The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

If The Land Before Time came out in 3D

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Like everybody else has said, I would go just to see the original in theaters. I was born after the first movie was made so I never got the pleasure of seeing it in theaters, so to get that opportunity would be awesome. Of course, such thing will most likely never happen, but still the thought of it is nice.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I wonder the opposite; why everyone feels the need to knock 3D.

Here, let me spell it out.

1. It makes me nauseous watching it.

2. I don't like the movie being shoved right into my face.    

3. I hate those stupid 3d glasses.

4. It is more expensive.  A regular ticket is 7 dollars.  A 3d movie ticket is about 12 dollars.

5. It adds ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the story.  I go to the movies to watch a story, not sit through two hours of eye candy slapped on top of a crappy plot.  That is why I thought Avatar sucked.  

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't see why not, considering all of you probably have already seen this movie more then 20 times now. I would prefer 3d in a theater anyway, so I don't see all the crap around to distract me from the film. Seems like every movie I watch, there's always that snotty dude or kid that brings their cell phone to the show to text, which makes the screen incredibly bright and disruptive. There's always this biased, accepted opinion that 3d is just a gimmick because it costs more money, which I find to be incredibly naive. Much can be said the same for surround sound and HD projection. If you chose to watch something that is, admittedly, graphical eye candy without any substance in 2d when 3d is clearly available, then you must be kidding yourself.

Edit: Let me also say that I misunderstood the title of this thread as "What if land before time came out in CG" for a few seconds, which will give me nightmares for now on.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: Campion1,Jul 26 2010 on  09:45 PM
There's always this biased, accepted opinion that 3d is just a gimmick because it costs more money, which I find to be incredibly naive.
Uh, excuse me? No one on here said that 3D is a gimmick because it costs more than a 2D movie. We said that it's a gimmick because it doesn't help to improve a movie in anyway. Reread peoples' posts and you'll see that no one said anything of the sort.

EDIT: And yeah, I do think it's stupid to pay to see a 3D movie. You're throwing away 5-7 extra dollars on one of these films when you can see the same thing in 2D for a much cheaper price.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Uh, excuse me? No one on here said that 3D is a gimmick because it costs more than a 2D movie. Reread peoples' posts and you'll see that no one said anything of the sort.
I was not talking about all the members on this site, but mostly public opinion period. I guess I kinda went off on a rant.
We said that it's a gimmick because it doesn't help to improve a movie in anyway.
It doesn't improve the movie, it can help immerse you into it. Again, that depends on how it's used. It could look natural or completely ridiculous.
EDIT: And yeah, I do think it's stupid to pay to see a 3D movie. You're throwing away 5-7 extra dollars on one of these films when you can see the same thing in 2D for a much cheaper price.
Depends on the film. Imagine a documentary in 3d compared a pixar 3d film.

I'm not saying all films would look good in 3d, I'm just saying it can fit for some. I originally saw avatar in average cheap theater and I was happy with it (although I would notice how bad it was later) but I wouldn't mind seeing it again in 3d. I guess I just like 3d more then others

Absolutely no offense intended to you man, I'm sorry if you felt that way

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Dude why would you have offended me? I mean if you like 3D, that's fine. I just don't. Truthfully it makes me sick. I already don't have the greatest vision in the world, seeing as how I'm nearsighted. I saw Avatar in 3D with my friend and his dad and it gave me a headache. As they drove me home I kept rubbing my eyes the whole way.

Look I'm sorry if I sounded peeved. You didn't offend me in anyway. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I mean if you like 3D, that's fine. I just don't. Truthfully it makes me sick. I already don't have the greatest vision in the world, seeing as how I'm nearsighted. I saw Avatar in 3D with my friend and his dad and it gave me a headache. As they drove me home I kept rubbing my eyes the whole way.
I'm actually nearsighted as well. I usually have to bring my glasses to a theater, otherwise I won't be able to tell whats going on on screen very well. But even then, it starts to irritate my eyes after a while from how bright the screen is in the dark. I kinda prefer watching movies at home, where I can at least have some light in the background.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Better immerse myself in the film through 3D? Sorry, but I don't need the visual help if I like what I'm seeing.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

wagman

• Ruby
    • View Profile
My little cousin just watch the first film a while back, and starting crying cause the Sharptooth scared her.

Now image how all little kids would react to seeing a sharptooth in 3d.

and image how your gonna feel when your watching Littlefoot's mom dying in 3d.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: wagman,Aug 19 2010 on  06:10 PM
My little cousin just watch the first film a while back, and starting crying cause the Sharptooth scared her.

Now image how all little kids would react to seeing a sharptooth in 3d.

and image how your gonna feel when your watching Littlefoot's mom dying in 3d.
It really depends on the type of kid. Not all kids are going to be completely terrified of Sharptooth. I first saw Land Before Time when I was about three or four and I wasn't terrified of Sharptooth at all. Just how old is your cousin?

I don't really see how 3D would make Littlefoot's mom's death any sadder than it already is.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm a traditional guy but It still doesn't matter to me if its 3d or not. As long as I don't have to put on those 3d glasses...

Plus, I'm not sure certain characters would look that appealing in a third dimension. Anyone that has played the PS games would pretty much get an idea of how they would look.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've already explained why I personally hate 3D and I think the reasons I gave are perfectly legitimate.

Let's see...

It makes me sick, I hate the glasses, it is more expensive, I hate the odd feeling of having everything pushed into my face... Those sound like legit reasons to me.
I don't think Land Before Time needs 3d.  3d is pointless.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Just like Frank Oz said when asked if he would appear in The Power of the Dark Crystal: Why?

I honestly do not see the hype of 3D Movies.. Although im currently enjoying Clash of the Titans and sometimes forget that it was 3D as well.. :p But still, I think 3D Is supposed to be something to enjoy at Parks (Universal, Walt Disney World, etc..)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
As other people said, 3D is just too gimicky. I find the 2D animation so much more beautiful and expressive than any 3D animation could hope to achieve.

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://wahyawolf.deviantart.com
I opt out of 3D since it usually makes me feel a little sick to watch an entire movie that way. So, I don't think I would see it in 3D even if they ever considered it. In the same note with what's "cool" today, I much prefer traditional hand drawn animation to cgi. Since "The Princess & the Frog" there have been no more traditional animated projects. This really upsets me...perhaps more are in the works? Now don't get me wrong, ANY movie can be great...it's the STORY and the CHARACTERS that should take top priority. I LOVE some of Pixar's works, despite the cgi medium. I saw Toy Story 3 last summer, loved it. The type of animation doesn't matter as much as the story...but, I still feel there is something very special that traditional animation has that cgi just can't match up with. There's more of a personal connection between the artist, for one...and there's just something about the emotion in hand drawn that cgi has yet been able to get right. LBT or any of the "classics" in cgi would just NOT feel the same...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd guess many 3d movies are very gimicky and have stuff come at the audience instead of not drawing attention to itself and having it be a natural part of the movie, maybe even in a way you may not notice at first.