The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My art work

Ptyra · 332 · 66334

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I actually like the first one a lot better.  :lol

Although you have given me the impetus to go back and revise an older pic of Pterano I have, I'll give you that. I think I see how I can fix a foot problem I have with him.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I really like both pictures, but there’s definitely a marked improvement in the second one, especially in the head and limbs. Personally, I think that in the first picture, Ptyra’s pose makes her look more like she’s literally “defying gravity”, whereas in the second one she looks like she’s about to mischievously swoop down on someone. :lol

Personally, I don’t really like the color of Ptyra’s neck in the second picture: in my opinion, it’s way too pale compared with her head and body. If I recall correctly, you changed the color of Ptyra’s neck and underside so that her color scheme would share characteristics with Ada’s as well as Pterano’s. However, I think Ptyra would look better with a browner or orangier neck (perhaps you could change her neck ruff to the same color as Ada’s). You could probably leave her underside as is; while in Pterano’s case the neck and belly are the same color, both Petrie and his mother have different colors for each. Also, while I might have mentioned this previously, I think that Ptyra’s hands and feet look strange without claws on them. (Forgive me if I’m being too intrusive; if you're happy with Ptyra's look as it is, you can ignore my suggestions for further experimentation.)

As for the earlier picture of Pterano and Ada, I agree with you about Pterano’s body “disappearing” behind Ada’s arm, and the egg being hard to see. It also looks as though Ada has only two (unusually long) fingers on her right hand, and while I love the lighting at the left of the image indicating the entrance to the cave, the fact that there’s no distinct wall or ceiling causes the characters to appear as if they are “floating” in front of a rocky background. However, I really like Pterano’s sleeping position with the egg, and, as usual, your character expressions are excellent. :DD

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
At one point, I did consider making Ptyra's ruff the same color as Ada's, however, it ended up looking really odd and "drab" compared to the rest of her body. I also, now that I've really looked at it, agree on her belly color looking too pale for the rest of her body. I tested the same picture with a color that was somewhere between Pterano's and Ada's.

I liked your input. SonicBoom actually said she looked like she was about to dive at someone XD . My goal with the most recent picture was to match up with the final part of Wicked's "Defying Gravity".
"And nobody (In all of Oz, no wizard that there is or was) is ever gonna bring me down".

I also like to think of this as a sudden burst of hubris. Stand aside, Odysseus, this girl's got more pride than even YOU can handle =P

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
*double post*
This one is a sketch so far, but I love it so much, I'm going to show off the first version!

That's Crash on Ptyra's back. Heh. I like my little note of the waterfall.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 That skecth is cute, I like the expression on both characters, I just hope Ptyra will be careful while flying :smile .

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like both of your drawings.   Your chars look cute in the 2 pictures.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, if her dad can fly with a much smaller youngster on her back, I'm sure Ptyra will do just fine.
Now IN COLOR

I supremely changed the background, since the trees and foliage was a pain to draw...so was the waterfall.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, how do you do these so fast?! :blink:

Definite improvement with the revised image. At first I thought the new belly color looked a little "peachy" (though still better than the previous version), but it's growing on me.

And the new picture is awesome. :smile (Too bad about the background. I thought the one in the sketch was really good. :yes) I think you did an especially great job on Ptyra’s head and neck, and I like the way she’s looking back out the corner of her eye at Crash. Crash himself is quite nicely done overall, though his tail is overlapping Ptyra’s wing in a way that’s probably impossible, and his hands and feet have a noticeable lack of digits.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Naww. :o Too bad the colored pic only has a simple background. I really liked the sketch. ^_^

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, I like the sketch better too.
The lack of digits on Crash escaped me. Thanks for the spot!

And now, for my next one. I checked out a how-to-draw-dragons book from my school library because I figured that a lot of elements of dragons can be applied to drawing dinosaurs/pterosaurs...in my case. My idea proved right. After sketching some limbs according to the book, I gave what I learned a shot.

I like doing cliffs for some reason O_O . I'm really happy with how Pterano turned out though. I stretched him to be taller than in the original picture, though.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
That's very good.  
There is a lot of improvement from your eary pictures.
Keep up the good work.  
Can't wait to see more.:)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awesome work Ptyra! :D I love how well you can draw flyers :)

I don't want to bug you, but why not submit them into the lbtfanclub gallery on deviantart? You'd get some more views + comments that way :D

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I really, REALLY hate to say this, but in my opinion, compared to your other recent pieces, this isn’t your best work. Namely, the creases on Pterano’s legs, arms, and neck (meant to indicate flexion and/or musculature?) cause those appendages to look as if they are twisted at odd angles. There’s also his beak, which looks more like the shortened, rounded versions you were drawing at the beginning of the month.

I will say that Pterano’s wings, hands and feet look pretty good (though I’m not so sure about those flexion wrinkles on the tops of his fingers), but personally, I don’t think the new style looks so good for him. (I thought your limb joints looked just fine before, and Pterano’s upper arms look really strange to me in this picture.) Again, just my thoughts.

(As an aside, the treeline in the distance seems to blur with the side of the cliff, and is even translucent in some areas.)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
They were just tests of a different style, but I see your points. I've actually been having some trouble with drawing them in the new style as of late anyway, so I think I'll stop using it. I considered showing to others from my test, but I decided not to.

In the meantime, here's a piece from before my new style. It's supposed to be like a "dream piece".

I'm somewhat pleased with it, but there are definitely some areas that need work...like making it look a little bit more like a dream/fantasy.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I’d say the cloudy border around the image definitely gives it a dreamlike quality (I sort of got that feeling when I first looked at it even before I noticed your description). Overall I think the picture is pretty good. :yes Pterano and Ada’s poses and expressions (needless to say) are excellent, and Pterano’s handsóboth the one holding Ada’s and the one around her shoulderólook fantastic.

Maybe it’s just the angle of her head, but Ada’s beak does look a little strange; very deep towards the base and sort of downward-slanted. Also, I think the inside of Pterano’s right wing membrane is miscolored brown when it should be orange, and his toes, I must say (especially on his left foot), look uncharacteristically hoof-like.

I didn’t even notice little Ptyra in that picture at first, but even though she’s small, she’s surprisingly detailed, and quite cute in my opinion. :DD Kind of a haphazard choice of blanket she has, though; Pterano and Ada might have to hold that position (Pterano at least can’t move too much) if they don’t want to deprive her of her covers. :lol

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Originally, I wasn't planning on including that part of the wing membrane in the picture, so it looked like his arm was against his body. But now that I think about it, I don't think he'd really be capable of doing such a thing.

The only issue I have personally with this one is the way that Ada's wings are folded and that I accidentally left the egg hidden DX ! And it looked so great too!

I like my sunrise, though.

And another sketch, of which I don't know when it will be colored. Includes Petrie's father!

Gosh, I decided on just putting ten eggs in the nest, since gosh knows how many siblings Petrie has in Great Day of the Fliers XD !

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Great pictures.  Thanks for sharing them here.  I hope you plan on drawing and coloring in the future.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ada’s wings look fine to me (though her right hand looks sort of misshapen :blink:), and I think that both her and Pterano’s facesóexpression-wiseóare very well done. However, there seems to be a blank space between Pterano’s claw and Ada’s chin (unless that’s supposed to be one of his claws).

The sunrise colors are nice, but I think the sun itself would look better if you made the whole thing look like it was glowing, rather than just having a corona around it.

The second picture is incredible. :DD Ptyra, in particular, looks fantastic, and I love how you drew Pterano with his hands on her shoulders (judging by the caption, to help her contain her excitement :lol). I’m also awed by how all of the characters have different expressions, yet they all convey emotions appropriate to the atmosphere of the scene.

I will say that Petrie’s mother’s hands look a little too “mittenlike”, and her crest is longer and more crooked than it should be. Ptyra’s left arm also looks kind of jointless, and her feet are rather asymmetrical (though her left foot looks great).

By the way, Petrie had eight siblings in LBT XII. (For the record, he had five in the original movie, and four in the seventh.) Also, my opinion for if and when you color this piece in: just in case you weren’t planning this already, I think it would look great if you used the same sort of color palette for the background (particularly the sky) as that of the wasteland scenes in the first LBT.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Both pictures are great. =)
I'm not sure why, but some sketches look much better than the finished colored picture.