The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 185173

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Certainly not a scene shown in the original movie.
It would be interesting to know if it is from an outcut scene or a fake. The very first image posted in this thread was also from a page where they sold animation sells (not not for little money) but that one is almost certain to be a fake.
This last one you posted looks more authentic. It is very difficult to tell who exactly the figure above Petrie's and Littlefoot's head is.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
I have two questions:

1) What is that yellow thing in the mud?

2) Is that a lizard next to it?

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Isn't that Spike and Ducky in the foreground? I'm more interested in who that unconcious dinosaur in the background is.

When I first looked at it, I thought it could be part of the shot where Cera leaves after being rescued from the Pachycephalosauruses.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I don’t know, that cel looks fake to me. :huh: I think the characters are just pulled from various shots in the movie and superimposed on the background. Note the way Cera is shaded compared to everyone else; I think she was taken from the shot where she is in the crevasse, just before she jumps onto Sharptooth’s tail and slides down. The others I think are from the scene Almaron mentioned, where they are calling for Cera to come back after saving her from the domeheads, with their relative positions moved around a bit (I’m certain of Ducky and pretty sure of Littlefoot and Petrie, though Spike may be from a different scene).

I think the small figure over Littlefoot’s head is actually Sharptooth in the scene where the gang sees him climbing the mountainside, shortly before the final battle. I’m not entirely sure where the backdrop comes from, but I’m guessing it’s probably the scene where Littlefoot and Cera are playing in the pond and encounter Sharptooth for the first time.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
That's the tar pit scene with character cels added from various scenes (notice the lines in mud to place littlefoot's figure). Like that 'unconscious dino' which is sharptooth sniffing while climbing up the hill.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile

This background here could be from the original ending, without the mom's "ghost". As opposed to the one seen in the cut version, which they could have moved to the end fit the ghost scene:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The posture of the characters is the same as it is in the ending in the movie. The only thing that's really changed is the background.

Edit: Nevermind, posted this before I saw the modified post.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nope. That picture is NOT from an outcut scene. It was created by a land before time fan named Christian who hasn't been on the GOF in ages. He put the background of one screenshot I sent him behind the foreground of another image I sent him. For some reason the resulting image has become rather far spread over the internet, but it has nothing to do with an outcut scene.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I also noticed that in the trailers you'll see littlefoot running far away in the tunnel to the great valley, but in the movie you can't. Which indicates of extra cuts to make the moved scene to fit in the ending smoother.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Aug 26 2010 on  02:42 PM
Nope. That picture is NOT from an outcut scene. It was created by a land before time fan named Christian who hasn't been on the GOF in ages. He put the background of one screenshot I sent him behind the foreground of another image I sent him. For some reason the resulting image has become rather far spread over the internet, but it has nothing to do with an outcut scene.
The picture inadvertently seen around the world and thought to be real.  :wow

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I could be wrong but do you realize that on the large colored versions of the press pictures 2 and 3 you can see at page 6 Littlefoot has only a small black pupil. In the movie you can see a short close up of his face after the discovery of the valley and this is the only moment which also shows his eye with a little black pupil.
Could be a further prove for a rearranged scene.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Do you own that cel, Pikkutassu? If so, wow! :wow

I recognize that image. It's the same as one of the pictures in the very first post in this thread (Well, part of the image, anyway).

I will NEVER understand why they decided to cut that scene out of the movie. :crazy Even if they were trying to reduce the length of the film (I'll never understand where they got that idea either :rolleyes), it seems ridiculous to cut a scene that plays a part in the introduction of a major character. <_< :bang

Sorry if that came off as a rant. Just thinking out loud.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Given the fact that the movie was one of the shortest of its kind already, that kids would hardly be scared by a scene about a sleeping dinosaur being lured to come along by a branch of berries (a scene by the way that gave further foundation to Spike's later adoption), that images of the scene were used for the display of cinema showcases, and that the next scene in the movie does show Ducky luring Spike on with the branch I seriously don't know why they felt they had to cut the scene :(

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
It's likely they wanted to tone down the "racism" in the movie, as cera didn't want spike to come along. I can't think of other reason.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
In case of racism, I would think that a child is the best address to show such a problem.  If you learn that this is wrong when you are young then it is better then if you grow up with prejudices.

Besides that Spielberg, who is responsible for the cuts, isn't known for harmless movies without racism.

Edit: The shown cel, I think its from Ebay, shows the same content like you can see on the cinema picture at page 1 and according to the frame number of another cel from ebay its the Spike-scene.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well this is a legit one, and if we compare we can clearly see a different background being used:

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Yesterday I read the "Illustrated Story"-book for the first time. Now it seems to me that the end of the movie is also different to the original ending. In the book the lift up-scene is after the death of Sharptooth and at the end of the story Littlefoot is on the top a windy hill alone with the cloud of his mother and talks to her one last time.
In the movie the final scene is also situated on the top of an hill and above the hill you can see a cloud that could be the mother.
Is it be possible that they switched the single original Littlefoot with the figures from a deleted scene after the death of Sharptooth and arranged them with the hill-background to create an end that is more epic and final?

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
There was a different ending; there's several pics on this page already of clips from this. Also, if you are lucky enough to own the soundtrack (I do, yay me!), you can actually hear where the missing scenes went. I posted a picture analysing the soundtrack ages back; I think it's on this page, but for sake of ease, I'll retell it here. Judging by the way the music goes (in other words, where the music is played in the film);

The alternate ending starts immediately after the GOF splits in two, and Cera leads Spike, Ducky & Petrie into the "Mountains That Burn". Immediately after Ducky and Spike seperate from the group, we return to Littlefoot climbing the hill, where he hears his mother's voice calling him. Littlefoot sees her shape in cloud form, and follows her as she leaves, ending up on a rocky plateau. The sun comes out through the clouds, revealing the Great Valley below. Littlefoot, realising he's found it, happily jumps through the upper part of the waterfall. However, he realises that Cera will be leading the others the wrong way, and so he goes back to get them (rescuing them, and heading to the large lake). At the lake, they hear Sharptooth moving over the mountains. Littlefoot realises that he will follow them into the valley, and thus they plan to get rid of him (there's a good minute or so of music here that's not in the film; presumably this scene went longer). Their plan is successful, despite Petrie getting pulled down with Sharptooth as he falls. However, he is alright, and Littlefoot leads the others from the rocky point above the lake to the entrance to the valley.

You can see evidence for this in the film. When Littlefoot is on that rocky part at the end, and sees the ghost of his mother, look at his surroundings. Not only can you see the lake below him, but above that is the ramp and rock that they push on Sharptooth. When he runs after her, you can see he's running up the same hill he was going up when Cera deserted. Finally, when Sharptooth is seen climbing around the lake, you can see green plants growing on the right side of the screen; where the Valley is. In addition to this, the air is of a deeper colour, compared to the barren colours of the rest of the film.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Yes that what you describe is pretty much the story of the book.
But what I mean is the last scene of the movie, when you can see them all together and when they hug each other. In the book this scene takes place before they enter the GV and at the last page of the book Littlefoot (alone on the top of an hill) talks to his mother.
What confuses me is that in the movie the final hug-scene is situated on an hill and you can see a cloud above the hill.
So maybe the cutters took only the animated figures from a deleted hug-scene after Petries rescue and replaced the single Littlefoot figure on the hill with them for a better ending.