The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tell us something about yourself!

action9000 · 2439 · 174580

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
None of you are aware of this, but on this very day, I was born with a mild form of autism known as Aspergers Syndrome. It's incurable, and I've lived with it my whole life. Due to being born with this disorder, I've managed to take advantage of it and it has molded me into the highly intelligent young man I am today. Not very many who have autism of any form are as lucky as I am.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
You're in good company. :yes I have Asperger's myself, as do quite a few other members on the GOF (there are some with other disorders on the autism spectrum as well). We even have a thread on the subject.

The Aspie traits I personally exhibit most strongly include relatively narrow but very intense interests, obsession over details, awkwardness in social situations, and physical clumsiness, as well as unusually sensitive hearing and touch.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I was recently diagnosed with an "Asperger's Syndrome-like" condition. Apparently, I show strong social awkwardness. Not to mention I have a very strong sense of smell, taste and hearing.

On a side note, just recently I got bored and decided to bend a small piece of narrow steel tubing over my thigh. It is not as hard as it seems; straightening it out required a lot more effort and a pair of leather gloves. Granted, the one time my grip strength has been tested, I exerted over 120 pounds of pressure with my right hand alone and over 170 pounds of pressure with both hands. For comparison, I weigh about 115 pounds.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Everyone gets diagnosed with some kind of autism these days.

Personally, I think these diagnosises are asinine.

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh... well, I didn't know that were others here who have it. Thanks for telling me that Pangaea. It's good to know that I'm not the only one.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Alex,Jun 14 2010 on  06:40 PM
Everyone gets diagnosed with some kind of autism these days.

Personally, I think these diagnosises are asinine.
This is a subject for the aforementioned Asperger's Syndrome thread
Asperger's Syndrome thread (quote me and post there if you wish to respond), but while is certainly likely that several people believe themselves to have Asperger's or other ASDs due to taking an online test (considerably less reliable than a professional evaluation), when in fact that they do not, but there are definitely individuals who are genuinely on the autism spectrum. Furthermore, I have heard that ASD diagnoses may appear to be on the increase because people are more aware of them.

Quote from: Blitz,Jun 14 2010 on  07:49 PM
Oh... well, I didn't know that were others here who have it. Thanks for telling me that Pangaea. It's good to know that I'm not the only one.
You're welcome. I thought the same thing when I came here and found that out. :D (You know, this means that two LBT fans with Asperger's made their introductory posts on the GOF on the same day of the year, two years in a row . . . who'da thunk it? :wow)

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oddly enough, it sure does. Even I'm a bit surprised by that.  :wow

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Because of a birth condition, my left thumb can't really bend.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have double-jointed toes. My big toes in particular can bend back at an almost 90-degree angle. I'm also pretty good at picking things up with my feet. :p

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I found out that I have amazing pedal dexterity... I folded and threw a fairly complicated paper airplane using only my feet and I can tie a simple overhand knot using my feet.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I get random spells of vertigo ("the room starts spinning").  I think this may have been caused by a car wreck I was in several years ago, for I never had any vertigo-like activity beforehand :blink:.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I indeed do not have any medical condition that I can brag about. :(

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
well blitz you are not alone in having austism and similar conditions.. there are a number of people here , myself included youhave very similar stories as yours..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I once went airborne when goin' down one of those vertical waterslides...and almost crashed into a bridge that stood at least twenty-five feet above the bottom of the slide :blink:.

I also nearly flew out of a rollercoaster car once :p.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ O-kay :o . . . my enthusiasm for trying out a roller coaster or vertical water slide just dropped considerably. :blink:

I don't particularly mind heights (in fact, I rather like the views provided by high vantage points :p), but I have a strong fear of falling from them, so whenever I get close to a precarious precipice (even if I'm just behind a railing overlooking a staircase), I tend to become faintly nervous (the intensity of which increases with the precariousness), and move cautiously.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I indeed do not have any medical condition that I can brag about. :(
My deepest sympathies to you for that one :lol
The second and third toe of my feet are grown together up to the first joint. When my Dad saw this in hospital he asked a medic if this was bad and if something could be done about it. He was told that there was no problem with that and that it was probably genetic. It was only then that he first noticed his second and third toes were grown together to the first joint as well :p

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ Wow! It took him that long to notice?! :lol

The technical term for that condition is syndactyly (fused digits). A little research tells me that you have incomplete simple syndactyly (digits not fused all the way to the tip, and connected only by soft tissue).

My cat has the opposite condition: polydactyly (extra digits). Sasquatch has seven toes on each of his front paws and six toes on each of his back paws, :wow resulting in his abnormally large feet, and, in turn, his name. :p (He apparently had a sister, Yeti, and a brother, Wookiee, who were polydactyl as well, as well as a second sister, Nessie, who wasn't.)

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I used to launch rockets, and had one of them fail to go ten metres due to an underpowered engine, had one travel over a mile and nearly reach sub-orbit, and had one explode in the sky with the rest of the public school watching - the pilot capsule ejected but due to strong winds was never recovered.

I used to race go-karts, and ran at a world championship course wherein I finshed 14th out of 50 drivers.  I raced a grand total of two classes - Junior Heavy and Junior Rotax Supercharges - and I won a single race in both categories

I own a sword in my bedroom, which I take out everytime the coyoties run by my window at night - just in case.

I have jumped off a 30 foot cliff into a deep lake, and witnessed an eight year old child do a backflip while performing the same jump.

I have dove in the Gulf of Mexico and visited a coral reef filled with plants and even small sharks.  The current carried me over a shallow portion, so I was forced to float inches above the barbs to avoid being stung before being carried into deeper water.

I scored my first ever hat trick in hockey (that is 3 goals in one game) in a tournament, so it was never recorded in the league standings.

I attended a Wargames convention using model soldiers of Warhammer 40K and walked away with one of their only three awards - the Sportsmanship Award.

World Renowned proffessor Stephen Hawking is currently teaching the class that I am enrolled for next fall at University of Waterloo.

I was apart of an organization called 'Medvents' and we were credited by the Governer General of Canada as heroes for saving a man's life in the wilderness.  The mayor of our town presented the award to us in person.

My uncle is a pilot, and he took us in a personal flight over top of our house to take pictures last summer.

My proffessor's daughter is the personal secretary of Stephen Harper, the prime minister of Canada.

I have touched a ring worn by Rod Sealing, a famous defenseman on the Canadian hockey team during the '69 Summit Series' between Canada and Russia.

I have touched a plate that was once attached to the Stanley Cup which had Wayne Gretsky's name written on it 3 times.

I had a picture taken with me and Alex Tagliani, a famous Formula One racer.

I played a hockey game on the ice with Paul Coffey, a famous Chicago Blackhawks player.  He shared nachos with me and my best friend.

My family has the privilage of owning a Dodge Viper, and I have driven it 3 times since we bought it (and not crashed it thankfully).

I have watched somebody's house burn to the ground - twice.

My partner at work was a British Soldier... his most notable placement was guarding Rudolph Hess - that is, Hitler's deputy.

I think that about covers it for things to know about me  :lol

Caustizer.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm...lemme see...

-I know more things about anime (Especially Gundam, Inuyasha, and Fullmetal Alchemist) than are probably ever going to be useful

-I currently work a graveyard shift at Kohl's.

-I own more weapons than are probably normal.

-I can use a 6-foot tall katana fairly well

-I tend to hyperfocus on things

-My IQ is 160

-I am Bi, and proud of it

-I am quite happily in a (very) polyamorous relationship

-I love video games

-I have a Super Nintendo Super Scope peripheral, but no Super Nintendo.

-I have an Eagle Scout, a Second Degree Black Belt, and am a Certified Red Cross lifeguard

Ask me if you want to know more.