The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

It's like they're in-vit-ing me IN

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Welcome to The Gang Of Five, LoyfeCycleProtector! :D (For some reason I find myself mentally pronouncing your name in my pirate voice. :lol)

Quote from: LoyfeCycleProtector,Feb 3 2013 on  04:23 PM
So about me: I'm 20, and an honors student at my university. I'm aiming for an eventual degree in marine biology.
Cool! :wow Which varieties of marine life in particular (if any) are you interested in studying?

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Pangea! That's the sister word to my favorite word in the world: Panthalassa. And my name, and the title of this thread, are pronounced like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAWxw0wmeNQ

And I'm fascinated by invertebrates, particularly mollusks and cnidarians. And Arthropods. And Echinoderms. And Centophores....  And Platyhelmenthies. In fact, all invertebrates excite me, I can't decide which I love most!

And thanks for the warm welcome!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: LoyfeCycleProtector,Feb 4 2013 on  02:43 PM
Pangea! That's the sister word to my favorite word in the world: Panthalassa.
Really? Wow, I've never met anyone whose favorite word was so closely related to my screen name. Or anyone whose favorite word was the name of a prehistoric ocean or land mass :o (Forgive my random rambling; I have a tendency to think out loud, especially when I'm surprised. :oops)

And my name, and the title of this thread, are pronounced like this:
(Sorry, had some trouble viewing the video sooner because YouTube's being problematic for me. :rolleyes) *Finally manages to watch video* Huh, the pronunciation of "life cycle" doesn't sound as different from just saying it normally as I expected. :oops On that note, here's
here's what the aforementioned pirate accent I find myself using to pronounce your name sounds like :lol (though my version has a bit of a stronger "oi" sound for long 'I' sounds, like in "loyfe cycle").

And I'm fascinated by invertebrates, particularly mollusks and cnidarians. And Arthropods. And Echinoderms. And Centophores.... And Platyhelmenthies. In fact, all invertebrates excite me, I can't decide which I love most!
Neat! :D (You're also the first prospective marine biologist I can remember ever meeting who's told me that they're specifically interested in marine invertebrates.)

There are a lot of sea creatures (a lot of creatures, period) that fascinate me, but I have to say that cephalopods are probably at the top of the list as far as which ones I would love to work with. I only have a minor in Biology, but in the last few days I've started speculating about getting into cephalopod research.

And you're welcome for the warm welcome! :smile

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh man. Cephalopods are sooooo baller <3. I imagine those are pretty competitive lab oppertunities, though, because really, who doesn't think Cephalopoda are awesome?
And now I get what you mean by the pirate accent  :DD

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: LoyfeCycleProtector,Feb 4 2013 on  03:35 PM
Oh man. Cephalopods are sooooo baller <3. I imagine those are pretty competitive lab oppertunities, though, because really, who doesn't think Cephalopoda are awesome?
Hmm…you're probably right about that, now that I think about it. :unsure: Oh well; if cephalopods don't work out, I might go into bats instead.

As long as we're talking about cephalopods, did you hear about the giant squid being filmed in the wild for the first time? :! The Discovery Channel aired a special on it last week; overall I didn't like the show that much, but when they finally did show the squid footage, it was awesome! :wow

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Ooh, we're learning about bats in mammalogy. That's always an open field: second largest group of mammals after rodents with a lot of mysteries still undiscovered.

And I did hear about that. I was pretty excited to hear: those are always a hot topic of study. Whenever I see one, though, I just think about how petrified I would be if I saw one while diving. I saw a basking shark off of the Chesapeake once, and let me tell you, gentle giant or not, when you see a fish with a six foot wide circular mouth gaping and swimming toward you, all you can think of is: AAAAAAAHHHHHHH! It was awesome, though. But just like a basking shark has the big mouth, giant squid have those humongous eyes :blink: That would sure freak me out.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
WHOA! You saw a basking shark while diving?! :blink: That's incredible! :wow I can definitely understand how seeing one of those would send your heart rate into the stratosphere; I've always thought they looked pretty intimidatingómore so than whale sharks, even though they're smallerówith such wide gapes, even if they are harmless (Well, unless they accidentally swept their tails into you or something…). Still, I would find it awesome to see one while in the water…though I'd have to learn to scuba dive first. :p About how far away were you from the shark when you saw it?

As for giant squid, personally I'd be more afraid of the giant beak and hundreds of saw-toothed sucker discs, :p but I agree that it would be pretty unnerving making eye contact with a creature whose eyes are nearly the size of your head. :blink:

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Feb 4 2013 on  02:36 PM
(For some reason I find myself mentally pronouncing your name in my pirate voice. :lol)

You're gonna get me started now!  :lol
Hey, Loyfe...would you be interested in reading my fanfic Venatione Venatus at some point? Shameless self-promotion I know, but just in case... :lol

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
To Pangea, it was a good 30 meters away or more. They're not very brave fish. In came in to about 25ish meters, then it snapped it's mouth closed and swam away. I do consider myself very lucky to have seen one in the wild: they're not uncommon, but they're not in places people usually dive. As to Dosu, I'd love to read it. If you want, I'll show you a small fragment I just wrote up today for my story (okay, not that small, but a fragmËnt in the grand scheme of things) that I may or may not put in the final draft.
I'll get right into reading it after I get home and make some dinner.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 And welcomt to GoF! :DD .
 I hope you'll have a great time here.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: LoyfeCycleProtector,Feb 4 2013 on  06:33 PM
To Pangea, it was a good 30 meters away or more. They're not very brave fish. In came in to about 25ish meters, then it snapped it's mouth closed and swam away. I do consider myself very lucky to have seen one in the wild: they're not uncommon, but they're not in places people usually dive. As to Dosu, I'd love to read it. If you want, I'll show you a small fragment I just wrote up today for my story (okay, not that small, but a fragmËnt in the grand scheme of things) that I may or may not put in the final draft.
I'll get right into reading it after I get home and make some dinner.
Thanks! And sure, I'd love to see it!

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Welcome to the GOF Loyfe! We're very glad to have you with us.  :DD

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Welcome to the GOF! I'm always late with the welcomes.  :oops  :wave

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LoyfeCycleProtector,Feb 4 2013 on  02:43 PM
And my name, and the title of this thread, are pronounced like this:
haha, I get it now^^ Life Cycle!
Whew, can you say observant? Cuz I apparently can't. I'm slow like that, mea culpa :slap

...BTW, I seem to be pronouncing your username in a rather butchered attempt at an Aussie accent :DD
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein