The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Done

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Done.
It's kind of an odd feeling. I had been looking forward to typing this message for quite a while expecting it to be of a "lord of the rings - the ring is destroyed now" kind of tone, but for the moment it doesn't quite feel like it.
Today I handed in my final university papers so I am officially done with my studies now. Of course I am happy that the work is finished, of course I had been looking forward to it (the preemptive joy actually surpassing the relief of this moment), and I'm very confident that, having done a good job, I'm going to get a good mark in two months from now (at the latest).
But there is also kind of a gap now. That work had been most of my daily contents for nine months and it is not quite easy to "shut down" now. Not even sure if shutting down is really what I want to do. After all there is a lot left to be written about my topic (the German newspaper coverage of the American Civil War) that I could not fit on the 90 pages of the papers I handed in today. Completing that work may be the next task as a dissertation that would get me a doctor's degree, so if I wanted to I guess I could just go on starting to write about the coverage of the Lincoln assassination, of the atrocities committed against colored troops, of the technical developments, of the battle of Gettysburg, and hundreds of other topics yet to be covered. But I'm not sure if I want to yet.
Adam told me to "get a damn break" :lol and he has a good point. But somehow doing nothing is driving me both lazy and crazy. But in spite of the wish to do something I don't seem to get much done now. Many posts etc. which I wanted to write in the GOF ages ago already are still unwritten even though I do have the time available to write them now, but somehow not the mood. Maybe I just need a couple of wasted days to be back to normal.
Well, at least I got something done today. Some pictures were taken of the inside of my head (magnetic resonance tomography done to make sure that the incident of late may was indeed caused by a hypoqlycamia, not anything else) today and the insides seem to look the way they are supposed to. Interesting pictures by the way.
Moreover I just poured some silicon caoutchouc (I wonder if I will ever be able to spell that word without looking it up in an online dictionary) over the five land before time shoe-charms which I bought recently so if everything works out alright I may have a new LBT tin-mould for no less than five figures by tomorrow.
Finally I'm practicing playing the harmonica these days hoping to make it an instrument of music rather than an instrument of torment in my hands before setting out on August 5th to meet up with Gustav, Jason, and Patrick in Sweden. Now THAT's something I'm really looking forward to without any cut backs :D
Speaking of cut backs the completing of the studies and turning into something other than a student is also a little bitter sweet due to the fact that I got the confirmation today that there is no chance for me to get the job I have been applying for after my 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th semester already. The institute for North American History (same as any other place at the university) doesn't have the budget to pay for another scientific assistant. The weirdest thing about it all is that the need for more scientific assistants and lecturers is there, even the money is there in abundance, but the money that the university has from the study fees which had been introduced in 2007 must not be spend for wages of personal. There is a reason, an understandable reason even, for this, but I guess explaining it would go too far into German highschool finance politics to keep up any interest.
Professor Wala told me that while working on my dissertation I could apply for a scolarship as there seems to be enough money for those as well. I still don't like getting money for anything than doing a reliable job. –Pecunia non olet“, money doesn't smell Vespasian is supposed to have said. Still I hope not to be dependent on such gifts :unsure:
Anyway, all this rather damp talk does neither befit my general situation, nor my optimist and cheerful nature, so at least I will close with a picture of triumph with one issue of my final work in my hand (note that this is the version I printed for myself. The versions I handed in had the seal of the university on the cover rather than this self-designed image that refers to the topic):

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
You can¥t imagine how glad I am to hear that Malte :) It was really a hard, but also interesting time for you I guess. And you can be proud about your work. Because you really did an awesome job there. Congratulations my friend and I am really looking forward to our trip to gratulate you for real :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Congratulations.  and you can do some notes if you decide to go for a doctorate.  You can either stop completely, or sort of wind down.  For some it's best to wind down gradually instead of stopping totally, others prefer to stop, which is best only you can decide.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm glad to hear you're done, and I'm also disappointed to hear ya never got the job.  Oh, well.  I'm sure they'll be able to afford the position soon :yes.  As for your upcoming meeting in August, I'm so jealous!  Lucky dogs :smile.  I'm sure y'all will have a great time.

Hey, is that picture taken after your accident?  I see what looks like a mark on your right arm, so I'm not sure.  If so, your burns healed up really nicely :yes.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ Aye, the picture was taken yesterday and yes the spot on my right arm is from the accident. I think I didn't post any pictures of the arm then so if you are interested in seeing that here are two links:
http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh475/M...os/IMG_1055.jpg, http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh475/M...os/IMG_1046.jpg
I was really lucky about all this. While the pictures look grizzly it did not hurt so much and it really healed over very well and quickly. Moreover I was lucky that it was only the arm and the face (rather than more water getting into the eye or over the hand). Since I have started posting "freak show images" here are two more taken just yesterday (the magnetic resonance tomography which I mentioned above). This pictures go to show that the insides of my head are still in place. And thus I become the first ever GOF member to post pictures of the own brain here :lol
http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh475/M...s/Schaedel5.jpg
Wouldn't the one below make for a nice passport photo? :p
http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh475/M...s/Schaedel6.jpg

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Congrats Malte! This has been coming for a long time and I'm glad to hear you finally have it done.  The transition from student to worker isn't easy, and now your big challenge is finding that job--that could be even harder than writing the Lincoln assassination paper you want to.

I think you'll manage, there are quite a few positions you could do with a history degree--teaching, research, tourism....its not limited to one thing.  Take a break from it all (at least one week) and move onto the next step of your life.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
Congratulation Malte with your end work.
I hope you'll find a job in the future, or find an alternative. As for now, you should do as the rest have been saying so far. Take a break. You might find a solution easier then before...

Wouldn't the one below make for a nice passport photo? dino_tongue.gif
scary... actually scary... :blink:  :blink:

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Congrats! But yeah man, take a break.

Good lookin' brain by the way.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
That's awesome Malte! And I guess no one can put it better then as Petrie put it, "Take a *bleepin* break!" :lol You should, you earned it!

I just want to say, I'm that way. I feel that I ALWAYS have to do something, even though I don't need to. :p I'm glad to know I'm not alone in that. :)

I'm glad things are looking very good with ya! :D