The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Sharptooth's shaggy uncle discovered

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I happened by this news the other day, and it was so exciting that I decided I had to share it.

The new dinosaur is called Yutyrannus huali, meaning "beautiful feathered tyrant". It was a close relative of Tyrannosaurus rex that lived in northern China in the early Cretaceous, about 125 million years ago. Three specimens were discovered preserved together (suggesting that it may have been social), all of them with patchy skin impressions showing six-inch-long filamentous feathers, suggesting a coat of downy plumage that probably covered much of the body.

Yutyrannus isn't the first feathered tyrannosaur to be discovered: Dilong paradoxus, a primitive, six-foot-long member of the family described in 2004, holds that title. And it wasn't nearly as big as Tyrannosaurus rex, either. But at 30 feet (9 meters) long and weighing 1–1.5 tons, Yutyrannus is the largest confirmed feathered dinosauróand, if you think about it, the largest feathered creature of any kindóyet discovered. (The previous record holder, the 7-foot-long Beipiaosaurus inexpectus, is shown alongside Yutyrannusóalong with a couple of pterosaurs, maybe Feilongus youngi?óin this illustration.)

This find is exciting because it's long been debated whether theropods with fuzzy ancestors lost their feathers when they grew to large sizes (similar to how large mammals like elephants and rhinos have less hair to better keep cool). Yutyrannus's habitat is believed to have been colder than that of many other dinosaurs, so it's still possible that it was the woolly mammoth to T. rex's elephant. But it proves that "large dinosaur" does not necessarily equal "no feathers". So the next time any of you dinosaur artists out there draws a big theropod in a nippy climate, feel free to make it fuzzy! :smile

News links:
Archosaur Musings
Not Exactly Rocket Science

P.S. Don'tcha just love the little goatees the artist puts on the Yutyrannus? :lol I don't think that was evidenced in any of the feather impressions, but it sure looks good. The first thing I thought of when I saw that was Sky's wingtail character Aizon. Hey, Sky, do you know what this means? A professional paleoartist had the same idea for one of his scientific illustrations that you had for your own feathered dinosaur character! Even if there's no direct evidence for it, he endorses feather goatees as plausible theropod plumage! That's pretty cool. :!

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Apr 5 2012 on  09:18 AM
P.S. Don'tcha just love the little goatees the artist puts on the Yutyrannus? :lol I don't think that was evidenced in any of the feather impressions, but it sure looks good!
The artist wanted to pimp him out, I guess.  :lol

Cool news, btw, Pangaea. And it's nice to see you back too. :)

For a while now, I've thought a funny gag would be Chomper having a nightmare that he's covered in feathers, then him running to tell ruby, and she says it wasn't real. :DD
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
This dino looks neat on the picture. I wonder what color his feather really were, though... Perhaps the males of the species used a bright and complex pattern to attract the females? Could it be that they had a giant feather tail like peacocks nowadays do? :)