The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As some of you know, I am a fan of the Professor Layton series.  As such, I am very excited about the new game, "Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask", coming out tomorrow for the 3DS.  It'll be available both in retail and download form.

For those that want to get an idea as to what the game is about, check out the trailer below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0AI_G41ygM

For me, tomorrow can't come soon enough. :)

See ya later! :D

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Ooooh, I didn't know about that one! I've played two of the games and I intend to play others, so it's nice to know there's another coming out

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awesome :) So is this still backwards compatible with e.g. my DS lite?

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
^ Sadly not this one Mumbling. Prof Layton and the Miracle Mask is the first one solely for 3DS. All the previous titles are for DS so you'll have no issues there.

Whilst I've been curious about the Layton series, I've never really dived into them. Not that I think they are not worth the time (coz apparently they are) but they just haven't been very high on my hitlist of games. I've played a demo of the Curious Village but that was about it. If I find one in a bargain bin I'd might consider picking a copy up.

I watched a video breakdown of the Miracle Mask and apparently the creators are extended the game with free d/lable puzzles that are going to span an entire year. I.e a new puzzle every day for a year. Not bad to extend the longevity of a game with free dlc I guess.  :D

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Oct 28 2012 on  02:06 PM
^ Sadly not this one Mumbling. Prof Layton and the Miracle Mask is the first one solely for 3DS. All the previous titles are for DS so you'll have no issues there.

Whilst I've been curious about the Layton series, I've never really dived into them. Not that I think they are not worth the time (coz apparently they are) but they just haven't been very high on my hitlist of games. I've played a demo of the Curious Village but that was about it. If I find one in a bargain bin I'd might consider picking a copy up.

I watched a video breakdown of the Miracle Mask and apparently the creators are extended the game with free d/lable puzzles that are going to span an entire year. I.e a new puzzle every day for a year. Not bad to extend the longevity of a game with free dlc I guess.  :D
Darn... I've already played through all the previous games of Layton ;p Quite sad Nintendo did not make it backwards compatible :/

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^To be honest, I'm not surprised.  I have been noticing quite the decrease in new DS titles in comparison to new 3DS titles.  I think Nintendo has pretty much stopped with the DS and are now fully focusing on the 3DS.  So yeah, no more DS stuff.  Sorry!

However, considering first impressions, I'm not surprised this is 3DS exclusive.  The amount of fluid animation in this game would be too much for the DS to handle.  The DS can only handle so much and this game goes well beyond it.

However, to me, the graphics are at the "uncanny valley" point for me.  It's better, but it's just not all that eye pleasing to me.

That being said, anyone who's played Professor Layton before should be quite familiar with this new game.  It is more focused on the touch screen then the previous games, but other than that, it's pretty much the same gameplay wise.

As for the story, it is pretty good so far.  Plenty of mystery and it'll definitely keep me engaged until the end.

So yeah, save for graphics, first impressions are good.  I'll be looking forward to all this game has to offer.  I've got plenty to enjoy on this one.

See ya later!