The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

DOS

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah!

Do you still remember the good ole DOS games?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Yes.  I still play a few.  I played Wolfenstein 3D about a week ago actually.  With the right configuration options, it can run on 32bit XP Pro.  I still have Treasure Mountain too....my first PC game.  Though I doubt it would run on anything newer than the 486DX I had at the time.  Unfortunately I don't have anything that old anymore that actually works.  I do have one 486DX still, but it has some sort of hardware problem and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.  My skills regarding repairing something that old are....rusty at best.  I haven't repaired a 486DX in more than 10 years now. :lol  I remember you have to put the ram in a particular order or it won't work right.  Good times. :wow

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
God yeah I do man those where the best games ever. I play that sometimes. What a great game. I remember Number Munchers And a lot of those classic games. And I still love those classic games. Those where fun right there. And they're still fun to this day. Great graphics and so on. Anyone have a Dos Emulator? I suggest you get one. Those are great to have to play the classic games.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie85,Aug 11 2011 on  03:46 PM
Anyone have a Dos Emulator? I suggest you get one. Those are great to have to play the classic games.
I've never liked those DOS emulators.  There's just something about sitting on the old 486DX or my first Pentium 100Mhz computer and playing those old games.  I even have an old IBM monitor that can only go up to 256 colors. :lol It makes me feel like a kid again.  Back in those days before everyone had a 1Ghz+ phone in their pocket and everything was GUI based.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I remember some of the games I use to enjoy playing, Duke Nukem 3d, day of the tentacle, one of the king's quest games, not sure which one, sam and max hit the road, and others I don't recall right now.

As for dos emulators the only one I've really heard of is Dosbox.  Never tried it so no idea if it's any good or not.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ah yeah I hear you about that on the DOS Emulator. They're good but not really good. I owned it. It didn't work half the time and the rom's didn't work much either. And that is awesome that you have a classic DOS type computer. I hope you can get it done.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
didn't really play much dos games. I was more on the "8-bit NES" side of gaming at that time. Since then though, I have played a few dos games, such as a space-flight sim I forgot the name of (Freespace or something like that.) That was a lot of fun though, since it simulated actual space flight rather well. Really fun to just screw around in.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
DosBox is a great emulator.  I just prefer playing DOS games on an original computer if possible.  But in order to use DosBox correctly, you need to understand DOS in general.  I actually used DOS before Windows came out.  It was real fun setting up a printer in DOS, let me tell you.  First those 5.25" floppy disks and then the "high density" 3.5" disks.  You'd have to wait till the little light went off by the drive before you ejected the disk.  Otherwise you'd ruin the disk as well as the files on it.

Then I moved onto Windows.  I didn't even have a mouse in Windows 95.  I'm grateful of that actually, because now I have EVERY SINGLE keyboard shortcut memorized.  I technically only need a mouse in programs like Photoshop.  I can minimize windows, "right click" on desktop icons, go through the start menu, and pretty much anything else you can think of I can do with nothing but a keyboard.  I didn't have a mouse back then because they were like $100 and my family couldn't afford one.  

I'll actually let y'all in on a little secret.  I hated Windows when it first came out.  3.1 was better than its predecessors, but it still sucked.  I didn't switch to Windows until Windows 95 came out.  Then I realized that Windows was absolutely the future of computer Operating Systems.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah I use to have a classic dis computer back in the day. I remember playing a classic Wheel Of Fortune Game  on it. And I remember playing a classic water and fire game. And  a very old Duke Nukem game as well. Man those take me way back to my good old youth. I was one of the best Number Muncher player in my second grade class. It was very awesome. Yeah I also loved Dos as well. There is nothing like the old classic games. These classic games where the best and still are. I really loved Windows 95. it had HOVER!!!! BEST GAME EVER!!!!!. Windows 95 got me hooked for good. Now I love Windows products. They're great and wonderful. But they did have a lot of issue's with Windows 7. It had a lot of virus's and other things. But I still love windows products. Does anyone thoses classic games I mention? They where really fun and cool.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I first started using DOS 2.11 and some Dos 3.11. The first windows I ever used was 3.11.   I never played many 8 bit era games.  Some atari and nes at a cousin's house when he lived not to far from where I did.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I played all of the stuff you posted because I had no life back in those days.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
DOOM is really the only DOS game I have played religiously. To this day I still have tons of fun with it.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
That is awesome. I still have tons of fun playing those classic dos games,

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I had DOS until Windows XP!  I had DOS back in the 80s and continued with it until I upgraded to a new computer with XP SP2.  Yes, I had it THAT long, and all I did was play floppy disk computer games on it.

I even remember having a full fledged game of Monopoly on it that I would play for hours. (Pretty accurate with the rules, actually.) I even had stuff like Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Craps, even Blackjack. (Yes, I knew how to play gambling games at the age of 10.) I even had a slow as **** chess game on there.  Yeah, on even the easiest levels, it took forever for the computer to make a move.  Oh, and it even had SimCity.  Lots of fun to play. :)

It even had some nice programs on it.  We even used it to make our own black and white banners and Birthday cards.  Saved us quite a bit of cash.  There was even a nice office program we used for making countless original school reports, without ANY need of copy & pasting a website like SO many lazy kids do today.

Oh, and I can't forget that printer that made a lot of noise as it printed out your project and had that special paper that was attached the whole way through.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ...oumKKR-pgpNyg_g

As soon as I got a new computer with XP SP2... That thing was on it's way to the DI. :D

And now I miss it. -_-

Thanks a lot for bringing back old memories. :)