The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Great Plague

Ducky123 · 333 · 63517

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
They were letting them go... Ruby held back a gawk of surprise when she heard Mr. Threehorn - Mr. Threehorn! - agree with them!
Hearing those words gave the fast runner a surge of energy. If he believed in them, what other doubt was there? They were going to do this! They were going to succeed!

She glanced sideways at Littlefoot and mouthed. We can do it, right? Despite how ready she felt, there was that tiny seed of doubt in the back of her mind, not yet taking sprouting, but definitely buried there.
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"So we all agree!" Grandpa spoke up. "Our children will go on their journey to get us the cure we all need!"
Turning to the children, he said: "Children, do your plagued folks a favor and stay together. Alone you're weak, but together you're strong! Do not forget that!"
=V=V=V=V=V=V=V=V=V=V=V=V=V=V=V=
"Make sure you all stay safe, my tough Threehorn!" Tria reminded Cera.
Inactive, probably forever.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"Yes, remember to never separate and go right there and back."  Mama Swimmer said holding her hands together with clear worry.  

"And be as careful as you can." Mama Flyer said with concern and worry on her face as well.

--------------

"Don't worry Tria, I'll protect the others." Cera said confidently.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
"You no have to worry Mama!" Petrie stated reassuringly. "We be careful! Right, friends?" The others nodded in agreement.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Whatever disagreements they had with the way the adults ran the valley, whatever long and hard times that arose because the rock circle either over or underreacted to conflict, the people who had gathered here were Littlefoot's kin. Littlefoot wasn't born in the Great Valley, but in his heart he was a Valley dinosaur, and he imagined he always would be. That was because whatever flaws  that were imbedded in the infrastructure of this community (and he knew there were more than the 'perfect' valley cared to advertise),he loved this place so dearly because he cared so much about these people.
That was why a smile a small and bright as a diamond grew on his face as soon as the arguments started to sway in their favor. True, it was a symbolic victory, but he truly felt their mission would be easier on them if they went with the valley's blessing, instead of just stealing away into the night unannounced.
"We'll make it back safely, and we'll have enough nightflowers for everyone," Littlefoot told his grandma and grandpa, nuzzling their legs. "I promise."
As he looked over to the others, he caught Ruby mouthing to him. He mouthed back: If we watch out for each other, then yes. They could do this. Now only one question remained: should they head out now, or risk waiting until the morning?

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It seemed that Littlefoot was having those thoughts as well. Ruby bit the edge of her beak again. It would probably mean more waiting, but it would also lift a huge weight off the children's shoulders if the adults gave their permission.

She cleared her throat. "May-may we...? I mean to say, do you... ahem," this wasn't going so well. "What I mean to say is what I wanted to ask; this is the right thing to do?"
J. R. R. Tolkein

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Mr. Threehorn looked at Ruby with an eyebrow raised. He couldn’t tell if the girl wasn’t satisfied with the rock circles reaction, or if she was having second thoughts.
“Ruby, let me give you a piece of advice I’ve been trying to get through Mr. Longneck's skull for almost five years now: worrying about what’s right just brings things to a crashing halt. What's important is realizing what you can and can’t do, and lets look at the facts: You kids can go get the medicine we need, and we can’t. You kids have shown that you're capable of navigating the land of mistsó and we can’t. Unless you want to try to flag down a far walker herd and beg them to get the nightflowers instead, you’re our only chance.” The Threehorn blined in absurd alarm as he saw a look of thoughtfulness  suddenly cross Ruby’s face, and gave a scowl that was the spitting image of his daughter's. “And I’d rather keel over right now than let a bunch of farwalkers come to my rescue!" he growled, turning away and grumbling to himself.
Littlefoot looked to his grandparents. “… I guess… we’d better get some sleep, shouldn't we? We’ll need to leave early in the morning.” He wanted this, but he didn’t like this. His grandparents were sick: part of him wanted to stay in the valley and take care of them. It seemed so much more immediate and involved... but he knew it wasn’t what they needed. They needed medicine. He didn’t agree with Mr. Threehorn that doing what was right didn't matter, but he did agree with him on one thing: sometimes it did come down to what you can and can’t do, and the only way he and his friends could help the valley as getting that night flower.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"I guess we should go home now and eat something and drink something and go to our nest early in the evening, yep, yep, yep!" Ducky chirped. She was just happy that they were allowed to come to the rescue of their Mummy's and Daddy's, oh and Grandparents, as well as for all the other Great Valleians like Kosh or Mr. Thicknose.
"I actually can not believe it, Spiky, can you, little brother?

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
"Let's hope we find those flowers quickly." Chomper finally made himself know again. He had staid WAY in the background when the grown-ups had been talking and had just listened to the conversation.... and worried, but he wasn't gonna tell his friends that.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"We have to agree on a place to meet." Cera said looking around at her friends.  "That would be faster then wandering from nest to nest to find out so and so already left looking for you and we spend half the morning looking for each other."

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ruby nodded. "Maybe we should meet where we can all remember," she suggested. She looked at Littlefoot. "Where did you meet last to go and get these nightflowers?"
J. R. R. Tolkein

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Littlefoot cast his eyes down sheepishly. "Well... we didn't exactly all go together, at first," Littlefoot said, shrugging his shoulders a little. The action caused his anterior torso to bob downward a little. "I ran off with Ali-- you remember meeting her-- to go get some nightflowers after the adults said it was too dangerous to go themselves." His eyes flickered to the gang-- particularly Cera-- before flickering back to Ruby and opened his mouth to sidestep the particulars.
"I met up with everyone else farther along the trip at a cave that linked the mysterious beyond to the land of mists. I don't know of any other routes, so we'll have to take it again."
Having used this explanation to successfully circumvent that awkward little bit of history, Littlefoot returned to Ruby's original question.
"The cave is around the same area that white-bark forest is in the south west, so we should meet around the western entrance."
He felt a yawn come about him, and unsuccessfully tried to fight it off. After all the fretting, running about, and his own near drowning experience, he had to will himself to keep his mind in the game.
"It'll take a bit of travel to get there, but once we reach the cave, it leads directly to the land of mists. Now, I'm gonna suggest we take a bit of a longer path than the one we had taken last time to avoid running into Red Claw. What do you guys think of that?"

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ruby nodded. "Oh yes! I remember Ali." She didn't seem to notice Littlefoot's hesitance to explain, or his dodgy answers. His answers satisfied her, so there was nothing to do but move on, right?
In the back of her mind, though, Ruby noticed. But it most likely wouldn't come to light till most necessary. For right now, she was oblivious.

"The cave sounds like a good place to meet because we will know where it is. And if we don't, you can lead us there." She tilted her head, just noticing how tired Littlefoot seemed. "We should get to sleep because we will need our strength for this journey," she said gently, laying a claw on Littlefoot's shoulder.
J. R. R. Tolkein

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"But Ali did come back for the rest of us." Cera said, leaving out that she at first didn't want to go with Ali and decided to go with the others after they had left, to help Littlefoot, eventually catching up with them.  She saw no need to mention any of that stuff, it would be a waste of time and would not add anything.  Besides she did go after all.

"That sounds like a good place.  I think we all know where it is, or most of us do.  Those who don't can go with someone who does." Cera said.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Littlefoot yawned. "Then it's set," he said during the yawn. "In the morning, we'll gather a few more supplies, say goodbye to our folks, and we'll be on our way."
He smiled, and tired as it was, he made sure he put his heart in it.
"This kind of thing happens so often, but I don't want to ever take it for granted: I wouldn't go on this trip with anyone but you six. You guys are my brothers and sisters, and that makes your families my families too. We're gonna get those nightflowers and we're going to cure everyone in the Great Valley."

He put his forepaw out to the center of their huddle, and glanced at everyone to invite them to join in. "For the gang, and for the great valley."

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ruby smiled, eagerly placing her front claw out as well. Littlefoot's words filled her with a new courage, stronger than any she ever felt while going out into the Mysterious Beyond.
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
"That was a nice speech, Littlefoot, yep, yep, yep!" Ducky chirped and placed her hand in the huddle as well. "We all have a family, we all ARE a family and all Great Valleians are a big family, too! So we will not only help our family but also our family, yep, yep, yep!"
Ducky looked at her little brother Spike and grinned. She knew this guy since he was born and she loved him since that day. She put a sweet smile on her face directing it to Spike.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Spike grunted his approval. What Ducky was saying was true - this Valley was a paradise and he had a family here, despite losing his true one before he was even born.
He placed a big, heavy paw in the huddle.

(Ooh, look, I'm back...)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"Yea, we're family.  Just look at what we've been through together." Cera said smiling to the others.  She put her hand in beside Littlefoot's.   "There's nothing we can't do together." She said looking at the others.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Littlefott yawned widely. "Alright. Get a good night's sleep everyone. We're all going to need it."
Feeling that was a good note to go out on, Littlefoot gave a final smile to his friends, and then turned to lumber off with his grandparents.