The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Jurassic Park 3 20th Anniversary Revisit

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
It's time to take a look back at what used to be the most hated JP film. There might already be a thread on this film but I am too lazy to go and check.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
First let's talk about the thing that is coming to everyone's mind right now, the Spinosaurus. :RedclawTerrified

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I actually rewatched it a couple days ago in a JP/JW marathon.

Spino is my favorite antagonist. I like him more than the T-Rex frankly.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I actually liked this film a lot as a kid. Helps that it brought back my favorite character, Alan Grant, and it pretty much codified the now-ubiquitous Spinosaurus as the T-Rex's arch-rival. I think most kids identified with Eric Kirby, thinking we'd be the badass kid who could survive all alone on a dinosaur-filled island for weeks. I think it was also the first movie in the series to use flying dinosaurs as a legitimate danger instead of just skybox setpieces.

I remember changing my ringtone to "♪♫♪ Kirby Paint & Tile Plus in Westgate! ♪♫♪" after downloading it from some shifty 90s website, haha

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Yeah. I think people made a big deal out of the Spino killing the T. Rex. It didn't bother me that much as a kid. Yeah it is inaccurate but when has JP ever been scientifically accurate?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:06:50 PM by LittleDas75 »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on May 06, 2021, 04:56:35 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on May 06, 2021, 04:56:35 PM
I actually liked this film a lot as a kid. Helps that it brought back my favorite character, Alan Grant, and it pretty much codified the now-ubiquitous Spinosaurus as the T-Rex's arch-rival. I think most kids identified with Eric Kirby, thinking we'd be the badass kid who could survive all alone on a dinosaur-filled island for weeks. I think it was also the first movie in the series to use flying dinosaurs as a legitimate danger instead of just skybox setpieces.

I remember changing my ringtone to "♪♫♪ Kirby Paint & Tile Plus in Westgate! ♪♫♪" after downloading it from some shifty 90s website, haha

There were some great tie in junior novellizations about Eric Kirby’s life on Isla Sorna during those weeks. In the book I read you find out hiw he got the T-Rex pee.

The other jr. novel deals with the escaped Pteradoons at the end of the film.

Yeah. I think people mad a big deal out of the Spino killing the T. Rex. It didn't bother me that much as a kid. Yeah it is inaccurate but when has JP ever been scientifically accurate?

It didn’t bother me either. It was a scene to solidly Spino’s supremacy. Also if you look carefully in HD, the Rex is not a full grown adult, its sub-adult/ teenager.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
In general the Spinosaurus is a very awesome addition to the franchise even if they glorified it a lot.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:07:48 PM by LittleDas75 »

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
And it really ticks me off that in Jurassic World they had Rexy bust through a Spinosaurus skeleton just to spite this film.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
They did the same in Fallen Kingdom with Rexy smashing Indominus Rex’s spinal column.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I guess the only problem I have with the Spino is that it's able to smash through a steel fence but it can't smash through a metal door?

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I remember as a kid this was the Jurassic Park film I watched the most.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I remember as a kid this was the Jurassic Park film I watched the most.

Same here. It was at our local theater for a long time.  Much longer than other films.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Personally I think this film has the most memorable soundtrack in the entire franchise.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Clearly the most memorable part of this movie for me  :PLoofah

If I recall, the spinosaurus was completely CGI instead of the original T-Rex being partly animatronic in some scenes. I thought the movie was ok. I actually find the 2nd one to be my least favourite of the 3 as the whole city part of it I found kinda boring. Plus the gymnastic girl kicking a raptor out the window was pretty dumb. At least the girl in the first movie saying "It's a Unix system" is funny in a bad way and can be used as a reference (something my friend and I do all the time anytime something fake hacking happens in other movies).

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
As a kid I didn't even notice the Raptor had it's hands on the seat. Also the Spinosaurus also had a animatronic version as well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 12:46:00 PM by LittleDas75 »

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Actually I just noticed it as well when posting the gif haha.

Oh it did, cool. I guess I need to watch the movie again at some point haha.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Speaking of there's one criticism for this film that I have heard people repeat is the special effects are a downgrade from the the last two films and I kind of agree. The CGI is noticeably lower quality than in The Lost World and the animatronics don't look or move as naturally as the animatronics in the previous two films did. But for 2001 the effects are still pretty good.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
As a kid I didn't even notice the Raptor had it's hands on the seat. Also the Spinosaurus also had a animatronic version as well.

This is true, the Spino was animatronic for many scenes, especially the climax where is assails the boat. The scene where Tea Leoni is grabbed by the Spino’s claws in the submerged cage really happened, she is really screaming because the animatronic dino tore into and hurt her.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile