The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Venatione Venatus

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yay!  :DD

I have to say, listening to certain soundtracks is really inspiring me as I write. I may have this next chapter out fairly soon!

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hey guys! Here's the next chapter. Here, you will learn more about both Xal and Kai. I hope you find it interesting... :blink: anyway, here it is!

Note that passages in italics indicate flashbacks.

Chapter Five: Mesmerising Memoirs

Nobody could suspect what sort of plot was forming upon such a peaceful hill that the Fanged Forest rested upon.

As the sunlight winked its way through the lightly rustling leaves, a certain individual yawned and rose to his feet.
Well, it had been a month. Xal had always suspected Seizon could look after himself, but he was now slightly concerned that this may not be the case. Well, either that, or he couldn’t rely on his comrades…

In an attempt to distract himself from the issue, he strolled over to where a large tiger-striped two-claw Sharptooth was lying, twitching slightly as the light of the Bright Circle caressed him.

“Well, Ferox?” Xal asked smoothly. “How are you feeling?”

“Not so bad,” Ferox grunted, shifting slightly. “That damn longneck really did mess me up though…any word from Saureen and the others?”

Xal shook his head.

“I’m afraid not,” he replied, his eyes glassy, apparently deep in thought.

Ferox opened one eye and gazed at the bladeback reproachfully.

“Listen, Xal,” he said. “I’ve been following you unwaveringly here – I expected you to look after my daughter just as a small favour in return. But if you can’t even manage that, I may have to-”

“Don’t be foolish, Ferox,” Xal interrupted coolly. “You know you’re in no fit state to travel anywhere at the moment. In any case, I fairly sure that the only issue here is that the one whom I ordered to tail them is incompetent. They are most likely not in any danger at the moment. Seizon will protect her – I know he’s capable of that.”

“But if…”

“If,” Xal cut across him again, this time in a sharper tone, which shut him up. “If that murderous flathead has caught up with them, we would know about it, because then he’d come back for us. He was obviously entrusted to do this job alone.”

Ferox didn’t raise any further objections. In any case, Xal was now distracted by a growing shape in the sky…

“Hang on…” he muttered, his eyes widening. “I think this is it…”

Ferox also looked up. The shape was now coming into focus, and when it landed on a branch of a nearby tree, it became obvious that it was a sharpbeak, who instantly saluted Xal.

“Ah, Ichy,” Xal greeted him in return. “I was beginning to think you weren’t coming…”

“Well, it’s been a tough flight,” Ichy protested. “Anyway, I’m pleased to report that Seizon and Saureen have successfully infiltrated the Great Valley and retrieved The Ambassador.”
This was a code-word, but it obviously delighted Xal to no end.

“Excellent!” he said. “And they’ve put together a successful pack?”

“Yep,” Ichy replied. “The Ambassador is a bit reluctant to engage in hunting activities, but that’s only to be expected.”

“Quite,” Xal agreed, nodding. “And I’m sure Seizon will be able to lick him into shape…well, thank you for the news Ichy, now if you would kindly go back out there, and this time, make them aware of you, and tell exactly what I have planned.”

“Sure thing,” Ichy replied. “I’m so exhausted! I need to take a break and have a bite to eat before I go. I’ve only been able to eat a few lousy insects on my way here.”

A look of annoyance crossed Xal’s face.

“I don’t like idleness, Ichy,” he informed him. “Remember, I want from each according to their ability.”

“And you promised TO each according to their need,” Ichy countered. “I ask only for a small meal.”

Xal sighed, and gestured to the hollowhorn that he killed earlier.

“Be my guest,” he said.

Ichy quickly ate his fill before promising to do what Xal asked him and taking off again.

“You seem to be relying very heavily on Seizon,” Ferox noted, speaking for the first time since Ichy arrived.

“I have great faith in him,” Xal replied simply.

“He is only a kid though,” Ferox persisted. “And you know – you’re the only thing close to a father he actually has. Surely you need to take that responsibility into account.”

Xal glared at him.

“I do,” he insisted. “But sometimes, risks need to be taken for the greater good. Now, if, by some unlikely chance, he dies during this whole operation, he will be remembered in the new world as a great martyr.”

He strode away before Ferox could challenge his logic further. Xal realised that he was sounding quite cold, but if only they had a clue what exactly he was working towards…this was Eykion’s dream more than anything, and after everything that had happened, he couldn’t betray his memory…

The sky water was cascading upon the waiting sharpteeth in a torrent. Many of the harder-lined ones were simply standing there as it dripped off their muzzles, although a young bladeback whom we know as Xal was visibly shivering from a combination of cold, nerves and excitement.

He turned to look at the most powerful Sharptooth of the group, the great Eykion, who was standing, staring fixedly at the mountain walls of the Great Valley. If one Sharptooth had backbone, it was definitely Eykion – it was even visible through his skin. At least, that’s what Xal had always assumed the raised part of skin on his back was…

“Eykion…” Xal whispered. “Will we be killing Ulciscor tonight?”

Eykion nodded slowly.

“If all goes to plan, then yes.” He smiled slightly. “Then the Great Valley will be ours, and we can finally gain our freedoms. It’ll be a paradise for sharpteeth – all tensions between our kinds will be over.”

He gazed down at Xal.

“You’re eager I see?” he commented.

Xal nodded.

“This moment will make history!” he declared. “And so…it is an honour to be part of this history!”

Eykion nodded.

“Nevertheless, it is important to remember that glory is not the reason for this…” he gazed, once again, up at the Great Valley. “This is for what is right and what is just. And if you have the ability to do so, you must act upon it for the greater good!”

These words echoed in the distant thunder as though from a God. Xal didn’t think he had ever heard such wisdom preached. His eyes were wide with wonder as Eykion strode over to a Sharptooth flyer who had landed nearby.

“Eykion,” he said, saluting. “The time is right. We can infiltrate through the Southern cave into the caverns. Once we break through from there all of the prisoners shall be able to escape. Attempts to regain order from Ulciscor’s forces will be stunted by our attack then.”

“Excellent!” Eykion nodded heartily and turned to face his army.

“Alright, listen up,” he said. “This is one of the most pivotal turning points in history. I trust that every single one of you knows of the plan? The cave we shall enter through is the one bearing to the South. Now, for this operation, extreme care and courage is required…”

Xal held himself proudly.

“If any of you feel you are not up to this challenge, you may leave now,” Eykion continued.

Not a single Sharptooth moved. And quite right too, Xal thought indignantly. If anyone had turned their cowardly tail on the great Eykion and his cause at this point, he would have hunted them down and make them pay for their treachery.

Eykion, moving silently but swiftly, led them all to a cave to the South of the Great Valley. It wasn’t quite as big as they’d hoped for.

“Eykion!” Xal said breathlessly. “If I may…”

“Well, if you can fit…” Eykion replied simply. “But be careful, and make sure a pathway is cleared for the rest of us!”

Xal pressed forward – it would only take on to infiltrate! However, his infiltration didn’t last long, as Eykion held him back.

“What-”

His answer came to him when a terrifying crumbling of rocks signalled the approach of Ulciscor’s foot-soldiers from atop the Great Wall. And looking up now, Xal could see their ugly forms silhouetted in the night sky. Longnecks, but somewhat shorter and stockier than most of their kind – most terrifying of all though was their tails – they ended with a powerful bony club…

With a deafening bellow, the longnecks began their charge down the mountainside, which Eykion quickly moved to retaliate against. His sharpteeth were ordered in mobilisation and they too charged. It was a great clash of teeth and bodies with grunts, growls, snarls, roars and bellows cutting through the night air as a great battle began.

Xal, determined to redeem himself for, in his opinion, having failed his leader, charged straight up the mountainside in an attempt to get into the Valley that way. However, he was intercepted on the way there as one of the stocky longnecks rammed into him. Xal slid a few feet backwards before surging forward again, jaws opened wide. He bit the longneck on the shoulder, causing the creature to howl in pain before swinging its powerful tail around so the club struck Xal in the side.

Cut and winded, Xal staggered backwards before skidding back down the mountainside, his attacker in pursuit. Not to be outdone, Xal next leapt onto the longneck’s back, taking a huge bite out of it, and causing the leaf-eater to rear up, twisting his neck from side-to-side. Its tiny, hard head bludgeoned into Xal’s shoulder, the momentum of which knocked them both over, once again sliding down the Wall. In an attempt to untangle himself from this herbivore, Xal kicked out whilst trying to get to his feet, flinging the animal’s long neck into a pile of nearby rocks. There was a sickening crack as its neck broke, and Xal, wounded and bleeding, got unsteadily to his feet.

A complete melee was going on around him. As Sharptooth and leaf eater alike fell around him, the mountainside was becoming a blood bath. Xal’s primary concern however, was Eykion…

Charging back up the mountainside, Xal saw him: he was silhouetted against the Night Circle-light, atop the Great Wall itself, locked in combat with a tall, powerful, iron-grey longneck.

Ulciscor himself.

Without even thinking, Xal gave a mighty roar and charged. He would defend Eykion to the death if he had to…

Ulciscor turned his head slightly to see the bladeback snarling at him and gave his tail a light but effective flick. Xal was struck hard in the face and almost fell back down the mountain again. Seeing his attack hadn’t worked Ulciscor made to attack him again, but just then Eykion leapt clean over the longneck, right in front of Xal in an effort to protect him. His jaws fastened around the powerful, whip-like tail, and Ulciscor bellowed in fury, attempting to shake him off. A short wrestle between these two might leaders resulted in Eykion being flung over the edge of the wall…
“Eykion!” Xal yelled in panic. Eykion had not fallen on the Eastern side of the wall, with a mountain slope and where all the sharpteeth and longnecks were battling. He had slipped over the other side, which was much more of a sheer drop. He was clinging to edge with his claws, but let’s be honest – most sharpteeth don’t have overly big arms.

Ulciscor attempted to fling Xal over the edge to, but spurred by anger, Xal bit him on the flank, and during the wrestle, Xal heard Eykion speak.

“Xal…give the order to retreat. I’ve got things under control here.”

Retreat?? Xal couldn’t believe his ears.

“Go! Now!” Eykion ordered more sharply. “Don’t worry…most rock faces have a weak spot…”

Just as Xal realised what he meant, Ulciscor flung him off, sending him back down the mountain-slope, further away from Eykion. He gave the retreat order, just as he’d been commanded, and taking advantage of the weak point in the wall, Eykion caused a massive rockslide, collapsing the entire thing…

It had been a self-sacrifice, Xal reflected. The cascading rocks had crushed Eykion to death, and most unfortunately, hadn’t done the same for Ulciscor. However, many of his soldiers had also fallen under the rocks, and he was forced to flee from the Valley. With their numbers dwindled, the sharpteeth had known they couldn’t take the Valley. But now, Xal decided, NOW…was the time to begin the operation again.

Chomper lay awake quite silently on the stone floor of the cave. Dawn was normally a lethargic moment for him, in which he’d lie in a doze as the warm rays caressed his scales until Ruby got him up. Now however, he didn’t feel lethargic at all – these sleeping arrangements were NOT to his satisfaction.

It wasn’t the cave that was bothering him – Chomper was used to sleeping in a cave. Rather than discomforting him, they normally made him feel quite safe and protected. No – what was bothering him was the fact that sleeping around him were a pack of sharpteeth who he had seen kill a leaf-eater yesterday, one whose bones still littered the floor.

Chomper closed his eyes and rolled over in an attempt to get some more sleep, but this was made impossible when a loud snore emitted from the one who was sleeping beside him. He opened his eyes and gazed, slightly annoyed, at Lini, who had insisted on sleeping next to him. He had accepted – but that was before he realised she snored even louder than Spike. Sighing and abandoning all hope of anymore sleep, Chomper sat up and rubbed his eyes.

On his other side, Saureen was sleeping peacefully, her low, rhythmic breathing a much more peaceful sound that Lini’s snores – Chomper felt quite calmer watching her sleep – her positing whilst sleeping was very similar to his own – on her side, with her tail tucked up to her stomach. Seeing her elegant form like this, it was easy to forget that she too had been involved in the death of the leaf-eater.

Glancing over his shoulder, Chomper saw Al sleeping a slight distance away from them, his own tail curled around him, making practically no noise at all – no snoring or even heavy breathing…Chomper couldn’t even been sure if he were alive were it not for the rhythmic rise and fall of his torso.

Seizon sounded quite relaxed in his sleep – he kept on making little sighs of ecstasy and gasps of pride…it seemed he was just as full of himself when asleep as when awake. Nycha was lying next to him – in fact, almost on top of him. Wow, she was eager…

So…where was Pyron?

This puzzled Chomper. In order to put his mind at ease, he got to his feet and crept quietly out of the cave.

Pyron was outside, carrying a few pointy seeds, for a reason that wasn’t overly clear to Chomper yet. When Pyron saw him however, he smiled and waved.

“Morning!” he called.

“Uhh…morning,” Chomper replied.

“What are you doing up so early?” Pyron continued.

“I could ask you the same thing…” Chomper countered.

Pyron laughed.

“Just thought I’d have a game before everyone else got up,” he explained, gesturing to the pointy seeds he had now placed in a row. He then walked towards a spherical rock…

“Pointy seed bowling?” Chomper asked, unable to stop himself.

“Yeah!”

Chomper’s face brightened.

“I love that game!” he said earnestly.

“Well, come down!”  Pyron said warmly. “I’ve always wanted a bit of a rival…”

Chomper laughed in spite of himself.

“You’ve met your match now!” he joked.

It was actually rather fun, playing with Pyron. Despite his obvious skill at killing fellow dinosaurs, Chomper could hardly believe it. He talked and joked, just like any friend Chomper had had.

Eventually, Pyron won, though narrowly.

“Good game!” he commented, thumping him on the back. “You’re not as weedy as you look…”

Chomper rolled his eyes.
“Thanks…” he muttered.

Pyron laughed again. His laugh was very striking to Littlefoot’s, as it happened, which gave Chomper a twinge of homesickness in his gut.

“So…” Pyron said, gazing around slightly awkwardly. “What do you think?”

Chomper didn’t pretend to misunderstand.

“It’s horrible,” he said at once. “I can’t hunt – I’m not born for it…”

“Born for it?” Pyron repeated sceptically. “Do you actually believe in fate and destiny?”

Chomper shrugged.

“Maybe,” he replied. “After all, I was hatched by leaf-eaters…that’s got to mean something, right?”

“Not necessarily,” Pyron said firmly. “After all, does that mean sharpteeth who were born into ruthless clans are always destined to be ruthless killers?”

Chomper felt slightly guilty.

“No…I didn’t mean…”

But Pyron was still smiling.

“Don’t worry about it. It’ll get better.”

Chomper gave a snort of scepticism.

“Everyone says that…”

“And they’re right,” Pyron insisted. “I tell you, when I first arrived in this group, I found everyone…well…a bit peculiar. Now, to be honest, they’re all great!” He placed his hand on Chomper’s shoulder. “Obviously it’s going to take a bit longer with you, but we’ll all be here to support you. That’s sort of the point of bringing you along in the first place.”

Chomper thought about this deeply. He still didn’t know what his friends would say if they saw him doing this, but nevertheless he was amazed at the extraordinary similarities all these sharpteeth had with his friends. Pyron’s smiling at him and the way his hand was on his shoulder, not to mention the way he spoke was as though he were addressing a brother, and Chomper was grateful to an extent he couldn’t describe…

“Thanks,” he said. “But still, everyone here hates me…”

“Rubbish!!” Pyron declared, shaking Chomper slightly. “Come on! You’re great fun to have around! Saureen really likes you, Lini-” he chuckled “-has really taken to you…Al gets on with everyone, don’t worry about him…”

“What about Seizon?” Chomper demanded.

“Well,” Pyron explained. “He may seem a bit of a harsh driver, especially to you…but if you got to know him, he is a pretty nice guy…he’s just obsessed with doing things for Xal…”

“What do you think of Xal?” Chomper interrupted.

Pyron shrugged.

“Never met him,” he said. “And as for my sister…” he paused and drew in breath. “OK…she doesn’t like you, but she’s very mistrusting of anyone other than myself and Seizon, who she fancies, so, you know…”

Chomper smiled again. It was quite a weak smile, but a smile all the same.

Pyron’s smile became broader.

“OK,” he said. “Now, do you want to know of a professional way to catch fish?”

“Come on Spike – sniff!” Ducky coaxed. Getting Spike to sniff for Chomper seemed to be the most sensible option at this moment in time, though Spike seemed to be quite confused about this trail. Chomper’s scent was mixed in with several others, and in some cases, it even led back into the Valley. Or maybe he was just unnerved by the presence of such a peculiar stranger.

“You see,” Kai was saying to Littlefoot, the only person he actually seemed to notice. “Communities such as the Great Valley have always been a source of fascination, but I think…”

Cera was behind the rest of the group, her mind being driven, for once, from all thoughts of her feuding family, as she was both worried for Chomper and irritated over Kai’s strange attitude. She guessed they had no choice but to bring him along, otherwise he’d report on their wanderings, but all the same…

“Problem?”

Cera looked up to see Ruby come to walk beside her.

“Well…” Cera began. She gestured at Kai’s massive frame.

“You don’t like him do you?” Ruby asked lightly.

“No,” Cera replied. “And I know, I guess I’m just being paranoid or…”

“No,” Ruby said firmly. “I agree with you.”

“You-what?” Cera was rather taken aback. Ruby was always an optimistic person – attempting to see the best in people. To say something like that was quite a shift in character.

Ruby glowered at Kai.

“He’s very odd…” she muttered. “And rather rude…I don’t know what’s going on in his head, but it certainly isn’t…”

“I wonder,” Kai suddenly said loudly. “Have you kids ever heard of a longneck called Ulciscor?”

“No…” Petrie replied uncertainly, hovering near Kai’s eye.

“Who he?”

Kai smiled reminiscently.

“He’s great,” he said earnestly. “One of the best longnecks I’ve ever met. And a great leader. In fact, it’s because of him I was in the Valley.”

“Does he live in the Valley?” Littlefoot asked.

“No,” Kai replied. “But he did. A long time ago…”

Tria drank slowly from a stream as she reflected on her meeting with Topsy earlier. It hadn’t gone overly well. She sighed, shaking her head as she tried to forget about it.

She thought she was alone – she had in fact come here to be alone, when she noticed Mr Thicknose eating from a nearby bush. She decided it would pay to be polite.

“Ah, hello,” she said.

“Hello…” Thicknose responded, looking slightly apprehensive.

Tria frowned slightly.

“Are you alright?” she asked. “You’ve been acting a bit reclusive lately…”

“Well, everyone’s tried not to draw attention to themselves recently when you and your husband have been around, arguing…” Thicknose replied levelly.

Tria scowled.

“Don’t give me that. It’s not just us you’ve been withdrawing from. It’s everyone. You seem preoccupied about something.”

“I’m not…” Thicknose mumbled.

“Oh yes?”

Thicknose gave her a penetrating look.

“Perhaps if you saw things from my perspective, Tria,” he said. “Of course, you wouldn’t understand – you haven’t been in the Great Valley all that long…”

“Yes,” Tria agreed. “But Topsy has, and he doesn’t ramble on about perspective…” at the moment, she didn’t want to talk about her husband, but he was the first example she could think of.

“Not as long as me,” Thicknose argued. “I was born here – none of the majority of the herd is. Sure, your husband and Mr Longneck have done great for this Valley with the process of everyone getting a say in decisions.” Thicknose smiled jovially. “But all the same, they weren’t born here – they and their herd arrived here shortly after the Great Earthshake. But I was born here – I’ve spent practically all of my life here. Heard great stories of the beginnings of us and the Hidden Runner. But there is one tale I can tell first-hand, but I’ve refrained from telling, due to the horror of the situation…”

“Just spit it out,” Tria interrupted. “You’re not making a lot of sense. Besides, I haven’t seen the kids for a while – likelihood is they’ve gone in search of Chomper. And if we’re going to go out and look for them, I’ll need to hear your explanation quickly.”

“Well, it’s not something easy to tell,” Thicknose replied. “But maybe now it’s best to tell it, as I have a nasty feeling something very like it is going to happen soon…”

“Tell me,” Tria insisted.

“Alright,” Thicknose agreed. “I suppose it begins, with one individual. His name is largely unknown around the Valley these days. I expect you haven’t heard it.”

“What’s the name?”

“Ulciscor.”

Thicknose, or Dorian, as he was known as a youngster, sat idly down by the fast-water watching some of his friends wrestle in the grass.

“What exactly do you hope to gain?” he demanded of them.

Loud thuds and yells was the reply he got, and so, laughing slightly he started to chew on the grass near him. Heavy footfalls however, told him that he had company.

An impressively tall, iron-grey longneck was striding confidently towards him. He didn’t say a word as his dark eyes swept over them all. Then, he stripped a mouthful of leaves from a nearby tree and began to chew rhythmically.

“Hi,” Dorian said, in an attempt to make conversation.

The stranger nodded in reply.

“You new here?” Dorian asked.

Again with the nod.

“What’s your name?” Dorian pressed.

The stranger swallowed the mouthful of leaves he was chewing before saying a single word.

“Ulciscor.”

He then returned to his eating without saying anything more. Dorian got the impression that to say his name was the only thing Ulciscor would speak for.

“He was an impressive sight to behold,” the modern-day Thicknose explained. “Very tall and elegant longneck sort of shape. Because of his size, I only realised later that he was actually not that much older than me – he just seemed it. Apart from his size and stature, there wasn’t a lot to say about him. He was fairly polite, but he was, well…” Tria could tell he was searching for the right word.

“A bit peculiar,” Thicknose decided.

“Yes, he does sound it,” Tria replied, frowning. “I don’t quite follow how an entire horror-story from the pre-Great Earthshake Valley can stem from this one reclusive longneck.”

“I’m getting to that, Tria,” Thicknose said patiently. “And it isn’t a horror story – it’s as real as anything that has happened to this Valley. Now, it’s important in this to include details of some other individuals involved. What you need to understand is, back then, we didn’t have the council the same way we do now – every elder in the Great Valley being involved in the decision making. We had rulers – they still listened to us, but essentially, they were in charge.”

“Were they oppressive?” Tria asked, sounding suddenly interested.

“No,” Thicknose replied, smirking slightly. “Quite the opposite in the fact. Oh, they were absolutely wonderful! I wish you’d known them – they always spoke to us at large, with kind, gentle words, that were also strong – they made you sound like you could trust them, you know? There words would wrap around you, comforting you like a mothers’ tail and keeping you warm and safe…any decision they made for the Valley would be for the benefit of us, not themselves.”

He suddenly gained a misty, faraway look in his eyes. Tria allowed him a few moments reminiscing before clearing her throat.

“So – who were they?”

“Hm? Oh yeah. Well, they were a family of spiketails actually. Quite a small group – some of them just kids…but the most prominent ones were our overall herd leader, Omendric, his wife, Opal, and his brother Ronan. Great they were…”

“What happened to them?” Tria asked.

Thicknose turned to her, a pained expression on his face.

“During one cold time, Omendric announced he was going to boost our spirits slightly by going and retrieving some hard water sweets on a dangerous mountainside. Because it was so dangerous, he announced he was going to go alone.”

“Wasn’t everyone worried he’d eat them all himself?” Tria asked, failing to hide a smile.

Thicknose laughed in spite of himself.

“The thing is, we all knew him too well. He had a large appetite, just like any spiketail. But his heart was bigger – we knew his main concern was for us.” He sighed.

“So, what happened?” Tria asked.

“He went out into the Mysterious Beyond alone,” Thicknose repeated simply. “What do you think happened?”

Tria nodded sympathetically.

“A pack of sharpteeth attacked him when he was on the mountainside,” Thicknose explained. “To be honest, they were probably suffering worse than we were from this particularly nasty cold time, especially since white ground sparkles were common there, whereas we had none here…but we didn’t see it that way. From what I heard, Omendric put up a terrific fight. He took out at least two of them before they finally pinned him down and…killed him…”

The last two words sent a shiver up Tria’s spine.

“Then what?” she whispered.

“Well, everyone was very shocked and angry,” Thicknose explained. “And there was quite a fierce argument about who should replace him…and during that, one voice made itself heard more than any others…”

The panic and tension in the air was thick and rife mixed in with the loud buzz of angry and scared voices.

“How could this have happened…?”
“This is terrible…”
“I can’t believe this!”
“What are we going to do???”

Dorian gulped and made sure he was close to his friends. They were only adolescents, and were probably still vulnerable to stampedes made by terrified dinosaurs.

“Please everyone!” a voice called at the crowd. It did very little to stifle the din, but Opal, even through her tears, was attempting to regain control of the Great Valley’s populace.

Her voice went unheard until one angry clubtail barked,
“This is all your fault spiketail! You should have gone with him!”

Many of the dinosaurs seemed to agree with this statement, and they began to swarm on Opal, giving angry mutters of distaste. Ronan quickly placed himself in front of her, his tail raised, in a seeming attempt to battle off the swarmers. But he would have a job…

“ENOUGH!!!”

Suddenly, the loudest bellow of the lot had now come from behind the mob, which turned to look at the majestic form of Ulciscor striding towards them. The crowd parted like the Red Sea as Ulciscor, the tallest one there, surveyed the dinosaurs.

“You should not blame Omendric’s family,” Ulciscor insisted. “They did not have the power to stop this from happening. What we should be blaming is the system – even with one family in charge, there is still too much talk. We need quick and efficient actions by a great leader.”

His words sounded so encouraging, very few of them even realised Ulciscor had made a subtle insult towards Omendric’s leadership skills. On the contrary, many gave auditory agreements and one or two even cheered.

“I’ll tell you what else we should blame,” Ulciscor continued, now standing where Omendric once stood to deliver speeches, his face twisting in hatred. “Sharpteeth!” he spat. “Their venom continues to seep through our world. They’re a plague – worse than swarming leaf-gobblers, and our world will continue to be oppressed if they are allowed to exist. I promise you, if I can, I will lead my armies into the mysterious beyond, and all the sharpteeth in all the world will be hunted down and destroyed!”

This time, a great cheer rose up among the crowds, even though what Ulciscor said was rather irrational – what armies was he even referring to? Even so, it took Opal and Ronan many minutes to restore calm.

“Things moved very quickly after that,” modern Thicknose continued. “A few days later, Opal announced that they were going to have an election within the Valley – the populace would vote on whether they wanted the spiketail family to remain in charge or whether all power over the Valley should be handed to Ulciscor. The votes were cast, and the majority wanted Ulciscor to become leader – and so he did. The spiketails left the very same day. I’m told Opal and Ronan then got married and had a kid themselves, but I other than that, I never heard from either of them again.”

He sighed.

“I’ll tell you, even though I was sad to see the spiketails going, I actually supported Ulciscor. Like Omendric before him, he spoke as though you could trust him – only this time, he seemed to be offering long-term solutions to all the problems we had.”

Ulciscor gazed around at the eager crowd who had just voted him in.

“Now,” he said. “We must get things moving. From this day forward, we shall work tirelessly to ensure the destruction of all sharpteeth, the safety of our Valley, and the superiority of us in the world. It’ll be hard, but I promise, the end result will more than make up for it.
I expect you’re all wondering how decisions will be made. Well, I’ll tell you – I’ll make all the decisions. And I have some special dinosaurs who will ensure all of these decisions are carried out.”

From the bushes behind him, a group of dinosaurs emerged. They were a strange sight to behold – they were longnecks, but were quite short, stocky and ugly – especially compared to Ulciscor’s iron-grey slenderness. Also, as was soon noticed by the crowd, they had bony clubs at the end of their tails…

“Many were, understandably, quite nervous about the ëBludgeon Brigade’ as Ulciscor called them,” Thicknose explained. They trooped around the Valley ensuring everything was, ëas it should.’ Ulciscor however, insisted they were here for our safety.”

“And what happened then?” Tria asked breathlessly.

“We just continued,” Thicknose said simply. “Ulciscor put us to work on a task of ëstrengthening the Valley.’ Essentially, it was reinforcing the Great Wall with more rocks systematically. It kept us busy, but we thought we were working for the greater good. Not a lot happened until a few far-walkers arrived.”

“And what happened to them?” Tria asked.

“They were stopped by some of the Bludgeoners,” Thicknose replied, a trifle sadly. “They went to Ulciscor, who said that, as they were wanderers, and not residents of the Great Valley, they would have to be ëheld’ whilst alleged ëinvestigation’ was made into their identities.” He sighed.

“He was using the Secret Caverns as a sort of, well…prison.”

Tria gasped.

“Yep. The far-walkers were placed in there, and promised that they would be let out eventually. Though we never saw any of them again. And then, something happened whilst we were working that changed everyone’s view of Ulciscor…”

Dorian gave a great sigh of satisfaction as the huge rock he had be rolling for past half an hour finally locked into place beside the rest. This section of the Great Wall would surely be able to resist any kind of Sharptooth attack!

“Nice work,” Dorian’s swimmer friend, Lando, commented. “Yep!” Dorian nodded. “Last a thousand cold times, that will!”

“Not as much as my work,” Lando joked. “Anyway – time for lunch I think.”

“Quite,” Dorian agreed. All of their lunches were provided to them by the Bludgeoners near the Thundering Falls. And so, they walked over to the neat little piles of plant matter and began to eat.

“You don’t mind if I have that treesweet, do you?” Lando asked, gesturing to succulent fruit on Dorian’s pile.

“Course not,” Dorian said, beginning to roll it towards him. He was stopped short, however, when a massive scaly, club smashed into the ground between him and Lando…this of course, was a Bludgeoner’s tail.

“I’m sorry,” the exceptionally grim looking Bludgeoner said. “But a new law has been commissioned from Ulciscor. Four-footers and two-footers are no longer allowed to interact. Swimmer – you will have to leave. Now.”

“What?” Lando was completely non-plussed. Before he had time to make any objections, two more Bludgeoners had forced their tails around his arms and were dragging him away…

“No!” Dorian protested, attempting to go after him, but he too was held back by the Bludgeoners.

“This new law must be upheld,” The grim Bludgeoner said gruffly. “Any breakers of this law will be severely punished.”

“Why???” Dorian demanded, almost in tears.

“Ask Ulciscor yourself,” the Bludgeoner replied, gesturing to the iron-grey longneck striding towards them.

“Is the law being enforced?” he asked the Bludgeoner. The Bludgeoner nodded, and gestured around, where Dorian could now see many two-footers being dragged away.

“What’s this for?” he demanded of Ulciscor. The Bludgeoners tensed around him, but Ulciscor seemed fairly relaxed.

“It is for,” he said. “Upholding the leaf-eaters’ honour. We are all superior to sharpteeth, it is true, but because they are two-footed, two-footed leaf-eaters are inferior to four-footed ones. It’s the way of the world, and for that reason, they cannot be allowed to mix with us four-footers, of which longnecks are the most superior of all.”

His cocky smile angered Dorian to an extent where he was just hearing nonsense – which, he now realised, was all it had ever been.

“That’s crazy!” he yelled, before he could stop himself. “What gives you the right to say that and do that?”

Ulciscor’s face curled in anger, and when the Bludgeoners restrained Dorian this time, he made no move to stop them. Then he pushed his face against Dorian’s.

“Because,” he hissed. “I am the Lone Dinosaur!”

“WHAT??” Tria practically screamed. “Did he actually say that?”

“Yep.” Thicknose said simply. “And it was obvious many people believed him. But from that moment onwards, things went from bad to worse. Four-footers and two-footers were no longer allowed to interact. Any interaction would result in imprisonment. For speaking out against Ulciscor, I was imprisoned for four days, but many ended up in there a lot longer.” Tears now started to form in the old dinosaur’s eyes.

“And imprisonment wasn’t the only punishment we faced,” he said. “Many resistors – particularly two-footers, were brutally beaten by the Bludgeoners. And once in a while, they were taken to the top of the Great Wall, and amongst a crowd of terrified onlookers, were flung off to their deaths…”

Tria was wide-eyed in horror.

“They called this method execution,” Thicknose explained. “And it happened to Lando…Ulciscor claimed that, as he was the Lone Dinosaur, he could do this. If anyone disagreed with him, they were imprisoned or killed. We lived in terror, still working for what we knew was a lost cause. But it’s not as if we could resist…

“The Bludgeoners controlled every aspect of our lives. We were worked hard, though apparentley, the two-footers were forced to work harder. They even controlled our food – Ulciscor ordered that every major plantation was stripped of all its food, and that the treestars and treesweets and whatnot were stored and given out accordingly. Two-footers were given less food than us apparently, even though they worked harder. And of course, longnecks, especially Ulciscor, had the best food.”

Tria was listening to this intently. She never knew that this old dinosaur had such hardship in his past. She suspected that there were precious few else in the Valley who would remember Ulciscor’s reign of terror, as most of them had arrived following the massive drought and Great Earthshake.

“But I tell you…the worst moment of all of this came about a week after Lando’s execution,” Thicknose said, his voice shaking slightly. “I was working on enforcing the Great Wall, as usual, when I was ordered to go up to the top and examine its strength. So, I climbed to the top and was looking over just outside the Valley, a horrific sight met my eyes.”

“What?” Tria breathed.

“Sharpteeth. Dead sharpteeth. Hundreds of them. Rows of corpses of all different kinds of sharpteeth, just lain out systematically. They had been violently beaten and crushed to death, and I had no doubt who had done it…Ulciscor had his Bludgeoners had gone out into the Mysterious Beyond and just killed any sharpteeth they could find, whether they were a threat to them or not, and left their corpses here, almost as trophies! Unprovoked barbaric attacks. And even from here, I could see that many of the sharpteeth were very young.”

A horrible image of Chomper lying dead and crushed flashed through Tria’s mind…if that had happened to him…no…she shouldn’t think like that.

“So…what happened next?” Tria asked, her voice quavering.

“The Bludgeoner’s must have realised my horrified look meant I had seen what they were trying to hide,” Thicknose explained. “They dragged me back down and beat me with their tails until I promised not to say anything. This reign of terror though, the Great Valley under Ulciscor lasted quite a while longer, until one night, we heard a massive battle ensuing between the Blugdeon Brigade and an army of sharpteeth on the Great Wall. An entire portion of the wall collapsed, and due to his heavy losses in Bludgeoners, Ulciscor fled. Even though we were scarred and haunted by the experience, we eventually returned to our normal lives.”

Tria was in a stunned silence as Dorian Thicknose finished his story.

“I never knew…” she murmured.

Thicknose shook his head.

“Of course not,” he said. “But please don’t worry.”

“OK,” Tria nodded. “I think I’ll go and have a look for Cera now. She may still be in the Valley. She’s very upset over mine and Topsy’s disputes. I’ll try and make it up to her.”

She began to walk away, but then suddenly turned back.

“Hang on a minute,” she said. “All of this stuff with Ulciscor – it was a long time ago, so why are you acting so reclusive now?”

Thicknose pulled a face.

“Because recently,” he said. “Around the Valley I’ve been seeing a horrifying reminder of those days – in the form of a far-walker who bears a striking resemblance to Ulciscor’s tyrannical and vicious right-hand man: a spiked longneck by the name of Kai."

~0~

DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUN!!!! And there you have it! Revelations or what? So, now you understand the background, things have become a lot more complicated. Give me your thoughts on Xal's dreams as well as the whole Ulciscor/Kai thing. Should be interested to hear.

Yeah, this whole set-up is very political - the Great Valley under Ulciscor is based off the concept of a fascist authoritarian apartheid state. Give me your thoughts on that. And on Pyron too!  :lol:

Just to clarify, Eykion here is a member of the large theropod species Acrocanthosaurus, whereas Ulciscor's bludgeon brigade are the Chinese sauropod Shunosaurus. Thanks for reading!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow! I'm impressed :wow

So many great things happened that I'm afraid I can't name all of these things...

First there's the conversation between Pyron and Chomper: Pyron seems to be a nice guy.
Xal seems to have great plans and I have to admit that after reading that 100! Sharpteeth were murdered he has a point...
Uliscor first seemed to be a nice guy but then this... reminds me of Hades in Nahla's fic though he kills other Longnecks instead of Sharpteeth and he has a Fastbiter army

I found a typo:
“Well…” Cera began. He gestured at Kai’s massive frame.
should be she I think :)

Well, I don't know what more I could say other than 'well done Dosu' :angel

Keep up writing VV, it's a great story! Continue to make such great and awesome chapters :)
Can't wait for the next one :lol
Inactive, probably forever.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks!  :lol:

Yeah, I'm glad you liked these backstories and everything.  ;)  But there are even more revelations to come, not to mention more development with the other sharptooth characters! Stay tuned!  :D

And typos are annoying... :rolleyes:

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Omendric, his wife, Opal, and his brother Ronan. Great they were…”
I know someone named Ronan, so this stuck out the most to me.
But that's not everything I have to say! Wow! Just wow!! Lots of things happening!
Ulciscor - if I could pronounce his name - is ruining the name of the Lone Dinosaur if you ask me! I oughta sick my OC Razor on him!!
Xal, well, Xal sounds at least slightly less manic and controlling. I'll be interested to read more on both fo them.
Haha yes! A nice sharptooth! i loved that scene, it relaly helped with Chomper bonding wiht the rest of the pack - Pyron seems like a good guy.
And WOW!! Thicknose, I knew you were smart and awesome! I loved the history bits, very interesting, and really helps with the plot :DD
Good luck and look forward to reading more!
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot!!!  :DD

Pronunciation with Ulciscor's name is probably going to be a bit of a problem - it is Latin after all!  :rolleyes: And I hope Razor is up to the job - Ulciscor has Kai and his Bludgeon Brigade to help him!  :blink:

I'm glad you liked it! Now I've introduced the leaders of the two opposing forces soon to go head-to-head in this fic, I've got many more plans for developing them further...but that's all you get to know so far!!!  :nyah

OK, maybe just a few things - yes, Thicknose is awesome, and his awesomeness will prove useful to the Great Valley. And, the fact that Kai was Ulciscor's right-hand man will become quite apparent to those in his company soon enough... :exactly

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ehh, Razor's still got a trick up his metaphorical sleeve - he's gone up against Redclaw numerous times :3
Oooh, the suspense! You must really enjoy having a one up on us! :DD
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Only sometimes.  :rolleyes: Sometimes I get overexcited about my plots and then frustrated I have nobody to tell about them... :blink:

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Just to confirm, this isn't the full next chapter, just a sneak preview, which I already posted on Skype. But...here it is!!! For those who haven't yet read it, I'm interested to hear thoughts!  :p

As the morning air danced with the twitter of birds and occasionally ripped up by the screech of a pterosaur, the other life-forms in the relative calm, sluggish dawn began to stir.
A small, furry mammal emerged gingerly from under a large rock where it had been resting the night before. It sniffed hopefully around, hoping to catch a whiff of some food in the wind.
As it exposed itself fully to the daylight, it didn’t get time to realise it would be the last mistake it ever made.
A huge sickle-shaped claw stamped down hard upon the hapless creature, snapping its spine in an eyeblink. The corpse was then tossed clean into the air before vanishing down the gullet of a certain blue striped fastbiter.

“Reckless as ever…” Screech murmured to himself, a satisfied smile playing on his lips. “The day they learn is the day Redclaw makes peace with hatchlings.”

Thud gave a derisive snort.

Screech glanced sideways at his brother.
“What?” he protested. “I’m just saying…”

“We’re leaving that behind us,” Thud insisted. “Redclaw’s still comatose, and hopefully for life. Though it makes me shudder to think what’ll happen if he ever comes back I discovers we’ve abandoned him…”

“That won’t be a problem,” Screech assured. “We’ve got support from many others now.”

“If you say so,” Thud sighed. “But I’m still not sure Zyro trusts us…”

“Of course he doesn’t!” Screech replied, as if the whole thing were almost laughable. “We were associated with Redclaw, and before then, Xal! But this little task we’re doing for him now will assure him that we ARE trustworthy and are determined to make amends with our fellow sharpteeth.”

Thud nodded, and didn’t make any further objections.
“Well,” he said. “It seems that Seizon’s re-grouping was a success after all, despite our best efforts…but according to our undercover agent, that Valley-bred little biter isn’t finding it all too well…”

“Yes, indeed…” Screech nodded. “I wonder if he’ll try and go running back to his friends?”

“You know Seizon would prevent that,” Thud countered. “And besides, who’s he got to go running back to?”

Screech stared at him.
“What are you talking about?” he demanded, his whole expression changing. “Those little upstarts we keep chasing around?”

“I saw them leaving the Valley with Ulciscor’s right-hand man, earlier…” Thud sighed.

“You mean the spiked longneck?” Screech demanded, his eyes suddenly fearful.

“Yes,” Thud nodded.

“But if he was back in the Great Valley…” Screech began.

“Then it won’t be long until the rest are back too,” Thud finished for him. “Yes…including the Bludgeon Brigade and Ulciscor himself…”

Screech gulped.

“Why are they suddenly mobilising now?” he asked, his voice quivering.

Thud shrugged.

“Could just be that now Ulciscor has managed to regroup with his forces, or perhaps they’re being intimidated by Xal’s own mobilisations. Possibly both. But what’s important to bear in mind is that Zyro’s forces – including us – can no longer stay at Threehorn Peak. It’s too close to the Valley. We’ll have to go somewhere else…”

“Where?”

“I don’t know…” Thud began to pace. “Just somewhere away from the Valley.”

“What about Seizon and the little biter?” Screech asked. “Surely we need to ensure that they don’t get to Xal-”

“It’s too late for that,” Thud interrupted. “Zyro will not put his comrades in immediate danger, unlike Xal…” he shook his head. “Rest assured, the Fanged Forest is quite a distance from the Valley, so they will not be in danger from Ulciscor either.” He smiled slightly.

“Besides,” he continued. “I’m confident our undercover agent will prove reliable when we’re not around.”

~0~

I'll continue writing this chapter as soon as I can. I hope none of you are worrying that this is starting to become too OC-centred... :oops

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I already told you on Skype what my thoughts are but I'm gonna copy them and paste it here :exactly
interesting...
I'm interested to see what the little conversation of Screech and Thud spoiled about Seizon's pack. Also hearing more about Screech and Thud. I must say the intro with the mammal getting eaten was especially well-done :)
And it was my idea to post this preview here :smile

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Gah! Why all the suspense?!
Just kidding... Wow, I love it! Never suspected Screech and Thud to just up and leave like that. Aha! So THEY'RE in on this as well? the plot thickens...
Sounds awesome as always, Dosu, good luck!
J. R. R. Tolkein

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
HAHAHAA...you'll never know...well, you will if you keep reading!  ;)

And yes, including these two was a way of making sure there weren't too many OCs. And trust them to have an undercover agent.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
What did I tell you, eh???  :lol

Chapter Six: In Pursuit of Power

As the morning air danced with the twitter of birds and occasionally ripped up by the screech of a pterosaur, the other life-forms in the relative calm, sluggish dawn began to stir.
A small, furry mammal emerged gingerly from under a large rock where it had been resting the night before. It sniffed hopefully around, hoping to catch a whiff of some food in the wind.
As it exposed itself fully to the daylight, it didn’t get time to realise it would be the last mistake it ever made.
A huge sickle-shaped claw stamped down hard upon the hapless creature, snapping its spine in an eyeblink. The corpse was then tossed clean into the air before vanishing down the gullet of a certain blue striped fastbiter.

“Reckless as ever…” Screech murmured to himself, a satisfied smile playing on his lips. “The day they learn is the day Redclaw makes peace with hatchlings.”

“We’re leaving that behind us,” Thud insisted. “Redclaw’s still comatose, and hopefully for life. Though it makes me shudder to think what’ll happen if he ever comes back I discovers we’ve abandoned him…”

“That won’t be a problem,” Screech assured. “We’ve got support from many others now.”

“If you say so,” Thud sighed. “But I’m still not sure Zyro trusts us…”

“Of course he doesn’t!” Screech replied, as if the whole thing were almost laughable. “We were associated with Redclaw, and before then, Xal! But this little task we’re doing for him now will assure him that we ARE trustworthy and are determined to make amends with our fellow sharpteeth.”

Thud nodded, and didn’t make any further objections.
“Well,” he said. “It seems that Seizon’s re-grouping was a success after all, despite our best efforts…but according to our undercover agent, that Valley-bred little biter isn’t finding it all too well…”

“Yes, indeed…” Screech nodded. “I wonder if he’ll try and go running back to his friends?”

“You know Seizon would prevent that,” Thud countered. “And besides, who’s he got to go running back to?”

Screech stared at him.
“What are you talking about?” he demanded, his whole expression changing. “Those little upstarts we keep chasing around?”

“I saw them leaving the Valley with Ulciscor’s right-hand man, earlier…” Thud sighed.

“You mean the spiked longneck?” Screech demanded, his eyes suddenly fearful.

“Yes,” Thud nodded.

“But if he was back in the Great Valley…” Screech began.

“Then it won’t be long until the rest are back too,” Thud finished for him. “Yes…including the Bludgeon Brigade and Ulciscor himself…”

Screech gulped.

“Why are they suddenly mobilising now?” he asked, his voice quivering.

Thud shrugged.

“Could just be that now Ulciscor has managed to regroup with his forces, or perhaps they’re being intimidated by Xal’s own mobilisations. Possibly both. But what’s important to bear in mind is that Zyro’s forces – including us – can no longer stay at Threehorn Peak. It’s too close to the Valley. We’ll have to go somewhere else…”

“Where?”

“I don’t know…” Thud began to pace. “Just somewhere away from the Valley.”

“What about Seizon and the little biter?” Screech asked. “Surely we need to ensure that they don’t get to Xal-”

“It’s too late for that,” Thud interrupted. “Zyro will not put his comrades in immediate danger, unlike Xal…” he shook his head. “Rest assured, the Fanged Forest is quite a distance from the Valley, so they will not be in danger from Ulciscor either.” He smiled slightly.

“Besides,” he continued. “I’m confident our undercover agent will prove reliable when we’re not around.”

Talk about mass hysteria.
Yesterday, only one youngster was missing. Today, there were six more, and the Great Valley’s populace were panicking yet again. As the individuals screamed the names of all of those who were missing, Grandpa Longneck eventually asserted his authority and called an emergency council meeting.

“Everyone please calm down,” he addressed the population. “Now, from what I can see, it’s highly likely that the young ones have gone after Chomper themselves, whose whereabouts and reason for disappearance remain a mystery.”

“Where’s the proof they’ve gone after him??” shrieked a paranoid far-walker hadrosaur, losing his head completely. “I tell you, this Valley is-”

“The proof?” Topsy snapped at him. “Why, because he’s their friend, that’s the proof! So, you’re saying you wouldn’t go after a friend and companion if he were to go missing?”

The hadrosaur’s anger flared.

“Are you calling me a coward, sir??!!”

“Yes, he is,” came a snide voice from behind him. Tria had joined the group.

“He tends to look down on others like that…”

Everyone suddenly grew uncomfortable. The last thing they needed at this point was for another round of verbal abuse from the pair of them. Strangely enough, it was the paranoid hadrosaur that came to their rescue.

“Listen, I don’t care about your domestic upheaval!” he yelled, creating an angry mutter from the council. This remark hurt their sense of unity.
“You’re a disgrace to the name of herd leader!” Kosh bellowed at him.

“I don’t care!” the hadrosaur bellowed back. “I’m not a coward – I brought my herd here because I thought it would be best for them. But it turns out, with all these missing kids, this Valley is haunted! I bet it’s the ghost of the Sharptooth who’s teeth still hang around Saurus Rock, or perhaps the Hidden Runner…”

“Rubbish.”
A new firm voice had entered the bickering. Many of the dinosaurs turned to see Thicknose stride into the debate.
“I’ve seen the Hidden Runner myself,” he said. “And he’s got even less backbone than you. But this insult hurling is childish, unnecessary and pointless. What we need to do is conduct a search party to find the children, who most likely are now in the Mysterious Beyond.”

Grandpa Longneck nodded.
“Yes – they probably won’t have gotten far, and the quickest way to catch up with them would be on the wing.”

“I agree,” piped up Petrie’s mother. “I’ll reform my search team, and we can go and have a look for them. If we don’t get any conclusive results, we’ll need a much more suitable search party.”

So saying, she took off. It seemed that the decision had already been made. Calm was restored to the Great Valley, but Thicknose couldn’t help but shake the feeling that a certain far-walker was missing also…

Chomper sighed with content as he lay back. Pyron wasn’t wrong – this way of catching fish was indeed highly professional.

“What did I tell you, eh?” Pyron said loudly, looking equally content. sighed with content as he lay back. Pyron wasn’t wrong – this way of catching fish was indeed highly professional.

“What did I tell you, eh?” Pyron said loudly, looking equally content. “You get better flavour that way!”

“Hmm…its certainly better than leafeater…” Chomper muttered.

Pyron’s smile slipped slightly.

“You didn’t have to bring that up you know…” he sighed. “You could just embrace this new style of eating…” he gestured to the small stream they had just been swimming in in order to catch fish. Now, Al was wading around in it, attempting to do the same thing they had just been doing.

“Perhaps you could give me a few lessons, Pyron?” he suggested lightly. It was the first time Chomper had heard him speak, and his voice reflected his personality – calm and mellow.

Pyron laughed.

“I should never give up trade secrets you know!” he said jovially.

“Well, secret is certainly going to be the word for it,” Al agreed. “Considering your feathers will get soaking wet with this hunting method.”

“And try to imagine me swimming in this,” Chomper chipped in. “With arms this size?”

“You’ve got a very good point,” Al replied pensively, slowly submerging himself until only his eyes and the top of his head were visible. Then, without warning, he cannoned his body upward sending a tidal wave of water onto the bank. Chomper, who was in the immediate range of fire, leapt aside and laughed.

“If that’s the best you can do, I’ve got nothing to worry about!” he teased. But he could say nothing more as he suddenly felt someone’s hand slap playfully into his backside, sending him jerking forward and tumbling with a splash into the water. The rest of his torments became gurgles.

“Well, you do with me around!” Lini smirked impishly, who had been the one to send Chomper into his wet predicament.

“You like to be predictable, don’t you?” Pyron sighed, flicking some water in her direction.

“How’s this for a prediction?” Saureen yelled, coming out of nowhere and cannon-balling into the water. “I declare a water war!”
And so it began, the ironically named water war between the five young sharpteeth that was actually quite a harmonious activity. For Chomper at least, the fact that the dinosaurs he was playing with were predators who had killed rountinely the previous day meant nothing. This dark hangover vanished. For all the difference it could have made, he could have been back in the Great Valley as he splashed water laughingly over the others.

Watching this frisky little game with a smile on his face was Seizon, who was sitting just outside the cave they had camped in last night. Finally, Chomper was beginning to get accustomed to life in this pack. And why shouldn’t he? Raised by leaf-eaters or not, he was still a Sharptooth, one of them, and should be treated as such.

Then, his companion who had been sleeping on top of him last night came to join him.

“Hi,” Nycha greeted him shyly.

“Morning,” Seizon smiled back at her. He inclined his head towards the water where the rest of the pack were. “Why don’t you join them?”

Nycha scowled.

“Don’t really like those wild gatherings,” she sighed. “And I don’t trust him.”

Seizon didn’t need to ask who she meant.

“Why?” he asked, not looking at her.

“Because he’s part of them. I don’t know how he managed to get ingrained so deeply into flattooth culture, but the fact that he is makes him our enemy.”

“Now, that’s where you’re wrong, Nycha,” Seizon replied. “It’s his familiarity with flattoothed dinosaurs that makes him the key to our victory.”

Nycha sighed again.

“You’re a wonderful leader, you know Seizon,” she said, a compliment which was merely absorbed into Seizon’s inflated ego. “But I don’t understand why you always act like we’re in a war…”

“You’re the one talking about enemies,” Seizon reminded her. “And this is more than just a war – it’s a revolution! Chomper here, given time, will help us.”

“And what makes you think he won’t help the leaf eaters?” Nycha snapped back.

“Because,” Seizon replied coldly. “I actually trust Chomper. Sure, he’s weedy and a little weird, but his heart is in the right place. And your paranoia of leaf eaters…what makes you think they are responsible for the deaths of your parents?”

Nycha didn’t reply.

“And even if they were, surely the true criminals in the act are the pack members who then tried to kill you? Flatteeth are stupid animals, its true, but the true villains are sharpteeth like Redclaw who…”

“You don’t know anything about it!” Nycha hissed at him.

“Oh yes? Pyron told me his side of the story, which I think sounds more likely,” Seizon replied firmly, standing up and walking over to the water, leaving Nycha standing in still shock.

“Alright everyone!” Seizon shouted at the struggling five still in the water. They all turned to look at him. The happy beam of sunshine that had be bouncing around in Chomper’s brain up until now dimmed a little, as he remembered that it was Seizon who had wanted him to do this in the first place.

“Well, I’m glad you’re all enjoying yourselves. Already we are a brilliant cohesive unit.” He smiled at them all, reminding Chomper strangely of the way Grandpa Longneck would smile at him, Littlefoot and the otherwise. The twinge of homesickness returned.

“But we can’t stay here any longer. Our mission is to get back to the Fanged Forest – all evidence suggests that the spiked longneck has left that area to come after us. And I’m pleased to say we’ve most likely given him the slip.”

Saureen exhaled in relief.

“And so now, we need to press on. It’s going to take quite a while, but hopefully once we get going, it won’t seem as long. And at the end of it, you shall meet Xal.” He smiled. “I know that only Saureen and I have ever had that privilege. But you are all brilliant – like a family to me-”
Chomper looked up, hardly daring to believe it.
“And so, you deserve a place in this new world also!” Seizon concluding, grinning that broad, if slightly mad, grin of his.

Lini applauded.

“She loves anything anyone says,” Pyron whispered to Chomper, who smirked in spite of himself.

“So what?” Lini demanded, who had overheard.

“Uh, question,” Al queried. “How far exactly is the Fanged Forest from the Great Valley?”

“It took us a month to get to the Great Valley,” Seizon replied. “We’re going to be taking a more direct route back this time, so it hopefully won’t take as long. Still several days walk, though, and we’ll be stopping to eat et cetera.”

Al looked slightly crestfallen. Chomper guessed he didn’t enjoy walking too much, which he thought was strange, considering this Sharptooth was a nomad. He however, was unsettled by the distance for another reason. If his friends had sent out a search party, being as far away from them as the Forest was meant it may take, to be put short, a little while…

Saureen obviously knew what he was thinking, because she placed her hand on his shoulder and whispered in his ear.
“Don’t worry – I think Xal’s plan means we’ll be coming back here soon…I know it’s not ideal, but it’s better than nothing…”
Chomper could only nod in agreement.

“Well, no point in slacking,” Seizon said briskly. “Let’s move out!”

And so, the pack of seven young sharpteeth began their long journey East. They didn’t say much as they walked, they were just following the leader, namely Seizon. As they exited the canyon they had taken refuge in, Chomper felt horribly exposed. He was expecting anything to come out and grab in, as, he knew, anything could. Seizon didn’t seem worried by this though. He, it seemed, was never worried by anything. Soon enough, Chomper’s legs began to ache, and he didn’t even notice Nycha sidle up to him and hiss in his ear.

“Don’t think I don’t know what you’re planning!”

“Huh?” he had no idea what she was on about.

“You know – you’re in league with flatteeth. I don’t know what Seizon was thinking bringing you along, but I know you’re planning to kill us all.”

Chomper felt like collapsing with exasperation. How many times had he generated mistrust because he was a Sharptooth? And now, in an ironic twist of fate, he was generating mistrust for being not Sharptooth enough. Hmm…

“You should never have come here sapsucker!” Nycha snarled angrily in his ear. “You don’t belong here and you should leave us now!”

At these words, Chomper’s blood boiled. Here it was again, the irony making him angry. Did she not even think for a single minute that he regretted and despised getting pulled into this group a thousand times more than she did?

In a moment of blind fury, Chomper whirled around and attempted a physical retaliation. He barged into her with his jaws opened wide, only for Nycha to counter with a kick in the face that sent him crashing to the ground. The taste of his own blood in his mouth only spurred his adrenalin rush and he leapt to his feet to continue brawling, his look of deep dislike only matched by the sheer loathing in hers when Seizon skidded between them and held the fiery fastbiter back, whereas Pyron took hold of Chomper’s arm and pulled him away.

“I’m not having any bad blood in my pack,” Seizon snapped at them. “If you can’t get along then just keep away from each other.”

“He started it!” Nycha growled.

Chomper almost charged at her again, but Pyron held him back.

“But you can’t honestly say you weren’t provoking him, sis,” Pyron reprimanded her.

Nycha didn’t reply. As they continued walking, Pyron fell back to behind the group slightly, pulling Chomper gently with him.

“Please don’t take anything she says seriously,” Pyron advised. “She’s just very jumpy about newcomers, even more so about leaf-eaters and those associated with them…” he sighed. “She hates them with a most deep-set passion.”

“Why’s that?” Chomper asked, though he wasn’t really interested, he was too busy focusing on keeping his temper under control.

“Well,” Pyron said uncertainly, “It’s just…well, she thinks they killed our parents and lost us our home.”

Chomper, suddenly listening, turned to him in shock.

“What…?”

“I’ll tell you about it some other time,” Pyron assured. “Right now, we’ve got to focus on making sure you and Nycha don’t kill each other.”

“Not much chance of that,” Chomper sighed. “She’s far stronger than I am…”

Pyron laughed.

“True! She could take on anyone – but that’s not what we need. I’m attempting to hold this whole group together. Seizon may claim to do that too, but he’s too busy, well – being Seizon.” He smiled.

“And I really think you can make that work,” he told Chomper. “Holding us together, I mean.”

“How so?” Chomper asked gloomily. “Nycha just wanted my guts for-”

“You’ll turn her around soon enough,” Pyron assured. “Besides – you’ve managed to convince leaf-eaters you’re trustworthy – now you’re just working the other way round!”

Chomper sighed, but nodded and continued walking.

As they continued, Seizon led them to a small woodland, with a few tall trees dotted around, and towering ferns which Spike would be ecstatic over. If only this were the Fanged Forest, Chomper thought dispiritedly. He had had enough of walking already.

Suddenly, Seizon’s nose twitched, as a slight but sustained scent wafted towards him.

“Oh…” he murmured. He then gestured to the six sharpteeth following him. “Wait a moment…”

As they stood watching him intently, Seizon crept forward a few paces before stopping and gazing at something they couldn’t see with wide-eyed horror.

“Get down!” he hissed, waving his hand frantically, and they all immediately ducked. The tall ferns gave them ideal coverage, and as the seven of them hid, Seizon gritted his teeth in frustration.

“Take a look,” he muttered. The other six peered over the top of the ferns and saw exactly what Seizon was referring to.

A huge, grey twoclaw Sharptooth was a short distance from them, standing at an angle so that he (hopefully) couldn’t see them. He was eating gluttonously from a small longneck carcass, but what made this individual so frightening was the obviousness of certain colours – one of his eyes was yellow, but the other was red. The Sharptooth owed that colour to a scar running the length of his face all the way down to his claw, which was red as well…

“Redclaw…” Chomper gasped, his insides vanishing.

“I thought Thud said he was in a coma,” Saureen breathed.

“You didn’t seriously believe him though, did you?” Seizon growled. “They were attempting to deceive us – they’re probably still working with him too…”

“We surely would have smelt them around here though, if that were the case,” Al interrupted. “Besides, you met them just as you were leaving the Valley – why would they be at such a distance from him?”

“There could be a whole host of reasons,” Seizon shot back. “Perhaps he stationed them there to feed us lies and hem us in.”

“He doesn’t look too interested in anything besides that carcass though,” Al pointed out. “And if they were planning to hem us in, why would Screech and Thud try to stop you from taking Chomper out of the Valley?”

Seizon considered.

“It could be a double bluff,” he suggested.

“Seems a bit unlikely,” Saureen reasoned. “Come on Seizon – Redclaw may have simply just woken up from his coma.”

Seizon turned to face them.

“All right – I suppose it doesn’t really matter. The fact still remains, though, that Redclaw is around, meaning that we’re going to have to take a detour. This’ll be uncharted territory, I’m afraid, and will be a longer walk.”

“Uncharted territory and a longer walk??” Lini protested. “That doesn’t sound particularly ideal…”

“Well, if you think it would be better walking in the direct path of that monster,” Seizon gestured to Redclaw, “then be my guest.”

Nobody raised any further objections.

As the Bright Circle got higher in the sky, the heat of the day and the exhaustion of walking for so long was getting to Littlefoot. Sweat trickled down his forehead as he struggled onward. Occasionally he glanced back at the gigantic form of Kai. Said longneck didn’t seem exhausted at all, but with his head high up into the sky, it was difficult to be sure.

They arrived at a small clump of trees, and Littlefoot thought that at last they could finally get some shade, when Kai said,
“Alright, short break to eat and rest.”
His tone of voice was strange – almost as though he were a herd leader, giving them direct orders. But Littlefoot was too relieved to dissect this any further. Besides, Spike didn’t need telling twice, and immediately bolted down a clump of ferns.

Kai began to eat too, stripping mouthfuls of leaves off the tree in a steady rhythm. Littlefoot was also helping himself to a few treestars, when he was approached by Cera and Ruby, both of whom looked apprehensive.

“Littlefoot, a word please,” Cera said, inclining her head. And so, Littlefoot let them lead him away to an area a little distance from the rest.

“OK, basically,” Cera explained. “It’s your friend Kai…”

Ruby nodded. “If you’ve noticed what we’ve noticed, then you would have noticed that he’s rude, arrogant, demanding, and…well…there’s just something really strange about this stranger.”

“Yes,” Cera agreed. “I mean, be honest – how many far-walkers come to the Valley alone?”

“Doc?” Littlefoot suggested.

“Yeah, but unlike Doc, there’s nothing heroic about him!” Cera scowled, gesturing angrily at Kai, who was still eating stolidly.

Littlefoot sighed.

“Yeah guys, I know what you mean. But if we hadn’t taken him along, we would have told the grown-ups. Besides, look at his spikes! If we run into any sharpteeth, like Redclaw, he’ll be able to fend them off easily!”

Cera and Ruby nodded, but still looked troubled. Kai, however, who had heard every word of the conversation suddenly spoke up.

“This green food is brilliant,” he said. “It honestly is. Shame your friend isn’t here – I’m sure he would enjoy it.”

Ducky opened her mouth to tell him that Chomper didn’t eat green food, but Petrie immediately zipped down from the tree branch he was resting on and held her beak shut. There was no need to let Kai know any more than he needed to, and so he just laughed nervously.

“Yeah…heh, heh…that’s too bad…”

But it was such an odd question, at such an odd time, and Littlefoot couldn’t help wondering, following the chilling look Kai then gave them all, whether he knew more than he was letting on.

The dark eyes misted over as its owner caught sight of what was once his home. The Great Valley…such a beautiful place. And it hadn’t just been his home.

It had been his domain.

Ulciscor strutted over to a small oasis near the mountainous walls to see his contact – a nervous looking onehorn, who kept on swallowing and swivelling his head with the tic that was slowly taking over his body. Ulciscor would have much rather used one of his loyal Bludgeoners, but having one of them as a spy in the Great Valley would have attracted too much attention from those who had been around in his day. Ulciscor wasn’t even sure there were any left, but it was better safe than sorry.

“What news?” Ulciscor asked coldly when he reached the onehorn.

“News…?” the onehorn swallowed. “Well, umm…”

Because of his slowness to reply, Ulciscor struck him hard with his tail. The onehorn yelled in pain as a thin, shining wound appeared on his skin.

“I do not have all day!” Ulciscor snarled. “Tell me what I want to know, or this’ll be the end of the line for you.”

The onehorn swallowed again, before saying,

“It would appear that the Sharptooth has already left the Valley.”

Ulciscor gave another snarl of anger, and the onehorn cowered.

“Xal’s work I suppose…I presume Kai has gone in pursuit?”

“Yes sir – he’s keeping a close watch on a bunch of kids who were friendly with it.”

“Excellent. Well, is that all?”

“Umm…” the onehorn looked even more nervous now. “Well…no sir…”

“Well then? Spit it out!”

“It would seem sir,” the onehorn explained. “That one of the kids in that group was a spiketail who had no parents in the Great Valley, so was adopted by a family of swimmers.”

Ulciscor wrinkled his nose in disgust. “Actual integration of inferior dinosaurs? How the Great Valley has changed since I was there…but is that all you wanted to tell me?”

“No!” the onehorn replied. He looked absolutely terrified, but was determined that Ulciscor understand. “I had my suspicions sir, and so I did a bit of research – meeting with various leaf-eaters and what not, and it turns out…” he gulped once more before saying: “It turns out that this spiketail is a direct descendant from Omendric’s line! He’s the son of Ronan and Opal!”

A shocked silence greeted these words. Ulciscor’s eyes became wide and horror-struck. He gazed up at the sky for a while, taking in what his servant had just told him, thinking fast, before saying slowly,
“If the residents of the Valley hear about this, they’ll want him as undisputed leader, whereas that is my job.” He now looked furious.

“Well, if he was found without any parents, it’s likely Ronan and Opal are dead. That’ll make things easier. But in any case, we need to mobilize quickly. I must send word to Kai to dispose of the spiketail brat as quickly as possible.”

“But I don’t know where they are!” the onehorn protested.

Ulciscor glared at him.

“I wasn’t talking about you,” he snapped, his long tail snaking around the onehorn’s neck. “You’ve served your purpose.”

A resounding snap of a neck cut harshly through the still air, and the old onehorn fell to the ground, never to move again.

~0~

And omigosh there you have it!!! Talk about a revelation! Unless you expected it already. So, Spike is heir apparent to the Great Valley, eh? That'll throw up some dispute with Ulciscor, WHO WE NOW SEE OUTSIDE OF A FLASHBACK FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!  :blink: What's he up to? And what's going on with Screech and Thud, Redclaw, Seizon, Chomper and the rest of the pack? Will Nycha succeed in killing Chomper? What do you think of her personality, as well as everyone else's? These questions will be answered soon...I hope... :oops

Anyway, give me your thoughts, and thanks for reading!!  :DD

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
If I were to describe how I feel about Nycha, it would be in one sentence: I don't like her at all.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Nah, at the moment, she's not overly likeable... :lol

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
After reading it the first time I was impressed as always :angel

Now reading it more carefully to give you the feedback you deserve in my view ;)

Screech seems to have some humour here :lol:

I knew the grown-ups wouldn't just do nothing but holding a council. Obviously, there ought to happen some arguments. I wonder who this 'hadrosaur' (I recomment using LBT-names --> just Swimmer) is and whether he'd have any further importance in your story.
Of course Thicknose knows more than anyone else... very interesting.

Chomper sighed with content as he lay back. Pyron wasn’t wrong – this way of catching fish was indeed highly professional.

“What did I tell you, eh?” Pyron said loudly, looking equally content. sighed with content as he lay back. Pyron wasn’t wrong – this way of catching fish was indeed highly professional.

“What did I tell you, eh?” Pyron said loudly, looking equally content. “You get better flavour that way!”
I think you messed something up here.
It's weird to imagine Sharpteeth playing just as the Gang would do, I wonder if Chomper will accept to live with the Sharpteeth. After all, he isn't fully trusted by everyone
“It’s his familiarity with flattoothed dinosaurs that makes him the key to our victory.”
You keep surprising me, Toby :DD That's a great motive and a great sentence, too!
“And this is more than just a war – it’s a revolution!
*-* Sounds like there will be more action later in the fic :P:
Nice argument between Nycha and Seizon. There seems to be a dark secret about Nycha..
So the pack has to reach the Fanged Forest where Xal would be. That has a lot of potential since, as Chomper pointed out, the search party has decreased chances of finding him, not to mention the Gang. Will they go that far to find Chomper? And what will the grown-ups do? So many things could happen :wow
Nycha seems to be not a so nice fellow since she's telling Chomper her 'thoughts'
Chomper felt like collapsing with exasperation. How many times had he generated mistrust because he was a Sharptooth? And now, in an ironic twist of fate, he was generating mistrust for being not Sharptooth enough. Hmm…

Oh the irony :smile
Aaaaand we see Redclaw *le gasp* I bet he'll cause some problems in later chapters :yes
I think you did a great job writing the part of the Sharpteeth pack (Gang of Sharpteeth :P:)

Be quieter Cera and Ruby!!! Kai seems to stay a mystery... at least to the Gang.

Ulciscor is a true bad-ass. Killing this onehorn... so mean and.. whatever...
Actually Spike should be proud but he rather should be watchful over Kai... That's what you talked about, Toby :DD Spike being the legitimate leader of the GV :o Seriously, THAT would be awesome, someone who can't talk would lead a whole valley. That'd make Ducky his speaker I guess since she's the only dinosaur who is able to understand Spike.

You keep impressing me and leaving me speechless. The balance between action, dialogue, thought and description is very good imo.  
K.E.E.P  I.T  U.P!!!

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think you messed something up here.

Yeah, I did... :cry Oh well, thanks for pointing it out!  :lol

And yes, Spike as Great Valley leader would be awesome...that is if Ulciscor and Kai let him stay around for that long...

And yeah, attempting to get to the Fanged Forest will probably cause a lot of problems, if not only matched by those events about to unfold in the Valley...

But yes, I enjoy shocking my readers.  :lol Hope there will be more surprises to come...

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Very nice chapter as always; I don't think I realized just how dark this story was until the last wo chapters. Lots of flashbacks and forgotten (or untold) histories coming about. The Gang seems to be in over their heads here, especially with Kai. I'm still not too sure about him :p

Ulcisor, now there's a villain! Cold and cunning and ruthless, I'll be inerested in reading more about him, especially as I have the feeling this will boil down (or up) to an exciting climax.
Keep up the great work!
J. R. R. Tolkein