The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
More cyberpunk ponies!

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, this isn't a picture, but it is a pretty sad but epic series of stories centered around Trixie.  I read this a couple of nights ago, and now I want her to make a comeback appearance in canon (she works so well in redemption stories or ones with grimdark pasts).  Anyway, here you go:

Out in the Cold

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
My opinion is that to be a complete fan of something, you have to understand its history. How many people here think the characters in Friendship is Magic are original? A lot of the characters from that were either inspired or copied from previous generations. Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP_rIAkb_v8 Can anyone guess which character inspired Rainbow Dash from FiM? Anyone see a couple of “FiM” characters in that? I grew up watching the first generations, and they were very different from what we have now, but if not for them, we wouldn’t have FiM, so I feel a lot of appreciation is due to where various parts of it began. Now then, aside from the inspiration for Rainbow Dash’s personality, did you know she appeared literally in G3? Or that Scootaloo, Sweetie Bell, and more as well did?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo13WMTQJ84 G2 didn’t have anything taken for FiM that I know of, or maybe for a stretch, Mrs. Faust took the lessons learned from it and made the education more literal.  G2 was all about lessons too, and they often ended the episodes with what they learned, though it wasn’t quite as “thrown.” It had things like, “I know now I shouldn’t assume things about my friends,” or, “I know gossiping is always wrong now.” Whereas in FiM, “The lesson I learned today is…” My favorite is G2, because it reflects real life, using only earth ponies thrust in situations humans often were in, like breaking something and having to pay for it and dating. Loving FiM is wonderful, but I wish more people would look to the root, or shall I say, heart of the show. I know I’m just older so had the older generations when I grew up whereas a lot of you didn’t, but still, access to the history of MLP is fairly common to find. I’ve been a MLP fan for many years before FiM came out, and I just wanted to share a little history.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
To Friendly Sharptooth: Actually, the "Tales" series with only Earth ponies is part of Generation 1. Generation 2 never had an animated series, only a video game.

I have mixed feelings towards Tales, because I can see ordinary earth ponies anywhere that has ponies in real life. Unicorns and Pegasi are creatures of classic mythology, a subject I am all tooo fascinated with.
I know FiM took alot from previous generations, but that does not change my mind about it being the best of them all. Previous gens certainly have elements about them that I like, but overall, I find FiM to be the best, by far.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, like people always say every several days, FiM has officially parodied everything.

Looks to be a good episode. Too bad I got work in the morning.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Before we begin, quick little new episode information.

Episode Title: A Friend in Deed
Air Date: February 18, 2012
Summary: Pinkie Pie tries to turn Cranky Doodle Donkey, the only creature to refuse her friendship.

Yep, another Pinkie Pie episode.  Let's see if the crazy party pony can make a new friend. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
SPOILER POST!!

Here we go!  Starting with Applejack training for an upcoming rodeo competition.

And she does it all WITHOUT A HAT!!

Edits from here!

EDIT 1: OMG!!  Derpy talks in this episode!!  Also, she's apparently accident prone.  Don't ask her to help, she'll only ruin everything!

Also, it turns out after Applejack left, she chose to not come back.  WHY!!!??? We must find out!!

EDIT 2: Still don't know why she left, but I'm sure they'll say when the time comes.

Also, one of the best I Love Lucy Parodies EVER!!

EDIT 3: Advice to everyone, NEVER break a Pinkie Promise.  Or Pinkie will hunt you down!

Finally, it was all because she didn't win the prize money and couldn't face Ponyville because she promised to win it.  She worked at a cherry orchard to try to earn money.

Anyways, on to the review.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Holy buckets! Derpy has been referenced, by name, in the show. :blink: :wow :o :!

Apparently she has a line, too, though I didn't get to hear it. The livestream I was watching blipped out on me the instant she appeared onscreen. I think Derpy Hooves may have frozen the Internet. :p

Hear that? It's the MLP fanverse upheaving like the land during the Great Earthshake. :p

EDIT: Aw, dangit, pokeplayer! Ya beat me to sharing the news! :rolleyes:

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
REVIEW POST!!

Okay, must admit, a really good episode.  Not as good as some of the best, but definitely up there.

To be honest, I think there were a number of things put in that the writers had just a lot of fun with.  Derpy's Accident Prone Antics are just the tip of the iceberg of the craziness that ensues in this episode.

I'm sure there will be quite a few videos from this just because of all the writers came up with.  So many scenes just deserve their own separate video on YouTube.

In all, a good episode and well worth watching.  Expect the YouTube link soon. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
EPISODE POST!!

Okay, here it is!  The 480p version of the episode on YouTube!

The Last Roundup

And just in time before I have to get ready for work.  See ya later! :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Before I watch, is Applejack actually important to the episode?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yes she is. She is the main catalyst to the main events of the plot

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
First I read that Congress has indefinitely postponed drafting SOPA, then I watch the new episode and Derpy not only speaks, but is referred to by her name IN THE SHOW AND THAT SHE HAS THAT SCENE ALONG WITH RAINBOW DASH

What a great day!