The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Microsoft Won't Let Gamers Earn off of YouTube

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
For those that don't know how YouTube's Partnership works, it's simply that, if your video (Considering it falls under laws where it can earn money.) makes enough views, you can then have it generate revenue with ads and you'll earn money from it.

However, Microsoft decides to change all that by not allowing you to make any money from any gameplay footage you show of their games.  Even if it falls under legal parameters that would allow you to do so. (ie walkthroughs, let's plays, reviews, etc.)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...g-in-on-YouTube

I have only one thing to say about this.

Look Microsoft, I don't care how much you hate Google, but doing this will only hurt you as well.

It's just a dumb move in the end.  Not worth it by a long shot.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

See ya later!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
This will hurt so many Let's Players that it's not even funny. What the hell, Microsoft?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if any will start to boycott microsoft and urge their viewers to do the same.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
Wow, really? Microsoft?  Nice going...now I can't post gameplays for Halo...(darn)...well, only thing to do is boycott like Kor said and possibly petition, (not that it will have any effect, though.)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
This seems like quite a petty thing to do on Microsoft's part. It's not like they're really losing out by letting people earn money from those videos on youtube. Actually, wasn't it pretty much free advertising?

I've never made money off youtube videos so I'm not sure, but isn't the amount you can earn off of it pretty low too?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,Oct 15 2012 on  05:50 PM
This seems like quite a petty thing to do on Microsoft's part. It's not like they're really losing out by letting people earn money from those videos on youtube. Actually, wasn't it pretty much free advertising?

I've never made money off youtube videos so I'm not sure, but isn't the amount you can earn off of it pretty low too?
Okay, in order.

Yes, it is free advertising and I don't get why some companies don't get that and want to so badly just stick to the old model of advertising by themselves and not having fans and critics offer the extra push most stuff needs these days to have a higher chance of success.

The old ways just don't work anymore and it's time to adapt.

As for the YouTube Earnings thing, from what I understand it mainly depends on the amount of views you get.  From what I hear, it can be anywhere from 3 to 7 figures a month.  They also manually check for bots so you don't cheat the system.

So yeah, it can earn you some good money, but you really have to be good at what you are presenting to really have a chance in the end. (Or in the case of a few that I won't name, (un)laughably bad at it.)

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Letsplaying should be nothing more than a hobby. Outside of that, I feel the pain for legitimate game commentary channels

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thinking about it know. It's only Microsoft doing it so far. We should really worry when all gaming companies begin to fellow. But if you go down to ''Account settings'' and then to Monetization which is at ''Channel settings'' read ''Which videos are NOT eligible'' under Guidelines and Information.

Your video is not eligible if it contains content that you didn't create or get permission from its creator to use. You need to be able to show written permission for the following video elements:

Audio: recorded music, live performances, cover songs, background music, etc.
    Visuals: images, logos, software, video game footage, etc.
    Any other content you don't own worldwide commercial usage rights to.

Examples of videos that are NOT eligible

Your video contains a song you purchased for personal use (e.g., bought on iTunes or in a store) but didn't obtain a commercial license.
    You found a video on the Internet and you cannot prove that it's in public domain.
    You are only singing words of your favorite copyrighted song
    You have used content from someone else without permission, but you haven't yet received a copyright notice on your video.
    You edit together or "mash-up" other works
    You only use 30 seconds of a song or video clip
    Your video does not provide proper attribution or credits as required by a license.

If your video is not eligible, it may be removed from YouTube.

So if your not allow to record in-game video then why is YouTube full of it?