The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 185171

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
We all do. If it is you're one of the only members that has it.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I read a review about the movie and the 1988 release was 73 minutes long. The newer releases are 69 minutes. That means at least 4 more minutes of footage was cut from the film prior to its theatrical release.  :o

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yep because those four minute's where parts that where banned from the movie.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
And all the reviews are from November 18, 1988, the release date.  :huh:

Apple

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I was finally able to check my tape. Sadly, the fight scene was no different than the later release.  :(

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Did you also look for the scene where they lure Spike with berries or if Littlefoot finds the GV before the fight with Sharptooth?

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Those definitely won't be in there. They were the part of the scenes cut before theatrical release. I'm on the hunt for a VHS that includes certain scenes cut by Universal. Such as the Shaprtooth fight scene where Littlefoot's mother is bit and it's actually shown.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've noticed that. I saw the cut version recently and I saw where most of those parts where cut. I looked at Pikk's post supposedly it was longer then 73 minutes. So more was cut from the movie. This is gonna be unsolved.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Justin1993,Jul 23 2011 on  03:47 AM
^ Those definitely won't be in there. They were the part of the scenes cut before theatrical release. I'm on the hunt for a VHS that includes certain scenes cut by Universal. Such as the Shaprtooth fight scene where Littlefoot's mother is bit and it's actually shown.
Cuts by Universal?
The fight scenes were the first scenes which were cut before release.

And to be honest if even the first VHS tapes are cut then I don't think that something uncut was released. The only thing that we can hope for is some kind of press release, because such a version could be the reason for the runtime difference in the previews.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ On VHS releases before the 90's re-release, the fight scene did show when Sharptooth bit Littlefoot's mother.
brief portions of the scene which involved the mother's neck and back being bitten have since been edited out of home video releases and television airings
And even after that, Universal did more editing to bring it to a tone closer to the sequels. If you want to see my theory on how the scene may have gone originally, you can find it here.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
But Apple said that his version is from 1989 and it seems to be full cut and the same version that we know.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah, but I've noticed something about the dates printed on VHS and DVD cases. So, of course you have the original release date usually printed somewhere on the case. But, there is also a copyright date. This would be the date when the DVD or VHS was manufactured. Especially on old movies that get re-releases. For example

If Apple has the case his tape comes with, he could tell us if it has the copyright date.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
But we need to know how much was cut. Over eleven minutes where cut from the movie.

Apple

• Ruby
    • View Profile
On the back of the case at the very bottom it says this: © 1989 MCA Home Video, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Printed in USA.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile

Apple

• Ruby
    • View Profile

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ah okay. Or many it was released on VHS in 1989. Or Universal owned rights to it that time.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That is strange. And what's even more strange is that, contrary to what it says on my DVD case, my DVD movie is only 1hr 8min and 47sec long.  :huh:

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Very strange. And the movie was originally one hour and twenty minutes long.