The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Marzgurl Discusses TLBT Movies

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Mar 18 2011 on  07:46 AM
EDIT: This did give me a good idea, though. Alright, so it's popular for people to gnerally hate on LBT sequels, right? Well, I have a blog. I could write up reviews for the whole series, a lot of which would be very positive.
Sounds like a plan. Like I previously said, I'm doing a youtube review series on the LBT movies, and thinking over what I have planned for each one, most are pretty positive, with only numbers 4, 5, and 6 having serious negative points (4 having underdeveloped characters and plot, 5 having abysmal animation and IMO, Chomper's voice actor was awful, and 6 having Danah and Dinah who do nothing for me, and not quite as exciting as the usual movies)

But don't be totally positive with your reviews. Have at least 1 gripe with each movie.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Personally I think the sixth and seventh movie had worse animation than the fifth movie, but that's just me.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Mar 18 2011 on  07:46 AM
Well, she is doing this for pay, Animeboye.
Distressed Watcher was paid for giving his thoughts on Transformers Revenge of the Fallen. Did you appreciate what he had to say about it?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
While I am not fond of Marzgurl's LBT reviews, I'm not going to get worked up about it. Really, what's the point in complaining about her reviews? Let her do the videos if she wants to. If she really is wasting her time sticking to something she hates, well so what? It doesn't bother me in the least. She's not me. She's not my friend. So why should I care if she wastes time reviewing something she hates?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Heh. I personally was okay with her first review of the first LBT film, it was nice to see that this series was getting a bit of attention, even if it was mostly negative.

I have yet to watch her reviews on the other sequels, which I don't think I will watch them, mostly because I don't feel she will be doing anything new from has been done before.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
That's not what I meant, Animeboye. What I meant is, she's not likely to stop since she's getting paid to put these videos up, so she will probably watch as much as she has access to.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Allicloud,Mar 18 2011 on  10:41 AM
(4 having underdeveloped characters and plot, 5 having abysmal animation and IMO, Chomper's voice actor was awful, and 6 having Danah and Dinah who do nothing for me, and not quite as exciting as the usual movies)
I would suggest re-evaluating your opinion on 5 there.  Do you realize who you're talking about and how much you'll get flamed if you say he was bad?

I know it's your opinion and all, but I'm just warning you, okay?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Mar 18 2011 on  10:29 PM
I would suggest re-evaluating your opinion on 5 there.  Do you realize who you're talking about and how much you'll get flamed if you say he was bad?

I know it's your opinion and all, but I'm just warning you, okay?
Why should Allicloud re-evaluate their opinion? If they really think the voice chosen for Chomper was bad, then it's their right to express that opinion. How is hiding the opinion or pretending to think otherwise a better idea? All because of some immature people flaming them just because they can't handle someone else's opinion?

I disagreed with Allicloud when they said that movie five had horrible animation, but I didn't tell them to re-evaluate their opinion on that. Yes, there are opinions that are less popular than others, but those opinions have just as much right to be expressed as others.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So you're not going to answer my question? That's okay, I have a good idea on what your answer would be...

I'll say it again: I don't care that she doesn't like the sequels. I just don't see the point to these videos. Firstly, we already had twelve different people who reviewed these movies and they actually did it in an entertaining way(except for the guy who reviewed LBT 2 but that was mostly because his voice irritated me to no end) and second, I see this as nothing more than jumping on the bandwagon. You said it yourself: It's considered "Cool" to hate on the LBT sequels. Besides, doesn't Marzgurl talk about anime and things relating to anime? Since when did Land Before Time have anything to do with anime?

I'm sorry it's just getting to be the same old song and dance over and over.  I feel the same way about the people who are STILL incessantly complaining about Indy 4. If you don't like the movie, that's fine. I thought Indy 4 was an okay flick. Not a great movie by any means but not as bad as people say it is. But must we constantly be reminded of how "bad" it is? LBT isn't even popular anymore. Hardly any stores have LBT merchandise anymore and there hasn't been a new movie in over four years. I don't deny that these movies have flaws. I'm just getting tired of hearing people rant about these films. If you don't like them, ignore them. I can't believe how hard that is for some people.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have never watched any of these clips, nor do I intend to.  I'll be the first to admit to being a very sensitive person, and things like this do upset me.  Call me a sissy, I don't care.  There's a huge difference between criticism and bashing aka hating on somone or something.  These people do this for the attention (and money in some cases), so I'm not giving her the time of day by viewing her hatefulness toward something I love which will hopefully make a comeback in the future.  I have a few choice words for people like this individual, but out of respect for everyone I will leave those out <_<.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
So far I have seen only three reviews (on the original, the second, and the sixth) and while of course I do not agree with her overall opinion on the movies she does mention some points which I find are interesting topics for further discussion on the events shown in the movies rather than the quality of them.
Personally I'm really relaxed about this and see no need to condemn her for these reviews or to avoid watching them. I have my views she has hers and what I have seen so far does with all the negative statements and sometimes even unfair attacks not qualify as bashing by my definition (in my definition of bashing the lack of any points or arguments is a very central factor and I don't feel she can be accused of either). It is not exactly a surprising discovery that other people dislike LBT and as a reviewer people need to review even movies they do not approve of. There is nothing about any of this that will infringe my own calmth and peace of mind in any way, but I am looking forward to perhaps starting some threads referring to points worthy of discussion which she pointed out in her reviews.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, if you're going to question the point of the Marzgurl's LBT reviews, we might as well question anyone on TGWTG makkes any videos. It's mostly for entertainment purposes. She does typically review anime-related things, but she's also reviewed things not related to anime at all, such as Cool World.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow...you just COMPLETELY missed the point I was making. I even explained my point in the next sentence. Alright, I'll explain it again...I don't see the point to these videos because thirteen people already reviewed the sequels and TV series in a collaborative effort. I never said anything about the entertainment value of said videos or anything of the sort.

I really don't care that she gets paid to do these videos. That doesn't make her opinions any more valid. Irate Gamer gets paid to post his videos, does that somehow validate what he says? Just because someone gets paid to share their opinions doesn't mean that person has any clue as to what they're talking about. Irate Gamer is a perfect example of this.

I wonder if you'd be saying all this if it were Distressed Watcher or ConfusedMatthew who were reviewing these movies.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I know what you meant. As for those other people, well, no one gets dibs on films. There are plenty of films that have reviewed by two-more reviewers on that site.
I would have the same thing to say if Detressed Watcher or Confused Matthew reviewed. I don't watch them. I wouldn't like it, as I do not like her reviews of LBT.
The only time I have a problem with Confused Matthew is when his fans go nuts and spam Lion King hate. As for LBT hate being spammed, well... That's already everywhere and Marzgurl's review can't do any harm that hasn't already been done. And.... Better her than DW or CM.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Wow...you just COMPLETELY missed the point I was making.
And vice versa. My point is that there is absolutely no point whatsoever in getting so worked up about negative reviews of LBT from other people, no matter how many or how unfair they may be and in case of this review there are others which would more justifiably labeled "bashing".
I even explained my point in the next sentence. Alright, I'll explain it again...I don't see the point to these videos because thirteen people already reviewed the sequels and TV series in a collaborative effort.
Actually I didn't really miss the point, but I don't agree with it anyway. If somebody reviewed something already that doesn't make any further reviews useless, pointless or whatever.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I was actually responding to WeirdRaptor. Sorry 'bout that.

My getting worked up stems from me being tired of seeing a series I like getting dumped on. Criticism is one thing. A lot of series I enjoy have gotten criticized  and I respect the opinions of those who criticize them. But I just see this as senseless bashing. Nobody's forcing these people to watch these movies. If you don't like the sequels, that's fine. You think they shouldn't have made any sequels, okay. But let those who do like the movies like them.

Haters gonna hate.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I know. believe me I know, but, LBT getting dumped on is not going to change, I'm afraid. There will always be a new review which disses it. Well, I'm going to break that trend. I, at least, can write up some unbiased reviews of the series as a whole.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Really guys, there is no reason to get all upset over this. Let's face it, not everybody likes the sequels. Even members of GOF, myself included, have admitted to not liking certain sequels for different reasons. It's been said too many times, but I'll say it anyway. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and it is not our place to judge the person for their opinion. MarzGurl actually puts good detail into her reviews, so I look forward to watching all of them when they come out. She isn't bashing the movies for the sake of bashing them, but instead she's pointing out the flaws and why the movie does not stand on the same level as the original. I actually agreed with her on certain points she made about Great Valley Adventure.

Honestly, if these reviews are going to affect you so much (and this is not directed towards anybody specific), then just don't watch them. Save yourself the trouble and keep with your passion for the sequels.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Let's face it, not everybody likes the sequels

I agree but there are other ways to express your distaste for something. For example: You don't like something, pay it no mind. I don't understand why this seems to be such a complicated concept for people these days.

The haters got what they wanted: The series is over, the TV show was canceled, there's little to no more LBT merchandise being sold so what's the problem?

Even members of GOF, myself included, have admitted to not liking certain sequels for different reasons.

There are certain sequels I don't like. You see, the thing is we at least discuss why we don't like certain sequels. We discuss the good and bad points of the films. Most people outside these forums don't do that and just bash these films without anything to back up their opinions. I've seen some people outside GoF provide good points to back up what they say but that's very rare.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and it is not our place to judge the person for their opinion.

And it's not the place of the haters to dictate what others can and can't watch. If you don't like the films, just don't pay attention to them. Focus on something you do enjoy. No one's holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to watch these movies.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And it's not the place of the haters to dictate what others can and can't watch. If you don't like the films, just don't pay attention to them. Focus on something you do enjoy. No one's holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to watch these movies.
Nor are they holding a gun to your head prohibiting you to watch the movies.
So what?
The haters got what they wanted: The series is over, the TV show was canceled, there's little to no more LBT merchandise being sold so what's the problem?
So at least whatever they may think is not likely to have any notable effect on the prospects for the movies anymore ;)
There are certain sequels I don't like. You see, the thing is we at least discuss why we don't like certain sequels. We discuss the good and bad points of the films. Most people outside these forums don't do that and just bash these films without anything to back up their opinions. I've seen some people outside GoF provide good points to back up what they say but that's very rare.
But don't the reviews specify the points that are being criticized? I think that some of the points she made in the reviews I have seen so far can easily be countred and there are others that can be considered interesting topics for discussion of matters that haven't yet been addressed even by us fans of the movies. I think there is no need for these reviews to be considered any problem for LBT fans unless we fans ourselves decide to consider them a problem.