The Gang of Five

It certainly has been a crazy year, hasn’t it?  Well, thankfully, a new year is upon us and here at the Gang of Five forum we have a new year of showcases, prompts, and themes to get the new year started in the right way.  We wish you all a happy new year, and we look forward to what you have in store for us this year!

For the month of January we have a new character showcase.  Please warmly welcome Littlefoot's Mother! :)littlefoot The character showcase topic for this month can be found here.

Also keep in mind that the December and January prompts for the fanfic prompt challenge is now open.  We are doing things a bit differently this season and allowing for people to either fulfill a monthly prompt or a suggested prompt during each month.  I look forward to seeing what you all come up with! :)  The fanfic prompt rules and list of monthly prompts can be found here.

Changes you would have made to the film

Sneak

• They will come back...
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • ...but not as themselves.
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
- Returning all known so far deleted scenes back to film (extended scenes with Sharptooth, oasis scene, scenes where children are in depression, extended scene with Spike, that scene with littlefoot and snake from early sketches, finding the valley by Littlefoot alone, ending, and many etc)
- adding Petrie's birth sequence
- more scenes with Grandma and Grandpa! And their talk.
- adding long-awaited Cera's apologizes :[
- (somehow) adding personality to... Sharptooth and his actions. Describing his true motives...
FFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNLAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNDDD!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------

play Mr. Stick adventure forum game!: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15974
ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
I agree with many on this topic of the changes they would have
 made to the film. Here are mine (including what others on this topic would have done):

. I would have made the film a bit longer.
. Have Rooter appear again in the Great Valley at the end.
. Have Cera's mom and sisters be shown in the Valley alive and well.
. Show Petrie's backstory.
. Change the fight between Littlefoot and Cera to this: While they would still argue,
instead of Cera insulting Littlefoot's mom, I would have her say something like "Then
she was wrong too", about which direction to go to the Valley. Also they would continue
to argue instead of escalating into a physical fight, which bothered me when I re-watched
it.
. And like others here, I would have given Littlefoot's grandparents some lines.

Well, that's my changes.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What about keeping the dejected sences in? Would you have done that?

Sneak

• They will come back...
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
@Adfan: What do you mean?

@Dracorider: Insulting and fight scenes are one of the most strong and "wonderful" situation in movie. It's culmination of confrontation between sides of Littlefoot and Cera, started from the beginning. It shouldn't be changed,replaced or removed somehow, in my opinion.

play Mr. Stick adventure forum game!: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15974

Dracorider19

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Mar 31 2017 on  06:38 AM
What about keeping the dejected sences in? Would you have done that?
Oh yeah, about those deleted scenes, well, I would definitely keep the scene where
Cera initially doesn't want Spike to come with them, but the gang manages to convince
her, and this would show Cera some more character development.
And yes, I would keep some scenes of Sharptooth, but others I would leave out just
as the original producers did since it would be too frightening for younger viewers.

Dracorider19

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Mar 31 2017 on  07:15 AM

@Dracorider: Insulting and fight scenes are one of the most strong and "wonderful" situation in movie. It's culmination of confrontation between sides of Littlefoot and Cera, started from the beginning. It shouldn't be changed,replaced or removed somehow, in my opinion.
I don't really understand how insulting and fight scenes are "one of the most strong and
wonderful" in a movie. Sure, it was to show the characters's flaws, but I felt it was too
harsh and that's what made Cera the subject of bashing from so many. You can see
comments on that scene online hating on Cera and some even wishing Cera to be eaten
by the Sharptooth just for a childish insult.
Not every confrontation in a film needs to escalate into a fight.

Dracorider19

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dracorider19,Mar 31 2017 on  08:10 AM
Quote from: Snik,Mar 31 2017 on  07:15 AM

I don't really understand how insulting and fight scenes are "one of the most strong and
wonderful" in a movie. Sure, it was to show the characters's flaws, but I felt it was too
harsh and that's what made Cera the subject of bashing from so many. You can see
comments on that scene online hating on Cera and some even wishing Cera to be eaten
by the Sharptooth just for a childish insult.
Not every confrontation in a film needs to escalate into a fight.

Note: While I personally felt the fight was too harsh, I do agree
that the confrontation or argument was a good culmination.

Sneak

• They will come back...
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
There's edit button, Dracorider19. ;)

harsh and that's what made Cera the subject of bashing from so many.
Do you know why the most of people love original movie? Because people of all ages can view it. It isn't pure childish movie story for little kids like last sequels and TV series.
It contains some mature themes (like rasicm), heavy scenes (a lot of heavy scenes..), and many other elements. Atmosphere of depression, death and tension are filling air and land, almost every scene contains it. It creates unique realistic atmosphere, and when our protagonists steps into that world, viewers empathize them.

I believe there's no single sane people on planet who liked Cera's act in that scene. Myself hated her for VEEERY LONG TIME before I "forget" that awful act and "forgive" her. Of course people must do what they do about Cera, or they are unfeeling people (yes. I say you are unfeeling people if you WELCOME her act or do NOT think or say single bad word about her). But (not-)surprisingly, this scene makes film living. So I glad that scene happened.

Without such scenes, or with that scenes BUT directed VERY BAD like in some LBT movies (I guess ADFan would be pleased when he reads this! ^^) - fild turns into absolutely childish and empty.

All that heavy scenes in movie (except that deleted that can increase general atmosphere of tension even more!) make film perfect. It's like sugar and tea: if you put too much sugar into tea, you won't able to drink it! (like I did in childhood. 10 spoons of sugar and small cup of tea. Oooooh man... T_T ) But if you mix components in right proportion - you will get perfect piece of art (drink, lol :D). 

----------

Of course, it's all my personal opinion. And I hope somebody reads it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:52:26 PM by Sneak »

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
While I see nothing great in violence or fighting per se, the scene did a good job at finally creating the rift within the Gang and later on it did show the error in Cera's ways. It's only natural that people hate her because of that scene but I believe that was the intention. Luckily, Cera has long since repented from that day.

As for overall improvements, most of them are mere ideas on how to make the film longer. The only way I could hope to improve the existing scenes is by replacing some existing voices. I see Jeff Bennett as a far better voice for Petrie than Will Ryan and maybe Cera's voice could be changed to Anndi Mcafee. I also usually prefer Felix Avitia's work as Littlefoot to Gabriel Damon's but the latter managed to do his part well when he had to. No one can improve Littlefoot's voice in the key scenes.

There is nothing to be improved in regards to animation, music or the overall plot. Even then, the film could and should have been longer. First, there could have been an additional lesson with Littlefoot's mother and Grandparents, maybe at an earlier age. Also, as many have pointed out, Petrie's birth should have been shown.

Later on, the scenes of Littlefoot's loneliness and depression could have been even longer. For example, he seemed to have resigned to his fate after his encounter with Cera. It ould have been a bit too depressing but there could have been a scene of Littlefoot his probable fate. As for his encounter with Ducky, the LBT Squad in Youtube had a nice suggestion. Littlefoot should have been ready to leave alone but then rethink that only he knows the way to the Great valley and because of that, he has a responsibility to guide Ducky.

Also, I believe there should been longer intervals between the meetings of new Gang members. There could have been more potential for Littlefoot/Ducky relationship before meeting Petrie. Also, Petrie should have been more like his sequel self. Here his whole personality is that he cannot fly and I like Petrie better in the sequels. My suggestions continue mostly by adding additional character interactions and personal scenes. For example, none of the others except Littlefoot spoke a lot about their families. Some kind of Always There scene could have worked. Also, Cera should have apologized to Littlefoot.

As for Snik's question, yes, I do approve darker scenes in animated films. Imagine Land Before Time with Incredibles-like atmosphere.  :x The whole film is about a dying world and the few remaining lights in the darkness. It's impossible to think about the film without darker elements. Also, the entire anti-racism theme would have been undermined if all of the dinosaurs had co-operated flawlessly. No group of friends is harmonious forever, especially in an situation like the Gang.

No, these scenes don't make the film worse. The way I see it, they enable the appreciation of places like the Great Valley or true friends like the Gang. Of course, this alone doesn't work. For example, the Black Cauldron and the animated Lord of the Rings were quite dark but they were still bad films. Meaningless "darkness" turns easily into useless edginess and serves no purpose. Bluth usually knew the balance and that's why I adore his work.  When done properly, darkness brings beauty and eventual joy into a film but it only underscores the director's lack of ideas if done badly. These days the animation directors don't even try dark scenes and that's one reason why they fail to get to me.

Sneak

• They will come back...
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
As for his encounter with Ducky, the LBT Squad in Youtube had a nice suggestion. Littlefoot should have been ready to leave alone but then rethink that only he knows the way to the Great valley and because of that, he has a responsibility to guide Ducky.
WOW WOW WOW WOW! :O
I never though about that!!!
It makes some sense...

I just thought that despite Littlefoot's depression and lose, death of his mother didn't break him (or at least, treestar and mother's voice scene revived him from completely broken state), and he remained himself. He didn't see anything bad in being with other kind of dinosaurs he friend. He tried to invite Cera to journey to Great Valley, but thanks to her behavior (Cera.. grrrr.. Cera...  :anger ), he temporarly blocked himself from other kinds of dinosaurs. But Ducky's behavior, smile and tears immediately dissolved that block, and he happily invited her. BUT I never thought that Littlefoot got huge feeling of responsibility right in scene with Ducky! I thought it happened later, when full gang formed. Or when they found Longneck Rock as a prove that they are on the right way as mother told.

The whole film is about a dying world and the few remaining lights in the darkness.
Nice words... :)

When we are out there in the dark
 We'll dream about the sun
 In the dark we'll feel the light
 Warm our hearts, everyone

Also, Petrie should have been more like his sequel self. Here his whole personality is that he cannot fly and I like Petrie better in the sequels.
Hmm, I would like to see a little little bit more personality to Petrie in original movie. Long ago I noticed Petrie in original movie and in sequels are quite different person! AND! I liked original Petrie more (and I don't talk about his normal speech in LBT1 :P). Because Petrie in sequels is... some kind of stereotipical person who always is scared and funny, and it makes him less... natural? . Petrie's panic moments in original movie looks more strong, and more natural. It's not just empty fear of something. I can feel emotions. I can feel despair and... some kind of strong force. something like good anger (or is it just for me?)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:10:14 AM by Sneak »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Captain Wolf McDonnell
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sharptooth ‘s demise. I would have preferred the climax take place at the volcano and lava flows. It would have capitilized on Cera leading them “the wrong way,” that they are trapped on rocks above lava, but to escape the melting stones would be to face Sharptooth who is snarling and even tries to eat th as their rocky sqaure floats down the lava riveria. Then when they are forced to face Sharptooth, Littlefoot arrives saying “I’m coming!” and he instead of Cera is final member Gang needed to caste Sharptooth into the Lava, who even as he sinks into fiery obilivion, chomps and tries to eat them; his forked two fingers being the last thing to be submerged in lava grave. 

This ending gives Littlefoot more of tangible vengeance against Sharptooth for killing his mother. This climax would give Littlefoot closure and explain his willingness to help raise Chomper in LBTII without reservations. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:55:27 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
Though I think the movie is fine as it is - in fact, I personally wouldn't touch very much at all after Sharptooth's introduction - I do think that the first act could have been lifted even further if it took some more time to explore the world that it sets up; a potential scene that comes to mind is of Littlefoot and his family trying to find water after Littlefoot's first encounter with Cera.

Aside from that, that's about it; maybe a scene of Petrie hatching during the opening narration (perhaps as a counter to Cera seeming to be born without fear - maybe the thunder and lightning could send him practically flying out of his egg and he would have to be comforted by his mother, but that might be too comical), a very short scene where Cera first encounters the crownheads in the Mountains that Burn (I like the idea of her saying something that spurs them into attacking her) or giving Littlefoot's grandparents a couple of lines are the only other things I can think of.

StardustSoldier

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • I'll gladly be your lover anyday. <3
    • View Profile
^I like all of those ideas. :)

As much as I love the movie myself, I came up with a whole bunch of little tweaks and additions I would've done for this fanfic novelization I was tentatively planning. I would like to share those ideas sometime soon, so I'll probably come back to this thread.
See here for all the LBT films and episodes I've reviewed.

"Life finds a way. Just hope for the best."