The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Problem with a laptop

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The laptop itself isn't mine. It belongs to someone else. He wanted me to look at it because of problems he was having with it.

The original issue was that the laptop had a password on it. Windows XP Pro is what was installed on the system and it had a login screen and it would not allow him access in cause he didn't know the password. I did tell him to remove the battery and put it back in, thinking it would reset it, but at the time I didn't know it was a login password. Either way, it didn't really cause any issues cause of that.

The next thing we tried was installing a new operating system on it, but to do that, he had to boot from the CD. He first tried the boot options, around four of them, and none of them would allow him to boot from the CD, same thing happened and he got to the Windows login screen. I told him to try to get into BIOS and rearrange it so that it booted from the CD Drive first. I guess I was not specific enough because I don't know what he did, but after that, it displayed an "operating system not found".

I had him bring the laptop to me so I could look at it. I knew I had to get into the BIOS but didn't know how to, so I had to read up about it. The only keys that do anything is Esc and F12. F12 brings up the Boot Menu, which is now devoid of all choices except Enter Setup, which it won't let me do. F2 is supposed to bring up Setup, but that doesn't work.

Esc does bring up what may be the BIOS, or starting to load it anyway. The screen starts displaying some information on the computer, such as how much storage or RAM is on it, among a few other things. Once it gets to the part about detecting a mouse, or a mouse port or something, it stops and goes to the "operating system not found". Once I tried holding down F10 and this caused it to beep rapidly until I turned it off.

It did beep in other occasions as well, like when I had a CD in the drive or even when I did nothing to it at all except leave it on. The beeps are high-pitched and, unlike the rapid beeping, are separated from each other in approx 14 second intervals.

I did attempt to boot from another device. I went into Boot Menu and pressed the numbers. Even though there were no options, I thought that maybe the comp would still recognize a selection. The computer started turning off after that. It would remain on for a few seconds before just shutting off. Not so bad now, but for a while it wouldn't even turn on long enough to see the logo screen.

Anyone know what's going on with this machine? Here's the type of laptop it is: Toshiba Satellite A70-S249.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Instead of changing the order of the devices, he disabled them.  Toshiba's are tricky machines and they're all different.  For example, F2 gets you into the setup of a Dell, F10 an HP, Gateway is typically either F1 of F2.  But Toshiba varies greatly.  Clear the CMOS and everything will be reset to where it was before he screwed with it.  But I would try to get into the setup.  Have you tried the Delete key yet?  NOT the Backspace key, but the DELETE key (Usually shortened to Del on laptops).

I couldn't find instructions on how to reset the CMOS (not surprising.  Toshiba's support manuals really suck).  Try removing the CMOS and laptop battery and leaving the computer overnight.  This just might clear it for you.

Worst case scenario you'll have to download the following file and flash the BIOS:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/su...ds/1a70v160.exe

That is...if you can boot from a CD.  I would try an external USB DVD drive.  Since it wasn't in the list of boot devices, it shouldn't be disabled.  Then run a boot CD that will allow you to run a version of mini Windows XP and run the BIOS flasher program.  Make sure the laptop is plugged in when you do this though.  

In the future don't tell an inexperienced user to go into their BIOS and screw around with the boot devices.  If you really have to then make sure to be VERY specific.  But it's best not to advise people like that.  I do this for a living so I don't give people free information anyway (except online), but even if I didn't I wouldn't let an inexperienced user into their BIOS.  It's dangerous in there if you don't know what you're doing.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
CMOS is the Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor.  It basically contains the basic setup information for your computer (i.e. boot sequence, time, date, processor voltages, etc.).  If you clear it, it will go back to it's default programming.  CMOS and BIOS are often confused because of CMOS setup and BIOS setup.  They're the same thing.  Technically you should call it CMOS setup, but I prefer BIOS.  Though although their names are interchangeable, they're two different chips on the board.  But I should stop myself before I go rambling on about the differences.  Basically the CMOS contains all the basic information and it was changed by your friend.  Clearing it will restore the boot sequence and enable the boot devices again.  Then all you have to do is get back into the setup and change the boot device order and do what you originally wanted your friend to do.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Okay I successfully managed to get into the BIOS, restore the original settings, boot onto an Ubuntu LiveDVD, and installed the new system. There were problems along the way, but I ultimately managed to fix the laptop.