The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time: Dinosaur Land Adventure

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
So I was super bored today. So bored that I tried to look up Land Before Time on the Google Play Store... and what do you know, rather shockingly, I actually got a hit.

There is an actual LBT mobile app game, out there in the Mysterious Beyond. :! Behold, The Land Before Time: Dinosaur Land Adventure.

It appears to be a platformer, starring everyone's favorite swimmer, Ducky. :sducky

(pictures all from the Play Store page)

Here's the app page on Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adventuretime.dinosaurland

And here's the game's description on its app page:
Welcome to Dinosaur Land , the brand new 2D platform game that’s packed with stunning levels, arcade action and awesome Dinosaurs! Expand your Dinosaur collection and set off on the adventure of a lifetime!

When a mysterious evil appears, it’s up to the Tiny Dinosaur to save his family and return peace to the world. Inspired by classic games, Dinosaur Land is a thrilling and fun platformer for everyone!

Jump, dash, climb and glide your way through every episode. Unlock new Dinosaurss and learn different skills!

Story talks about a Tiny Dinosaur lived happy with his family.One day Tiny Dinosaur's family was kidnapped by wizard .Help our Super Dinosaur rescue his family from the demons of the underworld in this jumping game adventure! Collect thousands of coins, wipe out countless enemies and utilize an assortment of wild acrobatic contraptions to reach the exit at the end of each level.

Dinosaur's family have left a trail of coins to help him track them down. Collect as many glittering treasures as you can by smashing over crates, barrels, sacks and in hidden areas.

DINOSAUR LAND FEATURES:
- Jump through over 80 levels full of rewards and secret items!
- 2D graphics and gameplay, just like your favorite oldschool games!
- Easy to learn, as modern endless runners!
- Hard to master, like old retro platformers, a true blast from the past!
- Epic Orchestral Soundtrack.

Adventure and action awaits in Dinosaur Land, the episode based 3D platformer from Social Point! Take control of Blaze and save the Dinosaurs!

Download Dinosaur Land and enter the world of Dinosaurs today!

Discounting all the claims about this being a mobile knockoff (as if Universal licensed this lol), in all honesty I was surprised to find this. Not what you expect. I never expected to see a LBT game on the app store, even one that isn't licensed. We laughed about this discovery for a bit in the Discord server before eventually the idea of posting this madness to the forums came up.

Now, my recommendation if you really want to play this is to use an Android emulator (Bluestacks, Memu, Nox, the likes) that supports 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and up, download the game's .apk file via this drive link, and run the app there. It appears to request some weird app perms like preventing sleeping, so better safe than sorry. I personally would not recommend downloading it to your actual device through Play Store, but it's up to you.

So... any thoughts about this? Is anyone a big enough fan of mobile apps, platform games, and Ducky to genuinely give this thing a shot? I can say though, I'm not used to the controls at all, haven't even beaten the first stage. Personally can't say it's the greatest of mobile apps. :P

And before I go, have this Ducky GIF.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:44:37 AM by OwlsCantRead »
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
So... any thoughts about this? Is anyone a big enough fan of mobile apps, platform games, and Ducky to genuinely give this thing a shot? I can say though, I'm not used to the controls at all, haven't even beaten the first stage. Personally can't say it's the greatest of mobile apps. :P
Someone threw Ducky into Super Mario! Does Yoshi know about this?? :lol

Anyway, yeah...I'm just going to pass on this weirdness, and partially because I'm a big fan of Ducky. :p The absurdity of this whole thing got a grin out of me for sure, but I can't toss my support to an app developer that stole one of my favorite LBT characters for a weird knockoff game, especially when said knockoff game wants to gain strange permissions over my computer. Thanks for the laughs, though!

And before I go, have this Ducky GIF.

Sheesh, Ducky, take it easy on that caffeine! :opetrie

:lol :lol :lol

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Oh my goodness. This has been quite the discovery indeed. Well thank you for sharing it with us.
:PAli

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I decided not to download it when I heard the words “adware.”

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So having beaten 21/80 levels so far on the emulator I can indeed confirm that it is very bad  :PCera

Digital buttons are the worst, but at least having them mapped to a keyboard is alright. The main issue with this though is that the game never expects you to be able to hit both run and jump buttons at the same time, making it this weird,  inconsistent hassle every time you jump. Sometimes you're able to full hop and sometimes it only shorthops and you have to do a strange run, then full hop jump, then release and press run again to maintain momentum....or maybe not, the game does what it wants.

The level designers are also people who probably make the troll levels in Mario Maker in which the throw invisible blocks in places so you either fall into a pit or hit an enemy (though I think I'm starting to realize where they're hidden as it is somewhat consistent where they're placed)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
The question is who decided to make a Ducky SMB Emulator game? It has to either be LBT fan or someone who sadistically likes watching Ducky fall in pits.   :thinking

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The question is who decided to make a Ducky SMB Emulator game? It has to either be LBT fan or someone who sadistically likes watching Ducky fall in pits.   :thinking
Having seen Flathead stream the game, I am inclined to say that it's just a developer deciding to shill LBT just to attract fans... or more likely kids. Given that this version has been out since at least last Dec and none of us found it, can't say that it worked too well. Plus, they didn't even get Ducky's name right in the app description smh, and even in the GIF I posted you can see the crop lines on Ducky's sprite, haha. But surprisingly, the boss is a reference to the GBA game, which is rather surprising. So I have no idea if this is an elaborate troll or what. 80 maps is surprisingly a decent length for an app, I'll give it that, and with this wonky control scheme it can actually be a decent time-waster for kids, though I would not recommend it as their first LBT experience. :lol
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:42:45 AM by OwlsCantRead »
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I'm going to say something.  I did some research and what I found may or may not change your opinion on this.

Turns out, Super M Games, the creator of the "game", they have another game called "Hero Storm - Super Pirate Adventure".  It is also a platformer.  In fact, it is VERY similar to "The Land Before Time: Dinosaur Land Adventure".  Right down to the fact the ONLY change was Ducky replacing the hero.  Yes, it's that much of a carbon copy.

All of this is making me VERY skeptical about this game.  Heck, I wonder if it'll get a lawsuit soon, all things considered.  I question if they had a license to use Ducky like this.  Much less the obvious Super Mario assets.

I'll be doing more research on this.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
They undoubtedly just pushed this out with a care in the world. There's a lot of mobile trash games that get away with this just due to shear volume of them. Would be a logistical nightmare to try and take them all down.

And yeah I would believe that for sure they would just copy and paste this with small tweaks to it. Gotta maximize the ad revenue per work put in ratio right?  :PCera

Of course I'm still determined to beat the game. Now half way through it  :bestsharptooth

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
For a guy that hasn't played mobile games in years, this was quite the surprise. Never in a million years would I have thought that there was an LBT mobile game out there, so this was definitely a very neat find. The chance to see Ducky twerk/tea bag is one that should not be disregarded. :duckyhappy

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Thing is that it is NOT LBT mobile game. It's just some Mario rip-off with Ducky sprite, and nothin else. And it seems that "epic orhestral soundtrack" is the same single for all levels.
I was disappointed yesterday, watching stream video.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:10:12 AM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Turns out, Super M Games, the creator of the "game", they have another game called "Hero Storm - Super Pirate Adventure".  It is also a platformer.  In fact, it is VERY similar to "The Land Before Time: Dinosaur Land Adventure".  Right down to the fact the ONLY change was Ducky replacing the hero.  Yes, it's that much of a carbon copy.
Since it was the only other app they released on the Play Store, I did notice their other game but glossed over over it, didn't pay close attention enough to the fact it was just a character swap. Makes sense though, given that none of the other assets match a LBT setting. Flathead also has a point, I don't think it will go as far as a suit (the game is free and doesn't charge microtransactions, just in-game ads/currency, which mitigates the chances of monetary compensation over trademarks), so at worst I believe it will be quietly removed, which is why I went to the effort of archiving this and procuring the apk files while I could, because this thing could get taken down at any time, haha. Play Store doesn't have strict quality control compared to the Apple App Store, and frankly Universal has more to worry about then some knockoff mobile game starring Ducky. If anything, I'd frankly be more concerned over where they got the Ducky sprites from. Several of us commented on stream that it seemed plausibly taken from somewhere else, possibly Deviantart, highly likely without permission... though maybe they made it themselves.

For a guy that hasn't played mobile games in years, this was quite the surprise. Never in a million years would I have thought that there was an LBT mobile game out there, so this was definitely a very neat find. The chance to see Ducky twerk/tea bag is one that should not be disregarded. :duckyhappy
Unironically the best thing about this "game". :Mo

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

It’s horrifying!  :rhett_ohno :opetrie :sducky

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Sad, the only thing LBT related in this game is literally Ducky. :slap

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Sad, the only thing LBT related in this game is literally Ducky. :slap

Which makes it suspect. “I sense skullduggery afoot.”

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A little late to posting this but now having beaten that game I can give my full thoughts on it. It's...not good  :PCera

Like I mentioned before, invisible blocks continue to be the leading cause of my deaths in the game. Sometimes there will just be a whole section of them over a late game enemy that can't be killed by jumping on them or with the fireball

I think I sorta figured out how the controls worked. So like mentioned before, you can only run or jump, can't do both at the same time. If you're not running and fully press the jump you will full hop. If you're running for a while then jump you can also do a full hop. There seems to be this weird grey zone though where if you don't run for long enough and jump you only short hop, which is very annoying and also resulted in a good amount of deaths. From what I could tell you need to have at least 2 tiles worth of running (or have momentum from another run jump) to get the full hop. There were times where you could get into an almost speedrun like rhythm of running, then jumping (for long enough to full hop), let go of run and press it again to regain run momentum in the air and repeat.

The moving platforms had some wonky things going on, especially near the edges of them. I think the ones that slanted when you were on one side of them were the worst as they would shoot you off in that direction if you weren't careful. There were a few times in which I was jumping back and forth on them like a mad man to regain balance haha.

An amusing part in the last world in which there were these blocks that were apart of the roof that didn't have any collision on them so I just walked through them for a good chunk of the level.

Bosses were generally quite lame and really basic as one would expect. The last 2 were extremely exploitable with being in complete safety on a platform while you pepper them with fireballs.

Once you beat the final boss you find out via text that you finally saved Max....which you never hear about ever (and doesn't look like it's in Owls' synopsis so I dunno :p

Overall though it honestly was a lot of fun to stream it on Discord and laugh about it with other members so thanks everyone for joining in on the ride!

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Now for the important question, @Flathead770. Would you recommend this game to anyone else?
:PCera

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For sure not on mobile :p

If you want to play it on an emulator where you can at least set up keyboard controls then if you're curious I'd say go for it. Just make sure to stream it on Discord so we can all laugh at your misery  :PCera

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
For sure not on mobile :p

If you want to play it on an emulator where you can at least set up keyboard controls then if you're curious I'd say go for it. Just make sure to stream it on Discord so we can all laugh at your misery  :PCera

So what you are saying is that only those that watch a person play get to have any fun, while the player is coerced to lose all of their sanity? Sounds like a good deal. :rolleyes

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I mean I streamed it and I had fun. It all depends on your attitude I guess  :bestsharptooth