The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Discussion of "A sudden change of species"

Ducky123 · 283 · 26898

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Well, that would be my job I reckon :p Let's see what the others think.
Inactive, probably forever.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think it's a fine idea, and I'm definitely behind the Littlefoot being a T-rex thing. :yes The wishes sound good as well, and it seems like we were on the same page for a lot of them. XD My idea for Littlefoot's wish was pretty much exactly that. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Littlefoot is currently controlled by Pterano and Ruby is currently controlled by me since the original posters haven't posted in a fair while, just to clarify it ;) They can be taken back at any time by their original players of course.

^ Cool then :smile People may use my suggestions, suggestions of others (I think von and rhombus suggested some ideas) or use their own.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Shall we just move on to the "change of species" scene? I reckon you don't want another game of "Sharptooth Attack" :p

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Works for me :yes

(runner up)
(runner up)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
No, I think another game is what we need... I'm kidding, works for me too :p

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That'll work. :yes
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow, that were some fast replies :wow

I'll have the next post posted by tomorrow :) Let's get this rolling again.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's what we have discussed earlier (much earlier :smile) with some additional ideas that are coming up as I write this and reread our ideas.

Of course, we could more or less stick to the way rhombus handled the change but wouldn't that be kind of unoriginal? :p I therefore suggest some changes while sticking to the (already favoured back then) idea of having the gang chased out by their very own parents plus any other dinosaurs residing in the valley.
The gang might wake up at their respective sleeping places, possibly having dreamt something having to do with the change. They have to deal with many physical changes as rhombus had pointed out and they will be terrified in their very personal way.
One of the main points that may be argued about is: Dreams or waking up without having any? I'm fine either way. Another pretty powerful idea that Pterano had in a chat earlier is to have them sleepwalk around (possibly dreaming?) until they meet at a certain place, waking up simultaneously. That way, it might be a little chaotic though :smile Suggestions for possible meeting places were the Secret Caverns and some place in a thick forest (so they're kind of safe from getting spotted too soon)

What do you think?

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, to further elaborate on my idea, the sleepwalking would bring them to the same spot, and they would face each other in a circle before waking up, and this way, they all see each other upon awakening and get the full impact of the shock factor. :smile

(runner up)
(runner up)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I'm assuming that if we have them sleepwalking, there'd need to be some kind of dream for each of them, otherwise the reveal of their transformation might seem a little quick. I still like the idea of them being chased out of the valley by the other, normal dinosaurs - would we still go with the idea that, since they're not used to walking around in their new bodies, they accidentally stumble into a nest of younger dinosaurs, leading the adults to wake up and think they're attacking?

Also, how did rhombus handle the change in his story? I haven't had much time to read it, and I don't want to accidentally copy him  :p

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I rather like Pterano's sleepwalking idea with all of them arriving at the same place, although I would find either possibility interesting.  Pterano's idea would be quite different from what I used in my story, and could result in a much faster build-up to the gang being forced from the valley then what happened in my story (which took 3 chapters.)

With regards to dreaming I am open to either possibility but, like bushwacked said, it might feel a bit rushed if they sleepwalked and there was no intervening dream.  :yes

Also, how did rhombus handle the change in his story? I haven't had much time to read it, and I don't want to accidentally copy him :p

To summarize the events after the 'change' in my story:  

1)  Each of the gang was confronted with a graphic dream where they were chased (by their eventual species) and they sought refuge within a cave.  They were eventually confronted with several paths, all of which were blocked except for one.  After another chase (this time by the others members of the gang - now all sharpteeth) they are brought face to face with their own corpse.  They then look into their own reflection in a nearby stream and see their new sharptooth form greeting them.

2)  Upon waking, each one of them finds out about their change in different ways.  For example, Littlefoot sees that he has sleepwalked some distance from his nest and decides to travel back, only to collapse onto the ground.  Then he notices the change.  

3)  The gang then begins to join up and look for the others.  Ducky and Spike were already in the same area so they form a group.  Cera comes to the conclusion that the others must have changed too and begins her journey.  Petrie eventually finds Littlefoot and those two also find the others.  The reassembled gang of five then proceeds to journey to the Secret Caverns in order to find Chomper and Ruby.

4)  Chomper is surprised to smell fast biter in the cave and hears Ruby whimpering.  He panics and tracks the sound down to find Ruby (Now as a fast biter) crying.  Thinking that the fast biter must have killed or injured Ruby, Chomper confronts her.  Ruby then has the unenviable position of either proving her identity or becoming Chomper's first victim in the Great Valley...

Due to the different agent causing the change (Fate? in this RP as opposed to a ancient alien artifact that crashes into the Great Valley in my story) and the different options available to the gang (they initially try to undo the wish that they made to the artifact in my story, but this will not be an option in this RP) I don't think that there is much risk of repeating elements of my story in the RP.  However, if anyone wants to borrow an element from my story and incorporate it into this RP then I am perfectly fine with that. :yes

If you want to make sure that you don't copy me, however, here is a link to the relevant chapter in my story.   The events described above continue in chapters 7 and 8.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree with the others that if we try my idea, there needs to be a really compelling dream. Perhaps a compromise can be found, as my idea initially is a bit quick, and rhombus's from the story might be a bit long. So middle ground? They each share a really compelling, well written dream that I just picture as evoking a lot of "wow" factor if we write it well enough. :yes This dream induces sleepwalking in the group, and they begin heading to a more secluded area.

Now if we use my idea of them standing in a circle facing each other, I had two ideas for that:

The first is they awaken during the transformation, and the second is they awaken after it's completed. I'm kind of leaning towards the latter myself, just because imagine their reactions waking up and seeing sharpteeth facing them, and not realizing of course that they themselves are sharpteeth. :smile

So yeah, what's everyone think?

(runner up)
(runner up)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would prefer the latter option as well, as I can easily imagine the humorous reaction (from an outsider's perspective) of them seeing that they are surrounded by sharpteeth and then trying to hide or get away, only to wonder why the sharpteeth are trying to do the same.  Their gradual realization and dawning horror at the implications would be quite fun to write.  :yes

The only question that I would have is how a unified dream should be written?  Should it be written as a cumulative effort and posted as a single post from the viewpoint of one character?  Or should it be broken down into several segments, which can be modified to show each character within the dream (for example, showing Littlefoot being chased by a threat and barely escaping, then jump cutting to Spike wondering how he got away, then jump cutting to the next character, etc.)?  There are many possibilities that we could follow in developing a potential dream.  :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, that's what I was picturing too. :smile The humor of that scene followed by the dawning horror of it all, heheh. :smile

I don't think I like the big post with one character's perspective, just because I don't like overshadowing all characters in favor of one, BUT I do think that latter idea is intriguing, rhombus. :yes This way, it gives us all a chance to shine by writing a particular passage of the dream, and gives equal focus to all characters. I don't see many other ways to do a unified dream unless they all had a separate dream. This way too we can work out a coherent dream that flows nicely. :yes

One idea I definitely would like to incorporate though is transitioning from dream to reality. Like a kind of fade out type thing where as they gradually come awake, they aren't sure if they're still dreaming or not, but then realize with a sudden jolt that it's very real, and they're somehow surrounded by sharpteeth.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm in favor of everything you two were in favor of so far :yes I assume the sleepwalking idea is favorisised by the others too (otherwise speak up! :yes). I also fail to set up an alternative idea to the idea of writing ONE dream together. It will probably be very difficult to plan that but the outcome is going to be worth it!

Regarding the dream: I think a smooth transition from dream to reality (like, they dream to be surrounded by Sharpteeth and they wake up to notice that it is real ;)) is indeed a very good idea. The exact content of the dream will be tougher to agree on, I suppose. I suggest that every member of the gang should have a sort of "scene" (so there would be 7 of them) and that we should set a sequence (like, who will post first, second etc...).

I don't have a particular idea in mind at the moment but maybe you do? I'll think about it and let you know asap (that is, if my brain comes up woth something useful :smile)

We also discussed about the species of the Gang some weeks ago... Is everybody fine with the following species (I don't remember any resistance against my idea back then...):
Littlefoot: t-rex
Cera: Fastbiter
Ducky: Fastbiter
Petrie: Sharptooth Flyer (probably Ichy's species)
Spike: Fastbiter
Ruby: Fastbiter
Chomper: t-rex (obviously :p)

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm fine with those species, Ducky. Littlefoot as a T-Rex, will makes things more interesting, and a little bit different from Rhombus's story.  Like Cal said, it'll also let Littlefoot feel more of what it's like to be Chomper.

For Chomper's dream, all I can think of is He's chasing the rest of the Gang, with the sharptooth versions of the Gang, and they're saying things sharpteeth would normally say. After they kill the leaf-eater versions, he'll hear all of his dead friends cheering, and turn around to see that they're now sharpteeth. Everybody else fine with that dream idea?
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Honestly, that's a great idea! :wow

I guess it'll be best if everyone goes after himself and Chomper will... ehh who will he chase? Himself? :lol And Petrie will hunt in the sky I guess?

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I do like the sound of that idea as well. :yes

Here I was getting ready to come up with a big, impressive plot that we could break down into seven fragments, but that idea works too. :yes

(runner up)
(runner up)