The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Malte's Random LBT fanart

Malte279 · 247 · 38924

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I did another drawing with Photoshop, experimenting with a few more features of the program.
It's titled "Morning Light and Evening Star":

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, Malte, that is very impressive!

Perhaps some of the subtle shading, specifically around the sunrise, should be a bit different than that on the mountains further away from the sun.  Littlefoot seems to be lighter on the side facing away from the sun, too.

Shading and depth perception can be a lot of work and effort, for sure.  These are really the only two places I find this picture could benefit from improvement.  

I love the texturing on the mountains and the grass; great work!
Very pretty artwork and style, Malte!  Very nice. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you for your feedback Tim! this is really helpful :yes
I certainly have to work on the shading. I don't like the way the shading of the foreleg / shoulder turned out either. Maybe I'll make a daylight version of this picture (without morning light or evening star). I suppose that would be a bit easier.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wow! Good job there Malte!
Shadings huh? Well, if you want any help, try and ask Littlefoot. He tought me how to do it in, what was it now? Less than 5 minutes?   :yes
Splendid!
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
It's good Malte. One thing perhaps you could think about though, is Littlefoot's head. I'm not an artist, but the way it's attached to his neck doesn't quite look right. An excellent picture Malte.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
One thing perhaps you could think about though, is Littlefoot's head. I'm not an artist, but the way it's attached to his neck doesn't quite look right
I was trying to decide if Littlefoot looked like he was older or if he was wearing a helmet. :lol

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
This picture is impressive...as I can barely use Photoshop. I will be sure to keep an eye on this thread for future pics.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice drawing.  It looks like you are developing skill too like more then a few here have done.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe I can pinpoint the issue with Littlefoot's head in this picture. I guess the main problem is how the neck seems to be attached more to the back than to the lower part of his head. It was somewhat tricky to draw. Realistically the neck would have to form a kind of s-curve rather than what I came up with in the drawing. Sometimes they simplified the longnecks' neck in the same way in the movies by allowing themselves some liberty on where to attach them to the head. I must admit however, that this applies more to the grownup longnecks than to Littlefoot (in general the necks of the grownups seem to be more to the back than to the bottom of the heads).
A realistic s-curve might have looked rather unwieldy in the picture, but still I guess I should have gone for it seeing that the neck shape I settled for appears rather irritating too.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You do have to allow for some artistic license.  Have you tried looking at some longneck fossil pictures online, not sure if that would help or not.  Though I do think the drawing is well done.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The next drawing is not quite complete as it lacks any background (but I don't know these days when I will find the leisure to create that background). The TV series came up with several scenes which revealed that in spite of everything Ducky doesn't feel a 100% at ease with Chomper (some basic instincts of survival are not abandoned easily :^.^:), a fact which inspired the following picture:

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I see that someone has made use of the shading tools!  :yes
Very nice drawing Malte! Ducky sure looks... unsecure?  :^.^:
Keep it up!

/Lillefot
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good job malte, I had already seen it a bit :) Lovely

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well done drawing and a good scene of the 2 characters.    I think part of the reason for Ducky maybe feeling a bit uneasy around Chomper is at times he looks at her sometimes when he tells the others he's hungry.   Maybe meant to be a bit of comedy with the comedy coming from her reaction.  Icwise it may come from that she was present when he hatched and he may have, at least, partially imprinted on her since I think she was the first one, or one of the first ones that he saw when he hatched so a part of him looks to her when he's hungry.  Though his imprinting on Littlefoot may be stronger then his with Ducky since he saw Littlefoot longer and he did take care of Chomper at first, though he didn't like the food that Littlefoot tried to get him to eat.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ugh!  I'm behind! :P:

Anyways, great work you've been doing with Photoshop.  I can understand Ducky's uneasiness.  As good of a friend as Chomper is, he's STILL a Sharptooth.

However, I must say that Ducky's face doesn't look right.  I just can't figure out what's off though. -_-

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you for your helpful comments :yes
I'm kind of mad at myself today for rather than continue the work on my university essay I just started to finish one drawing I had begun a while ago and I just couldn't stop before it was done, by which time most of the day was gone :bang
Well, I guess I needed the respite and I hope that the end justify the time that were required for the means:

I have grown kind of fond of the idea of Cera being mocked by the others about having just one horn (of course only after a particularly extreme bit of boasting about being a THREEhorn) :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey, good job malte. I like the idea, haha. I like the background too! And you did a very good job with the shading. I really like it :^.^: !

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Looks good Malte!

You've really got an adept hand for photoshop ;) The fact that they're your own creations also makes it that much more impressive!

Well done my friend! ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice picture and coloring.  I also like the various expressions on the character's faces.  The break you took to do this picture may well let you do a better essay since everyone needs to take a break now and then, though most do not believe they need any breaks.