The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

In the land before time

Amaranthine · 2536 · 162349

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
(OOC: FBS: Ohhh…I feel so terrible doing this to you, :bang but I had this whole next scene planned and partially typed out even before I posted my last entry. :oops I promise you, though, Ozzy and Strut will be back, and you’ll have plenty of time to meet with them. :))

Ozzy and Strut didn’t say a word. They just scrambled to their feet and took off in a flash back the way they came.

“…What just happened?” Guido, who had jumped back in surprise and frozen in a cringing position when the egg stealers had appeared, asked.

“Uh…that was Ozzy and Strut, the two egg stealers I met the other day,” said Pangaea, who was in a similar position to Guido, having done the same thing. “Sorry, Sparky,” he said, thinking that she must be disappointed that two of her favorite LBT characters had just run away. “I guess there is a downside to being one of the coolest dinosaurs out there. Though if it makes you feel any better, I think they would have run away even if you didn’t have those claws. They probably don’t want to be seen by anyone in the valley.”

“As for your question, well…therizinosaurs definitely didn’t evolve from ornithomimosaurs, but they are related. They’re both coelurosaurs, but therizinosaurs are maniraptorans; they’re closer to oviraptorosaurs, dromaeosaurs, troodontids, alvarezsaurs, and birds. Ornithomimosaurs, tyrannosaurs, and compsognathids are outside Maniraptora. I think therizinosaurs just evolved from some random basal maniraptoran.” He paused. “Do you follow me?”

Guido gawped. “I’m lost,” he said. “What are you talking about?”

“Hoo boy,” Pangaea sighed, “I’m going to have a lot of explaining to do…”

--------------------------------------------------

Ozzy and Strut continued running deep into the forest, yelping and whimpering in fear. Eventually they began to tire, and frantically hid behind a large tree. The two egg stealers sat with their backs against the trunk, hyperventilating.

“What…” Ozzy panted, “was that?”

“I dunno,” Strut responded. “It didn’t look or act like any leafeater or sharptooth I’ve ever seen.”

“Now there’s something I can agree with you on,” Ozzy muttered. “She acted like she was happy to see us!”

“Yeah, she said she’d always wanted to meet us. She even knew our names! It was like she knew us!”

“Well, I am certain that I have never seen that creature before!” Ozzy declared.

“Wait, do you remember what that Gooey guy told us?” Strut said, “that there were other creatures in the valley like him who knew all about us? Maybe he was telling the truth!”

Though he didn’t want to believe it, Ozzy had to admit that that sounded plausible. “Well, if that’s the case, then we’ll need to be extra careful looking for eggs around here,” he said.

“You know, he also told us to leave. He said the others would be mad at us if we came down here. Maybe we should have listened to him. Maybe we should go. I mean, I’d rather go back to the Land of Mists than be torn to bits, or eaten, or stomped, or slashed, or gored, or…”

Ozzy rolled his eyes as Strut prattled on. As he did so, his gaze fell upon the forest floor, and noticed a large, round purple fruit lying in the leaf litter near the foot of the tree. Ozzy’s desire to punish Strut for the tree star incident earlier had been temporarily smothered by his brief but fearful run-in with the strange long-clawed dinosaur, but now he felt his vengeful temper beginning to smolder again.

Quickly checking to make sure that Strut was still preoccupied with his own rambling, Ozzy leaned forward, stretched out his arm, and picked up the fruit. The rind was slightly soft; evidently the fruit had been sitting on the ground for some time. Perfect, Ozzy thought.

“Oh, Strut?” he said innocently, hiding the fruit behind his back as he turned to face his brother.

Strut, who appeared to have been on the verge of putting himself to sleep with his own blathering, snapped to attention. “Yes, Ozzy?”

“I almost forgot; I have something for you.”

“Really!? That’s so nice of you, Oz; you never give me presents!”

“So, do you want it?” Ozzy asked.

“Yeah! Gimme it!”

“With pleasure.”

SPLAT! Ozzy shoved the overripe melon into Strut’s face.

“There! Now we’re even!” Ozzy snapped.

“Hmm…not bad,” came Strut’s muffled voice from inside the melon.

“You’re not supposed to enjoy it!” Ozzy yelled, pulling the fruit off of Strut’s face and smashing its remains over his head. “Now come on, let’s go find some breakfast!”

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
((OOC: No problem!! It was awesome that I got to see them at all!))

Sparky watched as the two speedy dinos disappeared without even saying a word. Well, this sucks. her thoughts went before she hanged her head a bit. But Pangaea's right, she shouldn't take it too personally; she did predict that the two would run off, after all. And if they're staying in the Valley, she might have more encounters with them. With these thoughts, it didn't take long for her to smile, considering it an honor to have even been given such an opportunity, however brief it might've been. Met Ozzy and Strut. AWESOME!!! Next on the list is Thud, Screech, Red Claw, and Sierra. Though those might be a bit more difficult to come across....Hmmmm....

She looked back to Pangaea. "Yeah, I guess I'm not too surprised how that ended. And no worries, I'm following those dino-terms completely!" Though she took note that Guido doesn't seem to be so lucky with his adorable look of confusion. His adorable cluelessness made her feel better about everything!

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"Hello.  Anybody home?" Anna said out loud, makng her presence known, as the group approached the Swimmer nesting area.

"Yes, we're still here.  Hello, Ducky.  Did you have a good time swimming?" Mrs. Swimmer asked her daughter.

"Oh, yes I did," Ducky giggled.

"I'm glad to hear it.  What brings you here, and why is Anna carrying Cera?" Mrs. Swimmer asked in a surprised manner.

"Well, Cera's not feeling well, and I've heard of your knowledge of the valley's plants and what sicknesses they're used for," Anna replied as she gently set Cera down in front of Mrs. Swimmer.  Cera groaned n a sickly manner as she curled up on the ground.

"Do you know what's wrong?" Mrs. Swimmer asked.

"I think it's indigestion, and a nasty case at that, too," Anna sad.

"What does that word mean?" Mrs. Swimmer asked curiously.

"Oh!  I'm sorry, that's a human term.  She says she ate a lot of treesweets, and now she has really bad belly pain with a burning feeling, and she feels like she could lose her food.  She said it gets worse if she runs or walks quickly," Anna replied.

"Poor girl.  I do know exactly what will help.  Just stay put until I get back," Mrs. Swimmer instructed.

"I'll watch the little ones for ya," Anna offered.

"Thanks, dear.  Okay, I'll be back soon," Mrs. Swimmer replied before she took off.

"Please make it quick," Cera groaned again before Ducky approached her.

"I know exactly how it feels," Anna sympathized with her threehorn friend.

"That is why you should not eat so many treesweets at once, yep yep yep," Ducky added in a cautionary manner.

"Oh, shut up," Cera piped.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Claw turned around to face a newcomer, who was a human. Fastbiter didn't know that one, so he said:

"Hello, I am Claw. Who are you?"

"Hi, I'm Chomper" little sharptooth said with friendly smile, like Claw intent to get to know that new human.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Hey Claw and Chomper. Nice to meet both of you. My name is Von. I've been a member of the GOF for a few days now. Long story short, I got sucked into my computer and ended up here in the Great Valley."

Von then asked "Well, I already know who Chomper is, since he's my favorite Great Valley character, but who are you claw? Are you a human as well?"
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Yes. Yes, I am" Claw answered "Back at GOF I am known as Myrkin, but Claw will do just as well in this place."

"Er... What is computer, Von?" Chomper asked, not familiar with that word.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://thekingofdistruction.deviantart.com
Jasper was standing there silent as he never expected to see Chomper face to face before. He finally took a deep breath and said, "Hi you two. I'm Jasper, which is part of my initials and everyone calls me that anyway. It's nice to meet you Claw and Chomper. Hey Von you want me to explain what a computer is to Chomper or you want to do it yourself?"

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"I don't know how I'd even begin to explain what a computer is to Chomper. You can try if you want."
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Jasper took off his hat and scratched his head a bit not knowing what to say before he put his hat back on and finally said, "Well it's basically a machine that can do many tasks fairly quickly and if not easy. You can also learn a lot using a computer and you get information on what's happening with the outside world."

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Mim and Grandpa Longneck went out to eat some green leaves for themselves and bring some back for the other injured dinos who could not, or should not, move much.

Flapper was using a stick as a sort of crutch to get around himself.  Though at a slower speed then he was use to walking.

"At least it's a nice day." He said aloud, half to himself and half to some others nearby.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
The Utahraptor shrugged and headed off into the bushes where he ran into James.

James screamed and leapt to his feet and ran. After running a bit, he noticed that the Utahraptor was not giving chase and was instead staring at him.

"You're pretty strange for a Great Valley dinosaur," it said. It sounded like a male and it seemed to have a slight New Jersey accent.

"A talking Utahraptor!?" James shouted. Then again, he had turned into an Oviraptor.

The Utahraptor continued staring. "You get hit in the head or something?"

"No!" James shouted.

Unbeknownst to him, he was shouting very loudly behind a bush near Ducky, Anna and Cera.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Oh, I see," Chomper said "But how thic... computer do it? How it communicate with others? Does it shout very loud?"

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Jasper said to Chomper, "Nope. It doesn't shout it sends messages quickly and quietly. I will say it took a while for them to make all of that happen." Jasper then took off his hat and straighten out his hair a bit and then put his hat back on his head.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Von wanted to talk about something else. "So you were teaching Claw here how to speak sharptooth? That sounds like fun! Maybe all three of us could try to learn some. I'm sure your a good teacher!"
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Jasper

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Jasper said to Von, "Not for me dude. I have a headache from work, which is the reason why I didn't get home until yesterday. Learning anything new right now will just be too much for me. My job is good, but the hours are not good though."

Redtooth101

• Spike
    • View Profile
Daniel flapped hi wing to fly and and tried to land on Sparky's head but due to his inexperience he somehow at the last second manage to flip and while he landed on he head he landed on his back rather than his feet. "From you reaction I take it you really like Strut and Ozzy?"

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
If it had been physically possible, Rick would've been shaking with dread. Still being able to hear Zaines words in his ears to Longtail. He looked back between Longtail and Zaine who was now conversing with Rob, and silently sighed as he realized what he was going to have to do, despite knowing Longtail had the ability to seriously hurt or even kill him.  Rick however stood his ground and looked Longtail straight in the eye, and in the silence of the moment, Rick could swear he heard a part of Longtail snap.

Cyrix for his part as well, was shocked into silence. His thoughts were running a mile a minute. 'It... it can't be possible! No one in this valley knows about Longtail's linage... and even the fact that Zaine found out was an accident.... but Rob... he spoke so calmly... and sounded absolutely certain of what he said... and it was all true... so that means he knows... and if he knows, then I have no choice...' Cyrix then quietly sighed as he stepped over to stand in front of Rob. Then with a momentary flush of embarrassment on his face Cyrix bowed down to Rob as he spoke. "Rob, I am sorry for what I said. I may be old, but even I know when to show respect to those wiser than me."

Before he could move or speak to try and clam Longtail down the young flyer leapt forward with a burst of astonishing speed and bit down hard enough on Ricks neck to draw blood and used the talons on his feet and the claws on his wings to try and create as many wounds as possible, all the while screeching aloud, "YOU BETRAYED ME!!!" over and over again.

Rick at that moment was torn between shock from being attacked and anger that it was someone he knew so well that was doing it. He reared back onto his hind legs and gave a pained cry as he lost his footing and crashed to the ground still feeling Longtail shredding and tearing at his neck.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Well, you don't have to if you don't want to, Jasper. I just think it would be a helpful skill in this place."

Von then turned back to Chomper and asked "So, how do you say hello again?

(OOC if you want Myrken, You can control my character and make him try to learn some sharptooth, just so we won't have to have to make so many short posts back and forth to eachother.)
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Chomper smiled and repeated that sound, which was sharptooth word for 'hello', "Hello"

"Hellooo" Claw said, trying to imitate Chomper as best as he could.

Von listened to Chomper and Claw and then he roared, "Hello"

"You are doing good, guys," little sharptooth praised them, then he explained how they should introduce themselves.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Flapper went over to help gather some green food, not able to carry but he could help to gather some.  Some of what he did was use his stick/ makeshift crutch to spear some leaves on the ground then try to get the leaf so he'd not need to bend down and then put it on the pile of gathered leaves.