The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Windows 7 Experience!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hi guys!  I am currently in the process of backing up my computer and so that I can make the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7.

I have already cleaned and checked my computer to ensure it is ready for the install.

To those wanting to make the jump, to ensure you're ready, download the following program.  It'll check all the little details for you. :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...de-advisor.aspx

So, I'm going to give you guys the full report of what you can expect with Windows 7.  Let's get the full report from someone you can really trust. ;)

Note that I am using the more expensive Windows 7 Pro for this test.

So, let's begin. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I am using my DSi for this post.

I have installed Windows 7 onto my computer and am currently putting my files back on.  However, I have yet to connect to the internet.

Anyways, the experience of Windows 7 has been a rather good one.

The install was MUCH faster than what it was for XP.  I have a 1 TB internal hard drive.  On XP, it normally took 4 hours to finish.  The install for Windows 7 took me just under 40 minutes.  It was WAY faster.

I have indeed found programs to be easier to find than they were in Vista.  The look is very simular to that of Vista.  However, it is more detailed.

The Welcome screen is just beautiful.  It's a simple animation of the Windows Icon that is a must have.

The options they have for Customization are amazing.  It's hard to choose what to go with.  I'll make sure to pick something though.

I've been able to install several different items with the help of the Windows XP mode.  It's been quite helpful. :)

I'll give more once I'm done with my internet connection and settings.

Until then, see ya! :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
To be perfectly honest, Windows Vista and Windows 7 are basically identical right now aside from the visual features.

On XP, it normally took 4 hours to finish.

Well that's not right.  I install XP several times a day at least and even on a piece of crap 1.6ghz P4 with 256mb of ram and a 20gb hard drive it only takes about 25 minutes.  Windows Vista and 7 take longer to install of course because they're much larger operating systems.  Heck, you can tell that just by the fact that Windows XP is on a regular CD whereas Windows Vista and 7 are on a DVD.  Not to mention the installs are MUCH larger.  Windows XP is around 2.3gb, Vista is about 8.9gb, and 7 is about 7.6gb

If it takes you 4 hours to format your computer, you've got MAJOR problems (or a really bad disk or something).  I've never had an install take any longer than an hour, and it took that long one time because the CD drive was really iffy.  I had to take out the disk and put it back in like a hundred times. :rolleyes: It was a laptop so I couldn't replace the drive very easily so I decided to just go for it.

EDIT:
Oh sheesh.  You're not doing the quick format when installing Windows XP are you?  Well of course it's gonna take a thousand years to perform a full format on a 1tb hard drive! :bang Windows Vista and 7 don't even have the full slow format option.  Just format in XP by selecting the "quick" option and it'll format in about 10 seconds (literally).

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay guys, I officially have internet access. :)

Now, the reason it took so long was because I had forgotten to update the drivers.  The only way I could connect was by using an Ethernet cable.  After doing that, only then could I update and get it working.

Anyways, I have found some rather nice goodies with Windows 7.  For instance, it's compatibility mode is more than just XP.  It's compatibility mode has EVERY Windows OS from 95 to Vista on it.  That is a major step forward.  It shows that any item you install that's for your Windows computer will work for Windows 7.

Another interesting thing is that when you open an application, the window is connected to an icon.  You can then hover over said icon and it'll bring up tiny screens of the windows you have open.  After that, you can just find it and click on it.  You really don't have to go through a lot of trouble of organizing it.

Now, there's still a lot I need to explore with Windows 7.  So bear with me, okay?

I'll continue updating on what I find.

In the meantime, I've got more stuff to install.

See ya later! :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, me, my dad and my computer whiz uncle have been messing around with a few things and we have found something rather important.

As it turns out, Windows 7 does not support a WEP wireless connection directly.  It can still do it under WEP, but only if you put it under an 802.1x connection.  This would require you to reconfigure your router from scratch and reconfigure any other computers and so that they can connect as well.

So, those of you looking to upgrade, make sure the router will be compatible.  Reconfigure it if you must.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
Sounds good! Most people say that Windows 7 is way better than Windows Vista (well, that's not that hard). I have a question:

Would you recommend to update the operating system to Windows 7? I've used Windows XP for years now and I still love it: It's fast, it's easy, it doesn't take too much disc space (like Vista Ultimate with 17GB, I screamed "WTF?!" when I saw ist), all my favorite programs work, the style does not take too much virtual memory (Win98-Style), and... yeah, it seems to be perfect!! But maybe... it's too old? Maybe new programs won't work anymore with Windows XP?

Or should I create 2 Partitions, one with Windows XP and one with Windows 7, if I decide to buy it? But maybe it's not necessary, because I'm still happy with Windows XP? What do you think?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Waluigifan,Oct 27 2009 on  09:40 AM
Sounds good! Most people say that Windows 7 is way better than Windows Vista (well, that's not that hard). I have a question:

Would you recommend to update the operating system to Windows 7? I've used Windows XP for years now and I still love it: It's fast, it's easy, it doesn't take too much disc space (like Vista Ultimate with 17GB, I screamed "WTF?!" when I saw ist), all my favorite programs work, the style does not take too much virtual memory (Win98-Style), and... yeah, it seems to be perfect!! But maybe... it's too old? Maybe new programs won't work anymore with Windows XP?

Or should I create 2 Partitions, one with Windows XP and one with Windows 7, if I decide to buy it? But maybe it's not necessary, because I'm still happy with Windows XP? What do you think?
Well, through my experience so far, it has come to my understanding that there's a lot more to consider if you plan to make the jump from XP to 7, much like I did.

The first thing to consider is whether or not your computer is compatible with Windows 7.  Despite the fact that my computer is 5 years old and started with XP SP2, it can still run Windows 7 quite well.

One key thing to know is that you need at least 1 GB of RAM for the 32-bit and 2 GB of RAM for the 64-bit.  However, despite this, it is a good recommendation to have at least 4 GB to ensure all the other things in your computer run smoothly if you plan to go 64-bit.

Another key thing is that this will be far more than an upgrade for you, this will be starting over completely.  Simply speaking, you will have to do a reformat.  Basically, you will want to make sure you have the latest driver updates for all your programs and make sure they will be compatible with Windows 7 by checking out the info on-line and mainly looking for the "Certified for Windows 7" logo.  This is a huge deal as if you don't do it, you may find yourself without certain programs working and may not understand why.

Another thing to consider is if your computer will be able to actually hold Windows 7.  It is more than just the space you need to run it to take into consideration for those going from XP.  The fact is, when you reformat with Windows 7, a good number of your programs may be saved under a folder called "Windows.old".  You'll have to reinstall the programs inside and get rid of all of the copies that are in Windows.old.  You basically have to consider how much space you are taking up now and be ready with more than double of that.

The last and final thing you must understand is what version of Windows 7 you want to use.  For those going from XP, the high recommendation from me and everyone else who reviews Windows 7 out there, is Windows 7 Pro.  The main reason for this is that it comes with Windows XP Mode, which allows you to run XP applications when you use it.  It is a huge deal and you really don't want to find yourself stuck without it.  I've been able to run most things that I had in Windows XP with this thing running.  I highly recommend this version to anyone out there that is going from Windows XP and wants to make the jump.

The main reason to avoid Windows 7 Ultimate is because the price boost on the extras just don't justify the purchase.  You end up paying an extra $100 than you would with Pro for extra security for your data and having a huge language choice to choose from.  Both of these can be done for free quite easily and are not worth the extra $100.

So seriously, if you want to do this, go with the Pro, but there's a lot you need to consider before you make the purchase.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
The first thing to consider is whether or not your computer is compatible with Windows 7. Despite the fact that my computer is 5 years old and started with XP SP2, it can still run Windows 7 quite well.

One key thing to know is that you need at least 1 GB of RAM for the 32-bit and 2 GB of RAM for the 64-bit. However, despite this, it is a good recommendation to have at least 4 GB to ensure all the other things in your computer run smoothly if you plan to go 64-bit.
I have a two years old notebook with 1,61GHZ and 2GB RAM... and 4GB is recommended? :(  Then I'll get problems because of programs which use a lot of virtual memory (Adobe Premiere Pro, Magix Music/Video Maker, Video conversion programs, DVD-Authoring, etc...)... I hope the 32bit version works.

Another key thing is that this will be far more than an upgrade for you, this will be starting over completely. Simply speaking, you will have to do a reformat.
Hahaha, that's not a problem for me, I formatted my notebook over 10 times in the past 2 years... every time, when I get problems with space, virtual memory, viruses, or just Windows itself, I format my hard disc completely ( I delete the complete partition (RAW-format) and then I format it one more time with the NTFS data system, and then I install Windows in the partition).

asically, you will want to make sure you have the latest driver updates for all your programs and make sure they will be compatible with Windows 7 by checking out the info on-line and mainly looking for the "Certified for Windows 7" logo. This is a huge deal as if you don't do it, you may find yourself without certain programs working and may not understand why.

That could be a big problem. 2 days ago I formatted my notebook completely and at that time I wanted to install the 64-bit-version of Windows XP Professional, because I thought that that version is better than the 32-bit one. But there were NO driver programs for my HP Pavillion dv6000 Notebook on the HP site... and when I tried to start the driver installation programs for the 32-bit version, there appeared an error message because they didn't know which operating system I use. :crazy
So I had to format my notebook again. And I don't think that HP will upload drivers for a 2 years old notebook for Windows 7...

Ah, okay. There are too much problems with it: the drivers, the performance of my notebook... everything. So I won't update the operating system to Windows 7 and still using the good old Windows XP! xD

Thank you very very very very much for the answer, it helped A LOT!
 :lol:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Simple.  Unless you've got at least 2gb of ram (3gb recommended if it's not DDR2), don't put on Windows 7 or Vista.  ALL versions of BOTH Vista and 7 have the "compatibility" mode that will allow you to run programs in a mock mode for Windows XP, 2000, 98/ME, NT, and Windows Server 2003:

Unless you've got some super old program from like 1992 (like Wolfenstein 3D or something), you won't have any problems with Vista or 7.  I was actually able to make Wolfenstein 3D work in XP SP3, but I can't make it work in Vista or 7 for the life of me. :p

If you've got a Pentium 4 processor, it can handle Vista or 7, but I wouldn't recommend it.  There are a few exceptions however.  I have this awesome Micron computer with a 3.2ghz P4 HT processor and 8gb of DDR2 memory.  That thing could handle Vista or 7 easily.  But generally, unless you've got an AMD Athlon64 processor or better, I wouldn't recommend Vista or 7.  With Intel, have at least an Pentium Dual-Core.  

Also be aware that some specialized hardware might not work with Vista or 7.  I had this one sound card made by Turtle Beach, and they went out of business right before Vista came out.  The thing would NOT work with Vista even though it was only 2 years old!  

If you want to upgrade your OS to Vista or 7, do NOT use the upgrade option.  It's only a bit more work to do a complete format and it's well worth it.  If you haven't backed up your programs and they'll be lost if you format, tough.  That'll teach ya to back up your install EXE's.  I don't even own a program I don't have backups to.  If it's important enough to install and keep, then it's important enough to back up the install EXE to an external hard drive.

Drivers will be an issue after putting on Vista or 7.  Just pray to God there'll be a driver for your network controller so you can connect to the net and get drivers after install.  If there's not, you'll have to install a wireless USB adapter.  Getting drivers can range from easy to extremely difficult.  Normally if your computer's just an OEM such as Dell, Gateway, HP or other brand, it's easy as pie.  Just do Windows updates and most of 'em install automatically.  If you've got a custom build then you'll need a program like Driver Genius unless you want to spend forever looking up individual drivers for your components.

But there were NO driver programs for my HP Pavillion dv6000 Notebook on the HP site

Whoa man.  If you've got a dv6000, get rid of it immediately.  They have a known issue which causes the motherboard to fry.  The replacement period is way up by now.  Sell the sucker on Craigslist or something, 'cuz it's no use to you dead.  Even if you had the motherboard replaced, it's gonna happen again 'cuz they used faulty motherboards to replace 'em!

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
ALL versions of BOTH Vista and 7 have the "compatibility" mode
Well, on Vista, it never worked. :o

But generally, unless you've got an AMD Athlon64 processor or better, I wouldn't recommend Vista or 7. With Intel, have at least an Pentium Dual-Core.
Ah sorry, I don't know much about hardware. But I have a "AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology".

Whoa man. If you've got a dv6000, get rid of it immediately. They have a known issue which causes the motherboard to fry. The replacement period is way up by now. Sell the sucker on Craigslist or something, 'cuz it's no use to you dead. Even if you had the motherboard replaced, it's gonna happen again 'cuz they used faulty motherboards to replace 'em!

Sorry, I don't agree with you. I'm very satisfied with my laptop and there weren't ANY problems with it :blink: . Ok, one time the motherboard was broken, but the HP service repaired it completely and after a few days I received my repaired notebook and it still works fine. One month ago I downloaded a LARGE amount of data and my notebook had to run 3 weeks (without any restarts!! My notebook was 3 weeks on - believe it or not!!) permanently, and there aren't any problems!
Anyway, I would really like to buy a better notebook, but I have NO money, so I'll have to use my old notebook 2 or 3 years longer.

Thank you very much for the detailed information! I'm not going to upgrade my operating system anymore. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's not that hard to beat Vista's Compatibility Mode.

Here's the one in Windows 7:

Is it just me, or is that EVERY version of Windows out there?  Geez!  They even made sure to get that right. :)

BTW, I was able to make this pic with LBTlover's little Photoshop Lite CS3 program.  As long as you run it under Windows XP in Compatibility Mode, it'll work on Windows 7.

The Compatibility Mode of Windows 7 Pro has saved me so much trouble.  It was really worth the extra cash. :^.^:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If you want to use Photoshop CS3 Lite on Vista/7, you have to run it as an administrator.  Do this by right clicking on the icon and clicking "Run as Administrator".  Of course, Photoshop CS3 Lite lost support months ago.  Didn't I give you a copy of CS4 Lite?  It's much better.  CS3 Lite is sooooooo sloooooooow in comparison and it doesn't handle video editing very well. :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Nov 1 2009 on  07:35 PM
Didn't I give you a copy of CS4 Lite?
No, you did not.  I must admit, the upgrade would be nice. :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It has that many program compatibilities?  back to windows 95? That is quite a few.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I must admit and confess something here.

First off, I have been VERY impressed with Windows 7.  The look and feel is very nice.  The speed is great.  The performance is unbelievable.  The Compatibility Mode is out of this world.  I absolutely LOVE it. :)

I'll be using it for more years to come.

Second, I have been making plans to upgrade my Vista Compaq Laptop to Windows 7.  The big thing is that it has only 2 GB of RAM and CANNOT upgrade any further in that area. (Checked it with Crucial.  Can't go any higher.) So, I may have to use the 32-bit to make it run smoothly.  Other than that, I don't think there will be many problems.

This will at least give me the chance to test two different versions on two different computers.  We'll just see how things go.

Wish me luck! :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck.  

If the compatibility mode goes all the way back to 95, I wonder how well some older games like might and magic 6-8 would work windows 7.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Who honestly needs compatibility back to the Windows 95 days? :rolleyes

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Who honestly needs compatibility back to the Windows 95 days? dino_roll-eyes.gif

I do.  It'd be nice to be able to play Myst again.  Though it worked in 98 too.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
& there are likely some other games that work best under 98 and 95.  I have 2 that play best under 98, but will sorta play under xp, and some others that won't play at all under xp.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Important tip for AVG users!!

I have recently gone to the trouble of reinstalling AVG Free Edition.  Up until now, I was using Avast!  This really wasn't causing any performance issues, but certain things were just plain annoying.  To be honest, I'm glad I switched back to AVG.

Now, I found out something important.  Those of you that have 8.xx or lower, I would highly recommend getting an upgrade if you plan to go to Windows 7.  The main reason is that 8.xx and lower won't work in Windows 7.  The main reason for this is a driver issue.  Heck, it won't even install because of this.

Luckily, AVG is ready and have finished creating AVG 9.0, which IS compatible with Windows 7.  You can download it right now from the following site:

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Fr...cdlPid=11014801

And the installation box just looks so sweet. :)

Trust me, you'll love the upgrade. :^.^:

Well, that's all I wanted to give out.

See ya later! :)