The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Venatione Venatus

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How do you write that fast :blink:

This chapter is, as VV in general, very interesting, well-written (especially the action scenes are great!) and, well... it makes me hate Ulciscor and his Bridgeon Brigade! :anger Which is a good thing btw ;)
Inactive, probably forever.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks.  :DD And I hope I'll get even better in the action scenes coming up...

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Whoooaa... was not expecting that O_o

So many feels from this chapter, certainly hope things start to turn around for the better because this... this is just not wokring :(
Poor Kosh, but at least this should give the Valleians a reason to fight now.

Lol the fight scene with the sharpteeth was pretty funny in a way, I almost thought the two groups would meld as they'd be far more powerful that way. A little surprused about Seizon getting his tail kicked, but I guess it was only a matter of time :lol
I love Pyron's character more and more, he's really a true friend and guardian, and seems like he'd be a better leader at times. At least Seizon admitted his mistake XDD

Dash it all! Do you delight in suspense? Wait, i know the answer already. YES! Dosu, you are evil!!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Gonna do a deeper review...
Ulciscor even knows Bron? Man this is weird! :blink:
Whoa! I had never thought Thicknose would even attempt to fight...

REDCLAW! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!
Sure they couldn't just wait any longer so Redclaw might have been useful...

Seizon... you stupid... well, he survived the fight although he was heavily outnumbered. It is a little unlikely but they're the strongest pack ever, 'member ;)

Whooops, Redclaw isn't as useful as I first thought :bang

What a battle! Chomper sure wasn't amused :DD
Both fight scenes are well done and cruelly exciting!

Ah, good ol' Ulciscor... nothing has changed, he's still like in the old days :lol

Topsy, Thicknose and Kosh... nice idea to let them start a rebellion :yes

This fight, you too wrote pretty well though they were more successful than they actually should have been or my imagination of the Bludgeoner's strenght is wrong...

I don't regret voting this fic 10/10 ;) Keep it up, matey! :lol:

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thank you!  :DD

And here's the next chapter...WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME, I'M LIKE A DEMON PHANTOM WHATSIT THING WITH ALL THE POWER OF WHO KNOWS WHAT, WHY DO I INSIST ON UPDATING SO QUICKLY...?
Ahem...please enjoy.

Chapter Ten: Pyron’s Tale

The residents of the Great Valley were hardly given time to recover from Kosh’s death when Ulciscor made his next move.

“You two,” he snarled at Topps and Thicknose. “For your crimes, you shall be imprisoned in the secret caverns!”

So saying, four Bludgeoners seized them and wrestled them towards the caverns, but restraint was hardly needed. Seeing Kosh crushed to death before their very eyes had done much to suck out the last of their fighting spirit. The glassy look they gave the anxious population as they were dragged off was one of defeat.

But there was one more nasty twist of fate in store for Topps as he and Thicknose sat sullenly in the cave and a massive boulder was slowly shoved in front of them. Many leaf-eaters had followed them Bludgeoners to the cave entrance, and despite the trepidation, were whispering words of encouragement to the prisoners.

“Don’t worry! You’ll be out soon!”
“Continue the fight…”
“We’ll wait for you…”

But Topps suddenly noticed that his wife, who was standing amongst the crowds, was remaining silent.

Swallowing hard, he leaned forward as close as he could to her and whispered,

“Tria…I…”

Tria shook her head.

“How could you do this?” she hissed. “Don’t you see how dangerous they are?”

“Well…”

“And what about your daughters?” Tria demanded. “How would they cope if their father ended up going the same way as Kosh just because he defied someone?”
“But we can’t let him get away with it!” Topps insisted. “I was fighting to make living in our Valley better for Tricia…and Cera, when she comes back…”

Tria sighed.

“Perhaps. But they wouldn’t find their dad dying worth having the Valley liberated. Their family is more important than their home, and if you’re going to have that sort twisted perspective Topsy…I’m afraid…I can’t do this.”

Topps’ blood ran cold.

“This?” he muttered. “What’s this?”

Tria took a deep breath.

“Us,” she said. “I’m sorry Topps. I wanted it to work too.” She gave him a sad smile, but only got a expression of disbelief in return.

“I’m sorry Topps,” she repeated. “But it’s over. I really hope you get released soon. But after that things will have to change. Goodbye.”

Before Topps could say anything, Tria had walked away, and he retreating figure was the last thing he saw before the boulder was placed firmly over the entrance, imprisoning him and Thicknose inside.

“I don’t care what you say Torq,” Nott snapped. “I am not going down that tunnel!”

“But we can’t let ëem get away!” Torq insisted, growling softly.

“I have to admit Nott,” Yuti, who was casually leaning against the wall, added. “You were all for pursuing them earlier, and we have the upper hand. Why stop now? We know this area better than they do.”

Nott glared at her.

“I didn’t ask for your opinion,” he hissed.

Yuti laughed.

“No. You never ask for anyone’s opinion. You just rely on your swollen head.” She smirked. “I think you and that bladeback would get on well…”

Nott kicked the wall angrily.

“Whatever…the point is, there have got to be better ways of pursuing these intruders. Like you said, we know this area better than them. We have to make sure they don’t find the shiny stones.”

Yuti rolled her eyes.

“You and your bloody shiny stones…”

“They belonged to the Stingy Fastbiter!” Nott declared, his eyes slightly mad. “And they’re all we’ve got to live for…”

Yuti’s smirk slipped slightly, and she nodded.

“If you can call it that…the point is, I just live for the sake of living. I’ve got nothing left to live for. That was taken from me a long time ago…no shiny stones that probably came with the cave to begin with are going to fill that space…”

“You mean…” Torq looked confused. “There was no Stingy Fastbiter…?”

“WHEREVER they came from,” Nott interrupted loudly. “They’re ours, not theirs. And we need to do everything we can to make sure these biters are dealt with permanently.”

Torq and Yuti gave affirmative nods.

The evening began to settle in, and the setting Bright Circle was casting a magnificent orange glow over the Fanged Forest. Ferox was just beginning to get to his feet, having almost recovered from his injuries from his fight with Kai. He plodded slowly over to join Xal, who was gazing up at the sky, apparently lost in thought.

Ferox cleared his throat.

Xal turned, and was taken by surprise. “Oh, Ferox. You’re standing?”

Ferox nodded. “So it would seem,” he replied.

Xal slowly smiled.
“Excellent,” he said. “You’ll soon be fit enough to serve as a commander in the Piercer Platoon.”

Ferox blinked, wondering if he’d misheard.

“You what?” he said eventually.

“Piercer Platoon,” Xal repeated. “Our foot-soldiers that we will use to vanquish Ulciscor’s Bludgeon Brigade.”

“Wow…” Ferox murmured. “I wasn’t even aware we had an army…”

“Well, they were used when we attacked the Great Valley that first time. And Gigas has been building them up over the years so that they’re stronger and more ruthless than before.”

“Oh yes…” Tyra murmured, walking over with a look of dissatisfaction on her face. “I do remember you saying he could amass a large army…”

“Quite,” Xal replied, his smile slipping slightly. “What is it with this one?” he thought. “She can’t seem to accept me as her leader…I shall have to do something about her…soon.”

The tension was broken when a belly-dragger waddled up to them.

“Hey, Xal,” she said. Xal glanced down.
“Yes Dil?” he asked.

“A word from Gigas,” she said. “He says the troops are all ready, present and correct. He’d like you to come and inspect them.”

“Certainly,” Xal replied, his smile returning. “Come, you two,” he insisted. “I would like you to come and see our foot-soldiers with me.”

Ferox glanced at his mother.

“You don’t have to-” But she was already shaking her head.

“No. Son, I would like to see what Gigas and Xal constitutes as correct…”

Ferox had to admit – the Piercer Platoon were impressive.

They comprised of slender, yet powerful medium-sized sharpteeth, all with powerful jaws, long arms tipped with neatly deadly claws and a strange, triangular-shaped at the base of their tail. Their hide was a sinister leathery black and their eyes yellow and, in Tyra’s opinion anyway, unfeeling.
But even she had to admit – the marching exercise they were doing in unison was certainly well disciplined. They certainly looked like they could be highly useful and effective soldiers in the right hands. But, she thought, as she looked at Xal with the mad gleam in his eye, were Xal’s hands the right ones?

“Very good,” Xal complimented, his grin broadening. “You should keep this up, Gigas.”

Gigas smiled back.

“Oh, I shall…”

Ferox had a faraway look in his eye as he gazed at these Piercers. He was supposed to be a commander of them? Well – he could think of worse positions to be in…

Xal was thrilled with his new foot-soldiers. As everyone else settled down for the night, he continued to watch them in the forest clearing, marching and responding to commands he bellowed at them. He thought he was the only one around, and so it surprised him when he was approached by Tyra.

“Pretty striking stuff, eh?” she murmured as she sidled close to him.

Xal glanced at her.

“Yes,” he said. “And they’re going to be our key to success. Our soldiers will be better than their’s…”

“I’m glad you think so,” Tyra continued. “Perhaps then you’ll stop using kids to do your dirty work for you.”

Xal stared.
“What are you talking about?” he hissed.

“Saureen,” Tyra replied, looking him dead in the eye. “My only granddaughter. You sent her, as well as your own boy, on some crackpot ëmission.’ How could you use kids as weapons?”

Xal seethed.

“For your information Tyra,” he snarled. “Seizon isn’t even my son, he’s my stepson…”

Tyra gave a derisive snort.

“And that makes it all OK does it?”

“Secondly,” Xal snapped, cutting over her. “When we were being attacked by Ulciscor’s henchman, the safest thing to do for them was to send them away. They might as well do something useful to me whilst they’re there, surely?”

Tyra nodded.

“Right…I see…so it’s got nothing to do with the whole ëAmbassador’ thing, then?”

Xal’s eyes widened.

“Yes…” Tyra replied lightly. “I know all about that. Dil told me so – she seemed to be under the impression that everyone knew about it. But you’ve only created that codeword so that anxious parents and grandparents like me and Ferox can’t know what you’re up to!”

Xal didn’t reply.

“Surely the mission for her and Seizon was to go directly into the Great Valley?” Tyra continued, sounding appalled. “Do you realise how much danger that puts them in? Not just from the Valley residents, but from Ulciscor as well?”

Xal still didn’t reply.

“I’m sorry Xal,” Tyra pressed on. “But I can’t take any more risks. When Saureen returns, me, her and Ferox will be leaving this forest, and we shall take no further part in your revolution.”

At this, Xal did respond.

“WHAT?”

“I’m sorry,” Tyra continued. “I understand your dream Xal, and it is a noble dream. But going about it the way you are is simply immoral. As a parent and grandparent, by sole duty is to protect my loved ones, and so that is what I shall do. I may even send a flyer messanger to speed up the process. Goodbye.”

And she turned and walked away without a backwards glance.

Xal watched her depart, his blood boiling.

“You shouldn’t have interfered Tyra,” he thought. “Now you know too much. And I can’t let you disrupt my plans.”

He turned and walked in the opposite direction at a quick pace, until he found Gigas briefing a group of Piercers.

“Gigas,” he said. “I have a task for you and the Platoon.”

“Yes?” Gigas looked eager.

Xal took a deep breath.

“It’s Ferox’s mother,” he explained. “Tyra – she’s become a liability. I need you to conduct a Piercer operation that is efficient enough for Ferox not to suspect anything. She’s declaring her intentions to leave, and we can’t let that happen. No longer can she defy us. As quickly as possible, we need to take her out.”

It was a morose picture.

Littlefoot and the others continued to walk with Kai throughout the day. Even though they had no idea where they were going, they didn’t dare say this. In fact, they didn’t dare say anything.

Littlefoot could not get the awful image of the impaled Sharptooth out of his head. In was seemingly permanently ingrained there, determined to haunt him throughout his days and sleep-stories for many years to come. But what was even worse was the fact that Kai was prepared to do it – would he even hesitate to do the same to them if they declared their intentions to leave him?

Eventually, the Bright Circle began to dip below the horizon, staining the sky orange, and Kai suddenly stopped.

Everyone watched him nervously.

“Right,” he said, turning around to face them all, the first words he had spoken since he had killed the Sharptooth. “Time we rested for the night I think.”

Though slightly non-plussed, none of them dared argue. Littlefoot exchanged a brief glance with Cera and Ruby, but hardly needed to. Their expressions read the same: What the hell are we going to do now?

Kai curled his spiked tail around his neck, and seemingly fell asleep, but at the same time was almost completely silent. It was eerie how quietly he slept, but Ruby took this as opportunity to communicate with the rest of them.

“Don’t worry,” she whispered. “Just get some sleep now – we’ll think of something else in the morning.” She glanced nervously at Kai’s form. In the dark it was impossible to tell whether he was asleep or not, but he didn’t react to her statement. Ruby breathed again.

The other five all nodded in agreement to her but didn’t say another word, and just lay down and closed their eyes.

Littlefoot knew he should try and rest. He had been walking pretty much all day – he should have been exhausted. But he was too worried to sleep. For the first time, he thought about his grandparents. They must be out of their minds with anxiousness! How could he have been so selfish? And this ëadventure’ he was on now was far more dangerous than anything else had ever done, with the possible exception of searching for the Valley. The dinosaur he was in the company of was insane and dangerous…how much longer would he last?

In the hope of even some form of comfort, he looked up at the sky hoping to see his mother’s star (for he was convinced dinosaurs turned into stars when they died) but there were too many smoky black sky-puffies tonight. Sighing, he closed his eyes and rolled over. But it was a long time before he finally got to sleep.

As a few trees whistled in the evening wind, and tumbleweeds rolled across the ground, suddenly the still air was split apart by an eager voice.

“Oy, Kai!”

Kai’s eyes flew open immediately. Carefully, he got to his feet and strode silently over to where a slightly comical looking pink flyer was standing on a rock and gazed at him with contempt.

“About time, Rinkus,” he snapped. “I’ve been feigning sleep for hours. But what news?”

Rinkus grinned maliciously.

“It was a success,” he replied. “Ulciscor has successfully taken over the entire Valley and the Bludgeoners rule the roosts.”

“Excellent!” Kai breathed, his grin mad and eerie in the low-light. “I expect I should head back over there then? The sharpteeth must have given us the slip – we’ll get them eventually though. I’ve been leading this lot-” He gestured at the six sleeping young dinosaurs,
“Round in circles for the past few hours. I don’t think they’ve got wind of it, but I did overhear them talking about a ënew plan’ in the morning…”

Rinkus cackled.

“Good luck with that! But I’m afraid the word from Ulciscor is that he doesn’t want you returning just yet.”

Kai frowned.

“Why not?”

“Well…” Rinkus lowered his voice and leaned closer.

“Is there a spiketail amongst those brats?”

“Yes? Why?”

“According to what a Bludgeoner told me, that kid is the son of Ronan and Opal.”

Kai gasped.

“What, seriously?”

“Yes…and so you can see why he shouldn’t be returned to the Valley?”

Kai nodded. “If the residents find out, they’ll want him as the heir to the Valley as supposed to Ulciscor’s nephew.” He gestured behind him again. “I’ll have to make him see sense once I kill the spiketail…that is what Ulciscor wants, correct?”

“Yep,” Rinkus nodded, talking about attempted murder with the same air a sane person would talk about the weather.

“But…” Kai looked troubled. “I can’t make it look too suspicious – Ulciscor’s nephew may not be willing to return if I’ve killed his friend. I’ll have to make the spiketail’s death look accidental…”

“Well…” Rinkus’ evil grin had returned once again. “Just a few miles ahead is a massive river of fast water. He could simply…fall in?”

Kai, twigging what Rinkus was getting at, grinned too, the evil glint in his eye even more apparent.

“Oh yes…” he breathed. “I guess it’s decided then. Tomorrow I shall lead the brat to his watery demise, and then the rest of them back to the Valley.”

And without even thanking his informant, Kai strode away.

Seizon scratched his chin.

“OK,” he said. “So this is basically our situation. We’re trapped in a huge cave network of which the actual size and geography aren’t known. There’s a Sharptooth pack much larger than ours after our blood, with Redclaw patrolling on the outside, a spiked longneck now doubt around somewhere, very little in the way of food, and even more little in the way…of a way out?”

“Yes,” Saureen replied icily. “And you’ve forgotten to mention that it’s all your fault as well.”

The pack had found themselves in a spacious cavern that was thankfully deserted of any of Nott’s henchmen, and that is where they’d been all day, listening out for approaching sharpteeth. Thankfully, nothing had come their way, but as Seizon had said, there was no way out as far as far as they could see.

“The cavern’s very vast,” Lini piped up. “One tunnel must lead to some form of a way out eventually.”

“That’s very true,” Al agreed. “But I don’t think it’s wise we go searching for one right now…it’s the night.”

“How do you know?” Pyron demanded.

“These walls are very sonorous,” Al explained. I was listening to one earlier, and I heard the evening chorus. That’s when a whole load of feathered flyers come to sing in the evening…”

“How do you know this stuff?” Chomper asked, awed.
“Anyway,” Seizon cut across them. “If that’s the case, I suggest we get some sleep before finding a way out of here tomorrow. Everyone agreed?”

Everyone nodded, but then Saureen raised a query.

“What if Nott and the others come for us in the night?”

“Good point,” Seizon noted. “OK – we’ll take night shifts.”

“I’ll go first,” Pyron volunteered.

“Excellent,” Seizon nodded. “Right – night all!”

And with that, he flopped down and prepared to sleep.

Saureen sighed.

“Likes to move things quickly, doesn’t he?” she muttered.

About an hour later, the six sharpteeth not keeping watch were all fast asleep. Well, apart from Chomper. For some reason he simply couldn’t sleep. He rolled over on a different side to his usual, trying to get more comfortable, but it was hopeless – which was strange, as he was more than used to sleeping in caves.

It might have been Lini’s snores, but Chomper was fairly sure that his insomnia had more to do with something, or someone pressing on his mind.

Pyron had been relatively quiet since the fight with Nott and his minions, and had made it almost a duty to be close by to Nycha all the time. This did make some sense – she was his sister after all, but Chomper was well aware that this level of protectiveness from him was not normal. Casting his mind back to fight, he remembered how Yuti had slammed Nycha to the ground and Pyron had immediately rushed to her aid. It was certainly sibling love, but was it possible Pyron’s fear was based on a lot more than just her physical well-being.

He now remembered what Pyron had told him about her earlier.
“Ever since that disastrous episode, Nycha’s trying to prove she’s not weak. I think that’s why she’s so attracted to Seizon – to her, he’s a strong young Sharptooth, who will lead her out of her dark state of mind.”
Perhaps being beaten into the ground by another Sharptooth wasn’t exactly the greatest confidence boost, and Nycha had been getting those degenerate thoughts about herself again? Pyron had evidentally been worried that her dark state of mind would return if she had beaten up more severely. Upon realising this, Chomper found an unnatural rush of sympathy towards Nycha, which was bizarre in its own right – why should he feel sympathy towards someone who had insulted and attacked him? Then again, her entire family had been killed…

Deciding he didn’t want to be kept in the dark any longer and giving up on any more hope of sleep, Chomper got to his feet and slowly crept around his sleeping companions to where Pyron was standing.

Pyron glanced over his shoulder as Chomper approached, but other than that didn’t show any signs of surprise.

“Take a look at this,” Pyron beckoned, placing his foreclaw on the cave wall. Chomper peered closely and noticed a thick line of algae and lichen at a point just above their eye-level. Swallowing nervously, he had little doubt to how it must have gotten there.

“At certain points,” Pyron deduced. “Up to this line must be underwater. I knew some parts of the legend of the Stingy Fastbiter were true…”

“They say he drowned…?” Chomper murmured.

“Exactly…there must be a huge underground river in here somewhere, that rises and falls – at a guess – according to the tides.” He shook his head. “We can’t stay in this cavern much longer, not unless we want to drown…”

Chomper nodded, but soon dismissed it. After all, he was here for a certain reason.

“Pyron?” Chomper queried delicately.

“Yeah?”

“Can I ask…about…?”

“Nycha?” Pyron replied casually. “And the way I reacted when she was attacked?”

Chomper frowned.

“How did you know I was going to ask that?”

Pyron smiled a little sadly.

“I saw it coming a mile off. You were going to ask eventually. Basically, I was worried it would put a knock on her confidence and revert her to a state which…” He shook his head, before absent-mindedly scraping his claw across the lichen.

“Sorry…” Chomper muttered. “If it’s too personal…”

“No,” Pyron shook his head. “It’s about time I got it off my chest anyway.” He turned to face Chomper.

“Chomper – I’m about to give you mine and my sister’s life history. Brace yourself. It’s a story I’ve never told anyone else. I’ve given Seizon a few background details, but the full story is a little more…dramatic.”

“So how come you’re telling me?” Chomper asked.

“Because I trust you,” Pyron replied, smiling at him, a smile that lightened Chomper’s heart a little.

“OK…” Pyron murmured. “I suppose I’d better begin.” He took a deep breath.

“It starts with the pack we were born into,” he said. “Not one like this – big, successful…up to a hundred strong. Made up of fastbiters the tetrarchy thought were elite enough to be part of it.”

“Tetrarchy?”

Pyron nodded. “That’s the name given to the four individuals who were in charge. Everything went through them. The point is, they were obsessed with being the best. Most other packs in the area feared us and large sharpteeth tended to just avoid us. The tetrarchy told us we were the best because we were the best at what we did. Hunting and killing…and the fact that we were completely focused on what we did. And so if anything came up to distract us, it would have absolutely disastrous consequences. And unfortunately, one day my parents sowed the seeds to the biggest distraction of all – they had kids.”

A brilliantly silver feathered fastbiter leant over her nest, her eyes shining with desperation.
“Go on, little one!” she coaxed. “Push, push!”
Tears of delight began to well up in her eyes as a tiny, downy, bright orange head poked out from the eggshell.

“Tion!” she called gleefully, as her mate, a mahogany red fastbiter came over to investigate. Tion gasped in delight also.
“Oh, Saya…” he murmured, nuzzling his wife. “We’ve done it…”

Saya bent lower to help her hatchling break free from the egg, before licking the little one tenderly.

“It’s a boy…” Tion noted. “So…any names?”

Before Saya could reply, she noticed another egg began twitching, the shell cracking…

“Tion!” She whispered hoarsely. “I don’t believe it…it’s another one!”

Soon, Tion and Saya had two wonderful hatchlings – an orange boy called Pyron and a lilac girl called Nycha. The only two survivors in a clutch of ten. But in an unforgiving world, that was as much that could be expected.
And would they even be around that long?

“Well,” came a voice. “This seems to be quite a happy gathering.”

Tion and Saya, automatically picking up their children, turned to face a turquoise fastbiter that had just strode towards them. It was Fang – one of the tetrarchy. He gazed at them with contempt.

“Are you sure you’re ready for this, you two?” he demanded. “Being parents are quite demanding jobs…”

“Well, we’re prepared for that,” Tion replied instantly. “There’s two of us and two of them. It’ll be easy.”

“I sure hope so,” Fang replied. “Otherwise things will go downhill for this pack. And we’ll have to make…” he drew a breath. “Cut-backs.”

“We get the euphemism,” Saya replied icily. “And we hear you.”

“Loud and clear,” Tion added.

Fang nodded.

“Good. Well, I’ll be seeing you two later then…” He then walked away.

“We’ve got to watch our step…” Tion murmured to his wife. “If they think these two are going to be a problem…”

“Our children are blessings,” Saya replied, nuzzling them both. “Not problems. You hear that you two? You are special, and loved with every breath. Nothing is ever going to change that.”

It was a fantastic picture,” Pyron sighed wistfully. “That we were special enough to make the pack function just like the rest of them. We didn’t realise we were singled out differently as kids. We were our own best friends, and thought the pack were the finest group to ever exist…” He started smiling sadly. “We always used to fantasize that we were would one day lead the pack into glory. I mean, there weren’t many other young fastbiters around.”

“How come?” Chomper asked.

Pyron looked him dead in the eye.

“Because…having children was a major distraction. Those who dared go through with it were cut out of the group permanently.”

“You mean…?” Chomper was horrified. “The tetrarchy killed them?”

“I believe so,” Pyron nodded sadly. “They didn’t do the same with our parents – not straight away anyway, because they were some of the best – it was always said that if one of the tetrarchy were to die, one of our parents would take their place. But I think them having us might have coloured their view a bit. And that’s when…it happened…”

“What did?”

“The pack was out hunting a longneck,” Pyron explained. “It was a massive group effort, and the tetrarchy had insisted we had come along to the hunt too. We were old enough by that time…but still too young to do with the thing effectively.” He closed his eyes, the memory obviously painful for him.

“Nycha got scared…” he whispered. “She was scared about hunting a longneck and immediately hopped off. The problem is, she was running straight into the path of another longneck…”

Chomper gasped. “What happened?”

“What do you think happened?” Pyron asked. “Mother went after her and pulled her out of harms’ way. Seems simple enough, but that was at a vital moment when she was supposed to slit the longneck’s throat. This delay meant that they entire pack had to call that hunt off.”

Chomper winced. “And how did that go down?”

“Not well,” Pyron replied, massaging his head as the pain of the past flooded back to him. “The tetrarchy quickly made up their mind. But it was done immensely subtly. One day, they gave my parents the order to chase down some swimmers down below us on a mountainside…the moment they went off to do it there was a massive rockslide…” He closed his eyes again. “They were killed very quickly.”

Chomper gasped.

“The tetrarchy told us it was the swimmers’ fault,” Pyron continued. “But I later came to the conclusion that the entire thing was staged by them. Our parents weren’t elite enough. So they had to be taken out.”

“Didn’t they try to take you out too?” Chomper asked.

“Oh yes…just not then. Subtlety was quite a skill of theirs. They attacked us that very same night, whilst we were asleep.”

Chomper swore. “Cowards,” he said. “You got away OK?”

“Oh we did,” Pyron nodded. “We did – but the worst part came afterwards.

Pyron and Nycha sprinted off into the night, leaping over gullies and not daring to look back, in fear of seeing the tetrarchy in pursuit of them. Pyron was leading Nycha along by her hand and they quickly ducked under a tall tree to rest.

Panting, Pyron sniffed the air.

“I think we’ve given them the slip,” he gasped, relieved.

Nycha was silent. She seemed to be pondering something. Finally, she said,

“So…why are they trying to kill us?”

It was something that had been playing on Pyron’s mind too, but suddenly he saw it. He would have seen it at once if the grief of his parents’ death hadn’t been  on his mind.

“Don’t you see?” he demanded of his sister, sniffing back tears. “They’re making us go the same way as our parents! That’s how they work – they cut out anyone from the pack they deem unfit. That’s why they rubbed out mum and dad…they were spending too much time looking after us and not helping out with the hunting.”

Nycha gazed back at him, confused.

“No Pyron…” she said. “Those flatteeth killed mum and dad…it was their fault. I…” Tears suddenly welled up in her eyes. “I just don’t understand what WE did wrong…”

Pyron was too desperate to get away to stay and try and convince her of the truth, but he later wished he hadn’t been so hasty.

“Come on, Nycha,” he was saying desperately, gesturing to the lizard he had caught. “Come on, eat…you’ve got too…”

But Nycha wasn’t in the mood. She just stared straight ahead, unseeing, unfeeling…it seemed her entire being had been sucked into the night, extinguished…

“And that was the worst part…” Pyron explained, and for the first time, to Chomper’s horror, tears were beginning to well up in his eyes and fall down his face.

“She wouldn’t eat, wouldn’t talk to me…she had just shut off. And for a long time, it felt like I hadn’t just lost my parents, pack and home on that fateful night…but my sister as well…”

He gave a great hearty sniff and the sobs came thicker and faster.

“Until we joined this pack,” he sobbed. “She barely said a word. Everyone here seems to have given her a bit of strength, and Seizon’s acceptance has possibly made her feel like a new person…like she was worthy again…but deep inside…” he closed his eyes and tears dripped onto the stone floor. “Deep inside…I think she still blames herself. She can’t accept that the tetrarchy were corrupt from the beginning and that she did nothing wrong. When she doesn’t blame herself she takes it out on others. Flatteeth, and…you…and I’m so sorry Chomper, I really am…and I’m so afraid…” he swallowed. “So afraid of something happening to her and her never knowing how much she means to me…how much she’s worth…”

Chomper watched as Pyron broke down and continued to sob quietly. Many things were whirring in his head. The words Pyron had spoken seemed so familiar to him.

“Nycha…” he thought. “She’s just like me…I’ve always felt guilty about something beyond my control. The fact that I’m a Sharptooth…and perhaps I too have failed to notice how much I mean to others…and failing to see what’s right before your eyes is a dangerous thing…”

He knelt down beside Pyron.

“Pyron…I take it Nycha isn’t the only one here doing a bit of self-blaming.”

Pyron looked up at him.

“What…?”

Chomper smiled.

“There’s no way you’re responsible for the way she feels…if anything you’re on of the reasons she’s still going…listen, you told me, did you not, that you wanted to hold this whole group together?”

“Yeah…?”

“Well,” Chomper continued. “I believe you can. And I’m sure everyone else does too, especially Nycha, as you’re the only one she ever opens to…and you know you can trust our judgement because this is where you belong. You mean so much to us and we mean a lot to you. You’re part of us, and so this is how you can work so well in it. Bring this group together and make Nycha the cheerful little sister you’ve been telling me about.”

Pyron began to smile.

“I have a dream also,” Chomper continued. “I dream of one day leaf-eaters and sharpteeth living in harmony. It’s a difficult thing to go towards, but I know I have the support of everyone in the Great Valley, and so, for me, that’s the best place to work at it – home is where the heart is. And that’s also where your dreams come to life.”

Pyron placed his hand on Chomper’s shoulder.

“You’ve got my support to,” he said.

Chomper smiled.

“Really?”

Pyron nodded.

“For real,” he said. “Thanks so much Chomper…I think you’re right. When you open up to people, they become friends – people who can support you and get you everywhere in life…I should have seen that a long time ago.”

With that, the two instantly embraced like brothers. It was incredible, Chomper thought. Pyron had always said he’d comfort him and watch out for him. Well, now, he seemed to be returning the favour by doing the same for him.

They released each other.

“Well,” Chomper said. “I’ll take over your night shift. You should get some…”

“Wait a minute,” Pyron muttered, sniffing the air. “Do you smell that?”

Chomper sniffed, and gulped. He recognised that smell as well.

“Yuti?” he murmured. “Nott’s scarlet woman…?”

Pyron stared at him.

“Scarlet…what? That’s an odd thing to say…”

Chomper shrugged. “First term I thought of…”

Pyron chuckled slightly and sniffed again.

“Well, by the smell of things, she’s alone…”

“Yeah,” Chomper agreed. “But…hang on…”

Pyron smelled it too.

“She’s moving away?” He frowned. “Where is she sneaking off to on her own?”

“No idea…” Chomper replied. “But somehow I don’t think it’ll be beneficial to us…”
“Agreed…” Pyron nodded. “Should we go after her?”

Chomper glanced uneasily at the five sharpteeth sleeping behind him.

“We really shouldn’t…” he murmured. “They’re relying on us…”

“Yeah…” Pyron agreed.

There was a pause.

“Should we go after her?” Chomper asked.

“Yeah, alright.”

And so they did…

~0~

And off they go...what is Yuti up to? Only time will tell...I know, of course... :lol So, what did you think of that chapter? What did you think of Pyron and Nycha's backstory, Kai's plans to kill Spike, Xal's plans to kill Tyra, and all that went on between Tria and Topps...?
I grant you, I'm not that good at writing emotional scenes, but I hope you still get the gist of what's been going on anyway.  :p If you have any improvements to suggest, I'll be happy to hear them.   :yes Thanks for reading!!!

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh my! :o
The tension was broken when a belly-dragger waddled up to them.

“Hey, Xal,” she said. Xal glanced down.
“Yes Dil?” he asked.

“A word from Gigas,” she said. “He says the troops are all ready, present and correct. He’d like you to come and inspect them.”

Wel, I gues first thing's first. DIL!! :DD So good to see you and so awful as well! Gaaaah!
And Rinkus, too? Wow, Xal and Ulciscor certainly have their resources... O_o
That was such an awful moment between Topps and Tria, just awful and so painful. Triiiaaaa.... Toooopps... Why must Threehorns be so-so... so- THICKHEADED?!

Ugh at first I really liked Kai, I thought he was pretty cool and he seemed like an okay guy.... but UGH! This chapter and the last really REALLY change my perception of him :bang
I really hope the Gang gets wise sooner than later. Maybe Spike could bite him? XDD

Ohno! Xal! You're such a B________!! Power clouds everyone's vision, i don't think this will end well. All I hope is that Ferox'll get wise soon and maybe be able to help her, since he seems a little lesss.... ahem insane :p

And I loved that moment between Pyron and Chomper; their brother-brother relationship is so well characterized. They both have good heads on their shoulders^^

Keep it coming, I'm edge of my seat!!! *scoot scoot*
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks!  :lol:

And Ichy made an appearance too, in chapter 5. Did you not see him?  :o

And yeah - Pyron's bit was the hardest to write...glad you think I executed it well... :lol

And Kai? Yeah - evil through and through...more of that will come to light later...I'm just glad nobody noticed I misspelled Eykion's name!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Your speed is incredible :blink:

Nice to see Nott, Torq and Yuti out of their perspective instead of Seizon's pack's one (Seizon's summary of their situation is hillarious btw! :lol:). They're too interesting characters :yes

Divorces were even common 65 Million years BC, eh? I actually feel sorry for them. I really do!  

Xal, why so brutal? You need every man (err.. dinosaur) to win this battle (same goes to the Tetrarchy :slap).

I'm very worried about Spike's farewell... Ducky would be heart-broken, literally... :cry

I think you succeeded writing Pyron's actual Tale, the backstory was good (though from the sounds of earlier chapters I rather assumed their parents died in a fight against leaf-eaters, probably Ulciscor's henchmen, but I believe it works well the way you wrote it :yes), there were emotions and a good ol' cliffhanger as well :DD

Well done!

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dosu2Dinner,Aug 26 2013 on  11:35 AM
Thanks!  :lol:

And Ichy made an appearance too, in chapter 5. Did you not see him?  :o
Lol indeed I saw him^^ that was a nice(ish) surprise, too :lol
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
What's this? Well, I've got a knack for planning ahead, so here is the current upcoming chapter list.  :lol However, there are little or no spoilers, and the names and numbers are possibly subject to change...Have a look and cast your theories...

Chapter Eleven: Free-for-All
Chapter Twelve: A True Friend and Guardian
Chapter Thirteen: Blood and Water
Chapter Fourteen: Al’s Revelation
Chapter Fifteen: An Unexpected Return
Chapter Sixteen: The Power of Four
Chapter Seventeen: A Sibling Connection
Chapter Eighteen: A Battle of Brethren
Chapter Nineteen: Help is at hand?
Chapter Twenty: Open Jaws
Chapter Twenty-One: Prisoners
Chapter Twenty-Two: Skirmish in the Fanged Forest
Chapter Twenty-Three: Eve of War
Chapter Twenty-Four: Preparations
Chapter Twenty-Five: Second Battle of the Great Valley part 1
Chapter Twenty-Six: Second Battle of the Great Valley part 2
Chapter Twenty-Seven: A Sudden Turn
Chapter Twenty-Eight: He Who Once Called Him Father
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Rain-Washed Predators
Chapter Thirty: The End of the Beginning

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
O_o holy--! Dude!
:lol well, you've got ore gumption and patience than I do, I'll give you that... and some of these titles... OMG suspenseful and thrilling! And terrifying! GAAAAH!
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Gumption?

And thanks! Glad you like!  :lol  Which chapter titles do you like the look of?

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
:lol Whoops, forgot to mention. The species the Piercer's belong to: Concavenator corcovatus.

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dosu2Dinner,Aug 29 2013 on  03:33 PM
Gumption?

And thanks! Glad you like!  :lol  Which chapter titles do you like the look of?
Al's Revelation sounds intriguing, and I can only imagine what He Who Once Called Him Father will entail, pun fully intended^^

Oh, Gumption means like initiative, assertiveness, resourcefulness :)
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oh, Gumption means like initiative, assertiveness, resourcefulness smile.gif

Oh, well I thank you!  :yes

Al's Revelation sounds intriguing, and I can only imagine what He Who Once Called Him Father will entail, pun fully intended^^

Well, I'm glad. I hope you find them interesting when they're out...

And why not make that sooner? I shall start on Chapter 11 soon...

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Here's the next chapter!  :lol Be careful not to read until you've read the last one...this is rather battle-filled, so I hope you find my action writing OK.

Chapter Eleven: Free-for-all

Chomper could hear the dawn chorus twittering into life as he and Pyron crept through the cave, following the scent of Yuti, who remained alone. It was certainly curious as to why she would remain alone, but Chomper wasn’t really in the mood to be curious. Pyron’s story and their pursuit of this girl had taken all night and he hadn’t got a wink of sleep. Seizon had evidently forgotten about his night shifts.

Yawning, Chomper voiced a new opinion to Pyron.

“Shouldn’t we just go back?” he suggested. “I don’t think she on her own is going to do much harm…”

“I disagree,” Pyron replied. “And if I’m completely honest…” he grinned sheepishly. “I don’t actually know the way back…”

“You…what?”

Pyron just shrugged helplessly.

“Well, now we’ve gotten this far, it can’t actually hurt to-”

He paused, and Chomper could see why. Yuti’s scent had led them to another steep, twisting downwards tunnel.

“Ah,” Pyron murmured. “Another one…”

“Should we go down it?” Chomper asked.

Pyron considered briefly.

“I don’t see why not,” he said, and promptly slid down, Chomper reluctantly following.

To his relief, it wasn’t as long as the other one had been, but when he got to the bottom, something severe stung his tired eyes.

“Whoa…” was all Pyron could say.

As Chomper squinted, he could see exactly what Pyron was referring to.

Shiny Stones.

The entire cavern was full of shiny stones, their reflective power put into sharp focus by the strangely luminescent rocks and a weak light that seemed to be coming from an unspecified hole in the ceiling. It seemed that that part of the legend was true – there were Shiny Stones in this cave network. But these weren’t like the small, pretty little ornaments that Tria and others liked to keep around the Valley. These were big, smooth, over-bearing structures, which showed only reflections of Chomper all around the place, giving him a nasty, trapped feeling.
Instinctively, he moved closer to Pyron.

“This is starting to give me a headache…” he murmured, closing his eyes.

It was an easy mistake to make.

“Chomper – watch out!” Pyron suddenly yelled, forcibly pushing him the side and also side-stepping himself to avoid something that came flying out of nowhere and struck the ground millimetres from his foot.

It took Chomper a few seconds to realise that it was another shiny stone – but this time, small, sleek, thin, and imbedded in the stone ground.

“Are…are they really that sharp?” Chomper murmured, as Pyron plucked to sparkling end out of the cave floor

“Yes!” came a delighted voice, and they both turned to see Yuti standing atop a large shiny stone imbedded into the ground, her snow-white scales glittering and making her look much like a shiny stone herself.

“And that,” she continued. “Is what makes them perfect weapons! Not only are they sinisterly sharp, their reflective power makes a whole group of them worthy to give you headaches and make you feel claustrophobic…”

She suddenly leapt off of her vantage point and made straight for Pyron, who bit at her side in retaliation, but she soon kicked him in the gut causing the shiny stone to clatter away from him. She then made for Chomper, whose fatigue and claustrophobia made him a much slower reactor. She promptly flattened him, and he was only saved by Pyron when he rammed into her. She quickly dashed back to her vantage point again on top of the shiny stone, and due to the many reflections of her in the various stones at different positions, Pyron found that it was difficult to see where she would be striking from next. And if that weren’t bad enough (he glanced nervously at his weary companion) Chomper didn’t seem to be in any fit state to fight her off.

“What’s this for?” Pyron demanded of her.

“For?” Yuti smirked at him. “I knew someone was going to come and see what I was doing. And I’m doing exactly what Nott asked me to do. Hem some nosey parkers into this place – what’s known as Headache Cave. He knows I’m the best at messing with certain individuals heads just before I kill them…I wonder which one of you will fall first…?”

Seizon paced around the cavern anxiously.

“Any luck?” he called out for the third time.

“I’m afraid not…” Al replied, walking over to him. “All evidence suggests they left this area for a still unspecified purpose and either have simply gotten lost or…”

The other scenario didn’t need to be said.

Seizon clenched and unclenched his fists. This had turned into a complete disaster.

“If Xal finds out that I lost Chomper…” he muttered.

Saureen shot him a scathing look.

“Is that all you care about?” she demanded. “Our comrades could be dead, and you’re just moaning about what your dear stepdad would say??”

Seizon glared back at her.

“No…no, of course not. Of course I’m worried for their well-beings. I’m just saying that the problem of completing our mission for Xal is also on the line here…anyway…” he changed the subject quickly.

“We need to find Nott. If Chomper and Pyron have fallen victim to his thugs, he’ll know about it…”

“Are we sure we shouldn’t just follow any scents we can pick up around the cave?” Lini suggested. “If they’re still alive, we can find them then.”

“Yeah…” Nycha murmured, speaking for the first time since her brother was declared missing. She stood up and strode straight towards Seizon, venom in her eyes.

“You’d better find my brother, you Son of a Tar Pit, or I’ll slit your throat where you stand!”

Seizon just stared at her. It seemed that she had completely flipped. Pyron must mean an awful lot to her, especially if his disappearance drove her to threaten her crush! She was seething, obviously trying to control her breathing and froth was starting to build at the corners of her mouth.

Lini quickly came forward and put a hand on Nycha’s shoulder.

“Don’t worry Nycha! We’ll find them. I promise.”

Seizon nodded.

“Yes. Yes we will, that’s our top priority. The next is getting out of this damn cave network.”

He paused.

“Do you hear something…?” he asked the others.

Before they had time to reply, something burly and jet-black had rammed straight into him, knocking him to the floor. It was Torq. And somehow they had all managed to not smell him or see him before it was too late.

Torq was grinning that evil grin of his, licking his teeth as he spoke.

“Alright Seizon…this is end of the line for you!”

Seizon kicked out at him, catching him in the jaw. Al took advantage of him being knocked back and immediately sunk his teeth into Torq’s upper thigh. He was soon helped by Lini, who quickly rammed into the burly Sharptooth, knocking him to the ground.

But this fight was going too well to be true, and soon Saureen emitted a high-pitched scream as Nott, who had snuck up behind her bit her hard in the back. She twisted round in an attempt to engage him in combat, but that wasn’t a wise decision as his ferocious teeth scraped down her back leaving deep gouge marks among her elegant stripes.

In retaliation, she bit him right in the face. Nott groaned in pain, but as he began to jerk his head from side to side, the horns atop his crown grazed Saureen’s chin fiercely, and whilst she was distracted, he gave her a powerful kick that sent her flying across the cave, landing with a thud on her back. She coughed as blood began to trickle out of her mouth.

Seizon sprinted towards Nott and took a swipe at him with his ferocious claws, but Nott simply leapt out of the way, and now the entire cave was full of growling sharpteeth, all of whom seemed to exist to do Nott’s bidding.

But Nycha suddenly noticed that Yuti was missing from the group. After putting two and two together, her concern for her brother doubled…

Lini saw her eyes widen in fear and whispered to her,

“Don’t worry – if only Yuti’s missing then it’s a case of two against one with Pyron and Chomper.”

“Yes…” Nycha murmured, her eyes unfocused. “Yes…”

A sinister grin was plastered over Nott’s face.

“Fantastic…” he muttered. “Well, Seizon, this is your downfall now. Against all odds you’ve survived for a while, but now we’ve split you up and we’re taking you out.”

“Split up?” Al thought. “So…they planned this from the beginning…”

Seizon took a deep breath.

“Yeah?” he challenged, more bravely than he actually felt. “Well, Nott, it just so happens there’s more than one way out of here.”

Nott cackled.
“What are you on about?” he demanded, his sickening laughter being reverberated among every single Sharptooth in the crowd.

“We’re in the depths of a massive cave network,” Seizon told him. “It should be pitch black. But it’s not. Some light from the outside is getting into this part of the cave. And the only way to get to it…”

Before anyone could stop him, he was sprinting towards the cave wall.

“Is to climb…”

And so he began to his quick climb to the cave ceiling. Al and Saureen twigged to what he was doing and began to climb too.

“After them!” Nott growled angrily, charging after flanked by many of the sharpteeth. “Torq…you keep some of the others down here…”

Seizon looked down to see Nott in pursuit of him and laughed.

“You’ll never get up here!” he teased. “Your arms are shorter than a twoclaw’s!”

Lini quickly made for the wall as well, but Torq bit down on her tail and dragged her away from it, forcing her to ground as emitted shrieks of pain.

Nycha twisted her head towards the sound. She had previously been looking for a trail that would lead her to Pyron, but seeing Lini pinned painfully to the ground by Torq and some other sharpteeth reminded her forcefully of moments of her own terror…

The tetrarchy.

How they had almost killed her. And how she had been saved. Why not enforce that living memory…?

“Hang on!” she yelled, rushing to Lini’s aid.

Seizon wormed his body through the gap in the ceiling, coming out onto the almost flat top of the Grand Cave Network into the brilliant sunshine. Thankfully, Redclaw had already left the area. His presence was one thing they could do without.

Saureen and Al quickly made it up after him, but instead of Lini and Nycha, they were followed up by a group of slavering sharpteeth who worked loyally for Nott. And against all odds, Nott had followed them up to. On sight, he barrelled straight into Seizon, and the two pack leaders rolled uncomfortably on top of the cave network, getting dangerously close the edge.

Saureen and Al had their own problems. These savage tireless thuggish sharpteeth were now making towards them, and one bit hard into Saureen’s upper shoulder. Grunting in pain, she bit straight into the attacker’s neck, who gasped and choked, releasing Saureen. Mustering all of her strength, Saureen flung the attacker as far as she could from her. He thudded hard into the ground, span and rolled away until he vanished from sight over the edge of the rocky outcrop.

Two claw-hands (Suchomimus) were pacing slowly around Al, licking their chops.
“Damn,” Al murmured. “You just don’t give up do you?”

The claw-hands made for him, but Al simply leapt directly upwards, backflipping over the two of them as they collided, crashing uncomfortably to the ground.

“Saureen,” Al said. “Fancy getting rid of them with me?”

Shaking off her curiosity of how Al had managed to get such knowledge of cave networks and combat, Saureen quickly head-butted one of the claw-hands off into the distance whilst Al kicked the other one over the edge. He quickly explained afterwards that they did have a chance of survival, even if it was small.

As the two of them continued fighting, biting and kicking, they quickly made short work of the other teenage sharpteeth surrounding them, nary a few cuts. Saureen could hardly believe it, but it seemed Seizon was right. Their teamwork abilities did make them differ from Nott’s gang. She and Al high-fived.

“Great work!” Saureen said enthusiastically.

“Thanks,” Al replied. “Now, I wonder how Seizon’s getting on?”

The water gushed and frothed and churned – now, Littlefoot had seen fast-water before, but this was something else altogether.

“Well,” Kai said to the group. “This’ll be difficult, but I’m sure we can make it. It’s worth it, anyway…”

Kai had woken them up early that morning, apologizing if he had spooked any of them with his actions the previous day, and promised he had a new lead on where he could find Chomper. Littlefoot wasn’t sure whether he should believe him, but then he had led them to something completely new – this fast-water.

But it wasn’t any ordinary fast water. A massive chasm far too wide for them to leap over was what was greeting their eyes, with a huge volume of massive, gushing water several metres into it. It was the biggest, mightiest fast-water he had ever seen.

Whilst everyone else was looking at the water however, Kai’s eyes were on Spike.

“This’ll be the perfect opportunity to wipe out Omendric’s heir,” he thought. “But it needs to be done carefully. I must make it look accidental, and Ulciscor’s nephew must not be drowned in the process. As for the others, it doesn’t really matter…”

Kai cleared his throat.

“Perhaps we should put crossing this fast water to the test,” he suggested.

Littlefoot looked up at him.

“The test…?” he replied with a slightly hollow laugh. “There’s no way any of us can cross the fast water here. Well, apart from Petrie…”

Petrie soared higher.

“Me look around,” he offered. “See if there’s safer place to cross…”

“Yeah…” Ruby nodded, watching Kai’s expression out of the corner of her eye. “In fact, let’s all see if there’s an easier way round.”

To their relief, Kai didn’t object.

Eventually, after walking parallel to the water for a few minutes, they came across a part where several large stone columns stood in the water, fixed to the river-bed, undeterred by the buffeting rapids.

“We could walk across these,” Kai suggested.

Cera swallowed.

“Are you sure?” she demanded. “They don’t look too safe to me…”

“They’re all we’ve got,” Kai insisted, and so saying, he stepped down onto the nearest column. He wobbled and juddered slightly, and for a moment, they thought he was going to topple over and be washed away by the rapids. And if Ruby were honest with herself, it was a hopeful moment…

But the moment, whatever it was, passed. Kai righted himself and turned to face the six kids.

“It’s fine! Come along…but it’ll have to be one at a time…”

Littlefoot steeled himself.

“Alright…” he muttered. “Petrie!” he called.

“Yeah?” Petrie replied.

“If you notice someone fall, yell out immediately!” he said.

“Got it!” Petrie replied.

Kai cursed inwardly. That was going to make it a lot more difficult to bump off the brat. But he supposed he could be like a chain service – aiding the little ones over the rapids using his long neck and tail…yes…he smiled to himself. It would be easy to just let his tail slip…he noticed the little swimmer that was constantly riding on the spiketail. Oh well, he’d just have to kill her too.

“I’ll go first,” Littlefoot offered.

“I’ll help you all across the columns,” Kai replied, stretching his neck forward.

But things hardly ever go to plan in a violently changing world. These wild rapids ended at the big water, and were controlled by its tides. However wild they were now, they were about to get even worse. There was, after all, a reason that these columns were so eroded.

Chomper blinked and forced his brain to focus. These shiny stones were indeed giving him a horrendous headache. The cave’s namesake wasn’t misplaced…

His concentration didn’t exactly pay off as another shiny stone passed him, slitting his shoulder and causing blood to splatter onto the ground. Gritting his teeth and holding onto his shoulder as the blood seeped through his fingers, he didn’t notice a much larger, sharper stone coming straight towards his head, and Pyron had to knock him aside again to stop him from getting hit. He then swiped at the stone in mid-air, diverting it towards the crystals that formed the perimeter of the cave, hitting them with a resounding clink.

Pyron clenched his fingers. His knuckles had been grazed by the stone, and he didn’t know how much longer he’d be able to battle on for. He was even more worried about Chomper, who didn’t seem to be with himself at all – it was evident his exhaustion and the cave were getting to him badly. Pyron needed to defend him at all costs – the only problem was, the exhaustion and the cave were getting to him too.

He picked up one of the shiny stones Yuti had thrown and flung it back at her. But to his dismay, the reflections were confusing him, and it missed her with ease. Yuti gleefully picked it back up and threw it again. In an effort to avoid it, Pyron knew he would have to something drastic. He promptly backflipped, grabbing Chomper and pulling him with them until they hit the ground, hopefully further away from Yuti and skidded along the stone floor.

“You alright?” Pyron panted at Chomper.

“Yeah…I think so…” Chomper murmured. “But these crystals…”

“I know…” Pyron nodded solemnly. “There’s got to be an easier way to get at her. I’m just not quite sure what…”

He closed his eyes as he thought about this. So, he could no longer trust his eyes. He had tried to take out some of the larger crystals earlier, but with no luck – they were stuck fast into the ground. So…what else could he rely on?

His eyes flew open again when Yuti leapt in front of them.

“OK,” she said. “I’m kind of bored now. Let’s get on with this…”

She lunged for Pyron, who held up his infamous foot-claw to deflect her teeth, and there was a nasty clank of teeth on toenails as the two predators pushed against each other. But now Chomper stood up. Headache or not, he needed to help out his friend, and he bit into Yuti’s side. Snarling, the feathery Sharptooth kicked him under the chin, and as Chomper staggered backwards he tasted blood. Simply spitting it out, he charged again.

Pyron yanked his ankle away from Yuti’s jaws and, balancing precariously, looked for another attack opportunity. Yuti rammed into his chest, but even on his back he slashed at her muzzle, leaving deep wounds there. She bit into his hand, but now Chomper barrelled into her, knocking her off balance. The two sharpteeth wrestled jaw-to-jaw and as they did so, Pyron reached towards a viciously sharp shiny stone…

He made towards Yuti, looking for a place to stab, but Yuti had already knocked Chomper to the ground, and grabbed hold of Pyron’s wrist with her hands. For someone with small arms, this was an impressive feat, and whilst placing her foot on Pyron’s chest, she knocked the shiny stone out of his hands, send it spinning towards Chomper. It struck him in the side, and blood oozed out, and Chomper staggered, gasping in pain.

“Dammit!” Pyron yelled, rushing over to him. “I’m so sorry Chomper!”

But Chomper, disorientated with pain, made for what he thought was Yuti, but as it turned out, it was just her reflection. His head struck solid crystal and he slid to the ground.

“Chomper!” Pyron rolled him over, and discovered, to his horror, that he was out cold.

And Yuti was nowhere to be seen…was it really her intention to kill them both? Was she that cold-blooded? Well, Pyron thought nervously, as he got to his feet, there was only one way to find out…

Seizon flexed his arms as he faced his foe. He felt a few small drops on his snout, and smiled. It was only drizzling, but it was enough to get him euphoric with adrenalin.

“Sky-water!” he hollered at Nott. “A unique sign of sanity and naturalness in the heat of the battle. It’s fantastic! I love it…and I see it as a sign that I will defeat you…”

“Yeah right!” Nott yelled back. But it was all a front. Even he could see that he was hopelessly outnumbered atop the network. He hoped that Torq would send reinforcements once he’d finished with the pathetic slashclaw and fastbiter that were down below…though there had been some silence from that area…

Seizon simply charged him and Nott lowered his head also, hoping to absorb the impact when he arrived. The two skulls crashed together and they pushed against each other in a formidable wrestle.

Nott’s eyes opened wide in horror when he saw the careful calculation Seizon had made. Other sharpteeth would have avoided charging him head-on due to his formidable horns. But Seizon was a bladeback, and like all bladebacks and their relatives, the claw-hands, Seizon’s head was long and narrow – narrow enough to nestle and wrestle in between the horns on Nott’s head rather than getting stabbed right through the brain. It was an epic advantage all right, and as Saureen and Al just watched in awe, Seizon made use of another advantage.

He raised his clawed hands and began to take swipes at Nott’s face, leaving long cuts there. Nott’s arms were too small to do anything, and with several swipes and a kick in the chest, Nott was sent flying backwards and crashing onto his back.

“Could do with some of those reinforcements now, eh?” Seizon laughed, lapping up the sky-water around his snout. He turned to his wide-eyed fellows.

“Saureen, Al…you two take a break,” he said. “I’ve got this one nailed.” He turned back to Nott.

“Go to hell!” Nott snarled.

Seizon just laughed.

“You first! We’re going to win this fight and this network!” he crowed. “You’re about to find out, rockhead, that you should never have messed with us – Xal’s crack team – the greatest pack in the world!”

It was too bad that other members weren’t so confident.

Pyron stood, every sense alert, standing a close-guard over Chomper. He had woken up, but he was still very weak, and his bleeding from the side, shoulder and mouth didn’t help matters.

Yuti, unseen by them, was sneaking around the back, determined this time.

“I’ll attack from behind,” she thought. “Two quick neck snaps should do it…if they’re willing to co-operate, I’ll just knock them out and they can be part of our pack…”

Pyron’s eyes were darting around, searching for the feathered Sharptooth, but this just hurt his eyes. Against every odd, he then closed them.

“There’s got to be a better way…” he thought. “A way of getting to her other than just looking out for her. Earlier, I had my eyes closed, thinking like this, and she landed in front of us. I knew she did…but how? I had my eyes closed. There must have been some other way…”

Yuti was in position, right behind some large shiny stones, half-hidden. Both Pyron and Chomper had their backs to her and both with closed eyes. This would be perfect…just one twist of her arms and Chomper would have his neck broken…then Pyron…

But suddenly, Pyron knew. He should have seen it a long time before. What reminded him of it was of what he suddenly realised – Yuti was right behind them.

With a new burst of energy and his realisation, Pyron promptly backflipped, landed directly on top of Yuti, who had been on the verge of snapping Chomper’s neck.

“WHAT?” she croaked. Chomper opened his eyes and raised his head.

“That was a close call…” Pyron grinned.

“But how…oh…” Yuti muttered, suddenly realising. “You smelled me…”

“I should have seen it coming along time before!” Pyron declared. “I could always smell you before I saw you. It kept me one step ahead of you all the time, smelling the adrenalin and perspiration on you, judging the times you were about to aim to kill.”

“Yes…” Yuti growled, kicking him off her and standing up. Pyron landed expertly on his feet as Yuti continued. “And with your eyes closed your sense of smell became enhanced, allowing you to plan ahead with what to do with me…”

“A sharptooth’s sense of smell is its best sense!” Pyron declared. “And I can use to that my advantage.”

Chomper gave a weak smile as Yuti leapt backwards, thinking fast.

“I have to admit…he’s good,” she thought. “Now he can work out where I’m truly coming from, my use of reflections as weapons is useless. The twoclaw seems to be still out of commission, but that fastbiter is deadly, and has gotten new hope, and is especially determined to continue this fight to defend his companion. The longer this continues, the longer Nott is going to have to battle without me. I’ve got to finish this now…and take drastic measures. He has played into my weaknesses…”
She gazed at Chomper.
“So to finish this quickly, I’ll have to play into his…”

~0~

Oh Yuti... :wow

Well, I hope you enjoyed that chapter, looking forward to hearing your feedback! So Kai still hasn't given up on his plan to kill Omendric's heir, but will he succeed? Will Nott's pack succeed? What's happening with Lini and Nycha? I know I seemingly abandoned what was going on with half-way through, but never fear, they shall appear again in the next chapter!  :nyah
How well do you think I wrote this action sequence? Bear in mind, their will be many more to come. You may be glad to hear that this battle is bringing the end to this cave network nonsense - only two more chapters to go and they're OUT of there...and the entire point of this storyline comes into light...
I know Ulciscor and Xal didn't actually appear in this chapter, but don't worry, their stories haven't been abandoned either... :lol
And Seizon likes skywater still! And Al can kick ass, and Pyron! The Headache Cave was actually based off my own phobia of lifts. The reflective walls enable you to only see yourself...horrible...  :p
LEAVE FEEDBACK AND THANKS FOR READING!  :DD

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Aha! So Nycha finally has a change of heart! It was great to see that.
I also liked the battle sequences, and thought they flowed along pretty smoothly - you have such a great eye for detail that it doesn't seem like a challenge for you (even though yeah, battle sequences are worst!! :o)

For some reason, I'm not too worried about the Gang, they way you left it with them suggests they have a chance. I'm just hoping Kai gets his just desserts before long.

As always, a pleasure to read^^
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks! Hope you enjoy the next chapter as much...or more...

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Whoa! Intense battle scenes there, Toby!

Yuti, you little... :anger I don't think I'm going to like what she's planning, but at least Pyron found a way to know where she was and what she was doing. :DD

Well, it's a good job some of the others managed to get out of that cave network. Go Seizon! And good for Nycha having a change of heart like that. :)

Oh... that fast water sounds pretty dangerous. I'm praying nothing bad happens to Spike, but with Kai around... :unsure:

Anyway, great chapter again, Dosu! :D

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks again!  :smile

Yeah, Yuti has a devious little mind...I dream for one day of a composer to write an epic piece on the battle between her and Pyron. Intense or what???

And yep, Seizon's resourceful too! He loves the rain... :lol