The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Critically acclaimed games that you don't like

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
Quote from: Mumbling,Jan 11 2015 on  06:25 PM
Just gonna move this topic over to the Gamer's Zone! If I find the time I'll get my list of games on here.
Sorry about that, I just found out about this sub-forum.

Anyway... PES 2012. The game is beyond broken; most than half the time the computer would do whatever it wants in terms of ball possession. If your opponent threw the ball out of the field, chances are that he would get to do the following throw-in.

Scoring is here a matter of luck more than ever, the comments are bad synchronized (the guy tells you about a situation that happened like fifteen minutes ago -in game time-) and the physics are just weird.

We had to return it to the store, and THANK GOD we didn't buy the digital copy.

PES 2014 and FIFA 2015 are far better options and I'm fine with either of those.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Minecraft-whats the appeal?

It's just computer legos pretty much, what do people find so interesting with playing with blocks? I personally like a goal in my games. Then again The Sims series has no real goal but I like it because you can set your own, raise a family, earn a living with no cheats, get to the top of a career and then theres all the challenges fans make. Like the legacy challenge or the one I'm  attempting for the 50 foal challenge-it has a point.

Minecraft..has no goal at all, unless one of your goals would be to make the worlds largest  computer lego mansion or something.

Minecraft is so..blah to me, I fail to see it's world wide appeal, not to mention it's price. In my currency it's $31. Sorry but $31 is insane for what the game is, the account was given to me by a friend who got it to see without trying the demo and hated it, I hated it and gave to to my nephew who was begging his parents for the game.

Maybe I'm just missing something, but Minecraft bored me to tears. And fans get butthurt when I say I think it's a terrible game..uh sorry my opinion offended them so..

The best game I've played is Okami, it deserves every bit of praise it gets. Didn't like Okamiden much though, felt more like a spin off then a sequel. Okami is such a beautiful and well made game.

This Minecraft however..is not.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I didn't really understand the appeal of Minecraft either. I heard people talking about it, but never really understood why people loved it so much. So when I started playing it for the first time a few years ago, I thought 'why not, I can play a little bit of this to see what it's about'. The first time was with some GOF members with some texture missing (I couldn't see the water :p ). I did eventually start to play it on my own to figure out more about it. What started as just a quick play soon became longer and longer and longer... and soon 2 hours had passed and I was shocked. And I kept on playing. I just wanted to build, keep building, keep crafting, etc.

Exactly how this happened, I cannot explain. Even in the free alternative to Minecraft, Minetest, without the mods for animals and monsters, that game still had me going for hours and hours as I crafted and built. Something about the game just draws me in. What that is, I don't think I can ever say. It's just...one of those things I suppose.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
This might sound weird but, aside for the first installment, which I really really love, I cannot stand the Mario franchise... ummm, and the same thing is going on with Kirby, actually.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I used to play the first quite a lot when I was a kid. Although my favorite was Super Mario World. I haven't really played too much of the later games, so I don't really have a strong opinion on them.

As for a critically claimed game I'm not a huge fan of, Doom. The original classic. I don't hate it by any means or anything, but I never could play it for too long. The controls were too swift, the inability to manually aim makes it hard for me to tell if I'm hitting someone, the lack of a jump button put me off, and I easily got lost when trying to find those keys to advance.

I don't mind playing it for short periods of time, but I never get far in the game because of frustration and a rapidly declining interest as I play. By extension, I'm not overly fond of games using the same engine, such as Heretic (which I tried and got bored of quickly) and Freedoom.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 16 2015 on  10:40 AM
I didn't really understand the appeal of Minecraft either. I heard people talking about it, but never really understood why people loved it so much. So when I started playing it for the first time a few years ago, I thought 'why not, I can play a little bit of this to see what it's about'. The first time was with some GOF members with some texture missing (I couldn't see the water :p ). I did eventually start to play it on my own to figure out more about it. What started as just a quick play soon became longer and longer and longer... and soon 2 hours had passed and I was shocked. And I kept on playing. I just wanted to build, keep building, keep crafting, etc.

Exactly how this happened, I cannot explain. Even in the free alternative to Minecraft, Minetest, without the mods for animals and monsters, that game still had me going for hours and hours as I crafted and built. Something about the game just draws me in. What that is, I don't think I can ever say. It's just...one of those things I suppose.
I can relate to your feelings on Minecraft.  Though I haven't played it in quite a while, there was a span of about a year that I would play it quite heavily.  It was mainly the building element that appealed to me.  You can never have too many castles with lave moats.  ;)

As for a popular game that I never really cared for, the old game Myst never really appealed to me though it was popular in the 1990s.  I usually enjoy puzzle games, but for some reason Myst and its sequel never caught on with me.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Everyone's got that big title that they just don't agree with. Mine for year just past happened to be on the top of an awful lot of YouTubers' 10 Best games of 2014 list but for me it just didn't float my boat. That game was Shadow of Mordor.

Now let me explain before I get pelted! The game itself is not adherently bad. In fact, it is solid in its construct, excellent roaming and movement mechanics, the Nemesis system is a brilliant addition and the combat has that gross but satisfying gore fact to it... but there in lies my biggest gripe with SoM.

Whilst the combat is heavy hitting and flows very much like Batman: Arkham Asylum/City's multi-directional fighting mechanics, I just found every battle I was in a chore. The enemies swarmed you in droves and by the time you've dealt with one or two baddies, another flock of about 5 are already on their way to join the fray. On top of that, the enemies are damage sponges. You deliver blow after blow just praying that eventually they'll keel over but reinforcements have already piled in before you've dispatched even one of the lowly peons.

And the roaming bosses only add to the frustration I found. Because they had special attributes that could either be exploited or you had to avoid triggering, killing them was nigh on impossible with the hoard around you. The killing animation for defeating bosses just took far too long and before you could safely strike them out, someone would be ready to attack you from behind forcing you to counter their attack and thus interrupting you slaying your target. Who would, by then, have gotten up, recovered a portion of their health and started fighting again!

Because I found one of the major mechanics of the game such hard work to deal with and I ended up losing out under sheer number of enemies, I felt cheated and completely despised the idea of fighting knowing that I was just going to be swarmed in minutes. As I said, the game is structurally sound in its design, but the fighting mechanics just didn't do it for me. The first rage quit in a long time for me. I'm just glad I borrowed SoM from a friend rather than forking out full price for the damn thing.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
^ I never really had a problem with the amount of enemies - with the executions, teleport executions, arrows and that head-explody thingie, along with some of the upgrades, isn't it possible to take out about 15 enemies at a time?

That being said, I do find that I can only play about an hour of Shadow of Mordor before I start getting a bit bored and need a break. The game can be quite repetitive.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Maybe once you started levelling up and gaining more skills it got easier but at the time, it was just winding me up and I wasn't enjoying my experience. And for me, if you're not enjoying your gaming experience, then it's not the game for you.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't know how I missed this for so long but... GTA: SAN ANDREAS, man. This is the first game that made me feel INSULTED.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I played GTA: San Andreas before. I only remember 2 things of my experience.

1. Using the jetpack to fly around.

and

2. Brushing up with a group of black people, then getting followed by them, and then getting beat to death by them.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
How did San Andreas make you feel insulted if you don't mind my asking?

As for a game I didn't like: Ico. Normally I can understand why people might like something I don't. With Ico, I just don't get why people say it's so great. The graphics are pretty nice for an older game but the combat is some of the worst I've ever seen in any video game. Ico gets knocked flat on his butt with just one hit, the puzzles aren't very thrilling, some of which aren't even well thought out and the female lead(whose name I can't remember right now) is so useless and helpless she makes Princess Peach look strong and independent. That's pretty bad when a character who's more of a plot device than an actual character is better than you.

My mom bought me a Japanese import of Ico for Christmas and I really don't plan on ever playing it again. I don't want to sell the game because I think that would be a jerk move on my part but I really don't think I'll play it ever again.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
How did San Andreas make you feel insulted if you don't mind my asking?

Of course you can ask :) It made me feel racist... I don't know why, but that's what I got from the experience.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I guess hearing the "N" word spoken so often in the game can make you feel that way. I dunno, it never really bothered me that much.

Going slightly off topic but I think I'm starting to get more into the Saints Row games than I am GTA. I've been doing an SR marathon leading up to the latest game, Gat Out of Hell and I've been having a lot more fun with those games. I think it's because GTA just became so restrictive and tried too hard to be realistic. Not saying the GTA games aren't good. I'd just rather get paid to cause destruction around a city than play virtual tennis with my virtual wife.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
This is an old game but Starcraft just never appealed to me.

I guess it's just me liking the "near-future" motif of the Command and Conquer series over the "space opera" motif of Starcraft.

Also, Starcraft's gameplay seemed really crude next to the gameplay of Total Annihilation.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
There have been so many games in my life that I REALLY wanted to enjoy. So often though, I find myself being sucked out of the experience by some game design decision(s) or technical limitations that just kill the game.

I consider this relevant to this topic because plenty of VERY critically-acclaimed games fall into this category.

It kind of bugs me how often I'm just not able to enjoy what's considered a very good game by many people. This isn't an issue of "oh, it's just not my genre" or "I'm not pro enough to enjoy it". No, I'm referring to game design decisions that I just find myself disagreeing with or letting bug me to the point where I just don't get much out of the game anymore.

Let's look at some examples:

----------------------------------

Cities: Skylines - Steam reviews: 15,981 positive, 893 negative.

Don't get me wrong; I LOVED this game at first! The playerbase at large often calls this the SimCity 4 KILLER. The game that will replace Simcity 4 (finally, as it's 10 years old now). That's where a STRONGLY disagree. This game falls into its own little world, far from Simcity 4. I'd love to see a worthy successor to SC4. I really would. I want this to be it. At first I thought it was. I soon found out how wrong I was.

I loved it until I learned how simplistic the simulations are and how limited the engine was in terms of simulating anything larger than a 65k population.

I understand that these limitations were put in place to improve accessibility to players with slower computers and to make the game reach a wider audience due to its relative simplicity.

Between the questionable traffic AI, the REMOVAL of features that I saw as must-haves from SimCity 4 (a game 10 years older) and the fact that this game was often being tossed around as BEING the next SimCity 4 by city building fans, this game drove me insane.

The fact that so many city building decisions really had no effect whatsoever on the state of the city (especially the fact that traffic simply doesn't matter. Commute time has no effect on city efficiency or happiness) bothers me to the point where I just can't get into the game, despite its exceptional reviews.

At first, sure, the game did feel like the next Sim City 4...until you start to see the cause/effect of what's going on and start reading around forums regarding how the game REALLY works.

Sad days indeed that a game is ruined once you learn how it works. I find this problem all over the place in simulation-style "realistic" games. Once you learn how the simulation works, you can min-max it and ignore the aspects of the simulation that don't do anything significant. The experience quickly becomes hollow once you learn what actions just...don't do anything.

-----------------------------

7 Days to Die - Steam reviews: 19,640 positive, 4,156 negative.

Alright, two things regarding this game:
1) It's still Early Access so maybe I shouldn't pick on it...but I have plenty of reasons to pick on it anyway. :p

2) It has a larger proportion of Negative reviews than Cities. It still has A LOT of people who love it.

Anyway:
This isn't a game that was ruined by learning how it works. On the contrary, learning how it works is part of the game and actually makes it more enjoyable.

No, no, no. My problem with this game revolves around its pacing. I wrote a whole Steam review on it so I won't get it into it here (you can read it HERE.)

I wanted to love this game as an alternative to Minecraft. In reality though, it's a poor substitute for Minecraft. Between its SLOW pacing, complete lack of powered structures (no electricity or redstone equivalent whatsoever) and transportation (Minibikes exist now but they're nowhere as near as interesting as the Minecart system of Minecraft).
Another big problem with playing this game like Minecraft is the atmosphere. It's a post-apocalyptic world...about as far from "fun, inspiring world where anything is possible" as you can get! It doesnt' make you want to spend hours there to build something cool...which is fine because this isnt' meant to be a Minecraft clone, but...

I wanted to love this game as a zombie survival horror game. In reality though, it's unable to fill this void because of the REPETITION...holy crap, is this game repetitive. Between the fact that there's just nothing to do unless you're trying to build something that has no purpose and the fact that there's nothing to do once you reach the higher levels.
That's right - it's one of those games. Your purpose in surviving is to gain levels so you can...survive to gain more levels. That's monotonous enough, but what happens when you reach the max level? Nothing? Right you are! The game becomes even MORE redundant because there's nothing to do that has any purpose.

Why not just play "see how long you can live before you die" then, and reset the world when you die? We've tried this and it fails, too. Why? The randomness of the items you need combined with the repetition makes the early part of the game interesting for the first 1 or 2 playthroughs...but that's about it. It quickly gets old and the last thing you want to do is have to start all the way back from Day 1 AGAIN.

...Apparently I got into reviewing this game again here anyway. Sorry about that. :lol  

-----------------------

Burnout Paradise - Steam reviews: 5,488 positive, 834 negative (many related to DLC release issues, not the game itself).

This is an open-world racing game that is about as monotonous as it gets. I really didn't feel like the open world nature of this game served it well. A few people agreed with me but apparently an overwhelming majority of people still liked this game.

The fact that there are only 8 possible ends to a race, combined with the fact that 100% of your playtime is spent in the exact same environment, results in a game that starts to all look the same.

Again, I wrote a steam review for it, HERE.

Basically it can be summed up if you changed the name of the game to "Burnout: Orienteering". Memorizing the city layout is the absolute best thing you can do..and WOW are you screwed if you don't. The game forces you to navigate the tracks using street signs and a minimap. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT when you're driving at 200 km/h through a city you're not intimately familiar with!

This game, to me, is just a trainwreck. The fast-paced action-oriented gameplay is overshadowed so hard by the requirement to mapread and memorize the ENTIRE GAMEWORLD that it's just obnoxious. The game is just a royal pain to get into. I'll just go back to Burnout 3. :p

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well. for me the reason why I normally can't play games, is due to the fact you can barely do anything without paying for more. $10-15 a month for me is not worth it, I'm in High School and my Mom payed $120 for my Swim Team swim suit, I really can't go barking up the money tree and take another $15 from it each month. A lot of others have this problem too, we all have finances to play and when their are really cool fun games and you can't play them for whichever reason, can be very disappointing.
8 years with TGOF :yum

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Quote from: bestariana1girl,Oct 23 2015 on  09:38 AM
Well. for me the reason why I normally can't play games, is due to the fact you can barely do anything without paying for more. $10-15 a month for me is not worth it, I'm in High School and my Mom payed $120 for my Swim Team swim suit, I really can't go barking up the money tree and take another $15 from it each month. A lot of others have this problem too, we all have finances to play and when their are really cool fun games and you can't play them for whichever reason, can be very disappointing.
Try retro gaming and freeware gaming. Old games all come in one complete package even if they are... older. Of course, they also don't tend to be as buggy, because back in the day before this mindset of having to get these damn things out as quickly as possible (looking at you, Assassin's Creed: Unity), companies USED to have quality standards for the most part. None of this 'Eh, its good enough, let's just release it and fix the bugs later' nonsense.

I can recommend some good freeware games if you're interested.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: bestariana1girl,Oct 23 2015 on  09:38 AM
There are some great Free-to-play games. Team Fortress 2 will always be my favorite game, and you don't have to pay anything to play the whole thing. There's some great variety
There's some great variety in the selection on Steam, and that's before branching off into other providers like Origin and Battle.net.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Would Jak 2 count as a "critically acclaimed game"? Cause if so, then that's one I...no, actually, don't like is too nice to a disgrace like this filth. I loathe just about everything that it is. Behind Spyro The Eternal Night, this is the second worst game I've ever played in my life. I'd rather play Superman 64 than play this putrid excuse for a game (and yes I have played Superman 64).

I played the first Jak and Daxter and while it had its flaws and was frustrating at times, it was still a pretty interesting game. This thing (I won't call it a game) takes everything that made the first one so good and takes a big shit all over it. Now Jak has to be dark and brooding because...well because that was the thing back in the early 2000s. We saw it with movies like Daredevil, games like Shadow the Hedgehog (AKA Ow the Edge), etc. Take a character from a relatively fun and light hearted series and make them dark and always angry (I never really read or watched Daredevil so I don't know if he was necessarily light hearted but the point still stands). Yeah, that's good character development.

The game play is atrocious. Nothing is done particularly well. The hoverboard is a pain to use and feels like it's trying to appeal to fans of the Tony Hawk games (without realizing why they're fans of that franchise). It goes so slowly (yeah I know I can press forward on the thumb stick to make it go faster. It's still pretty slow either way), handles poorly, and is just downright terrible. The driving in this thing is a nightmare. You're either crashing into cars endlessly or people. Pick your poison. The vehicles also make no sense. Sometimes a vehicle that hasn't taken even an ounce of damage will blow up from colliding into one and other times they'll be able to take multiple dings until they can't take anymore. The driving also feels like it's trying to appeal to fans of GTA without realizing why those games' driving work while this one's doesn't.

The shooting is also terrible. Sometimes I'll be locked right onto an enemy and the blast won't hit them. What purpose do the guns even really serve to the game other than to try and appeal to fans of Halo and other FPSs at the time? And of course, that's not done well either. I didn't get to the races but from what I've seen and heard, they're no better than anything else this thing has to offer.

The checkpoints are awful and almost non existent. Had this thing had checkpoints, it wouldn't have been this tedious. It's downright obnoxious getting close to completing your objective and then you either get hit by an enemy too many times or fall into the lava and have to start all over. That's NES stuff. Also, I'm not trying to hate on the NES. I'm just saying that for a game from Gen 6, this is ridiculous. NES games at least had a reason for why they didn't normally offer checkpoints. Many of the games were ports of arcade games or would have only been an hour or two if not for making the games hard. This thing however takes at most seventeen to twenty hours to beat. This has no reason being so hard.

And for me, the most damning part of the game. The thing that, I'm actually surprised many people don't bring up: this game doesn't have an identity of its own. It tries to be a Jak (pun intended) of all trades but it's a master of none. The shooting is terrible, the driving is terrible, the "skateboard" is terrible, the platforming is only a bit better than these other parts. It has nothing it can truly call its own. Everything feels like it was done in other games and done better. Even though Jak and Daxter did feel reminiscent of games like Banjo-Kazooie or Super Mario 64, it still took elements that made those games great and tried to incorporate them into itself and for the most part, it worked. This just tried to be for everyone and just didn't do a good job at it.

I knew going in, this game's infamous difficulty but this was still asinine. With how bad this game was, I don't know if I ever want to give Jak 3 a try. I wanted to play all three of the original Playstation platformers. I enjoyed the Sly Cooper games for the most part (two got repetitive after awhile and three I didn't care for) and Ratchet and Clank is so far just okay. I'm still on the first one and am only on the first planet so it may more than likely get better. This series, however, I might be done with. I've heard that Jak 3 is supposed to be better and fix the second one's problems but I don't know if I can bring myself to try stepping into the Jak world again.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I did actually enjoy the story somewhat (maybe if this thing wasn't so punishing I could have really enjoyed it) and the graphics were pretty nice for a 2003 thing. Those were really the only things I could bring myself to like.