm coming!" she thought to herself and with a final kick, she entered the whirlpool and everything went black.

Sura could not see anything, though she could hear the trickling of water nearby and another voice.

"Mama, please come back." Sura felt something nuzzle the right side of her face.

"That's Ducky's voice" thought Sura. Suddenly she felt the pain which was the dominant feeling all over her body, she groaned.

"Mama?!" said the voice in joy.

Sura opened her eyes and saw Ducky grinning at her.

"Oh mama, you are alive you are, you are!" cried Ducky, she jumped in joy and cuddled her mother.

Sura smiled weakly "Yes dear, I'm back" she said in a loving voice to her daughter. "I'm back and I’ll never leave you again."

Now that was a big chapter. If your wondering about the name it of the chapter: Life Flash. It refers to how people's life flashes before their eyes in a dire situation. So now we have a bit more detail on Sura's life, I was tempted to add a little more but I think that this is an adequate amount. But still at least Sura is back and alive and on her way to recovery. Hope you enjoyed the chapter, feel free to comment and review as it's always helpful and stay tuned for the next few instalments.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Whatever happened to Sura's sister Merri?  

Glad she made it.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I love this latest chapter.  This kind of experience is somewhat similar to astral travel, which is a pretty awesome phenomenon 😁.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 29: Generous Hospitality  

"But I don't want to go to sleep mama" came Ducky's rebellious reply to her mother, who had just told her that it was her sleeping time.

"Now, now dear" said Sura "I don't want you to neglect yourself on my account, besides". Sura looked over at Jane who was waiting impatiently for Ducky in her nest. Sura was amazed by how much the hatchling had bonded with Ducky when she first met Jane, she appeared to think that Ducky was her mother. "Your little one is waiting for you" chuckled Sura at suggesting that Ducky was now a mother.

Ducky, however did not find this statement amusing. "She is not "my little one" mom, no, she is not oh no no no" she said in a grumpy voice. She was now expected by Jane to do everything for her ever since she had woken up and her constant cries for attention were very draining on the young Swimmer. "I just do not want to leave you again" said Ducky in a small voice.

Sura smiled, she nuzzled her daughter before giving her a gentle push with her beak that was in Jane's general direction. "Go on dear, I will be here when you wake up" said Sura in a comforting voice.

Ducky was very reluctant to leave her mother's side as she was still worried for her, she had taken up the responsibility of looking after her mother during the day but that was made very difficult by Jane who was constantly seeking her attention. All this made Ducky awfully drowsy at the end of the day.

Ducky agreed to sleep when Cyrest arrived back with some fresh herbs for Sura, she walked other to the nest and suddenly put her hands to her nose and exclaimed in disgust. Jane had relieved herself in the nest, the leaves were drenched and the very sight of the waste disgusted Ducky. "Eeeewww" she said.

"Mom!" she complained. Sura looked at Ducky, she immediately contemplated what had happened due to her experience in raising her own young. "I can see dear" she said.

"Ducky is not going to like this" thought Sura as she prepared give Ducky her first lesson in baby care.

"Aren't you going clean this up?" she asked, impatiently as the cave was starting to smell.

Sura chuckled. "Actually you are the one who will clean it up" she said in a humorous voice.

"What!" cried Ducky in a disbelieving voice. "You cannot be serious mom" said Ducky indignantly.

"I am too weak to move dear "said Sura "and by the time Cyrest arrives back we'll have to find a new cave, so that leaves you". Ducky looked a little greener. The thought of cleaning out a messed nest was repugnant to Ducky on so many levels, it was simply disgusting.

Ducky began to protest but her mother silenced her with a clearing of her throat. "I know that you don't like this dear but it is something that you will have to do eventually and it will not be good for Jane to sleep in that nest if it isn't cleaned. All you have to do is take up the leaves and dispose them outside the cave and replace the leaf’s afterwards, do you think you can do that?" asked Sura.

"Yes yes yes I could do that but-"

"Well, go on then" interrupted Sura.

Ducky looked bewildered, she was about to make her opinions known but the firm look on her mother's face took away any thought of argument and the cave really was beginning to smell. So Ducky made short work of her task. She quickly grabbed up the leaves as many leaves as she could in one hand and held her nose with the other and keeping her eyes situated ahead, proceeded to rush to the relieving spot near the cave where she disposed of the leaves and ran back. She repeated this twice more and then had the tedious task of gathering more leaves for the nest. Finally when all was done she washed herself in the stream and sat down on the cave floor looking exhausted.

"There now, it’s better once the deed is done is it not" said Sura. Ducky could only yawn in response, she was just too tired to talk. She wondered over to Jane and the dry nest and after Jane curled up to her, she fell asleep immediately. Her deep breaths resonating throughout the cave.

Cyrest arrived with more herbs in his hands and placed them beside Sura. He like Ducky had been a moment before was panting with exhaustion. "What happened to you?" asked Sura.

"Had to double back in order to avoid a pack of Sharpteeth, so it took me twice as long to get the herbs then it normally would, everything alright with you?" he asked in a compassionate voice.

"I'm fine thank you" replied Sura in an equally compassionate voice. She had been astonished when she had woken up to find Cyrest tending to her wounds but she was no less relieved that she and Ducky had successfully found him. She did not have much time to chat with him as he left to gather more herbs shortly after she woke and had not been back until now. "Though Ducky had a practical session in taking care of Jane" chuckled Sura in amusement.

Cyrest chuckled at Sura's gist. "So the little mother has learned that being a mother is not always a swim in the pond" he said humorously.  

"Thank you for saving me and looking after my little Ducky" said Sura in respectful voice.

Cyrest shook his head "you owe your life to your daughter more then me, if it had not been for Ducky then I would have given up and you would not have been saved" said Cyrest. "And Ducky took care of herself so you don't need to thank me".

Sura understood the implications of what Cyrest had meant when he said that he would have given up if it had not been for Ducky, but she knew perfectly well what had happened when she was unconscious thanks to Ducky who had told her all that had happened between the Sharptooth attack and when she woke up. "We haven't been formally introduced" said Sura, scolding herself for forgetting the most basic of manners. "I'm Ducky's mother but my name is Sura" she said.

Cyrest nodded and smiled kindly. "Then I am glad to have formally met you Sura" he said "your daughter has already told me why you are here and I have already said that I would help as much as I can".

Sura looking so relieved when Cyrest said that he would help her. "Thank you again Cyrest, I will not forget this" she said in her kindest voice.

"I could not let such a charming little Swimmer die now could I?" said Cyrest. He paused for a moment "Ducky told me about how Sculra attacked her" said Cyrest in a more serious voice.

"You know her?" asked Sura.

"I wish I didn't" said Cyrest coldly, he wore a blank expression that hid his anger. "I knew Sculra as a child and she was a total bully which she still retains to this day. She always wanted to be on top of the mountain and she was wiling to do anything to hold onto that power. She always seemed to get her way whether by force or by cunning". Sura scowled at Cyrest's words.

Sura told Cyrest all that had passed between her and Sculra from when they first met to the present, when she finished Cyrest was gnarling his teeth furiously "That son of a Sharptooth" he hissed "She has done all this to you?" he asked.

"Yes, and that is just my family alone" said Sura. "but there are many others who have suffered at her hand".

Cyrest shook his head with resolve "Well then, I will make sure that Sculra will never send anyone else to perform in that Trial" he said.

"I am glad that you will help me, my little Ducky has been through far to much for one so young. I tried to teach her The Swimmer Wisdoms but "Sura looked down in defeat "I failed and Ducky ran away, she was just so scared. My other children now know what Ducky is going through and it has been hard on them especially Spike, he is so close to Ducky, it would break his heart if Ducky failed the Trial" said Sura.

Sura was close to tears, Cyrest put a hand on her back. "I think I know how to help Ducky, the training I have in mind will teach her the Wisdoms but it will be a lot less difficult for her to master them and it will not be nearly as draining on her" said Cyrest.

Sura grinned for the first time in what felt like years for her, she felt now that Ducky had a real chance at completing the Trial, however she and Cyrest were both completely ignorant of the danger that lay beneath the Crescent Caves but many miles away in the Great Valley this topic was starting to come into a clearer light for some of it's residents.    

Well there is the next chapter, hope you like it. Sorry for the delay in posting. I had a test for The Blue Planet in my Marine Biology course that I had to revise for but now that's done posting of chapters should resume it's normal rhythm.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 30: "What Now?"

Littlefoot was not in the mood for the morning lesson with Mr Thicknose, he was tired and he appeared to be very troubled. His mind kept playing back that dream. Whenever he closed his eyes he found himself looking back into his mother's face, watching one of the numerous gruesome scenes from last night or seeing the flash of teeth. His mind couldn't be less on his class on changes that could be expected from the Time of Great Growing. He stared dreamily off into the distance without comment and with a troubled look on his face. He didn't even hear Mr Thicknose call his name for the third time in a row.  

"Littlefoot!" yelled a sharp voice and the next second he felt something sharp hit him on his right flank. Littlefoot jolted out of his trance and turned to face an agitated Cera, pushing her horn into his flank. "Well, when you finally wake up, Mr Thicknose wants to continue his talk" she said in a sarcastic voice.

"Oh" said Littlefoot in surprise. Looking around at everyone. "Sorry guys, my mind was.......elsewhere" he said.  

"You can say that again" growled Cera.

"Littlefoot" said Mr Thicknose "would you please pay attention to your lesson". Mr Thicknose paused "Unless......Is there something bothering you Littlefoot?" he asked in a inquisitive voice.

"No, nothing is troubling me" said Littlefoot quickly, but he had forgotten that Ali was present. She hardly left his side now, especially after the events of the previous night.

"Oh yeah and the Longneck I saw last night that happened to be having a seizure in his sleep was not the one standing in front of me" said Ali in a voice that was scorn with sarcasm. Littlefoot did not want to worry his friends with his own troubles so he had tried to keep his mouth shut when Mr Thicknose questioned him but now that Ali had brought that subject up and everyone was staring at him, uncertainly. Each one was waiting for an explanation for what Ali had said.

Littlefoot sighed and told them about the dream he had experienced the previous night. He left out the talk with his mother and the three scenes at the end but even without those additions, his friends and Mr Thicknose particularly appeared to look very worried. Littlefoot looked down. "It was the worst sight that I had ever seen" said Littlefoot, his voice trembled as he spoke.

Ruby put a comforting hand on his back and looked deep into his eyes. In her eyes, Littlefoot could see a sense of understanding, sadness and envy for him. She turned to Mr Thicknose and asked curtly and respectably if they could resume their lesson later, to which Mr Thicknose consented and left.

When he was gone Ruby said to Littlefoot "My friend, I think I can speak for everyone here that we" Ruby gestured to the Gang "have all had scary sleep stories concerning Ducky, we are all worried for her, so could you please tell us the rest of the sleep story? The rest of the sleep story could you please tell us" asked Ruby politely.

It was so well done, her inquiry about the rest of the dream, her politeness and kind concern in her voice and the understanding that lay deep in her blue eyes. Littlefoot could not refuse such a request. So he told them about the three images he saw at the end of the dream. The Crescent Caves, the flash of teeth and the river of blood. "Then I found myself back at the nest with......m-m" Littlefoot took in a deep breath to steady himself, a single tear ran down his eye. "I saw my mother" he said.

He saw looks of sympathy from each of his friends, they all knew that his mother was dead through Ruby and Chomper had not been told how it happened. But either way they all knew how much pain Littlefoot was feeling right now. He rarely ever talked about his mother's death if he could help it because Littlefoot had often told his friends that the memory of his mother's death was still very vivid in his mind. He told them what she had said for the first part of his talk with her but soon found that the words died in his mouth, so he sat down and looked intently at the ground in silence. "I miss her" was all he could say.

The six friends crowded close around him. Ruby and Chomper both put comforting hands on his back, Petrie hugged Littlefoot's front leg while Spike licked him on the left cheek while Ali nuzzled his right cheek. Cera stood in front of Littlefoot, she wore a sad look and nodded to Littlefoot. It was her way of saying that she understood.

"I miss my mother and I miss Ducky to" said Littlefoot quietly.

After a short time the friends broke off. "I think" said Littlefoot "that Ducky is up against a Swimming Sharptooth". The effect that this sentence had on the rest of his friends was immediate. Petrie jumped and fell to the ground, breathing heavily as if he had just been struck. Chomper looked like he had just swallowed a mouthful of green food. While Ruby had her hands over her mouth in horror. Ali let out a gasp and Spike seemed to become completely paralysed in shock. Cera's mouth hung agape and refused to close. A silence so complete that even the other Valley noises seemed to be non existent as they each tried to grasp the implications of Littlefoot's theory.

There was a long, uncertain silence, Cera's mouth kept on opening and closing like a fish. But she soon regained control of her voice. "Have you been hit in the head?" stated Cera in complete disbelief, she just refused to believe that Ducky's death was set in concrete.

"Think about it Cera" said Littlefoot "I saw the place where Ducky will take that Trial, at least I think I did then I saw teeth, which would imply that there is a Swimming Sharptooth under the caves and..." Littlefoot gulped "I think we all understand what the red river means".

"You can't be serious Littlefoot!" yelled Cera, her anger steadily rising.

"Cera" said Ruby "If you think about it, then it all fits. No one has ever survived the Trial, the Trial no one has survived because......they were eaten by a Swimming Sharptooth, eaten they were if there were no Swimming Sharptooth then I am sure there would be some survivors" said Ruby.

Cera, along with Spike and Petrie were all breathing very fast. "It-it can't be" said Cera in a weak voice. "Surely the Swimmer's would not let anyone compete if they knew there was a Swimming Sharptooth about" reasoned Cera.

"But they don't know" said Ali "but Sculra might know and she is also the one who runs it.

Spike gave a furious yell at the mention of Sculra's name, anyone who dared to hurt his sister would have him to deal with personally.

"I wish I had killed her that night" hissed Chomper, his whole body quivered with rage.

"Yeah, but that is not important Chomper" said Littlefoot "What now?" he asked "What do we do now that we might know why the Trial has killed everyone who takes it.

"We could try getting rid of the Sharptooth" suggested Chomper.

Ali shook her head. "The caves are only accessible to kids and they would be no match for a Swimming Sharptooth" she said in a logical voice "and the caves are solid rock on the ground so the only thing that might make the cave break is a very big earthshake".

"We tell Grown-ups" said Petrie loudly.

"But what if they do not believe us?" said Cera."I'd like to see you convince my dad".

"I think it is the only thing we can do at the moment" said Littlefoot grimly.

The seven friends headed off toward The Stone Circle, each one hoping that they could save Ducky from an encounter with a Sharptooth.

"That's absurd" said Mr Threehorn after the children had told the elders their theory. "Do you really expect us to believe that their is a Swimming Sharptooth beneath the Crescent Caves?" he asked angrily.

"This is going well" thought Spike sarcastically as Mr Threehorn reacted in just they way they expected him to react.  

"I think that Littlefoot has a point" said Ruphus, The young Longneck's theory confirmed much of his suspicion and he himself was up to the task of removing any Sharptooth if it would save the life of his daughter. "If there is a Sharptooth beneath the Crescent Caves then it is our job to get rid of it for good" said Ruphus firmly.

Mr Threehorn however was still not convinced "Where is your proof?" he asked Littlefoot.

Littlefoot hesitated before answering "I have no other proof other then what I have told you but-"

"See you have no proof, so why should we believe you?" asked Mr Threehorn. There was a murmur of agreement from the assembled adults.

"I have also had this sleep story that warned me about it" said Littlefoot.

"And you expect us to believe your word on that of a sleep story?" called Kosh the Clubtail. Many of the adults laughed.

"It is all the proof I have but I swear on the shell of my egg that I am telling the truth" cried Littlefoot firmly.

"Ha, that's a laugh" said Mr Threehorn "You probably just want attention" he said accusingly, many adults frowned at Littlefoot but a few including his Grandparents, Ruphus and Merri took up sympathetic looks. But what happened next stunned everyone into silence.

"To the dung heap with this crap daddy!! I'm sick of it!! shouted Cera. Everyone stared at her as she made her way to her father. She stood defiantly in front of him. Mr Threehorn was stunned into silence by Cera's unexpected outburst.

"Are you calling Littlefoot a liar? Are you calling me a liar?" asked Cera in an accusing tone.

"What-I...I mean" stuttered Mr Threehorn in amazement. The meeting had suddenly become way more personal.

"We are telling the truth daddy and I am going to do something about this Sharptooth whether you like it or not" said Cera firmly.

It was now that Mr Threehorn found his voice. "I am not calling you a lair honey, it's just that there is no suitable proof" said Mr Threehorn to Cera in a shocked voice which quickly became stern. "And if you think that I will let you risk your life to fight a Sharptooth for a little Swimmer then you will be disappointed. You are forbidden to go to fight any Sharpteeth until you are ready" he said in a stern voice.

Cera by this point was turning red in the face with rage, she shouted at the top of her lungs at her father. "MY FRIEND IS GOING TO TAKE THAT BLASTED TRIAL AND SHE WILL DIE IF THAT SHARPTOOTH LIVES, I WILL NOT SIT ROUND WHILE MY FRIEND FIGHTS FOR HER LIFE AGAINST THAT SHARPTOOTH. HAVE YOU NO CONSCIOUS? I WILL PROTECT MY FRIEND, I KNOW THAT SHE WOULD FIGHT A SHARPTOOTH FOR ANY OF HER FRIENDS AND SO WILL I OR I AM A COWARD, I WILL HELP HER NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY!!!!!!" shouted Cera, she was more angry then she had ever been in her life, she was unaware of the hot tears sliding down her face.

An uncomfortable silence fell over the meeting, everyone stared at Cera and her father in complete disbelief. Cera nodded her head and stomped out of the meeting leaving everyone wondering if they had just dreamed what they had just seen. It was a long time before anyone spoke. "Well I think that we should all leave for today and cool our tongues" said Grandpa Longneck. Everyone as if by a silent consent started to file out of The Stone Circle, many pondering the events of the meeting.  

Littlefoot and his friends stood in shocked silence, their mouths hung open, never had they know Cera to make such a memorable protest. But as the initial shock washed away the concern for Cera mounted. They decided to find her and see if everything was alright and with Chomper's sniffer that was easily done.

They soon found Cera by a secluded part of the watering hole, staring at her reflection in the still water, she appeared to be chocking back sobs.

"Cera?" asked Littlefoot in concern.

Cera tried to regain her tough composure but it proved way to difficult so she just turned her head away from her friends so that they could not see her cry.

Ruby sat down beside Cera and held her paw in support. "You did what you thought was right" she whispered into her ear. Cera closed her eyes and nodded.

"I just wish that my dad would stop being such an ass" said Cera "I mean Ducky's my friend too, is it so wrong to risk myself for her when I know that she would do the same for me?" asked Cera.

"No" said Littlefoot. "We will all do what we can to help each other and we will all help Ducky". Everyone nodded in agreement.

Cera got up and looked at her friends and gave them all a sad smile "thanks guy's" she said "We will save Ducky and we will do it together". Cera looked down. "I will apologise to my dad later. I don't feel like seeing him now" she said.

Littlefoot spoke up. "Cera, the meeting never reached a conclusion so I say that we go to the Crescent Caves and try to find a way to get rid of that Swimming Sharptooth". Cera smiled at Littlefoot.

"Yeah!" the friends cried out in resolve.

"So it's settled then" said Littlefoot "tomorrow we'll go to The Crescent Caves and give that Sharptooth a big kick up the backside. Then we'll know that we have saved Ducky". The seven friends nodded in agreement, no matter what the risk was they would not allow the Sharptooth to claim their friend's life. They would do all they can to save their dear friend Ducky.

Sorry about the delay with the chapter's I have moved back to my home for a holiday from Uni and have got a lot of things going on at the moment which made finding time to write difficult. Anyway hope you liked the chapter (I personally am not overly not fond of my previous chapter but that happens to everyone sometime).

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Dang!  Cera really told them.  That short fuse comes in handy at the right times😉.

DoofahLetOne

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I LOVE this story!  (Maybe they can get Yellow Bellies to cave in that horrible cavern.  They are good at dancing after all and have gotten rocks to crack before and kill Sharpteeth.  :lol)

I love this Ducky story!  You should put it on Fanfiction.net.  It will be adored.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 31: On The Shores Of The Big Water

"Wake up sleepy head, rise and shine!" said Cyrest in good spirit as he woke up Ducky with a push of his beak. Ducky yawned and raised her head and looked dreary eyed at the cave opening. It was still dark, the sun was not even up yet. Ducky gave a tired groan and placed her head back down, trying to get back to sleep.

"Come on dear, it's time to get up" said her mother but Ducky hardly paid any attention to her.

"Get up Ducky, you need to be up and about to begin your training" said Cyrest. He sounded wide awake and excited.

"But mama it's early" said Ducky with her eyes still closed. "The Bright Circle has not even risen yet and I'm still sleepy I am......I am". Ducky began to drift back to sleep.

"Oh no you don't" said Cyrest and he lifted Ducky out of the nest and gave her a dunking in the spring. Ducky gave a wild cry as the cold water touched her body, she coughed and spluttered as she was placed on the ground. She was now wide awake.

"What was that for?" asked Ducky indignantly.

"You were falling back to sleep dear" said her mother from her sleeping spot. "So Cyrest had to wake you up properly" she chuckled.

"It is not funny" cried Ducky, indignantly at her mother's gist.

"Actually it was a bit funny" said Cyrest who had his hands over his mouth to stop himself laughing.

Ducky glared at them. "Well I am up" she said.

"You are indeed" said Sura "now you need your breakfast dear".

Ducky nodded "yes mama" she said and walked over to the ground star plant and began munching on it's leaves.

When she was done Cyrest mentioned her to follow him outside. "Ducky, Sura come here" he said. He stood on the ledge outside the cave where Ducky joined him and eventually Sura. A beautiful sight greeted their eyes. Hues of orange, red and yellow lay strewn across the morning sky, as they looked out to the horizon over The Big Water where the first light of dawn greeted the world. It was a simply breathtaking sight. The morning sun's rays swept over then, filling each of their hearts with warmth as they bathed in the golden sunlight of at sunrise.

Ducky gasped at the sheer beauty of this sunrise. She had never witnessed one quite like it. In the Great Valley the surrounding mountains usually prevented much light from entering until later and hence a beautiful sunrise was rare. But even then it would never match the beauty of a sunrise on the shores of the ocean, the water looked like an ocean of gold from where she stood. Sura smiled and lifted Ducky into her hands and they all watched the sunrise together, each wearing a smile on their face. A cool wind blew in from the sea bringing with it a salty air that made everyone feel for alive.

"It is beautiful" said Sura.

Yep yep yep" agreed Ducky.

Sura looked at Ducky and nuzzled her. She would not have this moment to be any other way then what it was. She broke off and looked at Cyrest "thank you" she said. Cyrest nodded.  

"I wish everyone else could see this I do I do" said Ducky.

"So do I dear" said Sura. She stroked Ducky's back. "You and Spike and the rest of my family are just like this beautiful sight dear" said Sura.

Ducky smiled at her before hugging her mother tightly. She would not trade this moment for anything.

"I will see you soon Sura, come Ducky we have some training to do" said Cyrest.

Ducky looked reluctant to be parted from her mother. "Aren't you coming mom?" she asked.

"No dear" replied her mother "I will be looking after Jane" Ducky looked down "but I promise that when I am strong enough I will come and watch you dear" said Sura before giving her a parting nuzzle and setting her on the ground. "I'll see you soon dear" she said.

Ducky nodded and turned to leave with Cyrest, her mother watched her go until she was out of sight, around the base of the cliff. She let out a breath and looked back out at the orange sun. She really missed her home, her family and the happy live that she once had before she had heard about the Trial. Sura sighed and walked back into the cave and settled herself down beside the nest. She watched Jane sleep. The hatchling reminded her of Ducky in everyway. She was almost identical to her and had a similar personality. "Except she only has an uncle as her family" thought Sura. It was sad that Jane would grow up without knowing her parents but Sura knew that she was in good hands. Sura laid back and watched the sun's continuous rise through the cave entrance.

Cyrest took Ducky over to the river and went to where it met the ocean and laid down on the sand, closely followed by Ducky.

"Ducky, this is where we will do the bulk of your training, by the fast water and in the Big Water" explained Cyrest. Ducky nodded although she felt a pang of worry when he said that she would be Swimming in the Big Water.

"Now then" continued Cyrest unabated "Let us begin our first lesson: smell" he looked at Ducky and asked if she could give him an explanation as to why smell is so important.

Ducky stuttered for a few seconds, apparently caught off guard by the question. but when she was finally able to speak she was not sure how to respond. Cyrest saw that she was having difficulty in answering his question so he gave her a helping hand. "What do Sharpteeth use their sense of smell for?" he asked.

"Oh they use their sniffers to find food" said Ducky.

"And food for them is other dinosaurs" said Cyrest. Ducky nodded. "You see Ducky you can use your sense of smell to find other creatures and say if you could not see it would allow you to know what is around you and hence give you a sense of direction" explained Cyrest.

"Oh" said Ducky in understanding.

"So we shall continue to work on improving your sense of smell. Your mother has already told me of what she did and that didn't work so I will try another way " said Cyrest. He got to his feet and walked over to a tree and pulled a tree sweet down and lay it beside Ducky.

He then told Ducky not to eat it but to sniff it. Ducky did as she was told. Cyrest then told her to describe what she had smelt.

Ducky thought this was a little pointless if she did not try using her sniffer in the water but she still described the sweetness that she smelt from the tree sweet. Cyrest nodded when she did that then went to the river and brought back some water from the river and asked her to repeat what he had asked before. When Ducky did that he brought back some water from the ocean in his cupped hands and told her to sniff it.

Ducky could smell distinctly the salt in the water and described it to Cyrest.

Cyrest was looking very pleased now. But Ducky was just confused. However Cyrest continued he left and returned with something different in his hands and instruct to Ducky to sniff it and describe what she smelt. He did it with tree stars, bark from a tree, grass, underwater green food, soil, different kinds of rocks and many other plants, he even made Ducky take a sniff of some nearby droppings which left Ducky feeling very repulsive and even more confused. The sniffing exercise continued throughout the day until the sun began to set.

By this this point Ducky was fed up with all these sniffing exercises. Her sniffer was sore from over sniffing and she was tired. She could not understand why she was not in the water and learning how to sniff there. She soon put the question to Cyrest. "Why are we doing this?" she asked in confusion.

"You'll see" said Cyrest in excitement "now sniff me" he said. Ducky groaned but complied with Cyrest request. But this time Cyrest did not ask for Ducky to describe his scent.  "Now close your eyes" he said.

Ducky closed her eyes. Cyrest then got up and walked behind a nearby tree once he settled he called out to Ducky "now Ducky see if you can find me using your sniffer".

Ducky felt dismayed "how am I going to find him now?" she thought. But nevertheless she took a deep sniff of the surrounding air. She recognised the smell of the river and the ocean, she could smell the grass, the trees and the tree sweets hanging from their branches. Ducky took an uncertain step forward and took another sniff. This time she could smell another scent that was the same as Cyrest. She realised that she had Cyrest's scent. She stepped forward a few paces, following the scent until she was standing next to the river, she walked across the river as it was not that deep and once she was on the other side she took another sniff of the air and followed the trail around a tree where the scent was very strong. Ducky walked forward and bumped into something. She fell to the ground and heard a loud laugh.

"You can open your eyes now Ducky" came Cyrest's voice.

Ducky opened her eyes and saw Cyrest standing in front of her with a smile on his face. "Well done Ducky" he said and gave her a tree sweet. "You managed to find me using your sniffer" he said.

Ducky gasped in amazement had she really just managed to find Cyrest using her sniffer. "Wow" was all she could say.

"I am proud of you and so will your mother when she hears and tomorrow you shall start using your sniffer underwater" said Cyrest in pride. "but now it's time we got back to the cave".

Ducky nodded but before she could take a step, she was scooped up into Cyrest's hands and he carried her back to the cave.

When they arrived Ducky announced her arrival with a happy cry "I did it mama I did it, I can use my sniffer now!" she said happily, jumping up and down in Cyrest's palm. Cyrest smiled at Ducky and told Sura about Ducky's success, she was overjoyed. Sura nuzzled her and licked with her tongue. "Oh Ducky, I'm so happy for you" she said. Jane was also really happy to see Ducky she cheered when she saw Ducky arrive.

Ducky may have been exhausted but she was also really pleased with herself. Now she felt more hope then she ever had before, she felt like she was standing back on the ledge in the morning when she was watching the sunrise with her mother and Cyrest. She would try her best from now on to master the wisdoms for the rest for her family and friends, she would not give up no matter what. However in the back of her mind, Ducky wondered how the rest of her friends were doing without her.

Well, next chapter done. Hope you like it.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This was a sweet chapter😊.  I do miss ocean sunrises.  I've lived in the mountainous Southwest for the last couple of years.  Sunrises are gorgeous out here and I love the region...but reading a chapter like that can make me homesick for the water😉.

Glad to see Ducky is strengthening her sense of smell.  Sensory compensation will help her a lot in a place where vision is pretty much useless.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Yeah Ocean sunrises are totally amazing. I see a lot more then I used to because I have moved to a coastal town and hence see the sea everyday.

Ducky will next be training the area of current navigation, but currents are not to be underestimated especially for a youngling. I know, I almost got swept away by a 9 knot current in knee dip water with fins on, while holding onto the rocks while Scuba Diving. If it had not been for my buddy then I would have been swept away.