The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time Glossary

Pangaea · 93 · 33086

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
This glossary is for both canon and noncanon LBT terms. Halftooth is a noncanon term (if I remember right, things in red are canon, things in blue are noncanon). I like halftooth more because it describes how an omnivore is halfway between a carnivore and an herbivore.

You can try PMing Pangaea and informing him of your omnivore term, bothtooth, so it can be included here in the list.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Oct 28 2009 on  10:16 PM
Thank you so, so much for mentioning that. I thought I had already had "Sky Fire" on there, so I checked to make sure, and this is what I saw:
Lightning – Lightning
:slap :bang :wacko
I've fixed it, but boy do I feel like an absentminded knucklehead. :rolleyes

For the record, I would have suggested "sky flash" if LBT hadn't already come up with a term for lightning. :p

EDIT: Ah! "Jumping waters" (geysers) isn't on there either! Thank you!
I believe that lightning is "sky fire".  

Also, are we sure that Gallimimus = Rainbow Face?  Gallimimus is an omnivore.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What the rainbowfaces are has been debated. I had thought troodon (another omnivore), but I think the most popular idea is that the hidden runners are troodons, while the rainbowfaces are gallimimus.

True they're omnivores, but so are the domeheads (last I checked), and even the ceratopsians (the horned dinosaurs such as threehorns) are considered to be omnivorous. My guess is that the valley is tolerant of certain omnivores. Or it could just be the creators didn't really think this through too much, which is likely. Or perhaps, also likely, any omnivorous dinosaur in the valley is pretty much fully vegetarian except in special cases (the eggstealers of the second movie and Ruby of the series being such examples).

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Guido's supposed to be a Microraptor too and we don't see him eating meat (only a worm and certainly no green food which he can't chew to begin with...). Though Guido's body design is kind of differing from a realistic Microraptor I believe. As DarkHououmon said I think the writers just didn't care that much about the diet of certain species (if they don't into your concept, make them fit in...). I guess that's what they thought. Guido looks really... odd. They made him look odd to show his... weirdness.
Inactive, probably forever.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The term raptor doesn't mean anything.  Oviraptor also doesn't mean carnivore as Ruby's kind is an omnivore and is so, in fact, in real life.  

Also, does anyone have a term for "tornado"?   If not, I was going to suggest "Sky Twirly".  It would go along the lines of "Sky Puffy" (cloud).

Also, I created a term called "Fanged Flattooth" for dinos like Domeheads and Deinocherius.  It's actually a slight misnomer like "Tiny Longneck".   It's not really a Flattooth at all, but a kind of omnivore that has teeth and can actually eat bigger meat than Ruby could and indeed could eat other dinos if it wanted.   Such a thing HAD to exist....somewhere.  

As for....er.....farting, I believe the two terms I've seen are

1.) Rude Bottom Noises

2.) [Insert Name here]'s tush has blown a boomer.

Also, has anyone figured out the difference between "Sharptooth Flyer" and "Sharp Beak" or are the two the same thing like "Tiny Longneck" and "Tinysaurus"?  

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Mar 17 2015 on  01:15 PM
The term raptor doesn't mean anything.
Actually, yes it does have a meaning. It comes from a latin word that means "to seize" or "take by force". It is also a word used for birds of prey, such as eagles and hawks. The term 'raptor' would indeed imply an animal that did some form of hunting, so both carnivores and omnivores would apply. You wouldn't see that term used for a deer or a cow.

Hardback247

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I noticed that in The Great Longneck Migration, the characters keep on referring to dreams as "sleep stories." But in The Secret of Saurus Rock, Littlefoot literally says that he had a bad dream. A little consistency is all I ask! Do the writers always have to come up with cute-sounding alternatives for words we take for granted?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hardback247,Sep 3 2015 on  09:06 PM
I noticed that in The Great Longneck Migration, the characters keep on referring to dreams as "sleep stories." But in The Secret of Saurus Rock, Littlefoot literally says that he had a bad dream. A little consistency is all I ask! Do the writers always have to come up with cute-sounding alternatives for words we take for granted?
Didn't they use the term "rain" once, too? I forget if they did, but I kind of remember somewhere them saying "rain", but then I think in the TV show they said "sky water".

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Let's hope they keep these LBT-terms in LBT 14 :) A little consistency would be nice indeed...

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Carcharodontosaurus - Bloodletting Sharptooth

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:55:17 PM by Belmont2500 »

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have a theory concerning Ali's name... though keep in mind this is just my speculation...

[A]patosaurus [l]ousae = Ali

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've believe I have something else that could be an addition.

Paralititan - Ridgeneck

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:57:52 PM by Belmont2500 »

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
This is very helpful for writing! Glad to have found this list.

I am wondering, however, about the official spelling/punctuation of these terms. Are all the terms on this list spelled according to canon, such as the back of DVD cases, subtitles, books, etc.? I always have a hard time figuring out if a term should be two separate words (leaf eater), hyphenated (leaf-eater), or one word (leafeater).