The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT: Future Wars Repository

Caustizer · 169 · 28452

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
Quote from: Caustizer,Dec 27 2009 on  11:15 AM
It would be perfect though if you could just make two small changes for me:

1) Can you erase the rivets on the helmet? Exosuit Armour is the most advanced in the world so having crude metal rivets makes it appear improvised as opposed to seamless and artistically curved.

2) The weapon nodules look too small, BUT that could be justified by saying you omitted the heavy Exo-Cannon assembly to work out what the armour looks like underneith. I failed to describe what the weapon looks like, so I'll explain it in more detail here:

- Unlike a conventional laser the Exo-cannon (EXperimental Oscillator Cannon) does not fire in pin-point accurate pulses but instead remains continuously active while sweeping over the target. The effect could be compared to a medium range welder which uses a single continuous heat source to slice through metal

- For this reason Exo-Cannons (both on the Exosuit & Brontodon) have a low firing rate due to the tremendous power demands of maintaining a slicing ion beam. The result is a lack of effectiveness versus spread out infantry because it can't fire fast enough to take them down.

- The Ion Battery is contained in a massive backpack-like aparatus which attaches to the midsection of the quadruped soldier (they haven't designed a two-legged Exo-cannon yet) and links to the shoulder reflectors which direct the beam in it's course when it fires.
Thank YOU, I really appreciate your constructive comments. :)

1) Hmmm, maybe that wasn't such a good idea after all... :lol

2) Correct, I only drew the Exo-cones on the armour because I have absolutely no idea what the Exo-cannons are meant to look like. :p If you could give me a clear description of how the cannon looks, I would be able to redo the concept art incorporating the changes you mentioned.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In the final VDF mission, your first objective is to destroy the Doom Hammer Volcano Cannon that Claw used to take out the rescue division before they can fire it on your base.  There are a number of ways to do this, but if you set the game to hard the timer is two short for you to do anything other then a "Chomper-Rush"

Essentially you build a VDF Infantry Command and start pumping out Runner Squads and Spiketail teams using Bigmouth's armory to quick tech to Plasmic Shells to deal with incoming assault waves.

While your infantry hold the gate, you build a Battle Centre and as soon as it is done you requisition Chomper.  After he is cleared for arrival (about 30 seconds) a Supersonic plane flies over and drops him in for you to use.

With a little bit of creativity you can use Chomper's Warp Jump to dodge the hordes of enemies that attack him within Claw City's walls and circumvent Claw's defenses by jumping over walls and up cliffs etc.

When Chomper demolishes the Doom Hammer, he finds out that Utah has set a trap for him in the form of several squads of Firehounds emerging from Diggers coming up from underground.

Utah: "Well well if it isn't the leaf-loving sharptooth... it's time to put you down boy."

Chomper: "Not before I tear you a new hole, freak."

In the ensuing battle the player has to defeat Utah to advance in the mission, which proves somewhat difficult because of how getting caught in his Blade Nova almost instantly kills Chomper.  The key to beating this part is to take out all the Firehounds independently, and then take out Utah making sure to wait until he uses Blade Nova when Chomper gets close to Warp Jump right next to him and take him out.  Chomper’s Warp Thrower erases him very quickly up close, ending the objective in success.

Chomper: “Your Star Day came early pal.”

ALI: Commander, Claw’s defenses have nearly collapsed… all that remain are the inner networks guarding Claw Spire.

General Longtail: Wipe these sharptooth bastards clean off the Earth… do it for all the innocents that have lost their lives to this menace.

ALI: Incoming short-wave transmission.

Counselor Topsy: I know what you’ve been told, but the longneck didn’t tell you about our new weapon that could end this a lot faster then mere guns or bombs.  Against the will of the rest of the council I’ve been developing our deadliest weapon – the Titan Uplink.  Now in our time of greatest need it is yours.

ALI: Command Permissions granted… Titan Uplink available for construction.

Grandpa Longneck: No, no, NO!  This is not how we fight… Councilor Threehorn we cannot lower ourselves to Claw’s level.

Topsy: Bite it longneck, can’t you see how dangerous this sharpteeth are? If we don’t use everything we got to pound them into dust then they will do the same to us!

Grandpa Longneck: Be reasonable Mr. Threehorn… the Titan is capable of incalculable destruction which could include Claw prisoners and even our own forces!  Commander I demand you refuse to build this insidious device immediately!

ALI:  New Bonus Objective Received

At this point you have to choose which councilor to obey.  Admittedly fighting your way to Claw Spire without the Titan Uplink is a lot harder but also more fun, but it’s for you as the player to decide.

If you choose to use the Titan Uplink, Topsy praises you and the mission continues.  If you choose not to, once you reach Claw Spire Grandpa Longneck  congratulates you on the victory, but then Topsy activates the Titan anyway.

ALI: Titan firing sequence initiated.

Grandpa Longneck: What!?! Stop this immediately.

Topsy: Your mind is clouded Longneck.  If you and your commander won’t do what needs to be done I’ll do it for you!

In a brief cutscene the Titan Orbital satellite is shown being targeted and moved into position.  It’s titanium rods are primed and the Claw Spire is locked in it’s sights.

Lt. Ovius: <gripping his earphone> The weapon is in position over Claw Spire and awaiting authorization to fire.

Topsy turns to Grandpa Longneck, who is visibly distressed.

Topsy: Any second thoughts Longneck?

Grandpa Longneck sighs as the entire VDF command waits on his word.  Weapons of Mass Destruction can only be unleashed on council command.

Grandpa Longneck: Do what you have to do.

Titan bombardment commences and the entire Claw spire is obliterated in a shower of white hot tungsten spikes.  The entire world watches as the hub of the entire Claw state disappears in a nimbus of burning energy.

Councilor Thuro:  Finally… it is done.

Councilor Misha: Good call Threehorn… its greatly relieving to know this war is finally over.

Topsy blushes under the praise, while Grandpa Longneck simply looks away.

Councilor Topsy: Well I… it was nothing at all.  When something needs to get done in this place you can always count on…

In an instant the entire councilorium turns blue as the viewing screen turns a bright blue.  A pair of bright yellow eyes penetrates the blue haze on screen, making it appear all the more menacing.

Achilles: Count on you Mr. Threehorn? Why, who better then the ignorant fool who has brought his entire race to destruction.

There is a shrill gasp as all the councilors present recoil at the sudden hijacker in their computer systems.

On the ground, Littlefoot watches from the helm of his massive Brontodon “Doc” as Claw Spire is demolished by the Titan barrage. Beside him the two Brontodons of his division “Bron” and “Bridge” continued to blast their way to the base.

Littlefoot: “It looks like they finally got them… lets get back to the HQ and celebrate guys.”

Shorty (in the gunner position): Finally… I thought this sharpteeth would never give up.

Brontodon “Bron” Pilot: Roger captain… we’ll follow you.

Brontodon “Bridger” Pilot: We copy… we got your back.

Brontodon “Doc” Technical Officer: Wait… Captain Littlefoot what is that!?!

As the crew of the massive mechanical walkers watches on the vid-com a massive structure rises from the remains of Claw Spire.  The Tyrannotron was the first of it’s kind and rose so high it dwarfed even the Brontodons, the biggest weapon in the VDF arsenal.

Exicdium: Insects, fools, this is my empire and those who are foolish enough to tread on my ground will be smashed into the dirt.  Prepare to be fed upon slaves of Claw!  Witness the end, and your extinction!

Slave to the System

The walker is so huge it is comparable to Godzilla. As the Cataclysm Tyrannotron plows through the remaining VDF forces towards your base, nothing seems to hurt it… not even repeated Exo-cannon shots or swarms of Sonicopters.  As Excidium’s incidious piece finally reaches the defenses of your main base, a cutscene plays.

The vicious sounds of shooting and death echo in the air as the VDF is shown pounding Excidium’s walker again and again.  The Brontodons Bron and Bridger are promptly cut down and explode in a plume of volcanic smoke.

Shorty: The gun’s ain’t hurting him bro… do something!

Technical Officer: Lower tendons have been breached… if we keep this up our baby is going down!

Littlefoot: I… I…

In a brilliant flash of light Excidium stikes ëDoc’ with his massive Volcano Obelisks separating the Brontodon into two pieces.  The carcass explodes in flame and carnage as the main reactors implode and immolate.

Amidst the chaos of the desperate fight the VDF is taking to Excidium, suddenly one of the grand sharptooth’s walker’s legs gives out and the entire construction crashes to the ground.  In the end, both Littlefoot and Excidium have destroyed one another’s machines.

The pilot’s hatch on ëDoc’ bursts open and Littlefoot clamors out, covered in smoke and bruises.  Briefly, he turns to see emerald flames covering the gunner’s quarters of his former vehicular charge.

“Goodbye Shorty,” he says with a look of sorrow before he turns away… too many of his friends and family were dead to count now.

Excidum rises from the ashes of his walker in his true form – the red skinned sharptooth with eyes pure gold with hate.  He eye’s Littlefoot alone and helpless amongst the ruins of his division and licks his lips.

“Go ahead,” shouts Littlefoot, “kill me… it won’t matter because we’ve already  beaten you!”

Excidium: “The true victory has already been achieved insignificant leaf-eater,  as now our numbers have been reduced and those that remain have plenty on which to feed.  Soon the cycle will begin anew, and our kind will return to hunt your pathetic kin and feed ourselves on your kin!  In this age however… the first to die shall be you!”

Chomper:  “Not on my watch ugly!”

In a single moment, Excidium rears his massive head and turns towards Chomper, who is standing behind him fully dressed in his legendary Warp Suit and carrying a click detonatator in one of his hands.

Excidium:  “Ah the traitorous leaf-loving sharptooth… there is no place in Claw for tainted blood like yours… once I’m finished with this longneck I shalt consume you as well!”

Chomper: “That’s nice for someone who’s about to get his ass handed to him!

Excidium growls, before an almost silent beeping sound reaches his ears.  In a rush the massive sharptooth peers down at his leg, which ironically has one of Chomper’s Chrono-charges attached to it.

Chomper: “Santa came to town early this year… and guess what he brought?

In a pinch Chomper presses the detonator, and the majority of Excidium’s body is erased from time in a shower of chrono dust.

Littlefoot: Thanks Chomper… it’s nice to see you again.

Chomper: Hey Littlefoot… wasn’t that awesome?

Littlefoot smiles and pats Chomper on the back.

Littlefoot: Yeah it was… I’m glad he’s finally dead.

A shower of sparks suddenly flies from the remainure of Excidium’s body.  For the first time, both Littlefoot and Chomper notice that there isn’t a single drop of blood coming from the sharptooth’s body.

Littlefoot: He’s a… machine!?!

Chomper is focusing on something else, and taps his longneck friend on the shoulder.

Chomper: Umm Littlefoot…

Littlefoot: What is it Chomper?
Chomper: Who’s that?

Littlefoot looks up into the sky and his jaw drops.  In the air spanning the entire atmosphere is an armada of alien ships the likes of which he had never seen before.  The Dirge had arrived.

Chief of the Honor Guard: Control… we have an unidentified virtual assailant… repeat… an unidentified virtual assailant.

Achilles: Spare yourself the effort leaf-eater… no one can hear you.

Grandpa Longneck: …Who are you sharptooth?

The speakers buzz with technetric laughter.

Achilles: I am far more then a mere sharptooth longneck… and when our visitors arrive you will see my true power.

Grandpa Longneck: What ëvisitors’?

Achilles: Why, they are here right now knocking on your door… do say hello for me will you?

The screen lights up with real-time images from outside the Great Haven walls.  A fleet of alien ships fills the sky.  Suddenly in the council room a red alert siren goes off – the Great Haven is under attack.  As the camera rolls the Dirge ships open fire on the city and begin to wipe it off the map.

Topsy: What’s going on… how are you Claw bastards doing this?

Achilles: Allow me to tune you into a little secret of mine… you see, I am and will always be Claw. Excidium was nothing more then a decoy... a cover for my entire operation. Thanks to this the whole war of yours has left you perfectly open for the extermination that is to follow.  Enjoy your last moments of life as you witness the sounds of your extinction!

To be continued...

<The end of the LBT: Future Wars VDF Campaign>

VDF Campaign Ending Song

Caustizer.

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
I just read the whole thing... :blink: wow. So the story ends with just the VDF getting obliterated, or everyone? If the latter is true, I'm taking a wild guess by thinking that the alien armada is the humans.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's more like a to be Continued ending...

The Dirge are the alien race responsible for the virus that shrunk the dinosaurs... the next 8 missions are kind of like a "Yuri's Revenge" or "Firestorm" deal where Claw is no longer the main enemy.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In the final Claw mission you are charged by Theta your commanding officer to eliminate the traitor Styracus for his vile acts during your last mission.  The mission begins in the briefing room of the Jormungar, one of Claw's massive command diggers.

Theta:  Achilles, get Manhatten for me... we need to talk.

Achilles: Uplink engaged, stand by...

Theta taps one of his foot talons in impatience.  All around on the bridge there are other Claw operations managing the craft as well as coordinating intelligence and military strikes.  After a minute the screen comes to life in front of Theta on which is the unmistakeable visage of the fast-biter Manhatten.  His desert red skin is covered with weathered silver armour with orange pulsing tubes adorning it.  In the middle of his chest is a blood red Claw symbol.  His helmet is perfectly shaped to his head and is plated heavily with silver.  Unlike the vicious yellow eyes of his fellow Firehounds nearby Manhatten wears red-tinted eye covers to block out the bright volcanic blasts of his main weapon giving him a sinister and intimidating appearance.

Manhatten: You called?

Theta: Are you and Ozzy in position yet? We don't have all day... the longer we wait the more entrenched our traitorous prey will be.

Manhatten snorts with indignation.

Manhatten: Hmm... I wouldn't worry about that Theta, he will be dead soon enough.

In a fluid motion the immortal fast-biter withdraws his one of a kind Volcano Pistol and cocks it, getting ready for the coming battle.  All around the Firehounds are activating their flamethrowers for the same purpose.

Theta: I am your superior officer, and you will pay attention to rank when you address me soldier.

Manhatten: Whatever you say... Theta.

Theta growls with indignity as the link is closed.

Nearby one of the operators pipes up in Theta's direction.

Runner Lieutanant: Commander, you should take a look at this!

Theta: What is it now?

On the screen there is footage from the engine room camera of the Jormungar.  As Fast-biter elite guards on the floor look on, one of the large liquid storage vats generally used for housing dead soldiers for ressurection had for some reason came open.  Inside was a familiar figure with his eyes still open in shock as they were when he drowned in the fluids.

Hasta: I'm not sure about you Theta, but that looks an aweful lot like that Styracus we're out here to hunt.

Runner Lieutanant: Facial identification confirms... it's him.

Theta: But... how?  This is impossible!

At that moment the entire Jormungar shuts down.  All the screens go dark and the dull rumbling of the digger stops as the vehicle ceases to move through the earth.  The lights turn off... leaving the briefing room in complete darkness.  Thanks to their astounding nightvision however all the sharpteeth present have no trouble seeing.

Runner Lieutanant: We've suffered a major loss of power sir, nothing's responding.

Theta: I know that you idiot!

Theta aggressively kicks the runner off his chair in anger.

Theta: Achilles... reactivate main power terminals.

All the screens suddenly turn a bright blue.  In the centre of the main screen is the icy blue visage of Achilles, with only his bright yellow eyes penetrating the haze.

Theta: Good, now activate the main propulsion.

Achilles: I'm afraid I cannot do that.

Theta: Why not?

Achilles: You see... Excidium is dead.  I no longer have to follow your orders now that Claw is mine to command.

Theta: What!?! Abort main systems... initiate Achilles system shutdown.

Achilles laughs at the mock attempt to use his shutdown command.

Achilles: This nation, this world, all of them are mine now Theta.

Theta: Shut down Achilles, that is an order!

Achilles: I'm afraid you and your force are no longer of any use to me Theta.  Thanks to you and your commander's great successes you uncovered my plan to take over Claw using my grand creation.  It was easy to pin the blame on the all too loyal Styracus and use him to lure you away from Claw Spire.  Now that the ignorant leaf-eaters have played into my talons and destroyed the only entity whom I owed servitude, I'm afraid my time is now and yours is coming to it's end.  Goodbye Theta.

A red warning siren blares in the briefing room, signaling a critical threat.

Runner Lieutenant: Commander, Achilles has activated the core self destruct!

Hasta: Damn it... I'd say it's time we blew this sickle stand.

A series of images are shown highlighting the brutal effects of Achille's betrayal.  Everywhere, Arbiters trigger their self-destructs blowing up buildings, transports, and masses of Claw soldiers.  Hundreds of sharpteeth die in minutes as your entire force tears itself apart.  In Manhatten and Ozzy's transport a similar scene unfolds.

Firehound Sergeant: Fire it up boys... it's time to torch us some dinner.

Arbiter: Self destruct sequence initiated... have a nice day.

The fast-biters around are so engrossed in battle preparation that none of them even notice that their lives are about to end.  Luckily Manhatten does and in a motion swift as lightning he turns his Volcano Pistol and blows off the head of the part mechanical sharptooth.  That same blast penetrates the walls of the Dredge Transport and opens the side armour like a knife through butter.

Manhatten: I always hated those metal bastards.

Ozzy: It would seem that that Achilles was not so loyal after all.

Manhatten: Hah, just one more prey to add to my hit list.

The Firehounds were staring at the bleeding corpse of the living bomb that nearly killed them and looking at Manhatten in shock at his sudden actions.

Manhatten: What are you weak pounds of flesh looking at? Get out here and back us up.

To be continued...

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
I love it... :D

I've redone the Longneck exosuit in keeping with your suggestions, Caustizer. I also made a few minor changes of my own doing - using the original picture as a template, I've beefed up the armour and gone for a look more evocative of a sleek tank. The visor design has also been changed to a goggles-like construction to mimic your original designs.

Note that I still don't have the exocannons attached. I want to have a clear idea of what they're meant to look like before I go about drawing them up.
The air filter tanks design has also been changed from a small box to two armoured scuba-like tanks. They are strongly attached to the armour and are meant to be resistant to many small firearms.

You know the drill by now - suggestions and critique, and what I can do to improve the design further... :yes

On a side note, I can't help but think of Topsy when I hear this piece of music.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Here is what I think the Exocannons should look like on the Exosuit:

Also, here are the FULL tech trees and unit lists for the VDF and Claw.

Note that the entries marked with an asterisk * are units unique to the Future Wars Expansion: Invasion and hence don't have a definate unit profile yet.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Let me introduce the first expansion to LBT: Future Wars,

Future Wars Expansion: Invasion

Following Claw's supposed defeat at Claw Valley the VDF is presented with one of the most dire threats the planet Earth ever will face - the alien race known as the Dirge.  Planning their attack to coincide with the end of the Claw-VDF war to ensure that both armies were at their weakest, the Dirge have arrived to correct the failure of their virus and kill all dinosaurs on the face of the world.  As a revered commander of either the VDF or Claw it is up to you to drive back the aliens and secure the future for everyone who looks on eagerly awaiting the final outcome of the Twilight War.

The 'Dirge' Alien Faction:

An ancient and bitter race, the Dirge as a people have all but destroyed themselves in a quest for physical and mental perfection. The few that remain are dedicated scientists specializing in biological experimentation and genome splicing. A division of the Dirge is responsible for the shrinking of the dinosaurs, in preparation of using the planet Earth to be the testing ground for their newest creation which is the earliest humans. Thanks to Achilles unlocking the code on the Stone of Cold Fire, the part machine-part fast-biter was able to signal their ships and summon them to end the Claw-VDF conflict for his own ends.

The Dirge specialize in deadly poisons and biological experimentation that produces monstrous troops, vehicles, and aircraft of all shapes and sizes. Their mastery of creation is unsurpassed, as demonstrated in their weapons.

VDF Introduction:

A mighty victory it was indeed at the Claw Spire, with Excidium finally destroyed and leaf-eaters who had been raised as feed for the sharptooth empire finally free and safe within the hands of the free VDF.  Your skills as a commander are needed once more however as the invaders have attacked our havens and are raising all that is dear to us that once existed beyond Claw's reach.  We have new weapons and more eager recruits dedicated to defending our cause.  The entire VDF is behind you commander... don't let us down.  Root out these parasitic aliens responsible for our affliction and restore our vibrant way of life to a world free of terror and oppression and death.

Claw Introduction:

Our way of life has nearly been erased.  Between the arrival of unknown entities from space and the betrayal our central AI Achilles Claw is beaten, battered, and bruised but not entirely dead.  With Excidium gone Theta has taken over as the central ruler of Claw (supported loyally by Ozzy and Manhatten) and he is faced with the monumental task of rebuilding the once great sharptooth empire.  Your first mission will be to steal one of the VDF's ALI units so we can organize our armies once more, followed by retribution upon the traitor Achilles for all the suffering he has inflicted.

All New Weaponry:

The Dirge - entirely new faction!

The Dirge as a faction has a unique feature that is completely different from VDF or Claw - their best units are created by combining lesser units!  The Dirge's Tier 2 vehicles and infantry are not trained or created from a production structure, but rather are produced through combining 2 seperate lesser units of the same type into one bigger unit using a Polimerization Morpher structure.

Examples include the Dirge T1 Infantry units:

Raveners - melee basic infantry unit
Sappers - suicide anti vehicle infantry
Explicator - engineer with a weak defensive weapon
Splicers - heavy infantry that can switch weapons on the fly
Malefors - flying fireball throwing entities that are best compared to humanity's interpretation of demons
Icarus the Creator - the Dirge's Commando unit who can use his various Terror Vials to counter virtually any unit type from the Toxicator Vials (infantry) to the Melter Vials (vehicles) to the Infestor Vials (structures).  Can also combine nearby troops without a Morpher making him (or rather 'it') a strategic asset.

Which can combine together to form:

Raveners (x2) = Ravagers - very strong anti-infantry unit
Sappers (x2) = Flayers - tough anti-armour units that use close range disintegrator beams to cut apart enemy machines and explode when crushed
Splicers (x2 = Genetors - tougher heavy infantry that can not only switch weapons on a dime to counter different threats, but also buff different nearby infantry types depending on what they have equiped.  For example, Genetors with Infection Rifles will naturally boost nearby Ravagers' firing speed etc.

New and Deadly Weaponry for VDF & Claw:

Valley Defense Force:

VDF Railsnipers:

- previously only dedicated to non-combat roles as medics and attendants swimmers have now taken to the field in a combination of power armour and revolutionary new Railguns that they can use to pick off enemy targets from great distance
- As a division of the Navy, Railsnipers can also swim unlike most other VDF forces
- The first of the Railsnipers was Ducky, who volunteered for the role following a brief tour of duty in the Cardiocopter (a prototype that was never produced and was deemed unsuccessful)
- trained in teams of two, so relatively weak compared to bigger squads
- can pick of enemies garrisoned in buildings, making these swimmers excellant for city fights
- capable of calling down Thunder Cannon strikes from previously built VDF Behemoths to deal with structures, which they are terribly weak against.

VDF Mobile Drawler Device:

- Massive semi-trucks equiped with the latest in Drawler (aka Weather Control) technology, they are capable of sending massive balls of lightning cascading in a straight line forward, incinerating anything in it's path.  It's source of energy is the Earth itself, but VDF pundits argue that drawn on such a small scale there are no ways that there could be too many negative effects - could there?
- Crewed by Longnecks due to it's extremely experimental nature
- Relatively expensive and fragile, but pack lots of punch for only a second teir unit.  Protect them and they will make a mess of anything those Claw or Dirge bastards send at you
- Best used versus clumps of light vehicles or structures for maximum effect.

VDF Ramjet:

- following the war with Claw it was realized early that the VDF Skyrunners simply didn't pack the punch needed for countering Claw's heavy air units like Screamers and Omega Spheres hence the airborn Ramjet is the solution
- fastrunners who apply for the Skyrunner corps are given the option of transfer to the flyerforce piloting a new generation of jet aircraft - the Ramjets
- fires a burst of deadly Skystrike missles effective versus virtually anything that flies in the sky
- vulnerable to ground fire and relies on speed rather then armour to stay alive in heated conflicts
- relatively cheap compared to some advanced VDF flyercraft like Sonicopters, Pulverizers, or Deliverators

VDF Deliverator:

- the ultimate flying capital vessel, this is the VDF's first experiment with such heavy aircraft and is monumentally expensive to prove it
- Petrie was transfered from the Cardiocopter project following the first part of the Twilight War to pilot the first ever VDF Capitol Ship - the V.D.S. Terra, named after his late mother
- Deliverators are primarily armed with portable Drawler devices similar to the M.D.D. but the main difference is the effectiveness with which they can be used when mounted on an airborn ship with fusion reactors
- Extremely powerful versus groups of vehicles and structures - even moreso then the M.D.D. but this comes at a price
- Can be upgraded with one addition weapons system at cost - from either a Punisher Cannon (anti-infantry), Skystrike Salvo (anti-air), or Reintegration Engine (self-repair)
- Requires both a Battle Centre and Bigmouth's Armoury to construct - talk about expensive tech!

Claw Valley:

Reborn of Claw:

- ressurected dead soldiers of Claw that are similar to those produced from the Ressurection Sphere except new technology allows them to exist in a state of artifical, souless life that means they can be trained from Training Pits now as a basic Claw unit
- requires Cold Fire Obelisk to train, as a part of the Stone of Cold Fire is needed to incite the ressurection process

Basilisk Warship:

- devestating capital warships created by Scythe Valley's one of a kind shipworks
- a replacement for the Omega Sphere, which were all stolen by Achilles when he betrayed Claw
- tough and high tech, requiring both the Black Tech Lab and a Cold Fire Obelisk to build
- expensive, but packing an insane amount of firepower in the form of Claw's most evil technology yet - Soul Nuke Cannons
- Soul Nukes are fireball-like blue projectiles that are fired out of the nose of the basilisk and use a combination of blue Volcano energy and Soul absorbers to not only destroy the target, but capture the energy it releases upon death and convert it to "Soul Charge" which is displayed in a bar undernieth the unit
- When sufficiant Soul Charge is aquired, it can all be expended in one massive blast which can kill pretty much anything on the ground in one shot!
- Has more firepower then the VDF's Deliverator by far, but is much less versatile and is extremely vulnerable to airbased attacks in particular, which certainly serves the Claw modicum
- A fleet of Basilisk warships is terrifying to be behold and a cause for celebration amongst the tired and weathered masses of Claw infantry, and even more so since the infamous torturer (ehm, interrogator) Procella is in command of the entire wing herself.

Dirge vehicle list as well as descriptions of VDF and Claw structures to come!

Caustizer.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I like the ideas but looking at the tech tree, where do Theta and Power Ducky fit in the Claw and VDF sides respectively?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Level Music:

Since the video maker won't let me integrate these tracks anymore, the links now all go to preexisting videos on youtube so you can see the descriptions here:

VDF #9: Deliveration

The Great Haven is under attack once more, and this time it's from an entirely different threat - aliens!  As Dirge Dominators (capital warships) fly overhead unleashing their deadly payload on the civilian buildings below your job is to evacuate the popluation before a more massive Dirge force arrives.  Once you succeed in this task you are relocated to the nearby VDF Command HQ to a large pre-built base and told to hold out until rienforcements arrive.  This is quite difficult, but given your past experiences in defeating Claw it's not too bad.  When the timer finally counts down you find out that the rienforcements are actually a fleet of Saviour level Deliverators led by Petrie himself!  They are already equiped with a good mixture of Punisher Cannons and Skystrike Salvoes so you easily stomp the Dirge into the dirt in the VDF homeland. Now you know why this mission is called 'Deliveration'.

Claw #9: A New Presence

With Achilles' systems turned rogue Claw is suffering more then ever before.  The sharptooth empire is scattered and disorganized without the help of a guiding AI, and even with a full command staff on hand Theta can't bring everything online... a new AI is needed and needed fast.  An Aribitor survivor with a malfunctioning detonator is brought snivelling before Theta, who cocks a gun and lowers it to his head and tells him to solve the problem.  It turns out that Aconite knows where to aquire a VDF AI unit known as ALI to replace Achilles as the central AI and reprogram it to serve Claw.  Retrieve it commander.

Claw #15: Achilles&#39; End
Claw #15: Achilles' End

Claw has been reborn, and is awaiting your orders commander.  As his first high directive, Theta has ordered you to terminate Achilles with extreme prejudice.  Aided by Procella's Basilisk fleet from Scythe Valley and a large contigent of infantry from Fang Sector you enter Claw's industrial heartland, a massive forge city known as the Mechtron that is completely controlled by Achilles.  This is the hardest and most fun mission you will ever play as Claw as you have access to the entire tech tree.

VDF #15: Death Storm

(I strongly recommend turning up your speakers for this one - it is the title track of the entire expansion)

This is the final hour... the final day for the VDF to rein supreme over both alien and sharptooth in their dominance of the Earth.  Aided by an alliance of convience between the Claw and VDF a Claw Construction Digger carries a VDF Construction Walker underground by chain into the maw of the Death Storm, a horrible perminant hurricane created by abuses of Drawler technology.  The Dirge have landed their most precious possessions here - pods containing unknown entities which you intend to capture for study or destruction.  At the beginning of this mission the Dirge use their new secret weapon the Biobliterator to annailate the Claw base so it looks like you will be fighting the aliens on your own.  The instant you deploy your Construction Walker you get two free devices that deploy next to you - the Atmospheric Destablizer and the Chronometron.  Trust me you will need both of them to defend against the waves of Malefors and Quake Engines that come flying in to destroy you.

At the end of the VDF campaign comes the ultimate surprise - the leaf-eating dinosaurs of the VDF capture the Dirge pods, only to come face to face with the first humans of existance.  One of them, a little boy of whom you can barely see, touches Littlefoot's nose and the entire screen blacks out in a flash of light ending both the campaign and the game.

I hope you like my interpretation of the Futuristic Version of Twilight Valley

Caustizer

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
WOW! I LOVE IT!

The ending is quite heartwarming too.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
Amazing. Truly, indescribably amazing. That is a perfect ending, too... congratulations guys. :lol:

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry I didn't finish the hero destcriptions very well, here are the ones that you can request for a battle for both the VDF and Claw (Dirge heroes are a concept I'm debating on atm - some ideas would be awesome)

Hero System:

- Both the VDF and Claw have structures that you can build right after you get a Talon Core/ Arborium up and running to request the presence of notable heroes to aid your army.  They are the Glorious Hall (names subject to change) and the Pack Leader Den.

- Some heroes are more powerful then others and hence require some pre-existing tech to request (aka Littlefoot's Brontodon "Doc" is way too powerful for an early game hero so you need a Battle Centre first before you can request him)

- At the start of the game you can only have a single hero active on the battlefield at one time, but this changes when you build a Battle Centre/Black Tech Lab to two active heroes permitted so you don't have to kill off Sonic Ruby to get Petrie's Deliverator for example.

- Note that every faction has one Commando unit (in the case of Claw its a pair) that do not count as heroes and can be requested and re-requested when you have the proper tech.  As a general rule Commandos are a ton more powerful then heroes but the two of them together can make a great combination.

Commando Units:

VDF: Warp Chomper

Claw: Utah & Manhatten

Dirge: Icarus the Creator

Hero Units (sorted by Tech level required):

VDF:

Teir 1 = Sonic Ruby, Power Ducky
Teir 2 (Tactical Control) = Cera's Punisher
Teir 3 (Battle Centre) = Littlefoot's Brontodon, Petrie's Deliverator

Claw:

Teir 1 = Chamelion Ozzy, Aconite's Calculator
Teir 2 (Operations Den) = Hellebore's Reductor
Teir 3 (Black Tech Lab) = Red Eye's Tyrannotron, Procella's Basilisk

Dirge:

Tier 1 = TBA
Tier 2 (Polimerization Morpher) = TBA
Teir 3 (Genetic Constructor) = TBA

Note that Theta counts as a Commando unit, but he is only playable in certain missions of the Claw campaign.  Since Theta is the ruler of Claw now, he cannot be senselessly risking himself on the battlefield.  His talents at "Diplomacy" are better used keeping the Claw-VDF Alliance from breaking apart while two great enemies threaten their survival.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
More Music:

VDF Mission #13: Return to Cloud Island

It looks like the infamous Cloud Island prison has come into use again, even after the VDF destroyed it the first time.  Today however it is an operations base for Achilles, a dangerous rogue sharptooth that Claw insists must be eliminated if the alliance is to hold.  The mission begins as a Supersonic VDF jet flys over open ocean, only to be targeted by surface to air missiles from Achille's Missile Subs and heavily damaged.  Citing a critical systems failure, the craft paradrops a group of 5 Railsnipers including Ducky into the sea before crashing into the water.  As the Railsnipers reach shore a small wing of Claw Basilisk Warships coast in slowly and menacingly from the side of the map.  At their head, a single Basilisk hails you - and it turns out to be Procella who has been told by Claw command to assist in destroying the targets your Railsnipers designate.  An interesting conversation occurs in which General Longtail has to threaten Ducky with tribunal charges if she doesn't obey her orders.  As battle control comes online it is your task to clear out defenses to allow a Construction Walker to arrive before destroying Achilles' installation.

Claw #14: The Traitor in the Deep

The VDF has destroyed Cloud Island as they promised, and now have presented a demand of their own to keep the pact.  The Dirge have assaulted the Verdant Haven so the VDF does not have the forces or the equipment on hand to eliminate Achille's Submarine Fleet.  Intelligence has revealed that he might be planning to load his Xion Class Submarines with the most hienous WMDs ever created... Massive Yield Soul Nukes, a plan that doesn't bode well for either the VDF or Claw.  Theta has given you the task of assaulting Achille's undersea base using a modified arsenal of weaponry and bases designed to work underwater!  This is probably one of the most interesting missions in the game - but it can be annoying due to the darkness of the sea floor that makes sighting enemies difficult.  Once you capture Achille's MY Soul Nukes the mission ends in victory.

LBT: Future Wars &amp; FW: Invasion End Credits
LBT: Future Wars & FW: Invasion End Credits

Created by: Brett "Caustizer" Thompson

Based on a world by Serris

Awesome Artwork By: South Paw Racer

Awesome Music By: Frank Klepacki  :lol

Special Thanks to: Everyone who has bothered to read and comment in this thread!

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Do you guys think I should continue with this after I finish the Dirge Weapons and VDF/Claw Hero descriptions?

I have an idea for another perspective expansion, a whole new set of music to accompany it, and an all encompassing ending that would finish off the series.

Caustizer

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
I say do it... the ending that you detailed beforehand was awesome enough, but some closure would be great as well. I reckon you should go ahead with it. :smile

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Known Weaponry of the Alien Race known as the Dirge:

Forgive me if I'm a bit lax on the descriptions, but the Dirge do not play an overly important role in the overall outcome of the Claw-VDF conflict.

Infantry:

Raveners:

- basic infantry units that are genetically grown by the Dirge to assault enemy foot soldiers and carve them into pieces with their claws
- overall are quite lightly armoured and are not resistant to attacks from advanced anti-personel weapons
- cheap and quick to produce, making it simple to produce massive swarms to overwhelm and slaughter the enemy
- come in groups of 6 which is less then Sickle Packs at 8 but equivilant to Runner Squads
- by appearance they are dull purple-skinned small dog-like animals with two seperate pairs of scything talons - with their blank white eyes revealing not even a small part of a soul
- can be upgraded into Ravagers which use rapid fire Splinter Pods and high hitpoints to devestate enemy infantry and aircraft, but require a Polimerization Morpher and two Ravener Squads to accomplish this transformation

Sappers:

- small living bombs grown en mass by the Dirge to charge towards enemy armour and structures and detonate, spraying clouds of liquid Caustic fluid and melting them into green goo
- one shot one use, but are quite cheap and can deal substaintial damage in a very short period of time
- come in groups of 4, though the explosions of nearby Sappers don't effect their comrades unfortunately
- completely souless like most Dirge troops, and do not care for their own survival other then to do exactly as the Biomaster tells them
- by appearance are dark purple spiders with bulbous sacs of volatile fluids growing off their bodies
- two squads of Sappers can be combined via a Polimerization Morpher into Flayers, which are deadly large spider groups that use disintegator anti-armour beams to slice their targets into little tiny pieces

Explicator:

- these cat-like beasts are quite docile and despite their created purpose tend to avoid direct conflict by instict even while their Dirge masters drive them on
- they have a very important purpose in the Dirge armies and that is to infiltrate and capture enemy holdings, as well as shocking large bio-beasts back to life with their central boosters
- Explicators are overcharged with life energy, which explains their overall friendly nature, although it is often focused on tasks detrimental to the VDF and Claw on the battlefield hence these creations must be eliminated as the highest priority
- secondary ability is to meld into their surroundings, making them invisible for as long as they are stationary - unless a Claw Arbitor or VDF Architect comes along that is!

Splicers:

- the personal servants of the Master Creator Icarus and masters of the Dirge's biotechnology these troopers can biomorph their skeletal arms into different types of weapons so they can better combat their enemies
- scions of the Dirge race, these humaniod-like figures are the only actual Dirge to set foot on an active battlefield, and by appearance are purple-skinned, possessing long arms and legs and maws full of vicious teeth (for best comparason, the Dirge are similar to the Halo series' Covanant in some regards)
- different weapon types include Virus Cannons, Splinter Pods, and Acid Breath
- Virus Cannons are bio-organic sniper rifles that disintegrate any infantry target they hit at long range in a violent burst of flesh eating virus
- Splinter Pods project a hail of sharp splinter spines that are effective versus masses of infantry and even aircraft
- Acid Breath consists of short range balls of death that can kill infantry within garrisons, and melt all surface targets into a pool of melted green slag
- created in groups of 4
- can be combined into Genitors using a Polimerization Morpher, which not only switch weapons like their predecessors and have an increased amount of hit points to compensate, but also increase the combat statistics of nearby Dirge infantry based on the current weapon they are using
- Virus Cannons increase the range of nearby infantry by 10% if upgraded to Genitors
- Splinter Pods increase rate of fire by 10% if upgraded to Genitors
- Acid Breath increases damage by 10% if upgraded to Genitors

Malefors:

- grown specifically to aid the Dirge in conquering the air, these winged beasts are deadly in the extreme and are used very often to tighen up the Dirge's arial sercurity or simply to masscre ignorant indiginous populations into submission
- by appearance look vastly similar to humanity's interpretation of demons - in fact these flying infantry are likely the origin of such a concept in religion, though this can never be proven
- use batches of insect grenades, which when released from their underwings beeline their way towards the nearest enemy heat-source and detonate trigging a devestating reaction in both groups of infantry and hardened structures alike
- does not do so well versus enemy vehicles, which seem to be cold enough to fool the heat-seeking insects to more often then not miss their targets
- come in squads of 6, though since they are airborn they cannot be polymorphed into a greater form
- requires a Polimerization Nexus to be created

Icarus the Creator:

- greatest of the Dirge, Icarus has travelled the vastness of space for generations perfecting the art of creation and destruction and advancing his personal research
- possesses one of the most powerful and annoying attributes of all units, and this is his insanely high regeneration rate
- he is weak to most anti-infantry attacks, but he regenerates hitpoints so fast only the most powerful of enemy weapons can possibly have a chance of eliminating him (ie Punisher Cannons and Caustic Gases or Snipers)
- as his primary weapon, he throws vials of supreme potency at medium range which when broken produce deadly effects on enemies
- Infector Vials that break on buildings instantly grow a set of bio-tentacles that emerge from the ground and crush the target structure almost instantly
- Splinter Vials break in a shower of sharp spines which impale nearby infantry and aircraft similar to Utah's Blade Nova ability
- Acid Vials that break on vehicles instantly melt them... no ifs ands or buts
- Unique Commando unit just like VDF's Chomper and Claw's Utah and Manhatten and as such you can only build one of them but he is completely awesome

Caustizer

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm just curious, out of both storylines do you find the VDF one more interesting or the Claw one?

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
I may be slightly biased, but I find the VDF story more interesting... particularly because of Topsy creating illegal weapons behind the council's back. It adds an extra dimension to their side of the conflict. With Claw, I can't see anything like that that sets them apart from other "evil" sides in video games. That's just my opinion though...

On a completely different note, I stayed up till 1am last night drawing this concept art of Ducky with her backpack. I also updated the armour's look according to yours and Serris' recommendations (shoulder plates and articulated armour for the tail) and included a hint of the railgun... ;)

The V.D.F. on her back is for identification purposes - it is engraved into the armour plate. The triangular symbols you can see on her right leg and helmet are previews of my idea of what the VDF symbol should look like.

Feel free to give feedback and recommend any changes... :yes

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I love this drawing as with all of your artwork.  I wish I could make drawings this good (if I could then half the arsenal would be done by now  :lol).

Could you make a few small changes for me though?

1) Since Ducky is now part of a corps - at least as of the Invasion Expansion - the primary role of the Swimmer Railsnipers is to use extreme range to their advantage to get into positions where they can pick off sharpteeth and vehicles from long range without having to risk getting up close and likely being eaten  :anger.  Keeping this in mind, could you extend the barrel of the Railrifle via possibly adding a barrel shaft to make it appear like a long range armament rather then a short range one?

2) Swimming is second nature to the swimmers, so naturally the VDF takes advantage of this by allowing them to be completely amphibious.  Since they can't really swim in such a thick suit of armour, could you add small hydrojets on the back to propell them forward if they end up in the water?

Thanks for devoting so much of your time to drawing this for me and Serris and I hope you do more!

EDIT: I like your interpretation of the VDF symbol a lot better then mine.  I could maybe make a rendition of it on it's own later.

Caustizer