The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Thoughts on Dink, the Little Dinosaur

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Feb 2 2010 on  05:06 PM
I personally think that a lot of what happened in the comparisons between this and the series is just a coincidence.
Then it's got to be QUITE the coincidence.  Seriously, a LBT nut like me can spot the many references that just make it seem more and more possible that Dink, TLD inspired the sequels and TV Series of LBT.

There's just WAY too much here.

I didn't like the characters as much...especially Scat. His voice was irritating and although "Scat" is short for "Scardy Cat"...seriously, most of us might know what "scat" is.

Yes, but back when this show aired it was a VERY appropriate word to use for a name.  The meaning you are talking about didn't come forth for at least several more years after this show aired.  Also, since the show went dead and off the air before the new meaning appeared, there was no reason to change the name.

However, if this show was on TV today, there's NO WAY the censors would allow it.

I'm gonna need to find a place to see more episodes to see a lot of the guest characters. I see a lot that I might be interested...and then possibly lose interest in.

Right now, YouTube is the ONLY place you can watch this. (And not even half of the episodes are there.) You could try finding them on Rapidshare, but they have a limit of 2 GB downloading total for Free Users and you'll use that up pretty fast with each one being about 93 MB. (I had to change my IP Address just to continue downloading after 24 episodes.  This thing has 42 Episodes to collect.) However, I'm coming up with a little something for the fans.  If you'll wait on that, it'll be THE best shot EVER!

Trust me fans, you'll love me for it! :D

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I have a bad memory of Dink also, but it's not the show's fault. When I was younger, my parents bought the show because they saw how interested I was in Land Before Time (which means there must be ways to get the show legally, since we rented it from a movie store). I liked it, but during one episode, my dad asked my brother and I whether we liked LBT or Dink better. The family sans myself decided they like Dink better. I never said anything about this, but from then on the show left a bad taste in my mouth. Ironic, since I doubt my family even remembers this show's existence :)

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
You could try finding them on Rapidshare, but they have a limit of 2 GB downloading total for Free Users and you'll use that up pretty fast with each one being about 93 MB.
Yeah, Rapidshare is a pain (it's the worst upload service, SendSpace is way better!), but I've got all episodes and I like this show. :D It's really funny, and there are some similarities between this show and LBT. For instance, in one episode lost Shyler one of his teeth, and Chomper from the LBT series lost one of his teeth in one episode, too.

And I don't think that it's too childish... maybe because English isn't my mother tongue and I have to concentrate of what they are saying in the episodes to understand the plot.

Anyway, my favorite characters are Shyla and Scat, they are cute and funny. ^^

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I didn't like the characters as much...especially Scat. His voice was irritating and although "Scat" is short for "Scardy Cat"...seriously, most of us might know what "scat" is.
I admit I had to look it up. I only ever knew Scat as a rude (but there are ruder) way to tell someone to go away or else as a synonym to scurrying (which given Scat's nature might be the reference).
There are other examples for names that may sound odd given meanings that were attached to words presumably after they were used for names. For example people named Richard are often abbreviated to "Dick" (though I really have no idea how on earth that would be the result when you abbreviate Richard). There is a reference to this for example in Shakespeare's play "Richard III" so the use of the name must be quite old and the other meaning of the name is likely to be newer (though I don't have any sources being not that much into this kind of name research :p).

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ I think Ptyra was referring to the fact that "scat" is also used as a term for animal droppings.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Aye, that's the meaning of the word I had to look up though.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
It was just my two cents :lol

I've been thinking about it a bit more, and I think when it comes to the "baby" of the group, I think I like Shyler a bit better than Spike...since he can at least TALK. And I had several "Awwww D: !" moments with him.

Other than that, I think I like the Gang of LBT better than of Dink. I had a major "WTF!?!?" when the adults got all "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!" when the Beast came along. Krusty even said "He's never hurt anyone", but they still went "RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAARRR!" I know people do that some times, but I think their reaction was a bit over the top DX .

And Krusty crawled out of his shell. That's probably what annoyed me the most. And in the same episode, when the kids were tossing the fruit around that Scat had managed to get. Yeah it's from Tyranno's territory, but he got there and back safely. Why play "Keep Away"?

I did like Flapper's lisp though. I'd like to see someone make him say a tongue twister.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm not into any LBT vs. Dink better or worse debate.
I've been thinking about it a bit more, and I think when it comes to the "baby" of the group, I think I like Shyler a bit better than Spike...since he can at least TALK. And I had several "Awwww D: !" moments with him.
The two are not very similar, but I do like Shyler. I must admit I was surprised when Shyler was addressed as "he" though as until he was called this I had thought him to be a girl.
Other than that, I think I like the Gang of LBT better than of Dink. I had a major "WTF!?!?" when the adults got all "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!" when the Beast came along. Krusty even said "He's never hurt anyone", but they still went "RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAARRR!"
I thought that one to be quite similar to LBT 11.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 4 2010 on  04:56 PM
Other than that, I think I like the Gang of LBT better than of Dink. I had a major "WTF!?!?" when the adults got all "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!" when the Beast came along. Krusty even said "He's never hurt anyone", but they still went "RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAARRR!"
I thought that one to be quite similar to LBT 11.
I actually thought it was closer to 6, personally, with Beast being a bit like Doc.
Lol, that episode (in my opinion) is like a mix between Phantom of the Opera (deformed faced mystery guy), Beauty and the Beast (to some extent.) and LBT.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 4 2010 on  04:56 PM
I'm not into any LBT vs. Dink better or worse debate.
The two are not very similar, but I do like Shyler. I must admit I was surprised when Shyler was addressed as "he" though as until he was called this I had thought him to be a girl.
Same here.  I was quite surprised to find that Shyler was male.  However, that gender specification did make the episode, "Shyler's Friend" rather enjoyable.  It was great seeing him trying to impress that girl. (Also, that look on his face whenever he looked at her just screamed "love".  I just can't resist something like that. :D)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, I have now officially seen EVERY episode of Dink, the Little Dinosaur that ever aired.  What's my final verdict?  In the end, it was a good show.  In fact, I feel that it could have gone another season.  It was definitely good enough.

I'm just trying to figure out what it was that made this go off the air so soon.  There's several factors here that I'm probably overlooking.  It might have to do with the time slot.  Something that aired on other channels.  Maybe the kind of shows that were coming on at the time.  I really don't know here.

However, I think a key thing in it all is the lack of new episodes.  I did point out that there were only 42 episodes.  Here's the "but", though.  Each episode is just over 10 minutes long.  Some did reach close to the 11 minute mark, but even then, it was obvious they were just trying to wrap everything up.  This was forcing them to put 2 episodes into each time slot.  They only ended up doing 26 episodes for the first season, resulting in massive amounts of reruns.

Then there were only 16 episodes for the second season.  This resulted in even more reruns and this caused a massive problem.  Reruns are only a good idea if not used that much.  The lack of new episodes and the inability to make them longer seems to be a big cause in the show's downfall.  Both factors can render the thought that the creator's aren't being creative.  That they aren't putting much thought into them.  This can make you lose your audience in the end.

In the end though, Dink, the Little Dinosaur did have the potential to go another season.  The creators did one key thing that all of the grand shows of the 90's did back then.  They took risks.

I'm talking fatal injuries, having evil villains that don't need to be evil to be scary but are anyways, suspense to the maximum amount for the plot and, the one thing I feel that has been cheapened the most with kid's shows of today, bringing the love factor to the max.

That's another thing I miss with today's shows.  The shows back then used the love factor to the max that was allowed with kid's shows back then. (Basically, there being a complete confession of love and a highly possible kissing scene.) They showed that love was a normal and beautiful thing to experience in life.  Some did joke with it, but there was no doubt of how far they went with it all back then.

Today, love is cheapened to the point where it just doesn't exist in kid's shows.  That the thought that you really, really like someone is presented and not that you LOVE them.  Any chance of two characters being in love is only a fantasy and only happens in the world of fanfiction.

They don't cheapen it with Dink, the Little Dinosaur.  I've already pointed out the episode where Shyler is in love and he tries to impress the girl with an earlier post.  Then there's the joke where Dink's nose gets hurt and Amber says, "Aw!  Do you want me to kiss it better?" And he practically shouts "NO!".  Old love that never died. (Crusty and Buttercup, anyone?) There being the concept of boyfriend and girlfriend.  Also, they even used the term "mate" in one episode.

To be honest, I've never seen a kid's show use that term.  Dink, the Little Dinosaur could very well be the only one that does.  Even if it's just for one episode, it's there.

Also, in the final episode, they used an actual kiss on the cheek.  I'm talking full on lips touching the cheek with that old familiar sound of a kiss happening.  I miss hearing that.  I really do. :)

Anyways, the fact that they were willing to take risks shows that it had real potential.  It could have gone further if the creators were willing.

To be honest, I'm rather satisfied with where the show ended.  Sure I'm sad that it ended as soon as it did, but it goes to show that this was a good show.  It's a lost gem that was never given a real chance.

That just saddens me in the end.  It really does. -_-