The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Favorite video game and why

F-14 Ace · 147 · 18806

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ahh, very kewl  :DD

I'm glad there is more to the game than meets the eye.  Hey, that's not so bad at all, hey?  :p

I'll *maybe* get it, if it comes down in price, but it's still fairly expensive around here

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
Halo has always stuck with me. Ever since I first played it and heard of it two and a half years ago.  I finally got the game on December 10th, 2005.  I've always loved this game.  It's an instant classic.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Does anyone own a PSP?! I recently got one (and I love it  :DD ) but I'm a little in the dark about the games out for it. I'm not a sports gamer, and I'm not terribly fond of GTA (gets too repetitive and boring for me after a while). I've already got Tales of Eternia and Metal Gear Acid (both wickid) but I'm looking for something else...any recommendations? :unsure:

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I also like many of the other Scifi First Person Shooters out there.  Of course, Halo would be at the top of my list.  Then Timesplitters Future Perfect, Then Doom 3, and then the original Doom from 1993.  I'm obseesed over those types of games.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If we're talking shooters, my favorites have been

Doom 64.  Scariest Doom game ever, I'd say.  I didn't like Doom 3 so much.  The PDA and the code numbers system was very annoying.  It felt more like Half-life than Doom, and I wasn't  a fan of half-life.

The Unreal Tournament series.  I never played UT 2003, but between UT classic (1999) and UT 2004, they have their ups and downs, compared to each other.  I still enjoy them both very much.

If I owned Quake 3, I'd say it was a fairly amusing game as well, but I haven't played it for so long, I can't remember for sure.  my computer can't run Quake 4.

Halo seems like it would be more fun as a multiplayer game.  I couldn't really get into the game as a single-player experience.  A coop game on the PC version may be pretty good, but on the X-Box, I find the game difficult to play.  If I can't get a keyboard and mouse for my shooter games, I'm not happy  :p

I don't mind Battlefield 2, though it may be a little over-rated.

All three games in the Serious Sam PC series are very amusing as multiplayer games, though they get a bit repetitive as single-player games.  Great time for a co-op team of friends though.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
FPS's eh? Not my favourite genre but definitely one of my top 5's. My all-time favourite FPS definitely has to be Perfect Dark for the N64. Fun, mad and great storyline. OK so graphically it wasn't cutting edge but the gameplay was so solid it was almost indestrucible! :DD I've played PD-0 but I didnt enjoy it as much as the original...it was too slow and I felt something within the next instalment was lost coz it didnt appeal to me as much. Shame really coz I was expecting a bit more from Rare than that :(

Timesplitters I love especially Future Perfect! Some of the stuff in that game is just so unbelievably random it's funny. :lol Half-life is another great FPS and arguably the best (especially HL-2). The graphical quality and mechanics of that game are simply astounding :DD (Im talking about on PC not Xbox)

Now this is where I probably tread on a few people's toes...coz I really dislike Halo with a passion! I'm not gonna slag it off or anything (that's uncalled for) but I just don't like it...single or multiplayer. Doom I found a bit too brain-numbing to be enjoyable  <_<. Just a giant of a man running around with a big sod-off gun...nah, sorry. I need a bit more than that. I'll agree the fear factor element is good but that's about all I found interesting about it. Alien Vs. Predator I thought did it much better despite it's age and slightly dated graphics.

Didn't like Quake but I'll let Unreal Tourni slide coz I did get into that a one point.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll never forget 007 Goldeneye for the N64

God me and my friends used to ALWAYS play that. It was *the* game :lol:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Haha yeah!  I remember playing that game for hours on end, both single and mutiplayer.  At the time, it was awesome.

In the case of both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, they would have all sort of lasting power, if it wasn't for the technical aspects of the games.  They both have fairly low frame rates (especially Perfect Dark), and multiplayer games seriously suffer because of this fact.  Try playing a PC shooter at 2 - 5 Frames per second and see how much fun that is.  

That was the major downfall of the N64 - the system couldn't handle the games.  Lots of awesome games got destroyed by the lack of playability brought on by the low framerate.  Goldeneye, for the most part, was alright, framerate-wise, but the odd single-player, and many multiplayer situations caused enough choppiness that it degraded the playability of the game.  Perfect dark was even worse for this.

At least for me, the framerate took away much of the multiplayer, and even single player fun of Perfect Dark.  I always played Perfect Dark on low-res (even though I have the expansion pak to go high-res) because the framerate was slightly better.

Aside from the framerate, both games were absolutely awesome, and I would have played them more.  :DD  The framerates, espcially Perfect Dark's, finished me on the game, I must admit.

When I play PC games, I keep the detail down to maximize the frame rate of the game.  Nothing messes my game up more than a low framerate.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My flight simulator STILL won't work!  :cry2  :cry2  :cry2  :cry2  :cry2  :cry  :cry  :cry I'm almost crying right now!  I want my simulator!  All I have that works is FS 98.  The graphics SUCK!  FS 2004 worked before we reformated.  Why won't it work now?   :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry2  :cry2  :cry2 I want to fly my ultra realistic F-14!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oy...that's not fun  :angry:

I remember playing with FS 2004:  Amazing graphics and realism, though when I played it, my computer couldn't run it very well...

Fantastic game though, especially if you have a joystick (I don't, but I have a gamepad).  Too bad it won't run now - computers can be stupid  :bang

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Feb 19 2006 on  07:26 AM

God me and my friends used to ALWAYS play that. It was *the* game :lol:
Heh!  Me, my little brother and my two cousins used to play that game all the time.

We always came up with fun weapons to use. (Proximity Mines, Automatics, Grenade Launchers, etc.)

Of course, we had a few rules.

No Bond, Paintball Mode, 20 minutes.

We even had Slappers only.  My youngest cousin was a master slapper and, quite often, used Oddjob. (You know, the one that's smallest.) We even tried forbidding him from using Oddjob because he was too good with him.  He STILL beat us.

We even went for Pistols and Golden Gun.

Not to mention Flag mode.  That was always fun. :)

Ah, good times!  I miss them though. :(

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
We always came up with fun weapons to use.
Of course, we had a few rules.

Haha, great times!  We used to love Remote Mines in the Basement.  Hiding mines on pillars and KABOOM (the ol' A+B trick for detonating mines was beautiful!)

Oh yes, I almost forgot - we often played "licence to kill", which is basically One-hit kills.  This was brutal with Automatics, or explosives  :lol .

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nah mate...it has to be a 10-20min match, License to Kill, Pistols on the Archive level (or Stack). The sheer fear of knowing that the first hit is always fatal brings forth the most randomest and epic of gun battles! LOL.  :lol That with four players is madness re-defined! On one beautiful moment, me and 3 other friends all met up in the same room and we all fired at exactly the same time (but on different targets) and we all died at exactly the same time...I never deemed it possible!  :DD

Proxys are always fun...blowing up unsuspecting victims but also that looming dread of... "Oh gawd! I've laid down too many mines and I can't remember where they are!  :( ) :lol Or "Is that a bullet hole or a mine?!" :lol:

Ahhh the good ol' days! Think I need to go and play that again! Pull out the N64 for a retro trip!  Gotta luv it! :^.^:

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"Is that a bullet hole or a mine?!"

Aha, I always had that problem :lol:

An interesting thing we started doing (in the facility level) was having one of us put our handicap up as high as possible, and the rest of us have it low as possible. We would then pretend that the one with the high handicap was sort of the "boss" and he could only stay up near the bathrooms :P:

Another thing I liked to do was put proximity mines on the spawn points :lol I didn't do it very much though as it wasn't really fair :rolleyes:

And another fun thing we used to do was put it on only lazers, license to kill, and go into the Library level (Or whatever the level is called that's the library but with no basement) We would then have one of us stand up on the 2nd floor of some room and randomly fire all over the first floor, while the other one tries to run through the room :lol: It wasn't always fair though as you could purposely aim right for him, but it was fun :D

God we would always play in Facilty. That was the "default" level :DD

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I heard they are comming out with a new Ace COmbat game this month!!!!!!!!!!!! :D March 23, 2006, they said on the website!  It is called Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.  It is about the war that htey kept talking all throughout Ace Combat 5.  Can't Wait to play it! :yes  :D

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Congrats.  :)   And I'm stuck waiting for the new Windows Vista so I can get Halo 2 when it comes out.  I feel cheated that Bungie didn't make it for XP.  :mad

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Windows Vista? You mean that game is actually coming out for the PC? :o

(Btw, what is Windows Vista exactly? :lol:)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Windows Vista is Microsoft's latest Operating System, to replace Windows XP.  I'm not sure when the release date is for it, but it's soon.

BTW, does anyone know if you Need a 64-bit processor to use Windows Vista?  I hope not, I just got a new Pentium 4  :(

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have no idea.  But I'm thinking of getting and Alienware notebook when the Windows Vista comes out.  Because my current notebook doesn't have the good graphics hardware to run the game in full detail.  Because of this, the graphics in Halo 1 aren't very awe inspiring when I play it on my computer.