The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT 9 weeeee

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I've just watched lbt 9.. yeah yeah.. I know all of you have already watched it.. but I'm a bit behind on the sequels =p I loved it it's such a cute film... and the brazilian guys used the right names for the first time... anyway I was worried Mo wouldn't make it.. but he turned out ok.. I'd like to have seen the scene when Mo escapes fom that mososaurus. Basically thats it, just letting you know I've seen it =P
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
So you liked Mo just as much as I did? :)  You should hear his english voice because that was the really neat thing about him as it makes him sound like something of the water.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Yeah.. I believe the brazilian guys did a nice work.. he sounds a bit dolphin like.. but his voice is very cute =p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
LBT 9 was really beautiful! I consider it definitely the best of the recent sequels. The music (especially "No one has to be alone") was very beautiful too, and there were scenes that actually made me almost cry!
Did you realize that there were several scenes very similar to scenes in LBT 1? I doubt this was mere coincidence.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Hmm.. I really didn't notice that.. can you tell me witch scenes?

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hmmm...me too...which scenes are in question here, Malte?  :huh:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are several scenes during the fight with the swiming sharptooth that remind me very much of the final fight with the sharptooth in LBT one. I do not mean this in a negative sense (not like they copied something; they did tell a whole different story), but similar compositions seemed to "invite" to remember the first movie. Also the idea of an earthquake causing a crack in the landscape that separates Littlefoot and the others from their parents seemed familiar (though this time they had to find an "explanation" why Petrie can't simply fly across that crack. That explanation was a little week, but it was necessary to allow the rest of the nice story to take place).

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I suppose the earthshake was similar but they've used them before in other films.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
But it's the first time since the first movie an earthquake caused a crack that seperated the kids from their parents.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hmmm...you do have a point there. ;)

I still can't get over how much I like Mo!!! :D

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I remember I was absolutely shocked when I saw him for the first time when they published LBT 9's cover in the internet. "Pokemon invasion in LBT, or what?" was about my first reaction on this shrill colored creature.
But when I watched the movie it didn't bother me at all. With the somewhat paler colors of the grownup members of Mo's waterkin it seemed acceptible. Not before that time I realized that nobody ever had a problem with a violet sharptooth (Chomper)!

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Yeah.. I got the same inpression.. I thought Mo was gonna be somewhat too childish but when I saw him I was impressed t how different he looked from the cover... I think he's the cutest 1 time apearence ever =p

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can't say exactly whom of them I liked better, but with his sometimes a bit unsensitive sense of humor Mo definitely had more of a distinct characteristic feature than Chomper. In LBT 2 Chomper was actually little more than a Dinah and Dana character. Being unable to speak doesn't disqualify a character from being important (Spike), but actually only the fact that he is a sharptooth made Chomper a somewhat more special case. The only characteristic feature about Chomper is that he is very sensitive in both movies where he appeared. I'd actually like to learn a little more about him.
One thing about characters who appear in one (or in Chomper's case two) movie(s) is that it is almost always Littlefoot who makes friend with the character or at least deals with the character more than the others (Chomper, Ali, Doc, Mo... even Mr. Thicknose whom Littlefoot didn't like and vice versa was mainly connected to him). The only exceptions were Dinah and Dana who by nature were more attached to Cera (but here again they are characters who can't be compared to Ali, Doc, Mo or Mr Thicknose), and Pterano (the only case of a really interesting character attached more to somebody else than Littlefoot).

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yeah, we really don't learn much about Chomper, even when he is able to speak.  I can't even master what character traits he has.  :blink:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think we can say for sure that he is a rather sensitive soul. It really hurt him (in both, LBT 2 and 5) when the others distrusted him, but he never ever said anything critical about any of them (e.g. Cera) while it was always Littlefoot who spoke up on his behalf. Neither did he show distinctly (in LBT 5) that he was hurt by Cera's words.
Actually he lacks any kind of aggression one might expect from a sharptooth. It is somewhat difficult imagining the Chomper we know so far hunting for his meals.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I suppose I wouldn't mind Chomper being evil at times for that is the character of a t-rex...to eat another creature.  ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They probably wanted to keep this out of a movie for children, which is why eating a dragonfly in LBT 2 was the "worst" we ever saw of Chomper. But he obviously doesn't feed on dragonflies for all his live. In LBT 5 he comes up with an excuse to his parents about the smell of a longneck (while Littlefoot and the others are hiding in a bush nearby) coming from a burp while he had longneck for breakfast.
It would make an interesting (but difficult) story that would REALLY focus on the problems of the relationship between a sharptooth and his herbivore friends.
For example what if "food" was running low on the Mysterious island. Could Littlefoot and the others possibly try to help Chomper and his folks to get away from the island? If they do, they are bound to kill other leafeaters (and don't forget about the fate of Littlefoot's mother which was never ever mentioned to Chomper), but if they don't Chomper and his folks would be starving. And if Littlefoot and the others came to that island with the hungry sharptooth, how long would their friendship be a top priority over the hunger?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
You're right.. but like you said this is a movie targeted for children so Idought they'd want to show an evil Chomper atacking his friends... probably Littlefoot and the gang would just help them get off the island...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No doubt on the fact they avoid such complicate issues in a movie aimed at children. However, could it even be considered evil if Chomper attacked? I mean he too wants to live. It would be evil if he attacks any of his friends who trust him, but could we blame him to attack some other leafeating dinosaur he doesn't know? I recall reading an article written by Don Bluth in which he complains about having a problem to see sharptooth as a villain at all, simply because he has to eat meat to survive.
I once wrote a land before time story during which Chomper is hunting Ali (he doesn't know her) and is only stopped because of the intervention of Littlefoot and the others. You can imagine that afterwards his relationship with Ali is somewhat "strained" over this. I tried to deal with the whole problem in that story, but I can't say for sure if I dealt with it sufficiently. No reader ever told me.