The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 80291

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Just a theory, but it could have something to do with my DirectX... the more recent versions seem to require XP Service Pack 3, which means it's probably time for me to upgrade... maybe. Not really sure. :o

EDIT: Woops. scratch that. It supports SP2 as well, lol. Gonna update and see what happens.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You may want to do that anyway :) I know people said it caused some trouble in the beginning, but switching from SP 2 to SP 3 should work normally.

But hmm.. Direct X 9 should do and that one is normally with SP 2 as well.

Edit: Seems like you edited your post when I posted.. but yes :p

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
still doesn't work...even on my desktop? wth???
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You mean you still cant extract the files or it just wont play?

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
it won't play? my desktop is xp. the game used to work on it? wtf?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Unfortunately I have no idea what's going on.  Neither Iris or I can come up with any logical reason why you two would both be having so many problems with the last couple of versions, while they have worked for you two in the past.  

Do any other games on your computers have any issues, or are there any other odd behaviours on your computers at all?  There isn't any reason why our game in particular should have problems, assuming your drivers and directX are up to date, you meet the system requirements, and your Windows installation is not corrupt or something.

You're welcome to wait and see how v0.25 works on your computers, but it will include the same .dll files as the previous versions so I don't see why it would work any differently.

Would you be interested in me posting a much older version, say 0.19 or something like that, to test?  Just to see what happens?  In theory though, it should work exactly the same as v0.23.

Vek

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaelvek
Hey i have a question about the final version of the game: Will we be able to choose the color skin and eyes of ours character or we will all be clones with just different names ?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yep yep! :D There will be a large number of colour choices for each character, as well as the ability to choose your species.

For example, you may choose a longneck, then choose one of a few different longneck species.  Each species will have the same stats/abilities in-game, but will look different. :D

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Do any other games on your computers have any issues, or are there any other odd behaviours on your computers at all? There isn't any reason why our game in particular should have problems, assuming your drivers and directX are up to date, you meet the system requirements, and your Windows installation is not corrupt or something.

No, there is exactly ZERO issues when I'm running other games (even CPU-intensive ones like Crysis), no "odd behaviours" whatsoever. My DirectX and ALL my drivers are up-to-date, and I think my crap system can handle the game well enough. And I don't think my Windows installation is corrupt either, otherwise I would've faced more issues than just with this game. :p

Would you be interested in me posting a much older version, say 0.19 or something like that, to test? Just to see what happens? In theory though, it should work exactly the same as v0.23.

Sure. There's no harm in trying. :)

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Just tried running that version... it worked. And just to be sure, I tried running v0.2492 again after that, but still nothing.

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jul 6 2010 on  02:56 AM
Yep yep! :D There will be a large number of colour choices for each character
so did any of the skins that i submitted make it into the new release?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Not yet metadude, we haven't looked into the programming of that part yet. I'm glad that the version worked for you Excalibur. We're thinking there may be a problem with the maps.

Version 0.22 is the last version in which we used the old map system, care for trying that one? http://lbtserver.co.cc/Members/Mumbling/v0.22.zip

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Just tried it. Didn't work, unfortunately. :unsure:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ok, then it has nothing to do with the new map system.

Sorry, I really don't know what could be causing it. If you want you can try version 0.20 and 0.21 and tell us if they work, but I honestly don't think we can help much.

v 0.20 http://www.mediafire.com/?5ejjmezinnn
v 0.21 http://www.mediafire.com/?mtlzi0iqvzw

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
v0.21 doesn't seem to work, but v0.20 does... So I guess anything from v0.21 and up won't work me. =\

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
none of the versions work for me so far....i'll check to see if i need to update my laptop

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The main changes for version 0.21 were sound and music. Have you recently updated your sound card driver or perhaps you need to update it?

Metadude, I honestly don't know what the problem on your end is. I can only say that you should wait for version 0.25 and see if it works or not.

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm already using the latest driver version for my sound card. The last time they released an updated driver for my sound card was in 2008, and since then they haven't had anymore updated drivers up till now. (I have a Realtek AC'97 sound card, if you're wondering)

I tried reinstalling the driver, but that still doesn't fix the crash.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
We went over all the code that runs before you will see aaaanything on the screen (before the resolution screen anyway): aka. everything that could potentially be crashing.

May I just confirm, Excalibur:
The game crashes before you see *anything* on the screen.  You don't even see the "choose resolution" screen, correct?

There is nothing before that screen that is different when you compare version 0.20 and 0.21 (except for loading sound/music).
So ya..the only difference is the sound/music stuff. Other than that..I really don't know, man.