The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

New to the Big Screen

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
Last week I went to see Ultraviolet with some friends.  I thought it was an ok movie.  About 3 out of 5.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Isn't supposed to be kind of a rehash of "Aeon Flux"?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have a feeling it is.  But I haven't seen Aeon Flux yet.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Super-enhanced hot chick that works as Government opportative gets screwed over and now seeks to revenge. Takes place in some sci-fi future, featuring some hot actress. Exact same plot.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Sounds similar to Aeon Flux. I'm pretty sure Aeon Flux was a manga comic at some stage in history before it became a movie. I know critics have labelled it fairly poor but it sounds like the sorta flick I'd go to see (nope...still havent seen it yet). My friend from my old college told me that V for Vendetta is supposed to be a good 'un. Not heavily overdosed on the action as some other films like it but still worth the view and popcorn! LOL  :)

I might be standing alone here but, has anyone seen (or wants to see) Tarantino's latest horror "Hostel"? I looks pretty cool (despite the theme of it) coz Tarantino's flicks seem to have grown on me since about Kill Bill and I was tempted to go see it. Looks a tad bit grissly though but then again...blood and gore has never freaked me out before...

And of course, Ice Age 2 premiers here this coming Friday...yay!  :D

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wasn't "Hostel" one of those horror flicks or something? I just remember some of the things in the trailers looking demonic, or am I thinking of the wrong movie, because there seem to be a lot of those out now.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not to hot on the plot of Hostel but it's definitely not for the faint of heart. It got something to do with a group of people in some place who are physically and brutally tortured...for what reason I don't know...I haven't really looked into it. It's not so much that that sorta thing is the stuff I like, it's just that I've been intrigued by Tarantino's latest films and Hostel is another one...maybe it's outta league for a forum such as this but I was just enquiring to see if anyone knew about it...

But you are right there Raptor. There do seem to be a lot of horror films along the same sorta thread nowadays. Saw, Devil's Rejects...they all seem to be about some twisted psycho maiming and torturing victims but means of getting them to solve puzzles before they are killed off. Something in Saw (dunno if it's 1 or 2) about some guys with a head mounted REVERSE bear-trap on his head. He has to do something horrible to himself in order to escape it otherwise... :o I can't say I'm into horrors much but maybe, with most of them out on DVD now, I might have a fright night with a couple of friends LOL :DD

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I see...

Just avoid "Jeepers Creepers" and its sequel, if you get around to looking for some good scares. Those two films were a total waste (the villain looks like they just took the Freddie Krueger make-up and made it purple).

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
LOL....so I've heard. Jeepers Creepers is supposed to be abismal. I've seen most of the 1st one ad got bored but I haven't seen the 2nd one. Another horror series that I cant seem to take seriously is Final Destination. The one were a group of people manage to cheat death so it comes for them by making them victims of freak accidents. The deaths in those films were in some cases, I thought, hilerious. They're supposed to make you scream but I was screaming with laughter!  :lol Sounds a bit sadistic of me but I just could not take it seriously. It was way too predictable and even when it did catch me off guard, I wasn't frightened, I was in histerics.

Btw, a friend of mine from back home told me that he went to see Hostel and he thought it was excellent. He thought it out-did Kill Bill but I'm gonna have to decide on that for myself.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I mainly like horror movies with a SciFi setting to it.  I think the best one I've seen was 28 Days Later.  As well as the first Alien movie.  (I still have yet to watch the other three  ;) )

Sorry the next chapter of my story is taking so long, my agonizing trip to California not only caused me to get the stomach flu, but a bad case of writer's block when I came back home.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
28 days later is a wickid film. I wonder how much they had to fork out to get entire sections of Central London to look absolutely deserted :unsure: And they're normally some of the busier stretches of the city too. Musta bin a shed load LOL  :lol:

Oh and as for the Alien series, in this particular occasion I'd agree that "the original is best". They seemed to get progressively worse as they brought out more sequels. Ressurrection was quite sad considering the success of the first one. But I mean, if you're into the series then by all means check it out but it seemed like more of the same to me. Alien attacks, someone dies (or nearly dies), they lose it and the process repeats over again. But like I said, if it's your swing then swing as high as you like! LOL  :DD

As for the writer's block Cyberlizard...I wouldn't worry too much. It's a phase you'll get over. You just need something for a little inspiration is all. You'll find it eventually ;)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ice Age 2 comes out today, the reviews have been good.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Still got another week to go here. Me and a couple of friends are gonna go see it. Can't wait!  :D

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Same goes for me. I definitely won't see it on the release day though. My Dad is marrying :). Won't be a long waiting time though, for my stepmom is quite a fan of Ice Age.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I will give this film, "Ice Age 2" a chance, although I am not expecting much out of it.

I just went to see "V for Vandetta" a couple days ago. I was good film, but not for the faint of heart, nor for those of us who tend towards a pacifist mindset (the hero kills a quite a few people on his political conquest).

"Inside Man", which I saw yesterday was also awsome! You actually root for the villain far more than you root for the hero.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 31 2006 on  04:25 PM
Same goes for me. I definitely won't see it on the release day though. My Dad is marrying :). Won't be a long waiting time though, for my stepmom is quite a fan of Ice Age.
Oh, well congratulations to your father and his wife-to-be. :)

I really need to watch the first Ice Age again.  I have only seen it once, and that was almost 3 years ago.  I can't remember much from it :rolleyes:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just got back from seeing Ice Age 2.  I liked it and thought it was pretty good.  Funny also.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ijust got back frm "Ice Age 2" as well. I set low expectations for the film and they couldn't even reach them.

(Spoiler)

There's a bizarre scene where Sid is hailed as a god by some small, rainbow colored sloffs. The scene left me thinking "what the hell here the filmmakers smoking?"

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's called padding the length time."
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree with F-14 Ice Age 2 was pretty good. The most recent movie that I saw Benchwarmers though I didn't like it at all.