The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Quick Question: Fanfics based on RP's?

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is in the write place, if not feel free to move :)

Welp, im not exactly sure if it's safe. Probably just a yes or no question. There is this one RP on LiveJournal, and i've always thought it would be interesting to try making a fanfic about it, problem is: Im not sure if that's aloud. Here is the Link to the RP.

So, yay or nay? Take heed, i've never roleplayed in it before so it might be mature but im not sure. After the question is answered, i will take the link away if needed.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
You can do it but ask permission of all the players first.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Usually the only time you would need permission to turn an RP into a fanfic is if you did not create it. Since you didn't it would be smart to gain the players' permission before starting, otherwise you could be heading into a lot of trouble.

Otherwise, if you get their permission, then I say go for it :goodluck

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It would take place in the same place as the RP, but the story would all be started from scratch so there would be a whole new timeline, event and cast of characters. Although there's bound to be some that have roles in the story (Those from Kingdom Hearts, Drakengard and/or Final Fantasy for example.)
I wouldn't be copying the experience other players have had, just start a whole new story from scratch.

Ah well, probably wont end up doing the story but if i do decided to write it, it's always better to be safe then sorry, right? :)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Who created the setting?

If it is your setting and you are not using anyone else's characters, you can proceed.

If it is not your setting you need to obtain permission from the creator of the setting.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Serris,Oct 1 2009 on  10:20 PM
You can do it but ask permission of all the players first.
You'd only need permission of the creator and players who created characters you'll be using. Take my stories for example. When I wrote Card of Ten, which used characters from (at the time) every player of the Darwin's Soldiers RP, I had to ask everyone's permission. When I wrote Schroedginer's Prisoners, which only used some of Serris' characters and his setting, I only needed to ask permission from him.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Unless your talking about characters people have created. This RP Is a Multi-Fandom Asylum RPG which does not have any characters created by players. Atleast i dont think there is :p The Characters in the RP are all from various Books, TV shows, movies and games. Characters like Frodo from Lord of the Rings, Scar from Fullmetel Alchemist, Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean and Caim from Drakengard. All the characters from that RP are from various stuff like the things mentioned above. Heck there are even characters from anime shows i've never even watched :p

Alas, i am not the creator of the setting. It would probably be easier asking him/her if it's okay doing a fanfic based on the setting of the RP. like i said, most of the playable characters are from various media like movies, games and books. Still, if it's a bad idea i will stay away from making a fanfic based on the RP :p