The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

News on LBT 12!

Threehorn · 347 · 33225

Dogstar

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Well i just read that this wouldn’t be out till 2007, they said in the article announcing the tv series which is also supposed to debut that year  :wow  :birthday

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
You probably already know this but still... As I was googling for something about the LBT tv series I found this website: http://icv2.com/articles/home/7361.html
They give a subtitle to lbt 12:
A new feature, Land Before Time:  Day of the Flyers, will also be released on DVD in 2007.

A return of Pterano maybe? I'm not really "into" that idea, oh well... Just letting you know =p
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Sadly Pterano will not be in LBT 12. I asked Aria upon hearing about the title and she told me that he won't be there.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Sadly? Sadly?! Good riddance! We don't need that melodramatic twit ruining another LBT film! Normally, Michael York (the voice of Pterano) has a nice, smarmy charm about him, but as Pterano, he was just annoying. An interesting character, but horribly delivered. If they bring him back, I hope they take a less melodramatic approach with him.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Horibly delivered , or in my mind bot very interesting... Like You said he was annoying....
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Pterano's not that bad. OK so he was a bit deciteful but you gotta admire him for his character. Michael York does an excellent job of portraying him. I suppose we were expecting Pterano to make a reappearance with such a laid out title as "Day of the Flyers" (or maybe I speak for myself here). Who knows...he might make a cameo appearance like Mo in LBT 10. He doesnt say anything but you can't deny it's great to see characters crop up even if it's for less than a scene

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, he was that bad, in my opinion, anyhow.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I Agtree with WR on that one...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Personally I consider Pterano one of the points in favor of LBT 7. He is not a kind of standard character and it is never really certain whether the Dr. Jekyll or the Mr. Hyde side of him will gain the upper hand after all. He is vain and almost seems in love with himself to a degree we haven't seen even by the proud threehorns. The story of his leading a group of leafeaters into their doom (unintentionally) adds a gloomy aspect which is relatively rare in LBT, but not unwelcome as far as I am concerned. His complicate relationship with Petrie is also a very interesting element. I do think Pterano could well return in a story.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good points there Malte... I Think Pterano could reten eventually...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I never said he didn't bring anything interesting to the table, yes, the some things were a plus surrounding the character, but not the character, himself. He brought nothing we couldn't have done without. Give me the budget to remake #8, and I'll show you how Pterano should have been done!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I cannot give you the budget to remake LBT 7, but please tell us in which way Pterano would have been different if it had been up to you to deceide about him. Most of the things I named are characteristics of Pterano himself, so if you speak of things surrounding the character, do you mean the incidence when he lead the others into the ambush?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, for one thing, it'd have made sense forPetire and his siblings to be fascinated with him under my control. Pterano is supposed to be highly charismatic, but all he did was creep me out and it didn't make any sense whatsoever for him to win anyone over. Heck, my cousins (which were 5-8 when they first saw it) weren't fooled by him. Plus, he'd have not obviously been the villain of the film right away under my care. I'd have set up another character who could possibly be the villain as well, and would have made that character the more obvious choice for a villain and not Pterano. Yes, Pterano was the villain for most of the film, but he changes, I do realize that. I can put up with the LBT film sbeing melodramatic, but for me: Pterano pushed the envelope.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I suppose this would have made the matter more interesting and I agree (despite of my general approval of Pterano as a character for the story) that they would have fared better if they had kept up the disguise a bit longer. Perhaps it would have been interesting not to make him the distinct leader of Rinkus and Sierra and make one (or both of them) come across as the villains to be. In that case Pterano (keeping up his friendship with them) would have really played the Dr. Jekyll part for two Mr. Hydes until revealing some kind of deeper involvement into whatever misdeeds Rinkus and Sierra were up to.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
That, I would dig, actually. Although that would involve doing what they needed to be doing from film #1: Making the films longer.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would certainly not object longer LBT movies so long the content is good. Don Bluth meant the original movie to be a good deal longer than it ultimately became. I wonder what it would be like had Don Bluth would have been allowed to get through his plans.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
whether the the extra time would have improved the quality of the first film is(of course) debatable, but I think that lengthing the sequels would imo not add much as far as quality.. I think many of us can agree that the first 3  sequels are probably the best collectively, while there have been some good sequels since (5 and 10 come to mind) overall I would say that the quality has fluctauartted over the course of the series...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quality of the movies is of more debatable than the matter of time. I think most will agree that at least in most cases the time given was enough to tell the story of a given LBT movie. In one case (just my opinion) the time may have even been sort of stretched out. As for the quality of the movies I consider accordance with the original movie and the first sequels a very important criterea. The first time I considered that accordance violated was in LBT 7 the worst of these violations I think was LBT 10.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, Nick, but if you think about: the plots for the sequels aren't really fit for the 1 hour and a half minute story format. Most of the sequels would have been infinitely better if the filmmakers had taken more time to tell story by not insisting on having one LBT film per year and if they added more to the running time.

If I were in charge of the LBT series: They'd come out every two years, have bigger budgets, have longer running times, and have the new character more fleshed out (and the guest who can reappear reasonably easy like Hyp and his bunch would).

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
News is here! from Aria! I have word about the eps on Land Before Time!.

Here is the email I got from Aria!

There are 26 "for sure" episodes in the works but the production team and cast is not firmly set by any means! All I know is that Universal will produce it (a little more of a chance the original cast will do it minus Littlefoot probably, whose voice keeps changing thus the need to keep recasting) and Cartoon Network is airing it. 2007.  Malte asked for an address to write and express views on the cast and I am working on that!  I do know it should be sent to development and also marketing at Universal Cartoons, (or animation) which is I believe 100 Universal City Plaza in Universal City, Ca.

As usual they are crying about low budget constraints (that never changes, they  want to pay the actors as little as possible) so we will all wait and see. Hope they keep all of the cast though!

Melody. ( for Aria!!)

-Threehorn