The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask Ptyra

Ptyra · 115 · 8460

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Hm. That's a hard question. But it would probably be King Cobras, since they come off to me as a very unusual snake, considering how they're the only snake that makes something of a nest, guards it, keeps an eye out for the hatched babies at least for a little while, and some possibly mate for life. There's also the fact that they see farther than any others and is the only snake to see in a particular way (purple?), and has mistaken identity...A LOT.

You won't believe how annoyed I am that Nag and Nagaina are described as Monocled Cobras in Rikki-Tikki-Tavi...so in my "extended version", I take away the desriptions of anything that could set them of as a Monocled (like having Nag be fourteen feet long instead of five)

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
So what's the story behind your fondness of pterano?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(Why am I always late to check these?)
I became interested in Pterano around the time VII came out. I really didn't have a reason to like him...I just did. Now, I can really see his charisma and can even make some associations with him (I have delusions of grandeur that will probably never come to be XD ). But he's also a fine example of an anti-villain, where the bad things he has done aren't intentional, and he regrets them.
And his actor is awesome. T'wern't for Pterano, I wouldn't have found Mr. York :DD

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
How did your hybrid animal OCs (Dromio and Thisbe) come to be? I’m curious about both what inspired you to create them, and what you imagined their origins to be in whatever fictional universe they inhabit.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thisbe started off as Bat-Snake, my internet alias on another forum. Dromio started off as my boyfriend's internet alias "Sonic" (after the "hedgehog"). I had a small storyline for the two, and then decided to create two completely different characters with similar designs.
Their story is that they and four others were part of an illegal experiment out in the middle of nowhere by scientists. The first four were attempted creations of new members for Canidae, Felidae, Aves, and Mustilidae (at one point, there was a rodent, but he didn't quite fit). Thisbe and Dromio came in as an attempt to create an entirely new animal. They were also tests of animal intelligence, and they got too smart to keep locked up, and eventually they escaped. They then try to find the "perfect" home for themselves. I like to put them in a Kingdom Hearts-like adventure where they bounce between places with some form of magic.  

The group still isn't as smart as their creators, and probably will never find out how exactly they were created. They do have some side-effects from their mix-and-matching, like that Thisbe and Dromio are extremely weak in their lower bodies and have to ride the dog and cat a lot. Thisbe is also extremely compulsive and annoying (Combine all three of the Warner Siblings with Freakazoid. Thar you go), at she usually gets worn out by it, but can never sleep quite right, thus talks a ton of nonsense in her sleep, keeping Dromio awake. Thisbe and Dromio are also completely and totally sterile, so even if they wanted to, they couldn't breed (the scientists had made them similar in hopes that possibilities of a new animal coming from the two of them, but obviously that was an enormous failure).

I don't think I can find their own plotline that involves them going into different universes, though. For a while, there was one where they had to find their own home AND were chased by former allies of theirs.
In the mixing into different worlds, they come upon a mystical Avalon-ish place that they call Spira Locus (Spiral Place...I hope the translation is right...). Spira Locus is an enormous tree that grew in a spiral shape, and the group (somehow manages to) build on it and it becomes their 'perfect home'. Lots and lots of little rooms on it XD . I like to think of Treetown from Dinotopia, and maybe even the Lost Boys' house in "Hook".

One of the things that made Bat-Snake different from Thisbe is that she had glasses, a different shade of brown, and had a great big floof of fur on the top of her head. Sonic is different from Dromio in that he has a hedgehog back, and blue-tipped "cartoon hedgehog" spikes on his neck. They were both a bit more snake-like in the face, where Dromio is more like a Lapine, and Thisbe is more like a fruit bat.

Some of the universes you've seen them in have been LBT (Thisbe interacting with Pterano) and The Brave Little Toaster (Dromio and Thisbe's date with Lampy and Radio present). I've also had them in The Animals of Farthing Wood, where Thisbe makes numerous distractions for the bad guy and attracts them away from the good guys...mostly by being extremely annoying. I might even put them in Star Wars for the fun of it. Mercy help Thisbe if she annoys a Wookie.

I really hope that made sense...

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Stupid question:

What're your major pet peeves?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
People who don't take school seriously
Radicals of ANY group
Lazy politicians
Any of those types of people in general

Well, that was a boring answer 0_o

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just fine. I'm needing to clean up for the yard sale coming up on Friday, needing to get my sleep schedule fixed for next Monday (as school is starting), and I'm hyped for all the new Bone stuff coming out

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, kind of a sad backstory for Dromio and Thisbe. :(

I’m curious about the four other OCs you created: Were they also hybrids, but of different animals from their respective taxonomic groups? Basically, I’m wondering how they’re distinct from other dogs, cats, birds, and mustelids. :) And are they characters that you still draw and/or write about, or have you basically dropped them?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've had a lot of trouble creating them, since the story is mostly about Thisbe and Dromio. I have drawn them before, but it's incredibly difficult. In the "crossover stories", each of the characters has a chance of being the hero. But after working with Dromio and Thisbe for so long, their stories are a small challenge.

The Canid is named Claudio. He's the "old man" of the group (the kind that really gruff and will talk your ear off about how he fought in WWII Europe). I mostly aim for him to be a mix between herding dogs, African Wild Dog, and coyote.
The Feline is Portia. She sometimes acts "catty" but is usually a bit of a "Southern bell" (Or like Miss Kitty in An American Tale: Fivel Goes West). She's younger than Claudio, and sometimes seems a bit younger. I imagine Portia to be a mix between a Pallas Cat, Jaguar, Maine Coon, and Savannah Cat
The bird is Cressida. She's older than Thisbe and Dromio, but is still quite young. She has a mixed relationship with Portia, but they somehow manage to be friends. Of the entire group, she is perhaps the most laid-back and calm, and usually tries to be the voice of reason when disaster comes to a head, usually within the group. Crissida is a combination of most of the Heron family, and at the moment, I am trying to find some more birds that would fit with her.
The Mustilid is Peaseblossom. He's the baby of the group (but he used to be the same age as Dromio and Thisbe). He has the attitude of a six-year-old, and will truly "become one" depending on the situation at hand. Since he is the smallest of the group, he feels insignificant, despite the fact that he does do some very "big" heroic deeds for the group. He is a mix between a River Otter, Least Weasel, Black-Footed Ferret, and Badger. His Otter quarter will result in him bigger than he thought he would be as an adult.

I was going to have them be a mix of all sorts of animals, but it was much harder a task than it was with Dromio and Thisbe.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What exactly is the new Bone merchandise you’re excited for? :)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
* Bone handbook
* Bone: Tall Tales
* 2011 calender (This is on my Christmas list)
* Bone LEGACY: QUEST FOR THE SPARK :wow !!!!

As for low-key ones:
* The Art of Bone
* Kingdok action figure (Mostly because of how amused I am that you can detach his right arm :DD )

But boy, would I also like to get some of the "smaller" Rat Creature figures...which includes Bartleby. I'm indifferent about one of the two Fone Bone plushes, but I'd probably flip my lid if I got one anyway....especially the life-sized one X3 .

Oh, and the Rat Creature chase flip book. It's out-of-print now, though. But I did catch it for buy it now on Ebay.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, I didn't realize they made so many Bone products! :!

Any new progress on your dinosaur story about the Troodon and the Pteranodon? :)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(Oh yes, there have been tons of Bone merchandise over the past two decades)
There's still a ton of kinks I'm trying to work out, especially with the Pteranodon. I guess it would be one of those things that should intentionally be a mystery forever; never explain how it happened.
There's a lot that can be done, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You mean about how the Pteranodon ended up so far from home? Did you plan on her being too young to fly? (If not, I still think that my suggestion that she was blown far inland while learning to fly could work, since it's possible that Pteranodon was capable of flight very soon after hatching.)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, that part :) . The story takes place from the Troodon's point of view, and all he knows about her is that she got to him from the river, so he assumes that she came from somewhere that he could follow the river from.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Been a while since I've asked you anything.

Have you come up with anything new on your Troodon/Pteranodon story, or any of your other projects? :)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What made you interested in Darkwing Duck? :)

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile