The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Thoughts on Pokemon: Best Wishes

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I was able to find a site called Anime44.  It's a site where you can watch MANY of today's, and past's anime. (Not all, but quite a good amount, I must admit.) There's a lot there and it's just a great place for Anime fans to check out. (Though be warned, you'll most likely run into dub or bad quality fansub.)

Anyways, among the list, I noted the latest season of Pokemon, Best Wishes, was being streamed there, so I decided to check it out.  After seeing the first episode, I've decided to give my first impressions, without spoiling too much.

Art Style: As I have noticed, the anime has a different art style than that of the games.  Some of the episodes really do the pokemon justice, sometimes making them impressive enough to gang such an ENORMOUS fanbase that they could've only dreamed of getting without it.  As for this season?  Well, I must admit that they definitely look more impressive than that of the games, but not by much, sadly.  I've noticed that it is a new team with an almost similar art style than last season's.  The storm cloud made by the new region's ultimate pokemon was rather impressive and they did a great job of trying to hide the pokemon.  Not to mention they make some of the pokemon whom we considered "bad" in terms of looks actually look better than that of the games.  Again, the anime shows that they can look better than that of the games.  I can only begin to imagine the fanbase some of these new pokemon will gang thanks to this.  However, the art style shows it's true colors when Pikachu has his first battle in the new region.  The non-electric attacks have all changed in terms of art style.  Pure energy is shown when Pikachu uses Quick Attack and his tail becomes solid steel when he uses Iron Tail now.  However, the biggest impression comes when the new region's grass-type starter uses a brand new move that I've never seen before.  They actually made a tornado of leaves look intimidating.  That takes some real talent to pull off.  From just the first episode, I can tell that the new art team is definitely a step up in terms of impressing new and old fans alike.

The Bad Guys: Team Rocket, you have been a disappointment last season and now you show a new level of seriousness?  You'd best show how evil you really are or I have NO hope of calling you REAL villains ever, period.  However, on a plus side, Giovanni does make an appearance and mentions that there's secret organizations in the new region. (If you're wondering how he knows if it's a secret, remember that crime organizations have certain ways of finding out information.) I'll have to see the new organizations for myself before I can make a judgment on them.

The Rival: What is this guy's problem?  He doesn't take anything serious and just has a bad attitude toward nearly everything.  The most annoying part is that he takes pictures at nearly any opportunity.  He says that it's to keep a record of his journey, but it just comes off as annoying in the end. (Especially when he takes pictures just before the episode's main battle.  I mean, come on!) Annoying and a bad attitude.  This should be interesting.

The Region's Pokemon Researcher: A female researcher?  Seriously?  Save for Professor Ivy of the Orange League, we've never seen a main female Pokemon Researcher.  So far, she hasn't done much but really shows that she knows her stuff.  Let's hope future episodes treat her well, because she has yet to impress.

The Main Girl: Did nothing but swing on vines.  I'm sure we'll get to know her more next episode, though.

Ash: To get to the new region, Ash had to take a plane.  Wow!  Just shows you how far away it is.  Anyways, the main thing I'll talk about is the new look.  It's a step up, but more of a "meh" improvement.  Sorry Ash, but your new look has yet to impress.

Pikachu: In this episode, he gets struck by lightning from this region's ultimate pokemon.  As such, he ends up spending most of his time getting a check-up from the Main Researcher.  Turns out that he's suffering an overload.  Not as bad as what he got at the start of the Houen Region, (with that one his life was on the line for crying out loud.) but enough to make his electric attacks useless.  So yeah, no Thunderbolt for Pikachu.  It's the ONLY reason he got creamed by the new starter.  What a way to bring him down a notch.

My final thoughts: A good introduction into the new season.  I'm definitely looking forward to more episodes.

I'll give a new post after watching the next episode.  See ya guys later!