The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Power over fanfiction

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well the situation is that he asked me if I could use his character in the story, and I said I would. I didn't ask him if I could use him in the first place, and had I did I would have been more obliged to his wishes. However, because he asked me to use his character and I said I would, the poll still does coincide with the situation I guess.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
This once again casts a different light on the matter.
If it wasn't by the autor's but by the character's creator's request that the said character is included in the story it would be a lot harder for the character creator of the character to make a case for the own influence on the story as it wasn't on the story author's initiative that the character came into the story in the first place.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 My opinion is that the author is the one having the power of the story because the story comes from the author, but I think that suggestions are always welcome even though some will not make it into the final edit, but that doesn't mean they were not considered.
 While using a character that belongs to someone else, the author and the character's owner must be a bit of careful, because even if the added character can add more depth to the story, the author must realize that the character's owner does have plans for the character, so the author cannot just kill it or maim the character without the owner's consent. This can make thing complicated perhaps, but if there is an angreement, then things should not turn difficult and it could just add more fun.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Bit of a no-brainer, this question, I thought. As much as readers and fans will moan about "I would have done it this way" or "I didn't like this part", well you as an author have absolute power and dominance over what you write and therefore all actions and consequences (be they positive or negative) lie with you and only you. I've had a wealth of readers contact me about "you should include this in your story". As much as I appreciate the input, I might consider essences of what is suggested but the readers don't know how you have planned your story and their suggestions might not fit what you have in store. Readers of your fanfic will always voice their opinion (that's what you put your fanfic up for display for in the first place) but you as the creator have the power to say what happens. What you can't control is how the populace will respond but hopefully, if you've done it right, they'll come flock to you requesting more ;)

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I think there are cases like the one of the creator of The Simpsons is forbidden to read fanfics, to avoid problems of fans yelling "he used my idea".
 Be it true or not, what  Ithink is true is that at the end it is the author the one who has the last word in the story.