The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bizarre fears you have

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have a rational, if rather extreme, fear of being betrayed by anyone I get close to.  Which is why I adamantly refuse to make real friends, or even really talk to actual people.  
Suppose it makes sense, since just about every person I have ever called a friend has tried to hurt or kill me, just about.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmm... I have fears, but none I would call too bizarre, really.

Well... sometimes I'm somewhat afraid of people who have or can ridicule me, or people who corner me into social, group card/board games. I've had bad experiences of people years younger than me saying crude or mean things about me and laughing about it, only for me to say nothing about it back.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I don't like touching metal fences because I'm always nervous they'll be electrified.

I also hate balloons  :oops

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I've starting fearing that our computers will go Skynet on us.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I need to see a ground beneath my feet, otherwise I'm getting terrified D:

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
My fear is somewhat similar to WeirdRaptor's. I'm not afraid of machines with Skynet-like capabilities (even though they can be built in theory), but of small groups of humans using machines of much more modest capabilities to eliminate the vast majority of available jobs, leaving most of mankind to eat grass or dirt.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ This is a fear that I have heard again and again from several books that I have recently read.  Both Jeremy Rifkin's book "The End of Work" and the "The Lights in the Tunnel"
"The Lights in the Tunnel" by Martin Ford elaborate upon what would happen as jobs are lost to automation and the cash flow within the economy from the means of production to laborers is shut down.  In both cases they advocated a guaranteed basic income through tax revenue that would potentially remedy the cash flow problem, but lead to others (no incentive to work even amongst those with the capability, for example).  Needless to say, if either of them are correct then capitalism will either have to change radically in the next century or so, or else be replaced with something else.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.