The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Problem with Firefox

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Of lately something seems to be wrong with Firefox on my end. For some reason it keeps freezing without following a particular sheme (sometimes sooner sometimes after I have been online for a while already). It seems to be triggered by clicking a link, to open some new page or window, but it is not some particular link but just any link might cause it. Now the worst part of it is that it won't just make Firefox freeze but cause the entire computer to crash. You cannot open any programs, you cannot close the Firefox pages (or any other programs) and even ctrl+alt+delete will not work for anything anymore.

I am wondering if this is a known issue and if any other firefox users here are having the same trouble. I am using Internet Explorer to post this and so far it really seems to be a firefox only issue.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Run an anti-virus scan to see if you've picked up something. Or try surfing the web with a different browser like IE or Chrome and see if the same problems come up. That could tell you if it's a problem with the computer or with Firefox.

http://www.consumingexperience.com/2007/08...uter-fixed.html This appears to be a fix for your problem, but you should probably get a second opinion (like LBTlover) before downloading it. I only found it via Google.

Duckyfan

• Chomper
    • View Profile
i'm not sure  :huh:, one thing i can say is that i dont think it is firefox i think it is your whole computer because (i'm not a computer expert but this is what i think) i think firefox would just freeze and you would be able to access other things, maybe you have a virus, do you use anti virus software? if you dont you should download AVG but get the free edition and scan your computer just make sure you download it from their website, you should also download Malwarebytes Anti malware

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I never had firefox freezing like that (unless I'm doing too many things and my CPU is being used for 100%, but even then it doesn't freeze easily).

Perhaps that link from LB&T would work, but that is meant for firefox 2.0 and I assume you have 3.5 or 3.6 by now.

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I have a feeling it's that svchost.exe thing having a 100% CPU usage... it practically freezes everything until it dies down on its own. Of course, I might be wrong, but this happens to me sometimes after I log in to Windows, or after enabling/disabling a connection.

Try opening the Task Manager (with the "processes" tab opened) and Firefox side-by-side and see if you could find out what's causing it to freeze. Usually it's the svchost.exe, but it could also be something else.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
EDIT:
Well, I suppose we should start with the obvious first.  Try reinstalling FF.  If you already have and it didn't work, read on.

if ctrl+alt+delete won't do anything, there's definitely a problem and it's not with FireFox.  It might be that FF is the only app you're running that takes up enough memory to give you these errors.  If you leave FF running for a while, it can eat hundreds of megabytes of ram.  My FF is using 250mb right now and it's only been open for a few days.  I'd recommend downloading memtest.  

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

If that turns up fine, run heavyload.  It stresses things such as your CPU as well as memory.  I just trust memtest more, so I'd use that first.  Here's heavyload:

http://3d2f.com/programs/46-436-heavyload-download.shtml

If your computer doesn't crash or freeze while running these programs (I'd run them for at least 2 hours apiece), then you might want to look for malware.  I have an extensive malware removal tutorial here on GOF.  Here it is:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...?showtopic=7495

If this process is too advanced for you, then download the free version of MalwareBytes.  It's not as good as manually removing malware yourself, but it will work.  Hope all this info helps.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Thanks you everyone for your help :)
The good news is, I was wrong, it can't be Firefox. The bad news is WTF is it? :confused
The computer froze on other occasions now when no browser was active and when no internet connection was established (e.g. while the virus scan and the defrag were running).
The computer also freezes frequently while I start it.
Being the total clueless fool in technical computer matters that I am I don't really know what the Heavyload program is telling me.
The free memory line always seems to be near 100% while the CPU seems to be between 40% and 60% most of the time with occasional jabs beyond the 80% (no clue what might cause these). This is while several Firefox windows are up.
I also ran CCleaner to get rid of whatever useless stuff there was on my harddrive (but I don't think that is the problem as the computer has run just fine with much less free space than it has right now).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The computer froze on other occasions now when no browser was active and when no internet connection was established (e.g. while the virus scan and the defrag were running).
The computer also freezes frequently while I start it.
Judging from this, I'd say either the computer is just old and that might be a factor, or it's infected with some pretty nasty malware. My suggestion would be to try to boot the computer into safe mode and run a scan then. I'd recommend downloading a couple manual scanners before doing so. I'd go with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (make sure they were updated with the latest definitions). While I'm not sure how well it'd work, Spybot may also be helpful. These programs will not interfere with your antivirus.

The reason I am suggesting using multiple scanners rather than just one is that using more than one scanner (an antivirus plus some antispyware/antimalware type programs) increases the chances of malware being caught, and these chances are further increased if you are able to scan in safe mode. I'd recommend scanning one at a time though, starting with the antivirus and going onto the other programs. Even if you don't find anything, I'd still recommend scanning at least once with all the scanners.

But if this doesn't work, the only other thing I can suggest, as a last resort, is to reformat.

The free memory line always seems to be near 100% while the CPU seems to be between 40% and 60% most of the time with occasional jabs beyond the 80% (no clue what might cause these). This is while several Firefox windows are up.

I'm not sure what "free memory line" is, but I do know that the more CPU being taken up, the slower the PC will run. If this is happening while there are many Firefox windows open, then I would assume it's Firefox causing the issue here and that closing down Firefox would eliminate the problem. If this problem seems alleviated after you close down Firefox, I would recommend not having so many Firefox windows open. Too many windows open can cause slowdowns (influenced by how much RAM there is and how many processing cores I believe). For instance, a computer with 2 processing cores and 3 GB of RAM would be able to handle having more applications and windows open than a computer with just 1 processing core and 512 MB of RAM.

I would take a look at Task Manager if I were you, to see what program(s) are taking up so much CPU (System Idle Process doesn't count; this is supposed to have high CPU usage). While I'm not sure it'll solve exactly what's wrong with the computer, knowing what programs are taking up so much CPU could be useful, I believe.

Duckyfan

• Chomper
    • View Profile
when you said your computer froze while scanning for viruses, that happened to me a few times its just because that is a big process it is running

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
when you said your computer froze while scanning for viruses, that happened to me a few times its just because that is a big process it is running

Okay, just let me say this.  A computer should NEVER freeze.  If it does, there's something wrong with it.  Now an application crash or two once a month isn't a big deal, but if the thing is freezing more often than that, there's a serious problem that needs to be attended to.

Being the total clueless fool in technical computer matters that I am I don't really know what the Heavyload program is telling me.

Well, what it was telling you wasn't really important.  We were just seeing if it would cause the computer to freeze or not.  Did you run memtest?  The results are pretty simple to understand; almost as simple as "there's a problem" and "there's not a problem."  

Now this is very important.  When the computer freezes and even ctrl + alt + del won't work, can you still move the mouse around?  If so, then the only hardware problem it could be would be the hard drive.  If you can move the mouse around, I'd recommend trying a format.  If the thing is freezing even during malware scans, it's likely a problem with the OS itself and not a result of malware.  Now if the mouse does freeze....we've got a serious hardware issue here.  Could be the processor or perhaps a certain peripheral.  It could even be the PSU or motherboard.  I'm hoping the mouse doesn't freeze.  That would really suck. :(

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Duckyfan,Apr 8 2010 on  10:27 AM
Actually, that's not entirely accurate. When you have a large enough RAM (preferably 2GB), doing a virus scan won't affect the computer much, and you'd still be able to do other work. The only reason why it 'freezes' on your end is probably because you don't have enough RAM. Keep in mind that there are other things that eat up RAM, and not just running programs or virus scans. When your computer runs out of RAM, it'll attempt to use your hard disk as additional RAM. And since hard disks perform slower than RAM does, the CPU would get TWICE the amount of workload, overall slowing down the system.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^^Even a system with 256mb (1/4gb) of ram running XP can handle scanning for viruses without freezing.  Your system should never freeze like that.  A small program crash/freeze is okay a few times a month, but NEVER a full system freeze like Malte is describing.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've had worse. I've had a system that had only around 90 MB RAM. I did try scanning with something but it froze (this was years ago) but I think either it was a bad program (could've been) or the computer was just so slow and so infected that it could not handle the scans.